'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor transferring  (Read 18464 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Steve Taylor transferring
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
MarquetteMBB @MarquetteMBB
#mubb's Steve Taylor Jr. leaving program & will transfer. Appeared in 90 career games for MU in 3 yrs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:30:46 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor transferring?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
So that is our best returning rebounder leaving.  We absolutely must get a power forward (preferably an experienced one who can play straight away) who can rebound.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
Hate to see him go, as I've said a time or two that I thought he might be sneaky good next year, but it may be smart for him.  Another year to get healthy and then maybe have a great senior year.

I would assume he is heading to a mid-major, because two years of basketball scholarship for one year of Steve Taylor seems like a high price to pay for a high-major.

Thanks for your time at MU, Steve, and best of luck to you in the future.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
Teve to IA St?
No Finish Line

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
You think if JJJ and Cohen were going to transfer, they would have done it with the same release?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
You think if JJJ and Cohen were going to transfer, they would have done it with the same release?

Well I'm hoping the guy on a different thread yesterday who said he had some info was talking about Steve.

Because if his info is right he said JJJ was not leavingb and that it was just 1 person.

I'd really like JJJ and Sandy to stay
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
Something tells me we're not done seeing names
No Finish Line

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Teve to IA St?

HAHA - first thought for me too
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
Would not surprise if more to follow. This is the time for Wojo to build his team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Scared of playing time or what?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Would not surprise if more to follow. This is the time for Wojo to build his team.

Too bad...if this is a case we can add a lesson learned on Wojo's list.  While painful move on quickly from talent that doesn't fit or want to be on the bus.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »

I guess that's one trend of MU coaches that will never end, hiring hardheaded coaches who have to do it 'their' way.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
Only four eligible players from this years team will be back next year - Duane, Luke, JJJ (hopefully) and Sandy.

Now we really need a JUCO and grad transfer...back to three open schollies.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
Smart move by him. He could see himself getting replaced fast now that Marquette has size.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I guess that's one trend of MU coaches that will never end, hiring hardheaded coaches who have to do it 'their' way.

And you suggest letting the players run the team? I don't get why these players want to transfer but if they want to go for whatever reason (I.e. Easier coach, closer to home, easier place to see pt, scared of incoming frosh, don't like the coach, whatever it may be) let them go. Probably not the player we are looking for anyways. STj showed a lot of promise and seemed like a good kid but could never put it together consistently. Wish him the best. But you'll never see me whining about kids leaving the program. Hopefully all the others want to be at Marquette and are tough enough to stick it out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
Scared of playing time or what?

My thought also.

Henry will play the PF position, Luke at the C, with JJJ, Wally, Cheatham at the SF.  

Taylor would be backup at the C, (along with Heldt) and the PF position, splitting time there so his minutes might have seen some decrease.

Taylor missed way too many short "bunnies" this year and maybe someone on the staff told him his playing time might decrease abit with Henry and the new additions (with one more PF coming in?).

As for Cohen, unless he puts on like 20 lbs., he will be at end of bench next year.  Watching him against Nova guarding Pinkston was just sad to watch.  

Best of luck Steve
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:53:28 PM by nyg »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
I am surprised by this.  I thought he finally found his niche as a strong rebounder - he really came on in the last handful of games.  For the first time in awhile, I thought he would be an impactful player for us next year.

While it might be wise for him to sit out a year and get healthy, methinks this is a mistake on his part.  He is going from being an contributor as a senior on a good team to an unknown role at an undetermined school.  I don't see why schools would be banging down his door for a 1 - year player with (in my mind) limited potential.

Good luck to him.  But I don't get it.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
My thought also.

Henry will play the PF position, Luke at the C, with JJJ, Wally, Cheatham at the SF.  

Taylor would be backup at the C, (along with Heldt) and the PF position, splitting time there so his minutes might have seen some decrease.

Taylor missed way too many short "bunnies" this year and maybe someone on the staff told him his playing time might decrease abit with Henry and the new additions (with one more PF coming in?).

As for Cohen, unless he puts on like 20 lbs., he will be at end of bench next year.  Watching him against Nova guarding Pinkston was just sad to watch.  

Best of luck Steve

I meant it literally.  I saw Steve seeing pretty regular minutes next year (20-25 or so), which is nothing to sneeze at. Not enough, IMHO, to transfer and sit out a year to play a few more minutes a game. But I don't know his thought process...maybe he has other concerns. But from a playing time standpoint, its a head scratcher.

_____

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
I heard he's headed to CU... Carroll University

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:18 PM »
I am surprised by this.  I thought he finally found his niche as a strong rebounder - he really came on in the last handful of games.  For the first time in awhile, I thought he would be an impactful player for us next year.

While it might be wise for him to sit out a year and get healthy, methinks this is a mistake on his part.  He is going from being an contributor as a senior on a good team to an unknown role at an undetermined school.  I don't see why schools would be banging down his door for a 1 - year player with (in my mind) limited potential.

Good luck to him.  But I don't get it.

And a 1 year player that will cost two years of schollies.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Assuming Cohen and JJJ leave, you basically have to go graduate transfer instead of regular transfer, or next season could look like this one.  :-\

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
Assuming Cohen and JJJ leave, you basically have to go graduate transfer instead of regular transfer, or next season could look like this one.  :-\

And why are you assuming that?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »

Dumb assumption.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Dumb assumption.

Why? Would you have said the same thing if I told you I expected Dawson, Burton and STJ to transfer this year? Get off your high horse.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
Why? Would you have said the same thing if I told you I expected Dawson, Burton and STJ to transfer this year? Get off your high horse.

Talk about high horse you fool.

You used 3 players as comparison from hind sight.

And are now making baseless assumptions.

I'd prefer you get off your high horse and then proceed to get hit by a bus.