collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: John Oliver - Paid Family Leave  (Read 5825 times)

jesmu84

• All American
John Oliver - Paid Family Leave
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zIhKAQX5izw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zIhKAQX5izw</a>

Between this and sick leave, it feels like we really have mixed-up priorities when it comes to work-life balance.

🏀

• All American
Re: John Oliver - Paid Family Leave
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »
Do we need a John Oliver post after every episode?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »

I vote "YES"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »

Although I think our discussions here have been much more reasonable, I will move them to the Politics board if people want.

For any faults or flaws Oliver has in his topics, they at least provide for some relevant, interesting discussion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
We can have any other kind of post here...why not a John Oliver post?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:52:11 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
I like his (writers) stuff, but maybe just a John Oliver thread?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »
Going to the taping on the 31st, should be fun.

Didn't even know this was the law.  That's pretty crapty.  Thought it was full pay for the first six weeks which my company has and which seemed appropriate.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
Going to the taping on the 31st, should be fun.

Didn't even know this was the law.  That's pretty crapty.  Thought it was full pay for the first six weeks which my company has and which seemed appropriate.

My employer has less than 50 people so we don't even get unpaid FMLA time

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
Just watched this week's show on HBO GO. What a surprise; John Oliver created mascots. Just like every other episode.

Pretty formulaic, especially when you consider he has to do only one episode per week.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »
I vote "YES"

+1

Speaking of viral videos, if you want to enjoy/burn a good 60 minutes or so, look up Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »

What state are you working in?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
Just watched this week's show on HBO GO. What a surprise; John Oliver created mascots. Just like every other episode.

Pretty formulaic, especially when you consider he has to do only one episode per week.

I'm a fan of Spike the TSA Hedgehog, who collects four ounce bottles of shampoo and Swiss army knives.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »

My wife is technically employed by the State of Illinois... and despite there being more than 50 employees on the State payroll, the State of Illinois is exempt from FMLA (presumably because, collectively, all Illinois state employees do less work than 50 private-sector employees).  Though they do give her disability pay which basically amounts to half-salary for four weeks, but only after she's already been out of work for four weeks.  But here's the kicker... the disability pay gets deducted from her pension benefit.  But give credit to Illinois, they are kind enough to allow her to use up all of her vacation and sick time during those first four weeks that are unpaid - if you even have anything left after your OB/Gyn appts. have swallowed it up over the past nine months - and, if you're not back to work the beginning of week 9, another four weeks unpaid.  In all... it's nominally better than FMLA since you're at least getting two weeks of pay from a pension that very likely won't be there in another 15-20 years when she'd even be eligible to retire. 

I noticed the fact that every politician the segment showed speaking out against FMLA and the MN law happened to be a Republican; ironically, Democrats have run Illinois for decades, yet the above is the best plan they could come up with for their own employees.

By comparison... McDonalds gives employees 12 weeks of maternity leave with partial pay for hourly employees.  That's right... the young mother you see working her ass off at the drive through window for minimum wage (presumably so she can feed her kids something other than McDonalds food) has a BETTER MATERNITY BENEFIT THAN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS has for its employees.

And yet... state government here can't even pay its own bills.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
What state are you working in?

Wisconsin

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »

It's the offseason. If you don't like John Oliver posts, it's quite easy to not open them.

I thought this one was his funniest this season.

As for the politics ...

I'm surprised he didn't call out the "family values" people for refusing to value the families and the "life is precious" folks for being fine with new mothers almost immediately having to leave their babies. I know I would have!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
It's the offseason. If you don't like John Oliver posts, it's quite easy to not open them.

I thought this one was his funniest this season.

As for the politics ...

I'm surprised he didn't call out the "family values" people for refusing to value the families and the "life is precious" folks for being fine with new mothers almost immediately having to leave their babies. I know I would have!

A great man once said

But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
A great man once said

He also said:

"I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around – they say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain', but where's the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people into office who screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with.”
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
My wife is technically employed by the State of Illinois... and despite there being more than 50 employees on the State payroll, the State of Illinois is exempt from FMLA (presumably because, collectively, all Illinois state employees do less work than 50 private-sector employees).  Though they do give her disability pay which basically amounts to half-salary for four weeks, but only after she's already been out of work for four weeks.  But here's the kicker... the disability pay gets deducted from her pension benefit.  But give credit to Illinois, they are kind enough to allow her to use up all of her vacation and sick time during those first four weeks that are unpaid - if you even have anything left after your OB/Gyn appts. have swallowed it up over the past nine months - and, if you're not back to work the beginning of week 9, another four weeks unpaid.  In all... it's nominally better than FMLA since you're at least getting two weeks of pay from a pension that very likely won't be there in another 15-20 years when she'd even be eligible to retire. 

I noticed the fact that every politician the segment showed speaking out against FMLA and the MN law happened to be a Republican; ironically, Democrats have run Illinois for decades, yet the above is the best plan they could come up with for their own employees.

By comparison... McDonalds gives employees 12 weeks of maternity leave with partial pay for hourly employees.  That's right... the young mother you see working her ass off at the drive through window for minimum wage (presumably so she can feed her kids something other than McDonalds food) has a BETTER MATERNITY BENEFIT THAN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS has for its employees.

And yet... state government here can't even pay its own bills.

McDonald's actually has some insane benefits. There was a sign up in whitewater last week that labeled all the benefits they receive. They get medical, dental, paid time off, hell McDonald's even helps pay tuition. Now I dont know the full extant of all of this, but it kicks the ass out of ZERO benefits I've received in my work.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
The latest Atlantic had a interesting article on the new Starbucks tuition reimbursement program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 11:06:52 PM »
The latest Atlantic had a interesting article on the new Starbucks tuition reimbursement program.

My daughter works in Starbucks management and she has awesome benefits, from the stock options to health/dental/vision to bonuses to reimbursements to sick leave/vacation.

Her health benefits are considerably better and less expensive than my wife's -- and my wife is a pediatric nurse at one of the biggest hospital chains in the country.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson