collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Road "Warriors"  (Read 11899 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Road "Warriors"
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
I was a total Marriott whore. I agree with those who like the SPG hotel, but my company was a little cheapish and I usually could get better deals with Marriott properties. And Marriotts and Renaissances almost always were nice enough for me. Every once in a while, if I could get a decent price, I'd treat myself to a JW Marriott.

I was Marriott Platinum for years but haven't done any business traveling since 2009 and haven't done all that much personal traveling since then, either. For whatever reason, Marriott made me Lifetime Platinum a couple years ago, and I still have 500K points. I guard them as if they are gold because I want to get max value from them now that I don't have them coming in very much any more.

I don't miss some of the crazy travel schedules I used to have, but I do miss the points!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
Side note: sitting on a plane when larger lady comes on swinging bags and elbows around to put them in the overhead... Nearly gave me a shiner. Sat down behind means now breaking out bags and bags of snacks. It's a 1:30 flight from D.C. to Chicago
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
Takes  a lot of calories to keep her full figure. Worst flight I had regarding food was when we took off and Orthodox Jewish family in row behind unwrapped their onion bagel sandwiches

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:45 PM »
Takes  a lot of calories to keep her full figure. Worst flight I had regarding food was when we took off and Orthodox Jewish family in row behind unwrapped their onion bagel sandwiches

Oy gevalt!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

I bought a large bag of dried salted squid to enjoy on a transpac flight from Asia back to the States. As soon as the flight attendant brought me an ice cold Kirin I tucked into my seafood snack with great relish. I was watching a movie with headphones so I was oblivious to the white people complaining about the aroma of dried squid. All I knew was my wife grabbed the offending bag suddenly on her way forward to the galley where she threw it away. When she came back to the seat she said, "What the hell's wrong with you? That stuff really stinks."   

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
I bought a large bag of dried salted squid to enjoy on a transpac flight from Asia back to the States. As soon as the flight attendant brought me an ice cold Kirin I tucked into my seafood snack with great relish. I was watching a movie with headphones so I was oblivious to the white people complaining about the aroma of dried squid. All I knew was my wife grabbed the offending bag suddenly on her way forward to the galley where she threw it away. When she came back to the seat she said, "What the hell's wrong with you? That stuff really stinks."   

I am reliving the scene where a Hawaiian friend gave me a bag of that "stuff" I almost gagged when I opened it and it was all I could do to chew  a few. When I am there we always go to some place with exotic and have local fare that I have never tried. The Dried shrimp and cuttlefish bested me.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
   I am reliving the scene where a Hawaiian friend gave me a bag of that "stuff" I almost gagged when I opened it and it was all I could do to chew  a few. When I am there we always go to some place with exotic and have local fare that I have never tried. The Dried shrimp and cuttlefish bested me.

When you drink in a traditional Japanese bar they put a bowl with dried squid, wasabi peas, and osenbe in front of you as you take your seat. It is the Japanese equivalent of salted peanuts or popcorn.

Personally, I like dried squid and i put dried shrimp on steamed rice and in other dishes (dried shrimp tends to be more common in Chinese cuisines.) But dried seafood does carry with it a pronounced odor which, for Caucasians, can be off-putting.

I cook with balachan, nam pla, nuoc mam, and other dried seafood flavorings that, are pungent as stand alone items but are essential ingredients in compelling Asian fare.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
Camel balls in the desert, blowfish and the ovum of a Tokyo river fish. Wash it down with what you have, especially if ther are tentacles involved. 

Monkey brains are another story.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 05:10:29 AM »
I stopped flying Korean Airlines a few years back because they used to run into things a bit too frequently for my liking... but they actually served Kimchi on the plane. Couldn't handle it.  Had to sit in the loo until the dinner service was finished.  It smelled better in there!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »

I STILL have an unopened bag of octopus jerky I got when I was in Japan for the 1998 Olympics. I like to gross out people (especially kids) by showing it to them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
I stopped flying Korean Airlines a few years back because they used to run into things a bit too frequently for my liking... but they actually served Kimchi on the plane. Couldn't handle it.  Had to sit in the loo until the dinner service was finished.  It smelled better in there!

Too bad....their current commercials look amazing...
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:07 AM »

I spent most of my life living in Asia and I loved every weird place in Wuhan, Petaling Jaya, and Mindanao. But Korea was always a place I dreaded. In both my USAF and corporate lives I would look at trips to Korea as comparable to a proctologist visit.

The climate is harsh, the people can be harsher, and the food is garlic with a little meat or veg thrown in for seasoning. I have flown KAL a very few times and would not even recommend it to a Taliban chieftain. Asia has so many superb flag carriers: SQ, CX, JAL, ANA, Thai are stellar. KAL and China Air are on most expats Do Not Fly lists.

Death on call

feedback