collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 98081 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
Hahahaha, Phil Rogers is a moron.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/132452926/chris-sale-trade-to-cubs-makes-sense

I would think the only team that would realistically trade for Sale would be the Dodgers, with a package built around Pederson, Seager and Urias.

If the Cubs wanted him, I wouldn't do the deal without Bryant coming back.  The Cubs aren't doing that.  Who knows, maybe something with Schwarber, Torres, Soler and Edwards would do it. 

Sale is just so valuable with his contract and his unreal talent.  He pitches as near to Kershaw as anyone and a third the cost. 

No one is untouchable, but Sale would really require a haul in return.  A historic haul. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:42:09 PM by buckchuckler »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »
I would think the only team that would realistically trade for Sale would be the Dodgers, with a package built around Pederson, Seager and Urias.

If the Cubs wanted him, I wouldn't do the deal without Bryant coming back.  The Cubs aren't doing that.  Who knows, maybe something with Schwarber, Torres, Soler and Edwards would do it. 

Sale is just so valuable with his contract and his unreal talent.  He pitches as near to Kershaw as anyone and a third the cost. 

No one is untouchable, but Sale would really require a haul in return.  A historic haul. 

Baez, McKinney, Edwards and Castro could realistically get the deal done in terms of value. It'll never happen though.

As much as he is valuable, he's also still a giant risk.

Quite frankly the Sox fan in me wants them to trade him, they're not doing crap anytime soon, move him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2015, 05:16:21 PM »
I was pretty pissed off after only watching the game to see Sale pitch.

Then you're pretty much an idiot for watching.

Hahahaha, Phil Rogers is a moron.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/132452926/chris-sale-trade-to-cubs-makes-sense

This concreted it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
Baez, McKinney, Edwards and Castro could realistically get the deal done in terms of value. It'll never happen though.

I don't think that would beat every other offer for Sale.  If he was made available, you would think there would be quite the bidding war. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/chris-sale-not-getting-traded/

Suggests that it would need a package centered around a guy like Carlos Correa to make Hahn listen. 

brandx

« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/chris-sale-not-getting-traded/

Suggests that it would need a package centered around a guy like Carlos Correa to make Hahn listen.

Houston would not trade Correa for Sale. And I don't mean that as a knock on Chris.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
I don't know if any team would be willing to give up what the Sox would deserve for Sale.  The contract is insanely team friendly.

For this reason I think he stays with the Sox.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
I don't think that would beat every other offer for Sale.  If he was made available, you would think there would be quite the bidding war. 

I don't think so either, just trying to stack value.

Hahn's got a talent that could completely revamp the entire organization with one trade. The fanbase will never let it go though.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »
Houston would not trade Correa for Sale. And I don't mean that as a knock on Chris.

Completely agree.  It just illustrates how the Sox wouldn't be able to get the value for him, because teams don't trade talent like that.  Especially if it is cost controlled long term. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
If the Cubs make any sort of significant move, I would have to believe Schwarber has to be the centerpiece. They are more or less stuck with Montero, as he is owed like $35M the next 2.5 years. That's a big non-pitching paycheck to have playing every 5 days. They could of course just eat that, but to make a move they will have to give up something, and unless the plan is to move him to a different position, it seems he is somewhat blocked, but would also bring an extremely nice return. I'd love to see the Brewers make some sort of deal involving Lucroy (who is extremely cheap the next 2+ years) and KRod for Schwarber.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Go Angels

brandx

« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
If the Cubs make any sort of significant move, I would have to believe Schwarber has to be the centerpiece. They are more or less stuck with Montero, as he is owed like $35M the next 2.5 years. That's a big non-pitching paycheck to have playing every 5 days. They could of course just eat that, but to make a move they will have to give up something, and unless the plan is to move him to a different position, it seems he is somewhat blocked, but would also bring an extremely nice return. I'd love to see the Brewers make some sort of deal involving Lucroy (who is extremely cheap the next 2+ years) and KRod for Schwarber.

Why would the Cubs do that? Schwarber will be a much better hitter than Lucroy. And cheaper. For longer.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
Why would the Cubs do that? Schwarber will be a much better hitter than Lucroy. And cheaper. For longer.

Because right now (and likely for the next year or two), he can't catch and he sure as heck isn't gonna stay in AAA another year or two behind Montero. Defense matters, and if they want to keep Bryant at 3B, Castroat SS and put Schwarber behind the plate, they will kill themselves. They have a WS window that is currently open, or at least opening, and will be for the next couple years. Next year and the year after, for sure, they should be set up as well as any team to win the WS. While they have established a system, it's obviously difficult to predict much beyond that.

Of course the key word in that was if the Cubs make a significant move. We're I them, I would not. With both the Cardinals and pirates in front of them, and built to last, I think the Cubs have the rest of this year and next offseason to adjust the chess pieces a bit more. Not worth rolling the dice with a one game playoff the likley outcome. Even if they win that game, I don't see them winning three series after that this year.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
Because right now (and likely for the next year or two), he can't catch and he sure as heck isn't gonna stay in AAA another year or two behind Montero. Defense matters, and if they want to keep Bryant at 3B, Castroat SS and put Schwarber behind the plate, they will kill themselves. They have a WS window that is currently open, or at least opening, and will be for the next couple years. Next year and the year after, for sure, they should be set up as well as any team to win the WS. While they have established a system, it's obviously difficult to predict much beyond that.

Of course the key word in that was if the Cubs make a significant move. We're I them, I would not. With both the Cardinals and pirates in front of them, and built to last, I think the Cubs have the rest of this year and next offseason to adjust the chess pieces a bit more. Not worth rolling the dice with a one game playoff the likley outcome. Even if they win that game, I don't see them winning three series after that this year.

I see where you are coming from, but if Montero is blocking Schwarber, why would they bring in another catcher in Lucroy?  That aren't moving David Ross or Montero - where does Lucroy fit that Schwarber wouldn't?

The Cubs also don't really need KRod.  The back end is finally starting to take shape with Motte, Strop, Rondon, and Grimm pitching better.

If the Cubs do anything at the deadline I would assume it would be finding a trade for starting pitching like Shields or Hamels (moving Castro, Vogelbach, and others).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
I see where you are coming from, but if Montero is blocking Schwarber, why would they bring in another catcher in Lucroy?  That aren't moving David Ross or Montero - where does Lucroy fit that Schwarber wouldn't?

He wouldn't. That's why I said I'd like to see. It would be good for the Brewers. My initial point was that Schwarber is a prime candidate as the centerpiece of any deal. Montero isn't going anywhere which currently leaves Schwarber with nowhere to ply other than AAA. These things tend to work themselves out, but something's gonna have to give.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
Schwarber will be playing outfield as a professional unfortunately. All catcher talk is Cubs trade bait.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2015, 02:58:35 PM »
And just like that, Montero out for a month and a half. Schwarber recalled to catch. Like I said, these things tend to work themselves out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Crean sucks

This makes me laugh every time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »

A package built around Pederson, Seager, AND Urias?  You're high.  Sale is immensely valuable but Friedman might pass out from laughing so hard at a request like that. 

The likely resolution is the Sox will value Sale more highly than what teams are willing to pay for him.  I'd love to see him on the Cubs but it will never happen for a multitude of reasons. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
A package built around Pederson, Seager, AND Urias?  You're high.  Sale is immensely valuable but Friedman might pass out from laughing so hard at a request like that. 

The likely resolution is the Sox will value Sale more highly than what teams are willing to pay for him.  I'd love to see him on the Cubs but it will never happen for a multitude of reasons.

Sale is a once in a generation type player for a franchise. Not even Beuhrle was nearly as good as Sale. Of course they're going to over value him. Think the Dodgers are giving up Kershaw anytime soon? Same with Houston with Dallas.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

You're likely correct in that defensively Schwarber is not ready to catch in the major leagues on a regular basis however he should be able to play some LF as well.  It might develop into a situation where he splits time between C and LF depending on matchup.  At the end of this year Montero will have 2 years and $28 million left and Ross will have one year left.  If the Cubs think Schwarber is ready to contribute neither of those guys will impact their decision.   

Based on the mid-season rankings that have just been released Schwarber is a consensus top 10 prospect and immensely valuable.  I think he is almost as untouchable as Bryant and Russell are at this point.  It will be interesting to see how he is used while Montero is out.  And if Montero is out for the full 6 weeks that likely means Schwarber may be up for the remainder of the season. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #322 on: July 16, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
Sale is a once in a generation type player for a franchise. Not even Beuhrle was nearly as good as Sale. Of course they're going to over value him. Think the Dodgers are giving up Kershaw anytime soon? Same with Houston with Dallas.

And there is nothing wrong with overvaluing him.  But they aren't going to get all three of those guys from the Dodgers or someone like Bryant from the Cubs.  It's likely too hard to match up on a deal for a talent on a contract like that. 

The Sox need to sell off and build around Sale, Rodon, Quintana and Abreu.  The problem is aside from Samardzija all of their other pieces have stunk. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #323 on: July 16, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
And there is nothing wrong with overvaluing him.  But they aren't going to get all three of those guys from the Dodgers or someone like Bryant from the Cubs.  It's likely too hard to match up on a deal for a talent on a contract like that. 

The Sox need to sell off and build around Sale, Rodon, Quintana and Abreu.  The problem is aside from Samardzija all of their other pieces have stunk.

They should have traded Alexi last year when his vale was the highest it will ever be.

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #324 on: July 16, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
The Cubs aren't trading Schwarber. He's Theo's favorite of the young guns including Bryant. If there was a deal to be made id like to maybe see a package deal with baez Alcanrtra  McKinney and Torres
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:14:32 PM by ronald dragon »

feedback