collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Classy, Hey?  (Read 33668 times)

brandx

Re: Classy, Hey?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
just wondering how this would have played out if indiana pizza restaurant owner, when asked if she would cater a gay wedding responded with what mr. harrison said-of course this is after a 20 hour work day, business a little slow, unruly customers, that's just crystal being crystal, but she's learned from it and apologized-all good  ::)

Mercy me.... those awful gays are almost as bad as them uppity black folk. They just always pick on those poor, put-upon white folks just tryin' to make an honest living.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »
Not to defend Kentucky, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended to be a racial statement... sort of the same as saying, "Man, screw that guy"

However Brenna Ryan's tweet about white basketball was absolutely intended to reference race. Consider me not sympathetic to Badgers
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
Not to defend Kentucky, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended to be a racial statement... sort of the same as saying, "Man, screw that guy"

However Brenna Ryan's tweet about white basketball was absolutely intended to reference race. Consider me not sympathetic to Badgers

I don't think it was "racial" either, but then again there are many statements made that aren't racial which people say is racial...that was part of the point.

If we truly want to remove some of these words from the lexicon of our vocabularies as people, then there should be universal condemnation of the words being used by ANYONE.  You can't parse it and say "well, you can use it....you can't....you can, but only in songs...blah blah".  Is the word a problem or isn't?  Is the word only a problem for some?

If we want the elimination of some of these words, it should be universal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
I don't think it was "racial" either, but then again there are many statements made that aren't racial which people say is racial...that was part of the point.

If we truly want to remove some of these words from the lexicon of our vocabularies as people, then there should be universal condemnation of the words being used by ANYONE.  You can't parse it and say "well, you can use it....you can't....you can, but only in songs...blah blah".  Is the word a problem or isn't?  Is the word only a problem for some?

Is this really something you lose sleep about?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
Why is this polluting the SuperBar?

Why is it not in the cesspool of the Politics board?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »

Yea I think you're hijacking this. It's a basketball forum, not a place where everyone wants to delve into the cesspool of semantics surrounding the n-word.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
Is this really something you lose sleep about?

Am I losing sleep over it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
Am I losing sleep over it?

You're certainly not losing sleep over your avoidance of the Cooper Riley-Andrew Harrison, apples-to-apples comparison.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »

Am I missing something?  Wasn't Harrison condemned by most for his use of the word?  Sure some people are going to disagree, but that's the way it is with everything.

Why do you gin up controversies where none exist?  Why are you ignoring the Riley Cooper situation where a white guy used the same exact word, but in a much different context, yet pretty much faced little consequence? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
It wasn't classy, it was wrong, it should not be repeated....tired of the BS exceptions, excuses that continue to allow this crap to go on.

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/2015/04/06/Twine-Line-Thanks-Kentucky-for-revealing-yourself.html

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2015, 02:08:09 AM »
Wow.  Just learned about this.  100% unacceptable.  I hope the NCAA comes down hard on Mr. Harrison and Kentucky if it doesn't 'self police' this.  I do think that Harrison did the right thing by immediately telephoning Frank. 

What could the Ncaa or Kentucky possibily do to him? He's never going to play another game in college.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
It wasn't classy, it was wrong, it should not be repeated....tired of the BS exceptions, excuses that continue to allow this crap to go on.

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/2015/04/06/Twine-Line-Thanks-Kentucky-for-revealing-yourself.html

Did you address Riley Cooper yet?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
Did you address Riley Cooper yet?

No.  He hasn't.

I was debating this with a friend of mine yesterday, and he was getting very upset over many of the same things that Chicos was getting upset about and he finally said to me "why aren't you getting upset over the double-standard?"

And I finally replied "Look, I am a middle-class, white male who lives in the USA.  My life is better than probably 98% of the people on this earth.  I am not going to get upset over blacks getting more of a pass to use the n-word than whites get."

And this is really what frustrates me about people like Chicos.  In the grand scheme of things, this is so minor.  There is hypocrisy all around us.  Double standards all around us.  Many that I frankly benefit from.    I just can't get all upset about a double standard that doesn't allow me to use the n-word.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »

No.  He hasn't.

I was debating this with a friend of mine yesterday, and he was getting very upset over many of the same things that Chicos was getting upset about and he finally said to me "why aren't you getting upset over the double-standard?"

And I finally replied "Look, I am a middle-class, white male who lives in the USA.  My life is better than probably 98% of the people on this earth.  I am not going to get upset over blacks getting more of a pass to use the n-word than whites get."

And this is really what frustrates me about people like Chicos.  In the grand scheme of things, this is so minor.  There is hypocrisy all around us.  Double standards all around us.  Many that I frankly benefit from.    I just can't get all upset about a double standard that doesn't allow me to use the n-word.

Extremely well said, as usual, Sultan. I have very little to be angry about in my life. If you are on Scoop, you were probably born on 3rd base, compared to most of the world.  Not being able to use the n word while some people do is not something I am particularly distressed about.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:28 AM »
Thank you.

I just get so frustrated by people on both sides of the political spectrum that seemingly spend all their time pointing out all ways society is persecuting them.  I just can't get all wrapped up in that.

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
Extremely well said, as usual, Sultan. I have very little to be angry about in my life. If you are on Scoop, you were probably born on 3rd base, compared to most of the world.  Not being able to use the n word while some people do is not something I am particularly distressed about.
not to mention, I'm pretty sure most white people are severely overestimating how cool they'd sound saying the n-word, should it all of a sudden become accessible to them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

No.  He hasn't.

And I finally replied "Look, I am a middle-class, white male who lives in the USA.  My life is better than probably 98% of the people on this earth.  I am not going to get upset over blacks getting more of a pass to use the n-word than whites get."

And this is really what frustrates me about people like Chicos.  In the grand scheme of things, this is so minor.  There is hypocrisy all around us.  Double standards all around us.  Many that I frankly benefit from.    I just can't get all upset about a double standard that doesn't allow me to use the n-word.

Sultan, you are 100% correct. Look around the world, your country or even your city. Chico, you and I won the lottery at birth and have been living the dream ever since. We should be head over heels with gratitude and maybe even a little sheepish about our good fortune. We should be generous in our outreach to those born to less fortunate circumstances. Be grateful, be happy. Very simple.

Not for Chico and his ilk. They can't graciously acknowledge their good fortune. They think they earned that lottery ticket. In their bizarro world, they're the underdogs, the victims - and that validates them. It also makes them defensive, suspicious, angry, combative and ultimately unhappy. Chico would never admit this but it comes through loud and clear in his constant battles here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
Sultan, you are 100% correct. Look around the world, your country or even your city. Chico, you and I won the lottery at birth and have been living the dream ever since. We should be head over heels with gratitude and maybe even a little sheepish about our good fortune. We should be generous in our outreach to those born to less fortunate circumstances. Be grateful, be happy. Very simple.

Not for Chico and his ilk. They can't graciously acknowledge their good fortune. They think they earned that lottery ticket. In their bizarro world, they're the underdogs, the victims - and that validates them. It also makes them defensive, suspicious, angry, combative and ultimately unhappy. Chico would never admit this but it comes through loud and clear in his constant battles here.

Yep, nothing tougher than being a white Christian male who grew up in a loving family.

brandx

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
Agree with all this here. 60 years old and have yet to be a victim of discrimination even once in my life.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
Not only that, Pakuni, but did you notice how Chicos completely ignored your very apt comparison to the Riley Cooper situation? That's a popular Chicos trick when he can't make a legit counter -- because far be it from him to actually acknowledge that somebody who makes a point that tarnishes his narrative might be correct.

Unlike Reid or Shaq or Chicos' other strawmen, the Cooper-Harrison comparison is valid and outstanding.

Harrison is a well-known black athlete who used the N-word in a public setting and sounded idiotic and immature doing it. (He also almost immediately issued a public apology and called Kaminsky to apologize privately.)  Cooper is a well-known white athlete who used the n-word in a public setting -- and beyond that, threatened loudly to fight every n----- in the room. (A day later, Cooper apologized through a statement that was sent to the media.) Not only wasn't Cooper suspended, but he went on to get a huge contract less than a year later. Is that the kind of "punishment" some here want for Harrison, too? If so, I don't think he'd mind.

Riley was, in fact, condemned by a lot of people, including me. But I didn't think he should be suspended or cut, and he wasn't.

Nor do I think Harrison should be punished severely.

Maybe make him sit through some sensitivity training -- that's often the pretend punishment these kinds of things result in. In the unlikely event he returns for his junior year, maybe make him sit out one half of one game as an example.

Either of which is more punishment than Riley Cooper got for a far more inflammatory comment in a far more dangerous situation.

MU82, is this the post you want me to comment on that you mentioned today?   What exactly are you looking for?  Cooper should have been suspended, period.  This isn't hard....how would I be ducking this question, it's beyond silly.  He should have been punished.

What I told Pakuni was his stupidity of saying "I don't remember you getting all upset when Riley Cooper did this 2 years ago" argument was beyond lame.  Was that topic even discussed here?  Was I even here when it happened?  So on and so forth.  If you want, we can go back and vet every single situation in human history and make sure we're all on record.   :o

OH, but just for giggles....I did weigh in on Riley Cooper in a different thread long ago....apparently Pakuni didn't see it either....from two years ago.  OUCH!   http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39179.msg508758#msg508758

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »

Let's keep this in perspective. When Riley Cooper did the same thing in a much more egregious manner - for reasons which I hope are obvious - he wasn't suspended from a single game or practice by either the Eagles or the NFL. Was that fair?
Where was your call for condemnation and outrage then?

I said it was wrong then....racism is racism.   

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39179.msg508758#msg508758

I've been consistent for years.  Doesn't matter who says it, racist comments are racist comments and need to stop.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
I thought the version that ended in "gga" was ok depending on who stated it.  Obviously, I can't say it, but that's what I was told....in fact here on MU Scoop.

They really should give out rule books to everyone now, might clear some things up.

Are you a four year old? Do you really need to be told why you can't say the n-word?  Why is this something you want to be able to say? Why are you wasting a single ounce of brain power on this? You can't say it. And that does NOT make you a victim.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2015, 10:41:43 PM »
MU82, is this the post you want me to comment on that you mentioned today?   What exactly are you looking for?  Cooper should have been suspended, period.  This isn't hard....how would I be ducking this question, it's beyond silly.  He should have been punished.

What I told Pakuni was his stupidity of saying "I don't remember you getting all upset when Riley Cooper did this 2 years ago" argument was beyond lame.  Was that topic even discussed here?  Was I even here when it happened?  So on and so forth.  If you want, we can go back and vet every single situation in human history and make sure we're all on record.   :o

OH, but just for giggles....I did weigh in on Riley Cooper in a different thread long ago....apparently Pakuni didn't see it either....from two years ago.  OUCH!   http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39179.msg508758#msg508758

All right, Chicos ...

After the Harrison n-word incident, some bozo posted, "If a white Badgers player had said that after losing vs Kentucky last year, he's probably kicked out of school." And you responded, "Kicked out of school.....hell, there would be 24/7 coverage on MSNBC for the next 3 weeks."

You went on to talk about double-standards in succeeding posts, veered to Harry Reid and Joe Biden (of course) and finally said: "I can give you 100's of other examples...always an excuse....UNLESS....the wrong person says it and then there is hell to pay and we'll be damn sure the extract that pound of flesh every single damn day."

But when the fact was brought up that Riley Cooper -- who is white and therefore I assume fits your definition of "the wrong person" -- indeed used the n-word in an even more inflammatory way and wasn't suspended (and actually later received an eight-figure contract), you chose to ignore that.

We weren't asking you to condemn Cooper; we know you did so in the past. We were asking you if you wanted to keep claiming that a white jock automatically would be punished severely for saying the n-word -- when clearly, Riley Cooper's situation offered proof that your narrative there was bogus.

Look, I tend to see things in shades of gray and I often admit when I mess up. You see almost everything in black and white, and you are always right, at least on this board. In fact, you usually double-down or triple-down, even when you are caught stretching the truth or making strawman arguments.

You and I obviously will never agree on anything and, unlike you, I don't enjoy arguing for the sense of arguing. It's exhausting, and I'd rather do something more productive with my time, like pick lint out of my belly-button, or something less painful, like hit my thumb with a hammer.

Besides, it's not as if there aren't plenty of others who will challenge the silly things you say. So I'm done with you, at least for awhile.

Have a good spring and summer. Go Marquette!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
I did comment on Riley Cooper, in the past, despite Pakuni's protestations that he doesn't recall me ever commenting on it.  My point, which you brought up, was that the media woudl go on and on about it depending on WHO said the what.  In Riley Cooper example, the media did just that....the media spent an entire week + examining it because of WHO said the what, which was exactly my point and exactly what happened.  As predicted, in this situation, it would die down within hours....which of course...it did.

I admit I'm wrong all the time.  I'm happy to go to the search function and list a few 100 posts where I have.  It's lazy for you to say I'm always right....intellectually lazy....it really is.  Always, never....intellectually lazy.

I double down or triple down on things I believe in....nuance.  Many things aren't black and white, some are.  See, we agree on something.  The things that I find black and white, folks like you make excuses and scream nuance, grey areas..yes, I go after that because I don't find them nuanced at all.  Then things that I find that have grey areas and nuanced, well you guys want a black and white answer.  LOL.  We're guilty of it on both sides.  See, just admitted that I'm guilty of it....we have so much in common.  Difference is, what you see as black and white, I don't.  What I see as black and white, you don't.   You call it silly.  OK, I find a lot of what you're saying silly.  As any of these threads show, plenty of people that call you guys silly, plenty of people that call me and others silly.  That's the deal.

I think we would agree on many things, so to say we would not agree on anything ever....again, intellectually lazy.  You give up to fast.  I'll bet we have a ton of common ground. 

Have a great Summer.  I think you feel these jousts are somehow meanspirited or anger laced, but they aren't.  I chuckle almost always when writing or reading them....that is unless someone is hurling racial nonsense.  Other than that, water of the back.

Peace....enjoy....maybe that beer sometime to talk about moderate views.   ;)

feedback