[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Traci Carter to Announce His Decision Tomorrow (Tuesday - 3/10/15)  (Read 33602 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Traci Carter to Announce His Decision Tomorrow (Tuesday - 3/10/15)
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »

Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
I don't know how good Traci Carter is as a player. Some say 4*, some say 3*, but here's what I like - when we lost Noskowiak and it became clear that Duane wasn't a point it looked like we would be caught short at the position again next year. Wojo went out and got what appears to be the best one still available in the high school senior class. If he can add a top juco or graduate transfer point, I'll be even more impressed.

One cautionary thought - it's easier to win these battles with immediate PT available.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
Reading the Twitter tea leaves...he followed Cheatham and Anim very recently.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
Has anybody seen this kid play in person yet?  I remember the Juan Anderson tape and you would think the kid could shot the ball, but after 4 years the light bulb never turned on.  He is 157th player this year, know he was hurt, supposedly better plus the schools recruiting him are better, but is he good enough to step in right away?

We'll find out.  It certainly seems as if Wojo has slotted Du at the #2. I think it's fair to say that he is getting the best HS point available.  Of course not all kids pan out. But this has to be a very good sign assuming that a verbal is forthcoming.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Well to be fair wojo had Wally to help.

In state recruit, dad played at Marquette, brother was already here, AAU teammate was committed, and Wojo had begun the process inadvertently at Duke. Any time you land an All American it's impressive, but for Ellenson, Wojo had every advantage in his corner.

Two months ago, Marquette wasn't even being mentioned with Carter. If Carter picks Marquette, Wojo will have beat out local programs (La Salle, Temple), high majors that are closer to home (NC State, Memphis, Xavier), and the defending national champs (UConn). And he did it in about 6 weeks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
TWITTA TRACKA
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
I don't know how good Traci Carter is as a player. Some say 4*, some say 3*, but here's what I like - when we lost Noskowiak and it became clear that Duane wasn't a point it looked like we would be caught short at the position again next year. Wojo went out and got what appears to be the best one still available in the high school senior class.

This is an excellent point.

As to my post a few above about this being as impressive as the Ellenson get, OK, maybe that's hyperbole (but maybe not). I'm saying Wojo had more time to take a run at Ellenson and he had more in his favor, including his successful landing of Wally. Buzz leaving actually made Marquette viable for Ellenson, who probably would have been willing to take a long look at us no matter who was hired to replace Buzz.

With Carter, Wojo, like everybody else, got in on him relatively late. He went after him hard, got him to campus, and closed the deal.

Both were impressive recruiting efforts. With both, he sealed the deal by convincing the recruit to not even bother making their visits to elite basketball schools.

I'd love to see video of Wojo's recruiting pitches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
A point guard visits MU now and meets all the coaches as to be impressed with the quality of ex-players as assistants who are pretty young.  This really has to help.  Having a plane all the time so you can visit a player every week is a great tool for a coach.  How many days can a coach go out and recruit a kid now, is it 40 days off campus?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
I don't know how good Traci Carter is as a player. Some say 4*, some say 3*, but here's what I like - when we lost Noskowiak and it became clear that Duane wasn't a point it looked like we would be caught short at the position again next year. Wojo went out and got what appears to be the best one still available in the high school senior class. If he can add a top juco or graduate transfer point, I'll be even more impressed.

One cautionary thought - it's easier to win these battles with immediate PT available.

Really you can't help but be impressed with how he manages to get these kids here after he starts going after them.

The real question is "has he evaluated the talent correctly," and we will find that out in due course.  Also, let's see him build some successive classes together which is really the key to building the program.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
A tidbit of info.  Several weeks back our son was asked to contribute toward what I'll call a mens basketball recruiting video for the Athletic Dept.  As some of you know,  he interns with Marketing and Communications and helps to produce all those cool YouTube videos you see from the university.  While I've not seen his efforts for Athletics (perhaps not allowed), I'm told Wojo was totally stoked and thus jsglow jr. gets 1% credit for Anim and Carter.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
In many ways, this get is as impressive as Ellenson.

Not saying Carter will be as impactful (though he might be) and obviously he's not ranked anywhere near as high, so we didn't have to contend with Kentucky, et al.

But Carter was a late bloomer who got hot and suddenly drew major looks. Wojo went toe-to-toe with an NCAA title-winning former NBA guard at an elite basketball school and landed the kid. Pretty damn impressive IMHO.

Not even close. Henry is a program changer now, with more rewards goin' forward. McDonald AA and potential NBA employee. It's a big man's game and Ellenson provides a dimension we haven't enjoyed throughout the T-Cubed and Bumstead years. In addition, out recruitin' Kentucky trumps beatin' X.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »
Really you can't help but be impressed with how he manages to get these kids here after he starts going after them.

The real question is "has he evaluated the talent correctly," and we will find that out in due course.  Also, let's see him build some successive classes together which is really the key to building the program.

Agreed 100%. Wojo has been great at closing the deal once he makes a kid his top priority.

But it all comes down to evaluating talent. Are his four star targets like the Amigos, or more like Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, and Juan?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
I have to think all the former PGs on our staff helped.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »

If Wojo gets Carter, then I think this recruiting class will be ranked Higher than Duke's!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:19 AM »
And if you needed any more confirmation, Traci is now following most of our incoming freshman class on Twitter (and vice versa)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »
Xavier fan here. X sources also indicating Carter to Marquette. Congrats.

Thank you, if true. You guys have a great deal of class and I hope we're this classy when we inevitably lose one.

Good luck in the tournament and see you down the road.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »

If Wojo gets Carter, then I think this recruiting class will be ranked Higher than Duke's!

Ranking mean nothing, lets see how they play on the court next year.  I am sure Duke will be OK next year, we should be so lucky to be as good as Duke.  Lets first win the Big East conference which will be very hard to do, hopefully MU can be .500 next year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
You guys are never going to 'out GIF' chick.  Trust me.

I think this proves jsglow's point.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
Has anybody seen this kid play in person yet?  I remember the Juan Anderson tape and you would think the kid could shot the ball, but after 4 years the light bulb never turned on.  He is 157th player this year, know he was hurt, supposedly better plus the schools recruiting him are better, but is he good enough to step in right away?

Anderson played for Buzz, that might make a difference.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
Guys, is it official yet? And if not, where/how do I follow the announcement live?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
I think if Carter commits, it is a great get and hopefully he is the PG of the future.  

However, let's not act like he solves the PG situation Marquette has.  I doubt we'll be able to turn the entire offense over to a freshman point guard and get the most out of next year's talent.  I also think Duane should play very little PG next season.  It means we've still gotta get a veteran PG.

Have to wait until April to see what the team looks like.

Then again, at least MU now has one true point guard.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
Guys, is it official yet? And if not, where/how do I follow the announcement live?

I asked the same question, no response yet.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
Announcement at noon EDT.  So we'll hear something shortly.  No idea if there's a feed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
More impressive, in my opinion. For me this is the biggest recruiting win of Wojo's career so far. Ellenson may be more significant, but this is the recruiting battle that indicates Wojo is a great recruiter.

If he is as good at evaluating talent as he is landing players, I just pray Marquette can keep him long term. I'm sure some will say I'm overstating things, but getting a commitment from Carter feels to me like an indicator that he's the best recruiter Marquette has had since Al.

Right now Wojo and Kevin O'Neill are pretty close based on their first year's recruiting classes. Starting next year, I'm confident that Wojo will get separation from O'Neill with a series of better recruiting years.  Both coaches started at Marquette in similar situations, being assistants at big time programs and starting out their first year recruiting with Wisconsin having one of the best crops of HS talent in a decade.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback