collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Classy, Hey?  (Read 33688 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Classy, Hey?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »
I beg to differ.  You're trying to have it both ways, just like Stephen A. Smith.  Condemnation....BUT.   What he said was stupid....BUT.    What he did was wrong....BUT.

Seems to be a lot of BUTS, a lot of excuses.  So while you claim to say that no one is saying what Harrison did was ok, you come around like others to justify why he did it.  And others flat out say you just don't understand the "differences".  Those are excuses, you're trying to have it both ways.

So I beg to differ, I'm not making anything up.  You condemn, then excuse.  You rationalize.  Others say it isn't black and white, you just wouldn't understand.  Always an excuse, always a justification.  Therefore, sorry, it's not a condemnation as much as you want it to be.

Not one time have I said "what he said was stupid, but." Not once have I justified why he did it.
It's all here in the thread. You lie.

Still waiting to hear your ideas for proper condemnation and punishment.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:31:47 PM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
It was a stupid thing to say that deserved (and got) an apology, agreed?
Not OK, but also not outrageous.
But some here are demanding public condemnation, punishment and the involvement of Al Sharpton. Because only then can we hope to improve race relations, or something.

People are asking for true condemnation and EQUAL treatment.  It's about equality, right?  Or wait....is there a BUT coming again?

It's rarely what is said, it's WHO SAYS THE WHAT!  The double standards from you guys seems to pop up all too often.

Harry Reid says Obama is light skinned and doesn't speak with a Negro dialect.....crickets.  Takes 2 years to apologize.  Nuance.  Progress.  You wouldn't understand...Harry is black after all.   

Joe Biden makes racial remarks about Dunkin Donuts owners....crickets.  Joe being Joe.  Excuses.  Nuance.

Shaq...“Tell [NBA center] Yao Ming, ‘Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-so.”....crickets. 

I can give you 100's of other examples...always an excuse....UNLESS....the wrong person says it and then there is hell to pay and we'll be damn sure the extract that pound of flesh every single damn day. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
Not one time have I said "what he said was stupid, but." Not once have I justified why he did it.
It's all here in the thread. You lie.

Still waiting to hear your ideas for proper condemnation and punishment.

BS.... you did in your very first statement

"It's so unfair that black people can say that word and white people can't. It's almost as if context matters. Just another example of how tough it is for the white man in America today.

That's your BUT....that's your excuse....context matters.  There's always a but, always a reason why.

Your second statement...."If you don't understand why and how there's a huge difference in meaning and context when a white person uses that word, you're truly beyond help."

There's your BUT, your excuse....don't you understand WHY it can be used and the meaning is different and context and nuance and progress.....

I could go on, but yes....you did EXACTLY what I said you did.  Condemn, BUT....it was stupid, BUT...it was wrong, BUT

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
BS.... you did in your very first statement

"It's so unfair that black people can say that word and white people can't. It's almost as if context matters. Just another example of how tough it is for the white man in America today.

That's your BUT....that's your excuse....context matters.  There's always a but, always a reason why.

Your second statement...."If you don't understand why and how there's a huge difference in meaning and context when a white person uses that word, you're truly beyond help."

There's your BUT, your excuse....don't you understand WHY it can be used and the meaning is different and context and nuance and progress.....

I could go on, but yes....you did EXACTLY what I said you did.  Condemn, BUT....it was stupid, BUT...it was wrong, BUT

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I just love it when rich old white dudes find a Cause to get behind. Public flogging, just like old times hey?  Chicos will bring the bedsheets and hangin' rope.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »
People are asking for true condemnation and EQUAL treatment.  It's about equality, right?  Or wait....is there a BUT coming again?

It's rarely what is said, it's WHO SAYS THE WHAT!  The double standards from you guys seems to pop up all too often.

Harry Reid says Obama is light skinned and doesn't speak with a Negro dialect.....crickets.  Takes 2 years to apologize.  Nuance.  Progress.  You wouldn't understand...Harry is black after all.   

Joe Biden makes racial remarks about Dunkin Donuts owners....crickets.  Joe being Joe.  Excuses.  Nuance.

Shaq...“Tell [NBA center] Yao Ming, ‘Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-so.”....crickets. 

I can give you 100's of other examples...always an excuse....UNLESS....the wrong person says it and then there is hell to pay and we'll be damn sure the extract that pound of flesh every single damn day. 

Chico's if you told your boss in front of the whole office to pull his head out of his A$$, what would happen.

Now if you told your secretary the same thing after making a mistake, it would be fine.  Context does matter.  Context defines possible connotations and affects perception.  To ignore these aspects is ignorant.

Was Harrison's statements appropriate? No! But it is not as much of a story as if it was flipped and rightly so, because of context.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Superbar

Edit:  Just kidding, it's already here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:36:03 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
Doyel nails it.

Context matters, you know? The same word doesn't mean the same thing in every context. Example: Wisconsin's Sam Dekker drains a 3-pointer over the 6-11 Towns and I'm thinking, "Dekker is a bad, bad man." What do I mean by "bad?" You know what I mean. And it's a compliment, not an insult.

Andrew Harrison was not complimenting Frank Kaminsky, make no mistake about that, but he was not slurring him, either. Context. It matters. So does perspective, and that's what any conversation about race — any conversation worth having — demands. Bring context and perspective to it, or sit it out. This topic is way too complicated, too dangerous, to be dictated by the unsophisticated.

Sadly, the unsophisticated are the emcees of today's social discourse. They are on Twitter and Facebook and the radio, and they are contributing their unsophisticated takes to a conversation that is the poorer for it.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/04/05/doyel-harrisons-word-choice-continues-conversation/25331669/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:12:15 PM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 04:12:30 PM »
This is what's so frustrating about you, Chico's. You out-and-out make stuff up. Constantly. You're disingenuous.
Not one person here has argued that what Harrison said is OK. Not one.

In the meantime, you continue to demand condemnation and punishment, without saying what you consider appropriate condemnation and punishment is.

But thanks for bringing up Washington. Reminds us all that you'll vehemently defend the right of a billion dollar corporation to use and profit off a racial slur, while demanding condemnation and punishment for a college kid who mutters a slur under his breath.

Not only that, Pakuni, but did you notice how Chicos completely ignored your very apt comparison to the Riley Cooper situation? That's a popular Chicos trick when he can't make a legit counter -- because far be it from him to actually acknowledge that somebody who makes a point that tarnishes his narrative might be correct.

Unlike Reid or Shaq or Chicos' other strawmen, the Cooper-Harrison comparison is valid and outstanding.

Harrison is a well-known black athlete who used the N-word in a public setting and sounded idiotic and immature doing it. (He also almost immediately issued a public apology and called Kaminsky to apologize privately.)  Cooper is a well-known white athlete who used the n-word in a public setting -- and beyond that, threatened loudly to fight every n----- in the room. (A day later, Cooper apologized through a statement that was sent to the media.) Not only wasn't Cooper suspended, but he went on to get a huge contract less than a year later. Is that the kind of "punishment" some here want for Harrison, too? If so, I don't think he'd mind.

Riley was, in fact, condemned by a lot of people, including me. But I didn't think he should be suspended or cut, and he wasn't.

Nor do I think Harrison should be punished severely.

Maybe make him sit through some sensitivity training -- that's often the pretend punishment these kinds of things result in. In the unlikely event he returns for his junior year, maybe make him sit out one half of one game as an example.

Either of which is more punishment than Riley Cooper got for a far more inflammatory comment in a far more dangerous situation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »
Doyel nails it.

Context matters, you know? The same word doesn't mean the same thing in every context. Example: Wisconsin's Sam Dekker drains a 3-pointer over the 6-11 Towns and I'm thinking, "Dekker is a bad, bad man." What do I mean by "bad?" You know what I mean. And it's a compliment, not an insult.

Andrew Harrison was not complimenting Frank Kaminsky, make no mistake about that, but he was not slurring him, either. Context. It matters. So does perspective, and that's what any conversation about race — any conversation worth having — demands. Bring context and perspective to it, or sit it out. This topic is way too complicated, too dangerous, to be dictated by the unsophisticated.

Sadly, the unsophisticated are the emcees of today's social discourse. They are on Twitter and Facebook and the radio, and they are contributing their unsophisticated takes to a conversation that is the poorer for it.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/04/05/doyel-harrisons-word-choice-continues-conversation/25331669/

This is well put.  Though Booker T also elaborates on this issue

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iQm33xvEfnU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iQm33xvEfnU</a>

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Robert Downey Jr. breaks it down.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jnw6ZpHGjNQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jnw6ZpHGjNQ</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Not only that, Pakuni, but did you notice how Chicos completely ignored your very apt comparison to the Riley Cooper situation? That's a popular Chicos trick when he can't make a legit counter -- because far be it from him to actually acknowledge that somebody who makes a point that tarnishes his narrative might be correct.

If Chicos can't respond with a talking point, he's clueless.  Those expecting him to respond in a reasonable, intelligent manner are usually disappointed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

Expected an answer like that.   You were providing buts and excuses the entire time, and can't even recognize it.  Reminds me a lot of liberal press, it's so engrained in them they can't take a step back and even recognize it.

but but but but...a reason, a rational situation, a justification that explains the nuance....so much fun.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »

Yes, Tyson, it does sound like a broken record.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
I just love it when rich old white dudes find a Cause to get behind. Public flogging, just like old times hey?  Chicos will bring the bedsheets and hangin' rope.   

Awesome....very well said.  Yes, a liberal throwing the racism charges out....always a winner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
Chico's if you told your boss in front of the whole office to pull his head out of his A$$, what would happen.

Now if you told your secretary the same thing after making a mistake, it would be fine.  Context does matter.  Context defines possible connotations and affects perception.  To ignore these aspects is ignorant.

Was Harrison's statements appropriate? No! But it is not as much of a story as if it was flipped and rightly so, because of context.

Extremely poor analogy.   First, in our setting in a private conversation we're allowed to tell our bosses they have their heads up their asses.  Ironically, we are not allowed to tell our subordinates.  Regardless, just not a good example when you're talking about racially charged words.

Now, I actually agree with you that I think this whole thing is much ado about nothing, but I also have absolutely zero doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot, this would be a HUGE deal for a long time.  <insert liberal shrieks and protests that of course it is different, minorities can't be racists, you don't live in their shoes, it's "different", history......"

Which is why I've asked the question .....if it's wrong it's wrong...yes?  If it's a slur its a slur?  But what I keep getting back from people are excuses.

Yes, it's wrong and he shouldn't have done it.....but.....but.....but.....context.....past history....1865.....

If it is wrong, it's wrong. Stop the excuses.  Stop the but but but.  Stop giving people a free pass.  You all agree it shouldn't be said, but you also know that a blind eye is turned on it, glorified in all sorts of ways from music, the culture, to whatever.  So which is it...is it wrong or isn't?  You're trying to have it both ways, and the excuses only prove that out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
from bomani Jones through Doyel:
 https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/584816105438457856?s=09

I love that defense....Daniel Snyder doesn't intend Redskins to be a slur.

Cool

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
End of the day, I'm all about getting rid of the word entirely....by everyone!

I guess some of you are not....cuz culture...history...excuses....nuance....

Rather ironic.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
His family, friends, school may want to say, "hey Andrew.. that's inappropriate. Don't represent your school like that."

That's about it.

If he had said, "F that white devil cracker" then we have an issue. He didn't.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Hey Chicos ... how about that Harrison-Cooper comparison? You know, the one in which the white athlete who shouted in public that he would "fight every n-----" and then was punished with a $22.5 million contract.

Haven't heard your take on that yet because, well, it doesn't support your narrative that any white athlete who said what Harrison said would have gotten the death sentence.

Keep ignoring the actual apples-to-apples comparison because it gets in the way of your strawmen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Complete non issue. After hanging around my dad's basketball team and hearing the word said by both black and white players without a second thought from either party it's really not a big deal. It's never been an issue for team chemistry so my dad and the guy he coaches with just let it go.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
I think the double-standard about what is classy and what isn't is delightful.

Badger player gives answer at press conference about "suckoffs" and everyone laughs.

I didn't personally find it offensive or anything, but classy, not the least.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2015, 05:23:37 AM »
just wondering how this would have played out if indiana pizza restaurant owner, when asked if she would cater a gay wedding responded with what mr. harrison said-of course this is after a 20 hour work day, business a little slow, unruly customers, that's just crystal being crystal, but she's learned from it and apologized-all good  ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
Dumb thing to say, and he apologized. Not sure what there is to be upset about at this point. Kaminsky and Bo both said they were over it and it was a non-issue.

feedback