[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor transferring  (Read 18467 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Steve Taylor transferring
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
MarquetteMBB @MarquetteMBB
#mubb's Steve Taylor Jr. leaving program & will transfer. Appeared in 90 career games for MU in 3 yrs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:30:46 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor transferring?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
So that is our best returning rebounder leaving.  We absolutely must get a power forward (preferably an experienced one who can play straight away) who can rebound.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
Hate to see him go, as I've said a time or two that I thought he might be sneaky good next year, but it may be smart for him.  Another year to get healthy and then maybe have a great senior year.

I would assume he is heading to a mid-major, because two years of basketball scholarship for one year of Steve Taylor seems like a high price to pay for a high-major.

Thanks for your time at MU, Steve, and best of luck to you in the future.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
Teve to IA St?
No Finish Line

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
You think if JJJ and Cohen were going to transfer, they would have done it with the same release?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
You think if JJJ and Cohen were going to transfer, they would have done it with the same release?

Well I'm hoping the guy on a different thread yesterday who said he had some info was talking about Steve.

Because if his info is right he said JJJ was not leavingb and that it was just 1 person.

I'd really like JJJ and Sandy to stay
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
Something tells me we're not done seeing names
No Finish Line

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Teve to IA St?

HAHA - first thought for me too
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
Would not surprise if more to follow. This is the time for Wojo to build his team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Scared of playing time or what?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Would not surprise if more to follow. This is the time for Wojo to build his team.

Too bad...if this is a case we can add a lesson learned on Wojo's list.  While painful move on quickly from talent that doesn't fit or want to be on the bus.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »

I guess that's one trend of MU coaches that will never end, hiring hardheaded coaches who have to do it 'their' way.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
Only four eligible players from this years team will be back next year - Duane, Luke, JJJ (hopefully) and Sandy.

Now we really need a JUCO and grad transfer...back to three open schollies.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
Smart move by him. He could see himself getting replaced fast now that Marquette has size.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I guess that's one trend of MU coaches that will never end, hiring hardheaded coaches who have to do it 'their' way.

And you suggest letting the players run the team? I don't get why these players want to transfer but if they want to go for whatever reason (I.e. Easier coach, closer to home, easier place to see pt, scared of incoming frosh, don't like the coach, whatever it may be) let them go. Probably not the player we are looking for anyways. STj showed a lot of promise and seemed like a good kid but could never put it together consistently. Wish him the best. But you'll never see me whining about kids leaving the program. Hopefully all the others want to be at Marquette and are tough enough to stick it out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
Scared of playing time or what?

My thought also.

Henry will play the PF position, Luke at the C, with JJJ, Wally, Cheatham at the SF.  

Taylor would be backup at the C, (along with Heldt) and the PF position, splitting time there so his minutes might have seen some decrease.

Taylor missed way too many short "bunnies" this year and maybe someone on the staff told him his playing time might decrease abit with Henry and the new additions (with one more PF coming in?).

As for Cohen, unless he puts on like 20 lbs., he will be at end of bench next year.  Watching him against Nova guarding Pinkston was just sad to watch.  

Best of luck Steve
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:53:28 PM by nyg »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
I am surprised by this.  I thought he finally found his niche as a strong rebounder - he really came on in the last handful of games.  For the first time in awhile, I thought he would be an impactful player for us next year.

While it might be wise for him to sit out a year and get healthy, methinks this is a mistake on his part.  He is going from being an contributor as a senior on a good team to an unknown role at an undetermined school.  I don't see why schools would be banging down his door for a 1 - year player with (in my mind) limited potential.

Good luck to him.  But I don't get it.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
My thought also.

Henry will play the PF position, Luke at the C, with JJJ, Wally, Cheatham at the SF.  

Taylor would be backup at the C, (along with Heldt) and the PF position, splitting time there so his minutes might have seen some decrease.

Taylor missed way too many short "bunnies" this year and maybe someone on the staff told him his playing time might decrease abit with Henry and the new additions (with one more PF coming in?).

As for Cohen, unless he puts on like 20 lbs., he will be at end of bench next year.  Watching him against Nova guarding Pinkston was just sad to watch.  

Best of luck Steve

I meant it literally.  I saw Steve seeing pretty regular minutes next year (20-25 or so), which is nothing to sneeze at. Not enough, IMHO, to transfer and sit out a year to play a few more minutes a game. But I don't know his thought process...maybe he has other concerns. But from a playing time standpoint, its a head scratcher.

_____

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
I heard he's headed to CU... Carroll University

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:18 PM »
I am surprised by this.  I thought he finally found his niche as a strong rebounder - he really came on in the last handful of games.  For the first time in awhile, I thought he would be an impactful player for us next year.

While it might be wise for him to sit out a year and get healthy, methinks this is a mistake on his part.  He is going from being an contributor as a senior on a good team to an unknown role at an undetermined school.  I don't see why schools would be banging down his door for a 1 - year player with (in my mind) limited potential.

Good luck to him.  But I don't get it.

And a 1 year player that will cost two years of schollies.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Assuming Cohen and JJJ leave, you basically have to go graduate transfer instead of regular transfer, or next season could look like this one.  :-\

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
Assuming Cohen and JJJ leave, you basically have to go graduate transfer instead of regular transfer, or next season could look like this one.  :-\

And why are you assuming that?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »

Dumb assumption.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Dumb assumption.

Why? Would you have said the same thing if I told you I expected Dawson, Burton and STJ to transfer this year? Get off your high horse.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
Why? Would you have said the same thing if I told you I expected Dawson, Burton and STJ to transfer this year? Get off your high horse.

Talk about high horse you fool.

You used 3 players as comparison from hind sight.

And are now making baseless assumptions.

I'd prefer you get off your high horse and then proceed to get hit by a bus.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »

High horse? Hardly.

You coming in here and running your mouth about 2/4 returning players leaving, without any knowledge of such, is idiotic.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
My thought also.

Best of luck Steve

Sandy Cohen was played out of position a lot near the end of the year when Juan was hurt. He's not a PF. As an SG I don't think he has to worry as much about putting on 20 lbs.

I think he'll be on the bench but he showed some ability this year. Let's see how he develops with the 3 point shot.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
Taylor just never really developed into the player we all thought he'd be when we saw him as a freshman. Didn't seem like he could put it all together even with some nice rebounding performances down the stretch this season. He's better off transferring to a place where his level of play is more valued and we're better off using the elements of CACHE (or finding a transfer) who can produce a bit more consistently.  

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:53 PM »
High horse? Hardly.

You coming in here and running your mouth about 2/4 returning players leaving, without any knowledge of such, is idiotic.

By "running your mouth", you mean "discussing a possible scenario" right? 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
By "running your mouth", you mean "discussing a possible scenario" right? 

Then discuss is as a "possible scenario" not just assuming it is going to happen. 

In any event, it is stupid to speculate on transfers. Let the process play out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
Sandy Cohen was played out of position a lot near the end of the year when Juan was hurt. He's not a PF. As an SG I don't think he has to worry as much about putting on 20 lbs.

I think he'll be on the bench but he showed some ability this year. Let's see how he develops with the 3 point shot.

Yes, he was out of position and there are probably 20 opposing players I can name at the SF or SG position that make Sandy look like a junior in high school build wise.  He's not the only one, with JJJ, Duane and Luke also needing to put on some bulk since MU was destroyed on the offensive boards this year.  The new players coming in will help and I believe Wojo has something up his sleeve to address this situation, making this Taylor transfer occur.

Taylor had the build, but not the ability/hands near the basket.  Not assertive with going up with the ball on those short shots and I hope at his next destination, he works on that and has a nice senior year.  

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
Whatever. Let him miss layups for someone else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 04:28:43 PM »
Ryan has done an incredible job. Later today...his 17th straight tourney invite. Later this month, likely his second Final Four. All with minimal drama and roster turnover. The guy knows what he's doing. I envy their stability.

Whatever. Let him miss layups for someone else.

So in one thread you "envy" UW's stability.

But in this one, you seem not to care about stability.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
Maybe the player from Dominican. Won't divulge his name. Ha!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
Thought we really had something the past few games.  He was playing physical, grabbing rebounds.  Just what we would need from him next year, though possibly not what he wanted.  Unfortunate to lose the only current senior on the roster.

And yeah, we needed a forward before today.  I'd take two now.  Worried me when a team that kind of sucked at rebounding loses four of its top five.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:37:08 PM by chapman »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Where does he go?  He cannot go to Depaul because of BE transfer rules.

Anywhere else and he eats up two years of scholarship for one year of basketball.  Will Illinois or even Iowa State see this "2 for 1" as a deal?  Has he shown enough for you to do this?

I really like Steve but let's not confuse him with Robert Jackson.

Thoughts?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »
Don't assume this is a done deal just yet.

Juan Anderson announced to the world that he was going to transfer to another school. Then he changed his mind and stayed at Marquette.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/juan-anderson-to-transfer-from-marquette-rt9ilts-203100321.html

And back in 2009, MU announced that Maurice Acker wouldn't return for his senior season. Then he ended up returning for his senior season.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062509aab.html

I for one think Steve Taylor Jr. could be a significant part of next year's team. Wojo had nothing but good things to say about Steve's rebounding during the DePaul postgame show. I hope he stays. If not, Wojo will find a player who wants to be part of the program.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
Where does he go?  He cannot go to Depaul because of BE transfer rules.

Anywhere else and he eats up two years of scholarship for one year of basketball.  Will Illinois or even Iowa State see this "2 for 1" as a deal?  Has he shown enough for you to do this?

Thoughts?

Don't assume this is a done deal just yet.

Juan Anderson announced to the world that he was going to transfer to another school. Then he changed his mind and stayed at Marquette.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/juan-anderson-to-transfer-from-marquette-rt9ilts-203100321.html

And back in 2009, MU announced that Maurice Acker wouldn't return for his senior season. Then he ended up returning for his senior season.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062509aab.html

I for one think Steve Taylor Jr. could be a significant part of next year's team. Wojo had nothing but good things to say about Steve's rebounding during the DePaul postgame show. I have he stays. If not, Wojo will find a player who wants to be part of the program.

See my post above ... I think he is going to find the "2 for 1" deal to be problematic when looking for another school.  All rising seniors have this problem unless they are really good.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »
Where does he go?  He cannot go to Depaul because of BE transfer rules.

Anywhere else and he eats up two years of scholarship for one year of basketball.  Will Illinois or even Iowa State see this "2 for 1" as a deal?  Has he shown enough for you to do this?

Thoughts?

MAC, MVC, Horizon.
If he wants to go home (or closer to it), Loyola, Northern Illinois and UIC are options.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
During his high school days, was Steve a paint player or more of a perimeter/wing player?  I vaguely recall him as more of a wing.  Offensively at MU, he seemed most effective at the high post, and taking his shots from there.  He rarely looked comfortable, to me, with the ball close to the basket.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
He ended up being a better than average rebounder which we'll miss.  Sorry to see him go, especially as a senior. I don't get it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
MAC, MVC, Horizon.
If he wants to go home (or closer to it), Loyola, Northern Illinois and UIC are options.

I was afraid you would say that (distance wise Northern is no closer to his house than MU).  He would step that far down?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:40:43 PM by Heisenberg »

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »
Yes, he was out of position and there are probably 20 opposing players I can name at the SF or SG position that make Sandy look like a junior in high school build wise.  He's not the only one, with JJJ, Duane and Luke also needing to put on some bulk since MU was destroyed on the offensive boards this year.  The new players coming in will help and I believe Wojo has something up his sleeve to address this situation, making this Taylor transfer occur.

Taylor had the build, but not the ability/hands near the basket.  Not assertive with going up with the ball on those short shots and I hope at his next destination, he works on that and has a nice senior year.  

It's the coach's responsibility to play who performs the best, not who looks the best.

Example: Derrick Wilson is built like a tank, he is an unbelievable physical specimen. He is also a bad basketball player with a terrible jump shot and almost no ability to score. If the best players were the ones that looked the best, Derrick would have been in the discussion for player of the year!

I'm not convinced that physical strength is more important than developing things like a jump shot, free throw shot, dribbling, passing. Conditioning is important, but I'd still take a basketball player with great endurance over one with great strength.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
I was afraid you would say that (distance wise Northern is no closer to his house than MU).  He would step that far down?

DeKalb is probably 30+ miles closer to the South side than Milwaukee, and easier to get to.
I don't see a lot of big programs giving a 5.9 ppg player a two-year scholarship for one year of playing time.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
He played center in HS at Simeon,Jabari Parker played on the wing. Steve took a lot of 3s and also rebounded well. He
was the second best player in Illinois in a weak year, but most people thought he would be a solid player. Did not Develop!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
I don't see a lot of big programs giving a 5.9 ppg player a two-year scholarship for one year of playing time.

Yep, this is what seems to make it difficult to find an ideal fit for both parties.  The schools willing to give such a scholarship are likely going to be low majors, and/or have had more than their own fair share of roster turnover, possibly from coaching changes.  Maybe not a dream fit for Steve.  Would think most stable, high-mid or major conference programs wouldn't want the two-for-one deal unless they really feel they're getting a stud or the missing piece for 2016-17.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
Any chance he'll graduate early and thus take advantage of the graduate transfer rule so not have to sit out a year. He's a junior.Plenty of players have graduated in 3 years.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Any chance he'll graduate early and thus take advantage of the graduate transfer rule so not have to sit out a year. He's a junior.Plenty of players have graduated in 3 years.
Nope.  Steve is in very good academic standing, but not close enough to graduate in only 3 years.

Hilltop

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
MAC, MVC, Horizon.

Loyola is actually probably about 2 years away from a legit chance at winning the Valley and making the tournament.  So a transfer to Loyola would not be a bad move.  They are led by a sophomore from CPS, Milton Doyle, who first went to Kansas then transferred back home.  He is arguably the best player coming back next year in the Valley.  Steve's game would fit pretty well in the valley, too.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor transferring
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »
He ended up being a better than average rebounder which we'll miss.  Sorry to see him go, especially as a senior. I don't get it.

+1 - I just shake my head at this continuing revolving door in this program.  On the surface, it seemed every reason in the world to return - lone senior next year, he had every reason he'd get plenty of playing time and play an important role, has a coach now who's honest instead of making up that he wasn't playing because of injury, a likely much improved team. 

Oh well, more touches, playing time, etc. for Henry and Luke next season. 

STJ seems like a nice, humble kid, hope he finds the right place to finish his college career.  He has some upside wherever he winds up.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
Too tired and to many posts to read through all of them, so if this is duplicative, forgive me -

I just don't see any way we fill our scholarship allotment for next season with STJ's departure.  I'm so tired of almost every season MU playing with a short-handed roster.

Hopefully we can fill at least two of the openings, with a strong preference for one grad transfer.  I would think MU would be very appealing for a grad transfer now on a team with zero seniors.   Maybe a JUCO and grad transfer, that would really be nice.  Say Ty Outlaw and someone.

Stay tuned I guess.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:25:10 PM by HutchwasClutch »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
For all those that have made the comment #freeTeve, your wish has come true. 

Best of luck to Steve.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »
hard to understand from a financial standpoint.  steve will almost surely go overseas?  with his injury problems i would want to make as much $$$ as soon as i could if i were in his position.  nice kid..hope it all works out for him.

feedback