[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU purchases building  (Read 10665 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
MU purchases building
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/300655421.html

between 6th and 7th on Clybourn in the parking lot of the Ramada.  Not on the footprint of the proposed research facility.  No formal announcement made or any public statement.  Seems like an odd purchase.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
Re: MU purchases building
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »
It's no secret that Marquette's intent is to buy any property adjacent to campus if/when it becomes available.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Herzing moved their staff out a couple of weeks ago. MU is trying to get the Ramada as well, but that's been a tougher sale.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Herzing moved their staff out a couple of weeks ago. MU is trying to get the Ramada as well, but that's been a tougher sale.

Yep, it'll be University Housing within 5 years. MU has a huge new footprint east of 43.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:51:11 PM by LEETM »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »
Let's expand to the lake!  #manifestdestiny

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

I didn't realize they were going after the Ramada also.  Hopefully they get it.  That building/property is an eyesore.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »

I would think, without ever having stepped foot in the Ramada, that having another hotel within walking distance of the campus would be a mutually beneficial for MU and the hotel (parents visits, etc.) particularly for those visitors who don't want to spend too much.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
I would think, without ever having stepped foot in the Ramada, that having another hotel within walking distance of the campus would be a mutually beneficial for MU and the hotel (parents visits, etc.) particularly for those visitors who don't want to spend too much.

That Ramada was actually more expensive than the Hilton.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
It is a thoroughly adequate hotel. Nothing special. Nothing terrible. From the outside it suffers from having been built during an era of remarkably uninspired architecture. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "eyesore," but I'd say it brings no positive value to the area visually.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
Ramada is a dump.

I've stayed there. Its terrible. It should be burned down.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramada-milwaukee-downtown-milwaukee

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
That Ramada was actually more expensive than the Hilton.

That's never been my experience, and I have stayed in the Hilton many times for basketball game weekends.

I usually try to stay in the Hilton or Intercontinental when in Milwaukee.

There are actually plenty of budget options close to MU...Ambassador, Double Tree next to the Hilton, the new Hampton Inn on Wisconsin Ave., Best Western on 3rd St.

There is no need for Ramada. MU should buy it and ceremoniously burn it down.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:22:31 PM by Bleuteaux »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »

If Marquette gets it (and I hadn't heard about today's acquisition or the targeting of Ramada beforehand), I'm confident in saying that it won't stay a hotel.  There's definitely a push east.  What I'd say is that the administration may have extended the perimeter of the 'outbid anyone' policy.  I'm confident everyone here understands that initiative has been in place for many years in what was considered the core campus area.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
If Marquette gets it (and I hadn't heard about today's acquisition or the targeting of Ramada beforehand), I'm confident in saying that it won't stay a hotel.  There's definitely a push east.  What I'd say is that the administration may have extended the perimeter of the 'outbid anyone' policy.  I'm confident everyone here understands that initiative has been in place for many years in what was considered the core campus area.

I do wish MU would expand west. If only to create more of a buffer for students who live around 20th street.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:25 PM »
That's never been my experience, and I have stayed in the Hilton many times for basketball game weekends.

I usually try to stay in the Hilton or Intercontinental when in Milwaukee.

There are actually plenty of budget options close to MU...Ambassador, Double Tree next to the Hilton, the new Hampton Inn on Wisconsin Ave., Best Western on 3rd St.

There is no need for Ramada. MU should buy it and ceremoniously burn it down.

I agree, but I can always get the Hilton for $50.

Intercontinental needs some work too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

Agreed... MU isn't in the hotel business.  Not unless they want to give Cornell's program a run for its money, this building is on the block for either conversion to student housing or

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
I do wish MU would expand west. If only to create more of a buffer for students who live around 20th street.

1) East involves larger commercial parcels.  One must strike when the iron is hot but before prices get too inflated.

2) Let's see where the Avenues West redevelopment initiative takes us over the next couple years.  That boundary is I-43 on the east. So what's being done or contemplated today is outside that group effort area.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
I agree, but I can always get the Hilton for $50.

Intercontinental needs some work too.

Do you work for Hilton? How in the world do you get that rate? I usually get it at about $100 a night which I consider a good value for the quality of hotel.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Do you work for Hilton? How in the world do you get that rate? I usually get it at about $100 a night which I consider a good value for the quality of hotel.

It's on Hotwire all the time.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
It's on Hotwire all the time.

Ah, then I don't get my HHonors Points  :'(

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
I made a thing. Blue for what Marquette owns (I know that the map is cropped too small, sue me). Red is what we're trying to buy from Ramada.

edit: this was all wrong so I took it off the internet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:16:52 PM by Skatastrophy »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
I don't think MU owns, or is going after the Assurant Health building.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
I don't think MU owns, or is going after the Assurant Health building.

You were right, my bad. I don't have time to fix it now so I just removed the picture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
Ramada is a dump.

I've stayed there. Its terrible. It should be burned down.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramada-milwaukee-downtown-milwaukee

I know some guys.    ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
Used stay a lot at  the Days Inn on 6th,  still a solid choice?  Free shuttle,  free parking.  $75 rooms...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Let's expand to the lake!  #manifestdestiny

Then you're going the wrong way!
SS Marquette

feedback