Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Day at the BC  (Read 34428 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Game Day at the BC
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »
Totally agree. My group of friends were the same way and we were in school from 2006-2010. We would pregame, show up a few minutes before tip, march straight to the top row with beers, enjoy the game. and then hit the bars afterwards.

I was there to watch Marquette basketball and have a good time with my friends. Anyone who goes to the game for promotions and give aways is a tool.

That's nice.  But fans like you are not going to make up an entire student section. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
Totally agree. My group of friends were the same way and we were in school from 2006-2010. We would pregame, show up a few minutes before tip, march straight to the top row with beers, enjoy the game. and then hit the bars afterwards.

I was there to watch Marquette basketball and have a good time with my friends. Anyone who goes to the game for promotions and give aways is a tool.

So we're my friends in 1999-2003, but even then we were the exception not the rule.  Besides groups like that have already bought in, they're a captured market.  It's the fence sitters or the fans that are only interested in a winning team(your Miami Heat fan group let's say) that you need to engage in a better way with a value solution that can't get by staying at home.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
Depending on the layout, the new arena might let them put more students closer to the court behind the basket.  At least there might be a continuous section instead of the separate temporary stands inside the hockey boards and the gaping hole by the entrance, which would help.  But I can't imagine them ever displacing high-dollar donors along the sidelines.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »
Well Wojo cares, got an email saying that based on my attendance the past years I was invited to have dinner with Wojo in the AL to discuss MU basketball and the student section going forward. Pretty cool to get that email.
Betcha Big Daddy will be guest of honor at the Staff Table.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
The sweater vests aren't going anywhere. Sorry, but if you want their money, you must make sacrifices.

Since the MU band has always been a bit of a train wreck (do they still play Elvira?)...perhaps MU needs to embrace its NBA arena home and deliver more of an NBA game experience. An updated intro...more current music during timeouts...more of what happens during an NBA game. I guess they attempt to do that know, but it needs work. 

Yes, it would be nice to return to simpler times when it was just about the game, but those days are done. You see it across all sports...especially MLB. It's all about the total experience...and that genie ain't going back in the bottle. Just the way it is today. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
The sweater vests aren't going anywhere. Sorry, but if you want their money, you must make sacrifices.

Since the MU band has always been a bit of a train wreck (do they still play Elvira?)...perhaps MU needs to embrace its NBA arena home and deliver more of an NBA game experience. An updated intro...more current music during timeouts...more of what happens during an NBA game. I guess they attempt to do that know, but it needs work. 

Yes, it would be nice to return to simpler times when it was just about the game, but those days are done. You see it across all sports...especially MLB. It's all about the total experience...and that genie ain't going back in the bottle. Just the way it is today. 

I hope that you aren't suggesting they get rid of the Pep Band. It's an essential part of the college game experience.  That's equivalent to saying that a college football team should get rid of its marching band and go to more of a Superbowl-type halftime show.

If you want to argue that the pep band could stand to improve its repertoire, I am right there with you.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »

If you want to argue that the pep band could stand to improve its repertoire, I am right there with you.

Calling Carillon Bill Geishecker...

Death on call

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »
I hope that you aren't suggesting they get rid of the Pep Band. It's an essential part of the college game experience.  That's equivalent to saying that a college football team should get rid of its marching band and go to more of a Superbowl-type halftime show.

No, I guess I get the appeal of the band. But has that day passed? Do today's students appreciate that appeal? Is it time for MU to fully embrace its NBA home? Would that resonate more with students, players, and recruits? Just asking the question. Since MU doesn't offer a Music major, the band will always be a bit second-rate. I've seen big school bands (Ohio State, Cal, and yes, UW, etc.) and they're impressive, but MU doesn't have that. Don't mean to pick on them, I know they do the best they can. At the very least, perhaps it'd be great if they would expand their repertoire.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
Just wanted to let people know that Wojo sent a hand written letter with a picture to everyone in attendance at the meeting last week. Nice touch

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
Just wanted to let people know that Wojo sent a hand written letter with a picture to everyone in attendance at the meeting last week. Nice touch
That's great.

By the way, I believe instead of going away from the band, Marquette should look for some way to expand it and it's repertoire. A college game and a band go hand in hand.

ItsaBargen

• Walk-On
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
I know it's fun to rip on the band, and the repetoire thing is the common target. But the band has heard your complaints and actually has changed dramatically. I was in the band 2005-2008, and they probably only play 3-5 songs from when I was there. I agree that there was a lot of random 70s and 80s songs for too way long. Doc liked having songs that bridged back to Geischecker (sp).

Next year don't just rely on generalities about the band, which it earned. Instead actually listen for newer songs. You'll hear Foo Fighters, Green Day, "All I Do Is Win," Bruno Mars, and probably some others I can't remember. You can question how well they pull some of them off, but they have modernized.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »
Love the band.  About the only section having fun every game last year.  The rest of the game day experience has slipped considerably.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
Still love hearin' "The Horse," from back in my day, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »
Personally, I would love an update to the Marquette court.  I fully embrace the Golden Eagles image and style, but I would like more of a unique court for Marquette (MECCA style perhaps?).  Obviously, keep it Al's court, but create something that is unique to the school.

Xavier has the Cincinnati skyline on its court - which I think is pretty cool.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »

Really? I think it is a rather odd choice given that there is an actual University of Cincinnati.
Have some patience, FFS.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »
Personally, I would love an update to the Marquette court.  I fully embrace the Golden Eagles image and style, but I would like more of a unique court for Marquette (MECCA style perhaps?).  Obviously, keep it Al's court, but create something that is unique to the school.

Nah, those kinds of courts are ugly (including that Robert Indiana abomination at the Mecca).  Prefer BB courts to be "clean".

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »
Really? I think it is a rather odd choice given that there is an actual University of Cincinnati.

Because another University exists in the same city is an odd reason to find it odd that Xavier painted their own city's skyline on the court.

Xavier did it to brand themselves as the University in Cincinnati, regardless of UC's presence. Considering how often I'm asked whether I enjoyed my college years in Michigan perhaps it isn't so stupid for Marquette to find a way to tie in Milwaukee to its branding.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
FWIW I went through all the suggestions I found in here and rooster21's old Athletics Survey thread and sent a list to Mike Broeker. He said they are spending the summer looking at everything from start to finish. Hopefully new leadership and an administration that seems to be reaching out to the fans for ideas will result in some of these gameday experience issues we have being addressed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »

The problem is Milwaukee doesn't have a skyline...

Or, by Cincinnati Skyline, do they mean the chili there?

http://www.skylinechili.com/

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »

The band has improved pretty significantly from several years ago.

The "game experience" is the single worst part of going to an NBA game today.  The play is fine, the talent is awesome, but the nonstop electronic sounds are maddening.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
I recall several years ago after Wake Forest played here they thought the game day experience was so good they sent folks up here for pointers and copied a lot of it for their games at the Joel.

IOW, I think the game day experience is fine except those damn parachute drops of crappy shirts never fall near our seats.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
The problem is Milwaukee doesn't have a skyline...

http://www.skylinechili.com/

Actually if you take one of the boat cruises on a nice night the Milwaukee skyline is pretty cool. You get to see it from angles that you're not used to which makes it kind of impressive.

Man, those boat cruises are a blast.
Bring back FFP!!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

Court?

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »

Could someone answer this for me...."Was it a dream, or did not MU have a Duke-style artist rendering logo of Marquette Hall  somewhere on the Bradley Center floor??? My time frame guesses it was early-Crean era??? Given Wojo's pedigree and his cool Twitter pic affinity for Gothic steeples of assymetric length, couldn't he be convinced that MarquetteHall on the Court would be the perfect complement?!!

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2015, 10:59:31 PM »

That is pretty cool. I like that coach is making the effort to engage the fan base.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.