'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them  (Read 121556 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
Louisville paper perspective on the Lee recruiting battle.

U of L transfer target Lee thorough in search
Jeff Greer
6:01 p.m. EDT April 15, 2015

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/04/15/louisville-basketball-transfer-target-damion-lee-thorough-research/25841223/

Once Damion Lee knew he would be transferring from Drexel University, he sat down with his mother and conducted what he calls a "thorough investigation" of the college basketball landscape and his potential landing spots.

Turns out the 6-foot-6 wing, who was fourth in the nation in scoring last season, averaging 21.4 points a game, had quite a few options.

In the two weeks since news broke that the Baltimore native would graduate and transfer for his final year of eligibility, Lee has heard from scores of coaches. It took some time to work through all the messages he received, but Lee trimmed his list to five schools on Sunday, and the University of Louisville is one of them.

The Cardinals have made Lee a top priority as they seek ways to replace departing guard Terry Rozier and graduating wing Wayne Blackshear.

"It's been crazy," Lee said. "Just these last couple weeks, with all the schools calling, trying to see what I wanted to narrow my list down to -- and not even just coaches, but media outlets, friends, family. Everyone's just trying to get the scoop."

The process that led Lee to cut his transfer options down to Arizona, Gonzaga, Marquette, Maryland and U of L has been meticulous, and as much as everyone around him wants to know what he's thinking, Lee is in no rush to make a decision. He hopes to choose a school in early May.

First, Lee charted out everything. He studied this past season and how players who played his position fared at the schools he is considering. He looked at how players have done once they left the program. He considered which players are returning or leaving, and which newcomers are arriving.

To inform his research even more, Lee used Synergy Sports, an advanced scouting site, to map out each team's playing style, from offensive and defensive schemes to what kind of shots they took.

"I'm just trying to handle everything in a professional manner," Lee said. "I was doing my thorough investigation of every school and program."

Lee visits Arizona first, from Friday to Sunday, then Louisville from Sunday to Tuesday. Gonzaga's coaches will fly to Baltimore to visit Lee next Wednesday. He is familiar with Maryland, which is a short drive from home, and may still set up a visit with Marquette, though his trips have to align with his mom's work schedule.

"When I go on these visits, I want to do everything I've been doing -- just going in there, making sure that I feel comfortable and that everything that is said over the phone is shown in person, that it's not smoke and mirrors," Lee said.

"I'm going into this weekend, both of these vists, with an open mind, not thinking anything negative or positive."

His trip to Louisville is critical for the Cards. U of L coach Rick Pitino said several times since the conclusion of the 2014-15 season that he would like to add multiple graduate transfers to his roster for the next campaign, and Louisville already nabbed Cleveland State transfer Trey Lewis.

Pitino also wants players who can shoot.

"From this point on, for as long as I live, if someone cannot shoot the basketball, I'm taking them off any letter-writing list," Pitino joked at the Final Four in Indianapolis.

Lee, who has known assistant coach Kenny Johnson since his days on the AAU circuit in the Washington, D.C., area, shot 43.8 percent last season as a high-volume shooter who attempted 14.4 shots a game. He made 38.5 percent of his 3-pointers, and converted 88.7 percent of his free throws.

"I feel that I'd be able to come in and contribute," Lee said. "Just come in and be a leader and just showcase my talents and my abilities."

Also visiting: Coppin State graduate transfer Sterling Smith plans to visit U of L next Wednesday, according to multiple reports ... 2016 guard Derryck Thornton, who is considering reclassifying to 2015 and enrolling in school this year, plans to visit U of L in early May, according to 247Sports.com.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:10:35 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »
From the story above ...

Lee visits Arizona first, from Friday to Sunday, then Louisville from Sunday to Tuesday. Gonzaga's coaches will fly to Baltimore to visit Lee next Wednesday. He is familiar with Maryland, which is a short drive from home, and may still set up a visit with Marquette, though his trips have to align with his mom's work schedule.

It sounds like if he has not committed by one week from today, our chances go up big time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
From the story above ...

It sounds like if he has not committed by one week from today, our chances go up big time.

Yup. I like that he is literally going back to back to visits to Louisville and Arizona and then has Gonzaga coming in to visit him 1 with only 1 day between him getting home from those visits. That's a good schedule from Marquette's perspective. He also already knows the Maryland area so there will be nothing to surprise him there. Let's hope we get a campus visit, but I would be shocked if we don't at least get an in home visit and if we get that Wojo can work some magic.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »
Yup. I like that he is literally going back to back to visits to Louisville and Arizona and then has Gonzaga coming in to visit him 1 with only 1 day between him getting home from those visits. That's a good schedule from Marquette's perspective. He also already knows the Maryland area so there will be nothing to surprise him there. Let's hope we get a campus visit, but I would be shocked if we don't at least get an in home visit and if we get that Wojo can work some magic.

Eh ... I wish Wojo The Closer had gotten Lee on our campus first. Lee woulda canceled the rest of his visits!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2015, 06:39:16 AM »
Eh ... I wish Wojo The Closer had gotten Lee on our campus first. Lee woulda canceled the rest of his visits!

Excuse me, are you talking about Marquette's campus? About Mid-Town Milwaukee? About the area between the freeways, Wells Street and 18th Street?

Coach Wojo I understand but when did Milwaukee's Inner City become the new land of Milk and Honey? OK, milk I might understand -- it is in Wisconsin. But our campus is not a closer place, especially compared to Arizona!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
From the story above ...

The bolded part is what stood out to me. Momma ain't got no time for MU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2015, 07:15:13 AM »
The bolded part is what stood out to me. Momma ain't got no time for MU

Yeah, this week.  Next week is a whole new ball game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2015, 07:34:08 AM »
Excuse me, are you talking about Marquette's campus? About Mid-Town Milwaukee? About the area between the freeways, Wells Street and 18th Street?

Coach Wojo I understand but when did Milwaukee's Inner City become the new land of Milk and Honey? OK, milk I might understand -- it is in Wisconsin. But our campus is not a closer place, especially compared to Arizona!

OK, whatever you say. Wojo seemed to do close the deals OK for Henry, Haanif, Traci and Sacar right after they visited our pathetic little campus. Henry and Traci immediately cancelled other visits they had scheduled, including to Lexington for Henry.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »
Yeah, this week.  Next week is a whole new ball game.

He will be in Louisville from Sunday to Tuesday (of next week).

Then Gonzaga coaches are coming to visit him that Wednesday (of next week).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »

For many recruits, Marquette's downtown urban campus feels a lot more like home than any college town or small town could ever be. There have been many cases when our geography has been an advantage.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
So how about that Damion Lee???  Hoya?  Wades?  TAMU?  Any news on that front?

Same boat as Wades. Keep hearing that we have a great shot but these things take time
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
Also visiting: Coppin State graduate transfer Sterling Smith plans to visit U of L next Wednesday, according to multiple reports ...

Smith is another player I've been watching. Top scorer from Coppin State and an elite sniper. Hit about a dozen more threes than Carlino with a higher 3P% last season. I wasn't sure how his game would translate to high majors, but hearing that Pitino wants him makes me want him more.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:45 AM »

You do realize that a lot of people actually like the northern, urban campus right?  I have been to the University of Arizona's campus, and at no point did I say "Man, I wish I would have come here instead of Marquette."

GOO

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »

You do realize that a lot of people actually like the northern, urban campus right?  I have been to the University of Arizona's campus, and at no point did I say "Man, I wish I would have come here instead of Marquette."
Indeed.  A UW friend of mine had heard about the urban MU campus, etc.  When he actually was in Milwaukee and drove around the area he was amazed at how nice it was, and how close to downtown and Water Street, etc it was.  Actually seeing the area completely changed his mind about the location of MU versus what he had been reading on badger boards and from badger friends. 

Milwaukee has changed a lot and being urban and downtown is an advantage now, not a negative.  Look at the population of seniors and younger people.  Where do they move to... urban areas, cities.  More to do, more fun people, great restaurants, festivals, people, etc. 

MU's location is an advantage. Yes, bad weather in the winter, but superior weather in the spring, summer and fall.   If you play basketball and your going to be inside in the winter anyway and want to focus, kind of a nice combination.  I don't like Milwaukee winters, but I dislike AZ summers more.  If your a basketball player, take a cold winter.  Plus, if you think you maybe playing professionally, you better like winter, weather it is in the NBA or Europe. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Indeed.  A UW friend of mine had heard about the urban MU campus, etc.  When he actually was in Milwaukee and drove around the area he was amazed at how nice it was, and how close to downtown and Water Street, etc it was.  Actually seeing the area completely changed his mind about the location of MU versus what he had been reading on badger boards and from badger friends. 

Milwaukee has changed a lot and being urban and downtown is an advantage now, not a negative.  Look at the population of seniors and younger people.  Where do they move to... urban areas, cities.  More to do, more fun people, great restaurants, festivals, people, etc. 

MU's location is an advantage. Yes, bad weather in the winter, but superior weather in the spring, summer and fall.   If you play basketball and your going to be inside in the winter anyway and want to focus, kind of a nice combination.  I don't like Milwaukee winters, but I dislike AZ summers more.  If your a basketball player, take a cold winter.  Plus, if you think you maybe playing professionally, you better like winter, weather it is in the NBA or Europe. 

Goo, I was being a little silly. I went to Marquette largely because I was a legacy and I wanted, very much, the urban environment Marquette offered. I really did.

I know the campus has improved dramatically since 1978. People choose colleges for different reasons and I suspect Mr. Lee is carefully considering those factors that are important to him. With all due respect, given that his options at MU, Arizona, Louisville and Maryland, I suspect he is less focused on physical beauty and more focused on a program that will get him to the Association.

Don't ya think?

By the way, does anyone know what his graduate field study might be?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
Goo, I was being a little silly. I went to Marquette largely because I was a legacy and I wanted, very much, the urban environment Marquette offered. I really did.

I know the campus has improved dramatically since 1978. People choose colleges for different reasons and I suspect Mr. Lee is carefully considering those factors that are important to him. With all due respect, given that his options at MU, Arizona, Louisville and Maryland, I suspect he is less focused on physical beauty and more focused on a program that will get him to the Association.

Don't ya think?

By the way, does anyone know what his graduate field study might be?

Basketball.

And anything that Drexel does not offer.  So depending on which school he ultimately chooses, it could be anything from a theological study to a sports management program or really anything.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
I went to Marquette largely because I was a legacy and I wanted, very much, the urban environment Marquette offered. I really did...People choose colleges for different reasons...

You're absolutely right.

I grew up in a pretty small town in Colorado.  I knew that I wanted to be somewhere where I could watch professional sports and there would be concerts -- two things not available where I grew up.  It wasn't so much the "urban" part, but what I was looking for was obviously probably going to take me to a large city.  I suppose suburban would have been fine.

My son is a HS senior.  He has no interest whatsoever in urban.  At most, he's looking for suburban, but he also likes college towns in the middle of nowhere.  My oldest daughter is a HS sophomore who is beginning to look at colleges.  She loves urban campuses and being in cities.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »

Could not disagree more. While the surrounding area is not that nice, nor is Marquette's. UA is hands down a much nicer environment. On campus arena and football stadium, fantastic student rec center that is city blocks long. University Ave is fun. No comparision to MU.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
I am impressed with all the work he is doing on team styles and his position. I doubt seriously where the school is located is even going to play into his decision. He is looking at how he will be used and how it helps get to the next level. What hurts MU is the fact they have not been in the NCAA tournament for two years. MU chances would be much greater if this was two years ago, when we were coming off a Big East championship and an Elite 8 run. MU can point to Wade, Crowder, Butler and Matthews as similar size players that have gone on to have pro careers. The problem is that none of these are Wojo's players. Assuming he visits MU it really will come down to how he fits in with the players on the team and how he fits in with the coaches. The city or campus will not matter, since he is clearly focus on how he will be used, how good the team will be and how it will improve his chances.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »
Could not disagree more.

So, you're  saying he did say, "Man, I wish I would have come here instead of Marquette." I think he would know.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
I agree with the above posts and previously mentioned that Lee's choice will be all about who will allow him to showcase and continue to develop for the NBA. The campus, weather, etc, will be unimportant to a 5th year guy looking to get to the NBA.

My urban campus comments were less about what Lee wanted and just a general response to the advantage of MU being an urban campus with winter for basketball players. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
I am impressed with all the work he is doing on team styles and his position. I doubt seriously where the school is located is even going to play into his decision. He is looking at how he will be used and how it helps get to the next level. What hurts MU is the fact they have not been in the NCAA tournament for two years. MU chances would be much greater if this was two years ago, when we were coming off a Big East championship and an Elite 8 run. MU can point to Wade, Crowder, Butler and Matthews as similar size players that have gone on to have pro careers. The problem is that none of these are Wojo's players. Assuming he visits MU it really will come down to how he fits in with the players on the team and how he fits in with the coaches. The city or campus will not matter, since he is clearly focus on how he will be used, how good the team will be and how it will improve his chances.

Spot on.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
Spot on.

+1

It's hard to do research and fact-checking against the potential for an overhauled team with a new coach.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
You're absolutely right.

I grew up in a pretty small town in Colorado.  I knew that I wanted to be somewhere where I could watch professional sports and there would be concerts -- two things not available where I grew up.  It wasn't so much the "urban" part, but what I was looking for was obviously probably going to take me to a large city.  I suppose suburban would have been fine.

My son is a HS senior.  He has no interest whatsoever in urban.  At most, he's looking for suburban, but he also likes college towns in the middle of nowhere.  My oldest daughter is a HS sophomore who is beginning to look at colleges.  She loves urban campuses and being in cities.

This reminds me of New York University (NYU) in Greenwich Village.  The saying is kids that first go to the campus within 5 minutes think it is the greatest place in the world or the worst place in the world and nothing in-between.

Whatever floats your boat. 

So is MU better than Arizona?  Depends on what is important to you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
Could not disagree more. While the surrounding area is not that nice, nor is Marquette's. UA is hands down a much nicer environment. On campus arena and football stadium, fantastic student rec center that is city blocks long. University Ave is fun. No comparision to MU.

Fine.  To each his own.  Which was my point to begin with.