[June 14, 2024, 10:48:52 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by MarquetteMike1977
[June 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by tower912
[June 14, 2024, 07:44:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Anyone Feel a Little Dirty This Morning?  (Read 15979 times)

Benny B

• All American
Does Anyone Feel a Little Dirty This Morning?
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »
Because I sure do.  I was a de facto fan of the Blue Devils last night, not because I'm finding it more difficult to dislike Duke every day, because I nearly contemplating pulled a favor from the Lord herself to not let Bucky get a W last night (good think I didn't waste that one... God doesn't give you many favors, especially in sports).  And I took joy watching Tyus drain a clutch Carlino-esque 3 to all but seal the deal.  And then I smiled with pleasure as the camera panned over to Sad Wisconsin Teletubby.  But it's not that I was pulling for Duke that makes me feel dirty.*

Let's admit it here - once and only once - that in real life, most of us are not the @ssholes we make ourselves out to be behind the Scoop keyboard.  Nobody says we have to like Notre Dame, or UW, or Louisville or whoever, and sure, on the surface, showing enmity on the surface for these guys demonstrates pride in being a Warrior (albeit unnecessarily at times).

But deep down, does anyone really harbor feelings of spite and hatred for UW?  Sure, we poke fun at their self-proclaimed moniker "The Harvard of the Midwest," but should we?  When you see an athlete at the Special Olympics who dreams of being a professional athlete, you don't make fun of them... you encourage them, offer them support, give them a high-five, and show a little empathy.

"But Benny, I don't hate UW... I hate their fans."  

Yes, Timmy, I will concede that's an excellent point.  After all, it's clear that their fan base is generally composed mostly of annoying little sock monkeys who barely made it through their second year at UW-Oshkosh... an otherwise compassionate person would also feel sorry for these folks, not be offended by their overall lack of English language skills and oft-malodorous presence.

So here I sit, feeling the angst and conflict of not only knowing that I need another shower, but knowing that even if I thoroughly cleansed myself, I won't last 30 seconds before I dive right back into the mud pit of seemingly-endless recaps, perspectives, opinions and reflections of last night's UW fail.

*Added for clarification.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:00:14 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
Re: Does Anyone Feel a Little Dirty This Morning?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:51:13 AM »
I feel like a million bucks today. Slept like a baby after sipping champagne toasting the champs!!!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
No. Hate the school...hate the teams...especially hate the fans. And lately, I haven't been a big fan of the state either.

I'm glad it wasn't just a loss...it was a heartbreaking loss. Even better. Now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy their endless whining and crying.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
I feel like a million bucks today. Slept like a baby after sipping champagne toasting the champs!!!

Me too! (except the champagne part)  Watched an episode of Seinfeld to unwind and fell asleep with a smile on my face and joy in my heart, and woke up with the same.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:55:46 AM »
I'm not a Duke hater.   I've admired their program for the last 30 years.   I had to explain to several people, including my wife, that despite (actually, BECAUSE of) going to college in Wisconsin, that I was rooting for Duke, just as I was rooting for Kentucky to on Saturday.   So, not dirty.   Immensely relieved, like when the villain/monster/demon is finally killed off in spectacular fashion at the end of a movie.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
Looking at that picture... it sure was nice that Brian Butch was there supporting his alma mater.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
Not really.  Always respected Duke's program and coach K.  Yes, they've had a few missteps over the years, but I think by and large they do it right.

I think Bo Ryan is an amazing coach, just don't care for him personally. The Wisconsin team was terrific....their smug fans are hard to deal with.  I find Duke fans less smug, and I used to work with many Duke grads.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »
Nope. I feel great.

Badgers choke.

I won my pool.

Done and done.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
The Wisconsin team was terrific....their smug fans are hard to deal with.  I find Duke fans less smug, and I used to work with many Duke grads.

I spent a lot of time explaining to Sparty fans that the Wiscy fanbase is more arrogant than Michigan's.   For the Wolverine fans, I explained their were in some ways worse than Buckeye fans.   Both sets of fans were shocked. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
I spent a lot of time explaining to Sparty fans that the Wiscy fanbase is more arrogant than Michigan's.   For the Wolverine fans, I explained their were in some ways worse than Buckeye fans.   Both sets of fans were shocked. 

Hang on...Bucky fans are pretty arrogant and all, but worse than Buckeye fans?! I don't know about that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
It has been my experience that, while incredibly arrogant and obnoxious, Buckeye fans don't have nearly the latent and blatant racist leanings.   Ergo, from my perspective, Wiscy fans are worse. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
I'm not a Duke hater.   I've admired their program for the last 30 years.   I had to explain to several people, including my wife, that despite (actually, BECAUSE of) going to college in Wisconsin, that I was rooting for Duke, just as I was rooting for Kentucky to on Saturday.   So, not dirty.   Immensely relieved, like when the villain/monster/demon is finally killed off in spectacular fashion at the end of a movie.  
similar
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
It has been my experience that, while incredibly arrogant and obnoxious, Buckeye fans don't have nearly the latent and blatant racist leanings.   Ergo, from my perspective, Wiscy fans are worse. 

For a guy not born in the Upper Midwest nor Ohio Valley, I have more experience with these two fan bases than I ever imagined I would. The bolded above has been something I've witnessed as well. OSU doesn't resort to the white privilege quite as much as UW does.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
I wouldn't even say I was that happy last night, I was mostly just relieved. Relieved I wouldn't have to take crap from people who didn't even go to UW-Madison. Most of the people I know who actually went there aren't the obnoxious ones. Its the people who didn't.

I don't need to feel dirty or guilty about being relieved. I am at peace. Badgers had a great run. Life goes on.  

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »

Fair point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
Had a great night sleep. Don't feel the least bit "dirty."

Thrilled Bucky might have blown its last chance at a title before we get our next crown!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
Sweet silence around the office today is a beautiful thing.  This sh.t eating grin might be on my face all day.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
I wouldn't even say I was that happy last night, I was mostly just relieved. Relieved I wouldn't have to take crap from people who didn't even go to UW-Madison. Most of the people I know who actually went there aren't the obnoxious ones. Its the people who didn't.

I don't need to feel dirty or guilty about being relieved. I am at peace. Badgers had a great run. Life goes on.  

+1

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I think I've clicked on this thread about 10 times this morning just to see the picture of Sad Telebucky again.  I can just picture him wearing that suit walking home from the game by himself down the streets of Indianapolis and kicking a rock down the sidewalk all the way back to his aunt's house who lives in Indy where he and his friends all stayed in her basement for the weekend.  Right about now his crew is probably scraping up enough change for the tolls on 294 as they drive home to Madison, and he's still wearing that suit looking sad in the passenger seat.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
All my feelings of dirtiness went out the door as soon as that Bucky fan started running his mouth last night. Its a great day, no red in sight besides Blackhawks apparel.

ATLmarquettefan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
I've been a long time Duke hater, but there was something different about this team that made me actually like them, even before the tourney. It's been written about a lot this morning, but this is a very un-Duke like team with the one-and-dones, yet they carried themselves differently then Kentucky. They were fun group to watch and actually happy they won.

Got to throw this out there, Coack K taking over head coaching duties for USA Basketball was huge for that program. I think it is the main reason he is now able to recruit some of these one and dones. Knowing Wojo was involved as well, I wonder how much he uses that experience in his pitch to recruits.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
I've been a long time Duke hater, but there was something different about this team that made me actually like them, even before the tourney. It's been written about a lot this morning, but this is a very un-Duke like team with the one-and-dones, yet they carried themselves differently then Kentucky. They were fun group to watch and actually happy they won.

Got to throw this out there, Coack K taking over head coaching duties for USA Basketball was huge for that program. I think it is the main reason he is now able to recruit some of these one and dones. Knowing Wojo was involved as well, I wonder how much he uses that experience in his pitch to recruits.
I admit that I was pulling for UW.  But, that Duke team deserves a lot of respect.  Duke seemed to carry themselves with maturity and character.  Didn't react too much to bad calls, etc. I have come to respect Duke and coach K more and more, especially with a team like this one where the younger guys seem very under control emotionally, etc.

And, as the game went on, I found it harder to pull for UW, especially because of that Grayson Allen kid.  Maybe my new favorite college player.  Fearless taking it to the hoop when Duke needed someone to step up.  I want that type of kid on MU!  Reminds me of Diener (not in size, or style, but in the fearless attitude.. the give me an inch and I'll make you pay type of game). 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
Those freshmen played with poise well beyond their years. And in a very hostile environment as well. Huge credit to them.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
Lesser of two evils. What's another title to Duke? I know what it would have been to Bucky, and the thought of how insufferable that would have been made the choice pretty easy.

Besides, how many other coaches can sit in a recruit's living room and truthfully say they personally helped assemble the team that just won the national championship?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »
I really wanted UW to lose and I like Duke more than any of the other Blue Bloods. When UW was up 9 I told my wife that I think I am going to get physically sick and the game quickly turned around before I could stop watching it. I was whooping and dancing when it was obvious that UW was going to lose. I do not know, if I feel dirty, but I am struggling with the idea that I could hate my own State's school so much. It probably is not healthy to have so much hate about anything. The fact is I do not hate UW or Bo Ryan. Just some of their fans, including one in my office. They are jerks to say it kindly and I just could bare to see them win, but I do not think that is a good thing to feel that way. It just should not matter that much.