[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:02:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Banking It  (Read 14821 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Big East Banking It
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
The Big East made some nice profits on the first day winning 4 games. Hopefully the Johnies and Friars can do as well.

Would like to see as many of our Big East teams get deep into the tournament as possible . The cash units rewarded can be pretty significant and are shares throughout the league. So we still benefit.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

chapman

• All American
Re: Big East Banking It
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:36 AM »
Anyone know how much shares are worth and what the distribution is in the current BE (even / weighted to winning schools)?  

Yeah, I feel like DePaul wanting to know how much we can leech  :D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
Anyone know how much shares are worth and what the distribution is in the current BE (even / weighted to winning schools)?  

Yeah, I feel like DePaul wanting to know how much we can leech  :D

Each credit is currently worth about $255k this year. But as it pays out to the conference for six years, that ups the long term value to $1.53M. It will actually be more because credit values go up each year. Right now yesterday's 4 wins alone were worth over $6M for the next six years.

I believe we divide those equally and have a guaranteed 10 shares from this tournament. That's about $2.5M per year and $15M total value (not including share value escalation). So keep winning, Big East!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/20/how-a-single-ncaa-tournament-win-is-worth-1-6-million/
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:30:57 AM »
As I said in another thread - Go Nova, et al!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
Exploitation of student athletes continues..

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »
The Big East was a HUGE winner yesterday.  In addition to the fact that each of the four teams won, each victory was by an average of 19.5 points.  In a day where there were 5 games decided by one point, that is a massively telling statistic.  The Big 12 had all three teams lose yesterday, and the state of Texas is already out.  ESPN, which has been clearly against the Big East since they lost the contract to Fox Sports, predicted that the Big East would only win one of the opening round games (Villanova) - looking at you Lunardi and Gottleib.  It looks like a distinct possibility that the conference will be sending multiple teams into the Sweet 16.

Another haha moment was the fact that SMU lost to UCLA, a team that basically stole Temple's spot in the tournament, on a very controversial call.  It was a big loss yesterday for the AAC, and all the directional schools that try and diminish what the Big East is all about.

Excellent day.  Looking forward to today.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »
Best part is while I don't think St. John's even wins today..the other 5 have legit shots at sweet 16.

Nova and X look real good.

Gtown is a toss up.

Prov and butler will have tough games(2 for prov still) but certainly do able.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Best part is while I don't think St. John's even wins today..the other 5 have legit shots at sweet 16.

Nova and X look real good.

Gtown is a toss up.

Overall, I think it's looking pretty good for BE.  I'm hoping the crazy cheering for the Big East in March only has to last for a couple more years after some significant success and then I can go back to some hating on conference rivals, which I find very enjoyable.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
The Big East was a HUGE winner yesterday.  In addition to the fact that each of the four teams won, each victory was by an average of 19.5 points.  In a day where there were 5 games decided by one point, that is a massively telling statistic.  

+10 GW, that's exactly what I was going to post here, but you stole my thunder -  ;)

Really impressive opening day for the conference yesterday, GREAT to see that.  

I do think Providence is going to rather easily take care of Dayton.  I'm not as confident in St. John's, but to show how wrong I can be with picking NCAA games, I really thought Eastern Washington would give Georgetown more of a tussle, and maybe even win that one.  

6 for 6 baby!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:11:12 AM by HutchwasClutch »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »

I picked Notre Dame, but now think Butler will beat them. Butler is a lot like the Northeastern team that pushed ND to the brink, but they defend and rebound better. The Irish were destroyed on the boards. Butler is great on the glass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Overall, I think it's looking pretty good for BE.  I'm hoping the crazy cheering for the Big East in March only has to last for a couple more years after some significant success and then I can go back to some hating on conference rivals, which I find very enjoyable.

Definitely hope we start getting back in the mix but come tourney time I always like to see the conference to do well. Obviously when we are in, that's all that truly matters. But if Gtown wants to join us in final 4 they can!!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
I picked Notre Dame, but now think Butler will beat them. Butler is a lot like the Northeastern team that pushed ND to the brink, but they defend and rebound better. The Irish were destroyed on the boards. Butler is great on the glass.

Butler is almost always a tough team to play because of how they play. With great rebounding like you said and physical gritty play it just allows them to hang around or blow you out if you are too soft to respond.

I think they have a real shot vs ND.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Big East 4-2 in first round games.  If the Big East can get multiple teams to the Sweet 16, that would make the conference look really good.  Hope Nova gets to the finals.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 08:19:33 AM »
Butler is almost always a tough team to play because of how they play. With great rebounding like you said and physical gritty play it just allows them to hang around or blow you out if you are too soft to respond.

I think they have a real shot vs ND.

This ND team, like ISU, is the type of team that often gets upset early. I should have thought that before I picked Marquette West to the Final Four ;D. Teams with a great offense but poor defensive efficiency usually seem to go out early. Marquette in 2003 was a rare exception to that.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »
WTF Providence?!  42 pts against an undermanned, undersized Dayton team who had to win a close game on their home floor to even get to play last night?  They take 'Nova right to the wire and should have been in OT that night, and then turn in a giant turd against Dayton.

Admittedly, I didn't see last night's game, but that seems to be on Cooley and his staff.

I don't see him sustaining much success there, maybe popping up once in a while.  But he had two great players this year, and this is how it ends.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:59:23 AM »
WTF Providence?!  42 pts against an undermanned, undersized Dayton team who had to win a close game on their home floor to even get to play last night?  They take 'Nova right to the wire and should have been in OT that night, and then turn in a giant turd against Dayton.

Admittedly, I didn't see last night's game, but that seems to be on Cooley and his staff.

I don't see him sustaining much success there, maybe popping up once in a while.  But he had two great players this year, and this is how it ends.

The flagrant 1 on Dunn early changed the game ... it was an unfortunate call, really messed up PC.  He then got a ticky-tack second foul and went to the bench They turned it over on something like 7 of the next 8 possessions after Dunn left --never got into a groove

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »
While the home crowd for Dayton and uneven reffing didn't help the Friars, they did stink it up. Henton and Dunn were a combined 11/39 from the field. But that 30-7 free throw edge for Dayton was pretty bad, and the technical on Cooley was an absolute joke.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »
While the home crowd for Dayton and uneven reffing didn't help the Friars, they did stink it up. Henton and Dunn were a combined 11/39 from the field. But that 30-7 free throw edge for Dayton was pretty bad, and the technical on Cooley was an absolute joke.

yup ... PC was awful

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »
The flagrant 1 on Dunn early changed the game ... it was an unfortunate call, really messed up PC.  He then got a ticky-tack second foul and went to the bench They turned it over on something like 7 of the next 8 possessions after Dunn left --never got into a groove

Oh, thanks for the insight.  Yeah, can see how that could have a huge impact on the outcome.

But still, I don't know.  That happening shouldn't have been a death sentence for last night.  Coaches all the time have to overcome a star player (and they had one other besides Dunn) in early foul trouble.  Stuff like the above happens in games all the time.  I still would have expected Providence to be talented enough to rise above it.  Dayton looked like a very weak team on Tuesday, and they were playing on their home court against another very ordinary looking Boise St. team.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »

I saw a score late last night after consuming several alcoholic beverages that I thought was a final.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Oh, thanks for the insight.  Yeah, can see how that could have a huge impact on the outcome.

But still, I don't know.  That happening shouldn't have been a death sentence for last night.  Coaches all the time have to overcome a star player (and they had one other besides Dunn) in early foul trouble.  Stuff like the above happens in games all the time.  I still would have expected Providence to be talented enough to rise above it.  Dayton looked like a very weak team on Tuesday, and they were playing on their home court against another very ordinary looking Boise St. team.  

It shouldn't have been, but it definitely affected Providence for a while.  When every close call goes against you, along with some just flat out blown calls, it can get in a team's head.   Sometimes for the entire game, sometimes for just long enough for the flow of the remainder of the game to be dictated and too much to overcome.   
It is so easy for officiating to affect a game.    A couple of block/charge fouls go the other way, a couple of hand checks that are/aren't called, a big momentum changing blocked shot that is actually a foul but isn't called because the fans are so fired up..... it all adds up.      Like I said elsewhere, it doesn't usually affect the outcome, but sometimes it does.    Providence-Dayton was one of the games where it definitely affected flow and outcome. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Pretty sure the BE does not split it's shares evenly. In the past the BE preferentially gave larger shares to the teams that earned them. As was often said "the ACC is communism, the BE is capitalism"

It's possible they changed their revenue sharing model after the reformulation of the conference, but prior to that shares were not shared evenly.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
Pretty sure the BE does not split it's shares evenly. In the past the BE preferentially gave larger shares to the teams that earned them. As was often said "the ACC is communism, the BE is capitalism"

It's possible they changed their revenue sharing model after the reformulation of the conference, but prior to that shares were not shared evenly.

I would defer to anyone with superior info, but I seem to recall creds being shared evenly between the C7 schools and the three new schools would not be eligible for equal credit shares for X amount of years.  I can't remember where I heard or read that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »
I would defer to anyone with superior info, but I seem to recall creds being shared evenly between the C7 schools and the three new schools would not be eligible for equal credit shares for X amount of years.  I can't remember where I heard or read that.

My recollection as well.