[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2015-16 Big East predictions  (Read 4282 times)

radome

• Team Captain
2015-16 Big East predictions
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25354005/-16-big-east-predictions-respect-to-villanova-which-is-elite-again

6. MARQUETTE GOLDEN EAGLES

Marquette is the last realistic candidate to expect to reach the NCAAs in the Big East this season, but I think NIT is much more likely. Name to know: Henry Ellenson who, I'm guessing, will be drafted into the NBA in 2017. (He could be one-and-done, but man it'd be really nice if he stayed for two.) Ellenson's a dynamic player with a beautiful blend of old- and new-school skills. Around him, Duane Wilson and Jajuan Johnson should have really solid years -- either player could wind up Big East Second Team come March. Luke Fischer is also a nice ingredient. Marquette's just not a program that stays down for long, and after a 13-19 season in Year No. 1 under Steve Wojciechowski, getting to/above .500 seems inevitable for 2015-16.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2015-16 Big East predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
The fact that they have Luke Fischer as a minor side note while thinking JJJ could be a feature player tells you everything you need to know about the quality of this article.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
Norlander is generally pretty knowledgeable, but that is weak.  Luke Fischer is going to an absolute force this season.  Him and Henry in the paint is going to be a joke, but one everybody has heard come December. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
I think that the best thing about Luke and Henry is that they're both great passers, so if on of them gets doubled, that can pass out of it relatively well.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
I don't think outsiders including me are buying Fischer. We only have last year to go on. Now you guys all claim his shoulder injury hampered him, but I and others are skeptical. Mainly because he was still able to block shots at a good rate. If his shoulder was the excuse for his poor rebounding numbers the fact that he was out blocking shots which would aggravate his shoulder more goes against that idea. He struggled going against people his own size in games I watched. I think he's pretty much what he is. He'll average like 13-6-2. He's still a good player and one of the better true centers in the BE, but I don't expect this huge leap in productivity that Marquette fans seem to be expecting. I mean he already averaged 11 and 5 last year. He doesn't have that much room to improve I can't see him being a 20 and 10 guy those don't really exist in the college game especially with so many other weapons for Marquette. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »
I don't think outsiders including me are buying Fischer. We only have last year to go on. Now you guys all claim his shoulder injury hampered him, but I and others are skeptical. Mainly because he was still able to block shots at a good rate. If his shoulder was the excuse for his poor rebounding numbers the fact that he was out blocking shots which would aggravate his shoulder more goes against that idea. He struggled going against people his own size in games I watched. I think he's pretty much what he is. He'll average like 13-6-2. He's still a good player and one of the better true centers in the BE, but I don't expect this huge leap in productivity that Marquette fans seem to be expecting. I mean he already averaged 11 and 5 last year. He doesn't have that much room to improve I can't see him being a 20 and 10 guy those don't really exist in the college game especially with so many other weapons for Marquette.

Very fair assessment...
But my ego and heart tell me to disregard what you say and go on living the next 16 days in an ignorant bliss...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »

I think everyone here is expecting about 13 6 2 from Luke. That's pretty dang good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
I think he's pretty much what he is. He'll average like 13-6-2. He's still a good player and one of the better true centers in the BE, but I don't expect this huge leap in productivity that Marquette fans seem to be expecting. I mean he already averaged 11 and 5 last year. He doesn't have that much room to improve I can't see him being a 20 and 10 guy those don't really exist in the college game especially with so many other weapons for Marquette.

13-6-2 is what most Marquette fans think as well. Many outsiders are thinking more like 10-4-1.5 tho. You can tell in the article above as they have JuJuan Johnson as a key player and Fischer just gets a passing mention. 13-6-2 is worth more than that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
13 6 and 2 is very, very good coming from your 3rd scoring option.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »
I'd be happy with a true center getting 13-6-2.  When's the last time we had a true center average that?  Go Luke!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
In Europe the way Fischer ran the floor is why I believe he will be MU's best player. Last year he was often the first MU player to score in the game. He seemed to disappear as the game went on. Maybe it was his shoulder, maybe MU stopped looking for him or something else. He definitely will benefit from a point guard that will be more effective at moving the ball. He definitely will benefit Ellenson drawing attention away from the post. I am sure that in the league there are centers that are stronger rebounders, better shot blockers, better defenders, etc, but there is no center who will be able to run the floor with him. He is a perfect fit with Ellenson and who you play with matters.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
In Europe the way Fischer ran the floor is why I believe he will be MU's best player. Last year he was often the first MU player to score in the game. He seemed to disappear as the game went on. Maybe it was his shoulder, maybe MU stopped looking for him or something else. He definitely will benefit from a point guard that will be more effective at moving the ball. He definitely will benefit Ellenson drawing attention away from the post. I am sure that in the league there are centers that are stronger rebounders, better shot blockers, better defenders, etc, but there is no center who will be able to run the floor with him. He is a perfect fit with Ellenson and who you play with matters.

I thought Luke's shoulder was good to go for the Italy trip.  I'd think that his disappearing as games went on had to do with other players getting involved once he had established himself and gotten the attention of the defense.  I'm fairly sure that getting Luke established on offense right at the start of games is something that Wojo emphasizes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »

That is a good point on Luke.  We have two 6-10 big men that can really run the floor.  If our points and other guards can push it in transition, and we improve our defensive rebounding so those guards do not have to completely crash the boards,  Fischer and Ellenson are going to get a lot of easy baskets.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
Can anyone explain the thought process on Johnson, though?  First there was that Draft Express article that had him as one of the 20 best NBA draft prospects in the Big East, now this.  What am I missing?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
Can anyone explain the thought process on Johnson, though?  First there was that Draft Express article that had him as one of the 20 best NBA draft prospects in the Big East, now this.  What am I missing?
I think what Johnson is missing and what many people here are I missing about him is that his personality and Wojo's personality are polar opposites. Johnson is easy going and for all I know a really nice guy. Wojo will put his fist through a wall and expects his players to be the same way. It is hard to change ones personality. Simply put JJJ, no matter how good he is, is not Wojo's type of player. Am I the only one that notice how JJJ walked out at MU madness. The other players out came out with energy and ran to their respective parts. JJJ slowly walked out like he was in no hurry to do anything. It just is not in JJJ's nature to run through walls like Wojo expects.