[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Recruits in HS tournaments  (Read 47792 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Recruits in HS tournaments
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
I don't know from all those stats, pro or con.

All I know is that I would rather my players be good FT shooters rather than poor FT shooters. Duh. And I especially know that I want the guys who are handling the ball late in close games to be very good FT shooters.

No maths there. Just common sense.

Now ... how 'bout those MU recruits?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
Henry went 31 pts 19 rebounds despite having 4 fouls last night.

Heldt went 16-8 in the loss to Stevens Point
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
In terms of overall stats, I understand why FTs (least valuable shot, difference between 64% and 72% seems minimal over a season) don't seem like a big deal. I understand why statistically they won't have as much impact.

But I do feel the extra 1.5 ppg is worth having a good FT shooting team over a poor one and I feel that in the last 5 minutes of a game, missing FTs and especially the front ends of 1-and-1s are often the difference between winning and losing a game.

You don't care about FTs. Fine. I like seeing that Anim makes his. It is what it is.

No, no. Again. Back to what you said: "We have to be better than 65% if we want to get back to winning ways." This is false. You can admit it and move on, or keep talking about other stuff.

Also, "missing FTs and especially the front ends of 1-and-1s are often the difference between winning and losing a game." --> No! This is false. Use some logic.

Now, the great thing about team FT% is that there are a number of free throw shooters on a team. Thus, obviously you'd want to, and are able to game plan accordingly, have guys who shoot better or have more poise and focus have the ball in their hand when the other team is trying to intentionally foul you.

"Missing free throws lost us the game" is picking out one negative out of many and pointing to it. It's simple minded thinking and wrong.

Free throws (9/19 for 47.4%) get the attention from many, but they weren’t the primary issue in Minnesota’s loss at Nebraska.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
Free throw percentage is the cherry on the sundae.  It stands out, it makes the sundae better, but it not being there doesn't stop it from being a sundae while a cherry in an empty bowl is not a sundae.

It is preferable for a sundae to have a cherry on top.

Now consider the sundae itself to be a good basketball team and the empty bowl to be a bad basketball team.  The cherry makes the first better and doesn't mean a damn thing for the latter.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »

You don't care about FTs. Fine. I like seeing that Anim makes his. It is what it is.

Brew, saying "you don't care about free throws, fine" is an unfair and untrue characterization. We all wish our guys would never miss a free throw. But for us to be successful it's much, much, much more important to get guys with better at effective FG%, rebounding rates, turnover rates, etc. (IOW, better basketball players) than it is to get guys who are better free throw shooters. Better players take you from last place to the dance. A better ft% might give us a win or two.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »
J.B, you heading to Anim's state final today?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
Are the Hauser Bros as tough as the Van Buren Boys?

Asks Kramer!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
I don't know from all those stats, pro or con.

All I know is that I would rather my players be good FT shooters rather than poor FT shooters. Duh. And I especially know that I want the guys who are handling the ball late in close games to be very good FT shooters.

No maths there. Just common sense.

Now ... how 'bout those MU recruits?

Sure. And you'd rather have a team of great ball handlers who rarely turned it over. And a team that dominates the backboards. And a team with an off the charts effective FG%. IOW, first choice is great basketball players who shoot free throws well. Second choice, great basketball players who don't. Third choice moves you to mediocrity or worse depending on how good the players are and has little to do with their FT%. I have a friend who walked on at Marquette as a freshman. He's 68 years old and can still make 90/100 free throws. When he walked on it was more like 96/100. But he was still a walk on.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
Dear Lenny, brew, et al:

No one cares about free throws for the purpose of this thread. Hijack a different one and let's get back to talking about recruits of Marquette that are currently in the state playoffs.

Signed,

Jake Barnes, Esq. (WYLD STALLIONS)
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
Dear Lenny, brew, et al:

No one cares about free throws for the purpose of this thread. Hijack a different one and let's get back to talking about recruits of Marquette that are currently in the state playoffs.

Signed,

Jake Barnes, Esq. (WYLD STALLIONS)

Sorry, was just trying to point out a positive to Anim's game ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Henry went 31 pts 19 rebounds despite having 4 fouls last night.

Heldt went 16-8 in the loss to Stevens Point

but how did he do on his free throws?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »
NOT RECRUITED BY MU BUT---TREV ANDERSON OF POINT HAD 28 AGAIN LAST NIGHT AGAINST NEENAH. 20 IN THE SECOND HALF AND THE GAME WINNER.  GOOD PLAYER WHO IS ONLY BEING RECRUITED BY MID AND LOW MAJORS. I'M SURE
WHEN AAU STARTS UP HE WILL BE NOTICED BY OTHERS. GOOD POIN T GUARD. 3-STAR IN MY BOOK.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
J.B, you heading to Anim's state final today?

They have an off day today - play tomorrow ~5pm. 8pm game between Apple Valley & Champlin Park will be of interest as well, but I'll probably watch / record on TV -- so many good college games going on at the same time.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
NOT RECRUITED BY MU BUT---TREV ANDERSON OF POINT HAD 28 AGAIN LAST NIGHT AGAINST NEENAH. 20 IN THE SECOND HALF AND THE GAME WINNER.  GOOD PLAYER WHO IS ONLY BEING RECRUITED BY MID AND LOW MAJORS. I'M SURE
WHEN AAU STARTS UP HE WILL BE NOTICED BY OTHERS. GOOD POIN T GUARD. 3-STAR IN MY BOOK.

Name is too similar to Evan Anderson, who was a Badger and who sucked.  So no thanks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »
Name is too similar to Evan Anderson, who was a Badger and who sucked.  So no thanks.

That's just Recruiting 101
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
Sacar tipping at noon today in a semifinal tilt.

Henry at 7pm in sectionals.

You there?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »
Rice Lake v. Merrill Sat at 100 pm @ Marshfield.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
Free throw shooting only matters in a competitive game and then it matters a lot.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Will see Henry play Merrill on Saturday. Live in Marshfield.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2015, 09:02:07 PM »
24/7 composite has him as a 4 star recruit and the 25th best PG in the class of 2016. Already drawing interest from Iowa St, IU, UW, Creighton, and Virginia. If we want to get him Wojo should start now if he hasn't already. Anyone have any insight on his game/skillset/ability?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
Free throw shooting only matters in a competitive game and then it matters a lot.

except when you're playing Bucky because you don't shoot any FTs until the final minute. Michigan had zero FT attempts and UW had committed a total of FOUR fouls in the first 38 minutes today.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
except when you're playing Bucky because you don't shoot any FTs until the final minute. Michigan had zero FT attempts and UW had committed a total of FOUR fouls in the first 38 minutes today.

Gotta preserve their hopes for a 1-seed somehow. Will laugh when they are in the Midwest with Kentucky. Will laugh harder when they get knocked off before they play Kentucky.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »
24/7 composite has him as a 4 star recruit and the 25th best PG in the class of 2016. Already drawing interest from Iowa St, IU, UW, Creighton, and Virginia. If we want to get him Wojo should start now if he hasn't already. Anyone have any insight on his game/skillset/ability?
Wojo sold Carter on the idea that he was the only true point guard on the roster. It might be counter productive to try and recruit another point before Carter signs.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2015, 12:45:26 AM »
Will see Henry play Merrill on Saturday. Live in Marshfield.

Hope you see a decent performance, but with the history of low scoring WVC teams, I'll bet the score doesn't add up to move than 100 points.  Rice Lake won earlier in the year 51-41 with Henry scoring 16.  I just hope Rice Lake can survive and get to Madison.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
Rice Lake wins 44-32 with Wojo in attendance. Headed to state.