Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Awards Banquet  (Read 27500 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Awards Banquet
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
It was very nice last night, but way too long. Left before it was over and was still there for almost 4 hours.

Bat, did you have a chance to get in the locker room?  Chick and I didn't arrive until 6:45 because of traffic getting out of Chicago and barely had time for a beer before we were ushered to our seats.

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
I know this makes me sound like a jerk, but the addition of the awards for the spirit squad and band members did not add to the program IMO.  Let them have their own dinner.

While I agree that the banquet was very long, I think these two parts together took no more than five minutes.  They were not the reason for how long it took.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
No Olouma Nnamaka Consistency Award?

That's scrubbing The Mike Deane and Tom Crean Eras off the face of this earth!

No Where do you live Award?

Have we lost all connections to the Buzz Williams Era?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
I enjoyed the banquet. Got a chance to talk with Brian Brunkhorst and his wife Steff for the first time in ages. They both look great - his recovery has been remarkable. He introduced us to his nephew, Matt Carlino - really a nice young man who thoroughly enjoyed his Marquette experience. He, Derrick and Juan will be good ambassadors for the program going forward. I have no facts, but a couple of players I talked to thought we have a better shot with Shon Miller than with Lee. To me, Wojo comes across as all in - he's not a great speaker (robotic and repetitive) but his sincerity and competitiveness shine through. I think he'll be around for a long while.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »
It was great that the band and spirit squad seniors were there, but do we need all these long speeches by everyone. Lovell and Bill Scholl speech was killing me. A four hour event is way too long.

I thought they both had interesting things to say, but they should have given them a shorter time limit.  Fr. Kelly's retirement speech and the Marc Marotta tribute also added additional time (not that I am complaining about either of those).  Marc's family (not sure which members, but definitely Kim) was there.  I am not sure I could have held myself together to do do this a week after my husband's sudden and untimely death, so I admire her for that.

Another thing that made the evening longer is that the seniors gave the speeches last night that they usually do on the basketball floor on Senior Day.  IIRC, they didn't do that at the banquet last year.  However, I enjoyed what they had to say.

The people who left early are wusses. jsglow and I stayed until the very end and drove the 100 miles home afterwards.  And got up for work at 5:30.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
To me, Wojo comes across as all in - he's not a great speaker (robotic and repetitive) but his sincerity and competitiveness shine through.

I totally agree. I don't think Steve is a very entertaining interview, but he's very low on the "schtick-meter".

He's a straight-up hyper-competitive basketball junkie. End.

I don't know if he's fun to hang out with, but he might turn out to be an excellent college coach.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »
.To me, Wojo comes across as all in - he's not a great speaker (robotic and repetitive) but his sincerity and competitiveness shine through. I think he'll be around for a long while.

You can certainly tell he is much better one-on-one.  At one point he looked over at Juan and did a 2-second impersonation of him that cracked the team up.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
I thought they both had interesting things to say, but they should have given them a shorter time limit.  Fr. Kelly's retirement speech and the Marc Marotta tribute also added additional time (not that I am complaining about either of those).  Marc's family (not sure which members, but definitely Kim) was there.  I am not sure I could have held myself together to do do this a week after my husband's sudden and untimely death, so I admire her for that.

Another thing that made the evening longer is that the seniors gave the speeches last night that they usually do on the basketball floor on Senior Day.  IIRC, they didn't do that at the banquet last year.  However, I enjoyed what they had to say.

The people who left early are wusses. jsglow and I stayed until the very end and drove the 100 miles home afterwards.  And got up for work at 5:30.

Big whoop. Doesn't count if you didn't stop at Real Chili.  ;)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
I will ad that it was a very nice tribute to Fr. Kelly.  He's being 'reassigned' by the Jesuits.  I read that as retiring.  It was clear that the players and coaches love him.

That's a bummer. Hasn't Fr. Kelly been on the bench since the Hank Raymonds era? Was cool to have that continuity.

Let's hope there's enough Jesuits left at Marquette for someone to replace him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
I enjoyed the banquet. Got a chance to talk with Brian Brunkhorst and his wife Steff for the first time in ages. They both look great - his recovery has been remarkable. He introduced us to his nephew, Matt Carlino - really a nice young man who thoroughly enjoyed his Marquette experience. He, Derrick and Juan will be good ambassadors for the program going forward. I have no facts, but a couple of players I talked to thought we have a better shot with Shon Miller than with Lee. To me, Wojo comes across as all in - he's not a great speaker (robotic and repetitive) but his sincerity and competitiveness shine through. I think he'll be around for a long while.

Yep.  That's my take too.  I think he believes that he has a forum in Milwaukee to build greatness over the long haul.  My favorite comments consistently revolve around his 'privilege to wear the uniform' theme.  I think he genuinely believes that it's a privilege to coach Marquette.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
That's a bummer. Hasn't Fr. Kelly been on the bench since the Hank Raymonds era? Was cool to have that continuity.

Let's hope there's enough Jesuits left at Marquette for someone to replace him.

Hoping they ask Fr. Fred Zagone.  Awesome guy.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
Okay, if you follow @MarquetteMBB on Twitter, you already know all the winners, but I promised, so:

Hank Raymonds Sportsmanship Award:  Luke
Father Kelly Team Morale Award: Sandy and Jajuan
Dwayne Wade Legacy of Leadership Award:  Derrick, Juan, and Matt
Top Scholar-Athlete Award:  Derrick
Coaches Award: Luke
Iron Eagle Award: Derrick
True Blue Award: Derrick
Best Field Goal Percentage: Luke
Best Free Throw Percentage: Matt
Best Rebound Average: Juan
Most Assists: Derrick
Most Improved Player:  Duane
Best Defensive Player: Derrick
Most Valuable Player:  Matt

Other notes:

-It appears that STJ is a non-person as far as MUBB is concerned.  He did not show up for the banquet, his name was not printed in the program with the other players, and he was noticeably absent from all the highlight footage.  I didn't even notice him in the background of any clips.
-The floor of the BC was a great place to have the banquet.  And yes, the food was good, I had a great seat (center, one table behind Wojo), and the sound system was excellent.
-They lowered all of the banners to stage level, and I loved that Wojo mentioned several times that he was going to make sure that there will be many more.
-The assistant coaches gave out some of the awards.  Chris Carrawell is a great speaker, and I was amused to learn that even though he has spent a decade in other parts of the country and world, Travis Diener's Fond du Lac accent has not faded one bit.

Thank you. Great report!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
So, it sounds like any hope that Taylor comes back next year is off the table.  Hopefully he is at least attending classes and getting his credits so that he gets a degree from somewhere next year.

I assume that the "Top Scholar-Athlete Award" will be the Marc Marotta award next year.  I hope so, given his academic, athletic, and post college accomplishments.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
So, it sounds like any hope that Taylor comes back next year is off the table.  Hopefully he is at least attending classes and getting his credits so that he gets a degree from somewhere next year.

I assume that the "Top Scholar-Athlete Award" will be the Marc Marotta award next year.  I hope so, given his academic, athletic, and post college accomplishments.

That's an excellent idea.  You should send it to Bill Scholl.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
A four hour event is way too long.

Well, appropriate for the season we just endured...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »

You slept? What about a post event drinking session followed by a stop at Real Chili then straight to work for a Combat Shower in the office latrine with Wet Ones??

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
Bat, did you have a chance to get in the locker room? 
I did the locker room. I've done it before when Milwaukee has had the Doors Open Milwaukee Event.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Thank you for the report.

I had heard a few weeks ago that Fr. Kelly was gently asked to retire and move into San Camillo with the other residents of the retired Jesuit community that live there.  He wasn't too happy about it, as he wanted to move into the new JesRes.

91 years old and he still stands as straight as a Marine.  He's been chaplain since 1984, which is after my time, but it certainly seems like he's been on the bench forever.  I've also heard that his replacement will be the chaplain for all sports, not just the mens bb team, if that is the only chaplaining Fr. Kelly did (I honestly don't know if the other teams have a chaplain).    
Ludum habemus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
Thank you for the report.

I had heard a few weeks ago that Fr. Kelly was gently asked to retire and move into San Camillo with the other residents of the retired Jesuit community that live there.  He wasn't too happy about it, as he wanted to move into the new JesRes.

91 years old and he still stands as straight as a Marine.  He's been chaplain since 1984, which is after my time, but it certainly seems like he's been on the bench forever.  I've also heard that his replacement will be the chaplain for all sports, not just the mens bb team, if that is the only chaplaining Fr. Kelly did (I honestly don't know if the other teams have a chaplain).    

I don't think the other teams had a chaplain. Its probably only fair to have a chaplain for all sports, but I do hope that whoever it is, chooses to be on the bench for every men's basketball game, and can attend the other events when there isn't a conflict.

I also think there will be a sacrifice in the depth of the role in order to cover the wider responsibilities of covering all sports. The cool thing about the team chaplain is that the players actually have a relationship with them and get to know a Jesuit quite well. If the chaplain can't attend practices, isn't hanging around the locker room, etc., and is only there for games, that relationship won't really be the same anymore.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:22:41 AM by Bleuteaux »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
I also found it interesting to note who was at Wojo's table.  I'm not going to share that information as some of those folks might like to fly a bit below the radar.  For the record, chick and I were not.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
I also found it interesting to note who was at Wojo's table.  I'm not going to share that information as some of those folks might like to fly a bit below the radar.  For the record, chick and I were not.

As in basketball people or boosters?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

Coach K?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
C'mon Glow.  You can't lay a tidbit like that out there and tease.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
Boosters.  LOL. No Coach K!

No recruits present to the best of my knowledge.  And Wojo never once mentioned the recruiting class.  It was all about the existing guys.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »
Ummmm.  I wonder who is bank rolling the program now. 

I also wonder who is going to be the big donor/donors on the new athletic center development. 

feedback