Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Demons Thoughts  (Read 13534 times)

tower912

• All American
Blue Demons Thoughts
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
1.  Beggars can't be choosers.
2.  Won the rebounding battle.
3.  On to New York.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588483
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Blue Demons Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:44:41 PM »
Teve-o with 12 rebounds in 24 minutes. Got to play him and Luke together more minutes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
Hope the past two games are building blocks for Steve.  Take physical play and rebounds, add one more component (ideally good defense), and he can have a nice senior year.

With Steve and Luke in together, I liked JJ in as well.  Really understands how to get the ball into the post guys. 

Both twins, finally!

At least we won't be 20 game losers.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »
Steve and Luke work great together and it allows Steve to focus more on his game(except for the taking 3s part).

He's also way more efficient because his baskets are basically wide open after luke draws the defender or off his offensive rebound.

JJJ worked great with them too. His passing when he gets an opening is fantastic.

Hope these 3 are big pieces next year. Steve could potentially surprise playing alongside Luke and Henry all year.

Duane....consistency is only thing holding him back from All American potential in a few years
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
Steve and Luke work great together and it allows Steve to focus more on his game(except for the taking 3s part).

He's also way more efficient because his baskets are basically wide open after luke draws the defender or off his offensive rebound.

JJJ worked great with them too. His passing when he gets an opening is fantastic.

Hope these 3 are big pieces next year. Steve could potentially surprise playing alongside Luke and Henry all year.

Duane....consistency is only thing holding him back from All American potential in a few years

Agree, especially on the Steve parts.  Many of his minutes this season were at the 5 with Juan at the 4, but he is sooooo much more effective at the 4 with Luke in the middle.

Might get even better if he gets to play at the 3 next season alongside Luke and Henry.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »
Agree, especially on the Steve parts.  Many of his minutes this season were at the 5 with Juan at the 4, but he is sooooo much more effective at the 4 with Luke in the middle.

Might get even better if he gets to play at the 3 next season alongside Luke and Henry.

Henry at the 3 (he can play that right?), Steve at 4, Luke at 5 could be nasssttyyy.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »

Yeah I was thinking about suggesting hkm at the 3 as well. That's some great size. Since Henry is a stretch 4 I don't see why that wouldn't work. Wojo will have to cement it in steves head to not go behind the 3pt line though lol.

Or as zebra said..Henry could probably just technically be the 3 as well.

Next year is going to be so much better. Idk about how much success but at least we are going to have legitimate lineup options.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »
I doubt we'll see a ton of Henry, Steve, and Hank all on the court at once next year. That leaves Heldt as the only guy with any size on the bench, and I'm not sure he'll be ready to contribute a whole lot next year. You can't risk a lot of fouls to those 3 while they're all on the court. My guess is Steve comes off the bench mainly to ensure we always have 2 bigs available even if one gets in foul trouble.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Norm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »
When is the last time MU had at least 3 guys 6'9" or taller? Or 4 guys 6'7" or taller?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »
At least STJ is giving everyone reason for optimism going into next year, because three- four weeks ago, I don't think anyone on this board felt that way.  I sure didn't.  Really happy to see him contribute like he has.  I do wish he would keep his offensive game from 17 feet on in.   It seems he takes 1 or 2 threes every game, and since the Creighton road loss has been coming up empty.  His ideal range just isn't out to 20 feet.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »
Boy, Duane has had some really nice games this year, and other ones in which he's just been awful like today.  It seemed like he sat quite awhile to finish the game today.  

There was one play in the second half today that he turned it over against the press where all he needed to do was put the ball on the floor and dribble it straight up court, it was completely open in front of him.  Not sure where his head was today.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
Like many here, I'm not a huge fan of Derrick's as a player at least, but so happy for him that he came back quickly from the injury and then sunk 4/4 FT's to end the game today. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
When is the last time MU had at least 3 guys 6'9" or taller? Or 4 guys 6'7" or taller?

05-06, when we had five guys listed at 6'9" and taller:

Kinsella 7'0"
Barro 6'10"
Grimm 6'10"
Novak 6'10"
Fitzgerald 6'9"

We also had Burke and Amoroso at 6'8" and Lott at 6'7".  That's eight guys at least 6'7"!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
At least Duane has three more years.    He still has a lot of work to do but has some talent.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »
If JJJ had better handles I would love to see him have a chance to run the point. Probably the best distributor on our team and can drive to the basket. Thoughts?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
His length would give him an advantage but I don't know if he's quick enough to get the corner on pg's consistently. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:58 PM »
I've been a harsh critic of JJJ, but that kid is really, really good in the open court, finishes well, makes good decisions, goes strong.  That aspect of the game, he's fun to watch, plus he just kind of glides toward the rim.  

If he could just shoot it better from outside of 10-15 feet.  That part of his game has to improve.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
If JJJ had better handles I would love to see him have a chance to run the point. Probably the best distributor on our team and can drive to the basket. Thoughts?

But if he can't shoot, which he hasn't shown he can do yet, teams will just sag way off of him and take away his drive.  Thus making him an ineffective PG.  His outside shot has to get better. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »
Another thing about JJJ that's troubling, the good games he's had this year have all been at home.  Check out his home/road splits, especially shooting (not that he's setting the world on fire at the Bradley Center either), but he's been a total non-factor in every road game, and road shooting percentage is in the 20% range.  His one road performance that doesn't look terrible on paper was against 'Nova, and that was well after that game got out of control.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
05-06, when we had five guys listed at 6'9" and taller:

Kinsella 7'0"
Barro 6'10"
Grimm 6'10"
Novak 6'10"
Fitzgerald 6'9"

We also had Burke and Amoroso at 6'8" and Lott at 6'7".  That's eight guys at least 6'7"!

And not a single one a solid post player. The Tanned Tommy Tradition

Death on call

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »
Another thing about JJJ that's troubling, the good games he's had this year have all been at home.  Check out his home/road splits, especially shooting (not that he's setting the world on fire at the Bradley Center either), but he's been a total non-factor in every road game, and road shooting percentage is in the 20% range.  His one road performance that doesn't look terrible on paper was against 'Nova, and that was well after that game got out of control.

He was key at SHu as well. Not great % I don't believe but he was big.

But yeah you're rifht. He hasn't been a road warrior yet. But really aside from Matt and maybe a little streaky Duane...who has lol

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Another problem with him as PG - I don't think he's nearly strong enough to withstand the pounding of going into the paint - he gets knocked off balance fairly easily a lot when he puts it on the floor and there's contact.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
He was key at SHu as well. Not great % I don't believe but he was big.

But yeah you're rifht. He hasn't been a road warrior yet. But really aside from Matt and maybe a little streaky Duane...who has lol

Now that you mention it, he did have a nice game against Seton Hall, and we probably don't win that one without his performance.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »

Yep, like some of his reads but just don't know if handles would ever be a part of his game or if he'd be comfortable with the ball always in his hands.  But I'll take a two guard that can feed the bigs.

Another problem with him as PG - I don't think he's nearly strong enough to withstand the pounding of going into the paint - he gets knocked off balance fairly easily a lot when he puts it on the floor and there's contact.

It's a problem for him at any position.  Has got to pump the iron and chug the Muscle Milk over the next eight months.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »
At least Duane has three more years.    He still has a lot of work to do but has some talent.

In general, I don't believe Duane has shown the kind of decision-making instincts that top point guards have. He charges way too much, dribbles into traffic way too much, and looks for himself instead of others way too much.

He might yet grow into that role, at least on a part-time basis, but we have seen over the course of the season why Wojo regards him as more of a 2-guard.

Still very high on Duane and think he can be a heck of an impact player, especially if he gets a little more consistent with his outside shot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson