Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sterling Gibbs drops the elbow  (Read 15733 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Sterling Gibbs drops the elbow
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
The guy should never play another game in college basketball.

A teammate of mine threw a punch at me in practice, because I knocked him on his butt setting a pick (clean pick).  Coach chewed out the guy on his team for not calling out the pick, and chewed him out, because as he said it.  "If you are going to throw a punch, make sure it lands".

Should my teammate have been banned from college basketball too?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »

As for the play, with how physical the big east is they should expect tempers to get the best of guys occasionally.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:31:35 AM by Stone Cold »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »
Reminds me of Burno & Cordell Henry at the BC

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Imagine if that were reversed...and it was a white guy doing that to a black guy. How fast would it take the good Revs Al and Jesse to organize a march???
not sure...as fast as rush popping a pain pill?  as fast as paul ryan referencing the "bell curve?"  faster than chicos making a "hoodie" joke after a young man's death?  as fast as some idiot on scoop trying to play a reverse racism card over a basketball play?  as fast as a racist claims there's no difference between not being politically correct and being racist?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:02:25 AM by avid1010 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Everybody has that moment.    Gibbs messed up.   Bad.   He owned it and he apologized.   Archi accepted it.  It is over between them, they handled it like mature people.    Yes,  Gibbs should be punished by the league.    Last college game?    A little excessive.    Two games.  

Here is an example of how to not handle it.    One of the years I coached my daughters team, we had a game where my team just didn't show up and we got rolled.    Early in the fourth quarter, the best player on my team committed a flagrant foul.   I removed her from the game, let my assistant run it for a moment and chewed her out very quietly.   It was nothing compared to what her mother said to her after the game.  
3 weeks later, we get a rematch against this team in a tournament.   Just before the game, I am pulled aside by one of the dads for my team who tells me that the coach of the other team, whom the entire league considered to be a consummate a$$hole, was telling his team to "remember what #24 did last game and get even for it."     To his players' everlasting credit, they played a clean game.    Even better, my team showed up and we went into the half tied.    I took my team into the locker room and started to praise their play.   Suddenly, there was a door slam.    The other locker room was on the other side of a cinder block wall.    Their jerk of a coach started off on a profanity laced scream fest.   I put my finger to my lips and smiled at my team, staring back at me with wide eyes.    "Look what you guys did to him."    And we all got the giggles.  
To sum up....Gibbs was wrong.    But he owned it and apologized to his family, team and opponent.    That is the sign of a man.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
not sure...as fast as rush popping a pain pill?  as fast as paul ryan referencing the "bell curve?"  faster than chicos making a "hoodie" joke after a young man's death?  as fast as some idiot on scoop trying to play a reverse racism card over a basketball play?  as fast as a racist claims there's no difference between not being politically correct and being racist?

I don't know why you guys just don't block him. Has Groin_Pull ever had good insight, insider information or an opinion you actually cared about?

Blocking people is the only thing that makes this board tolerable.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
I give up.  How long would it take, know it all?
easy answer: Follow the money!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »
A teammate of mine threw a punch at me in practice, because I knocked him on his butt setting a pick (clean pick).  Coach chewed out the guy on his team for not calling out the pick, and chewed him out, because as he said it.  "If you are going to throw a punch, make sure it lands".

Everybody has that moment.    Gibbs messed up.   Bad.   He owned it and he apologized.   Archi accepted it.  It is over between them, they handled it like mature people.    Yes,  Gibbs should be punished by the league.    Last college game?    A little excessive.    Two games.  

Here is an example of how to not handle it.    One of the years I coached my daughters team, we had a game where my team just didn't show up and we got rolled.    Early in the fourth quarter, the best player on my team committed a flagrant foul.   I removed her from the game, let my assistant run it for a moment and chewed her out very quietly.   It was nothing compared to what her mother said to her after the game.  
3 weeks later, we get a rematch against this team in a tournament.   Just before the game, I am pulled aside by one of the dads for my team who tells me that the coach of the other team, whom the entire league considered to be a consummate a$$hole, was telling his team to "remember what #24 did last game and get even for it."     To his players' everlasting credit, they played a clean game.    Even better, my team showed up and we went into the half tied.    I took my team into the locker room and started to praise their play.   Suddenly, there was a door slam.    The other locker room was on the other side of a cinder block wall.    Their jerk of a coach started off on a profanity laced scream fest.   I put my finger to my lips and smiled at my team, staring back at me with wide eyes.    "Look what you guys did to him."    And we all got the giggles.  
To sum up....Gibbs was wrong.    But he owned it and apologized to his family, team and opponent.    That is the sign of a man.  

Didn't see what your teammate did to you but I did see what Gibbs did to Archi.  That's as dirty as dirty gets.  Archi is on the floor with his hands on the ball tied up with another Seton Hall player.  On the floor, completely defenseless, and Gibbs winds up and elbows Archi in the head why?  Because he was on a team that was beating his.  There is absolutely, positively nothing that is "the sign of a man" in that case.  That's a little 5 year old boy temper tantrum who isn't getting his way so he has to physically do something in retaliation.  Being a man, which Gibbs should be at 20+ years old, would be getting fired up in a huddle and coming out and taking over a game.  People here are right, we've all been there, we've all let our emotions get the best of us.  Letting our emotions get the best of us is not throw a cheep shot elbow to somebody's head.  Maybe you push somebody, maybe you get in somebody's face, whatever.  But wind up and elbow a kid in the head who is completely defenseless and on the ground?  If that happens at a public park and a cop happens to be watching, Gibbs is getting charged with battery.

I love the "apology."  I always love when people say "That's not me."  Well, uhh, apparently it is, because you just did it.  You can't deny it.  There is no place for that in NCAA basketball.  Complete joke.  I don't care if he apologized and his apology was accepted, actions have consequences.  Unacceptable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
If nothing else, both guys are handling this pretty well after the fact.

Sterling Gibbs @SterlingGibbs4  ·  1h 1 hour ago
Man that's not who I am. I'm sorry to my family, friends, fans, and team for being an embarrassment. Even more sorry to @RyArch15 .. I let

My emotions get the best of me and that wasn't acceptable at all. I hope you're alright and I will face any consequences coming.

Sorry again @RyArch15 it really is weighing heavy on my heart.

Ryan Arcidiacono @RyArch15  ·  42m 42 minutes ago
Emotions sometimes get the best of us. heat of the moment thing. We're all good. @SterlingGibbs4

Couple of real men there.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
Shades of Nutter.

Tower, don't leave us hanging, what happened in the 2nd half?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »

Wow. You need to stop taking pretty boy pills. You've had too many already.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 09:15:27 AM »

I love the "apology."  I always love when people say "That's not me."  Well, uhh, apparently it is, because you just did it.  You can't deny it.  There is no place for that in NCAA basketball.  Complete joke.  I don't care if he apologized and his apology was accepted, actions have consequences.  Unacceptable.

Your right. "That's not me" isn't accurate. Somewhere, in what one hopes is Gibbs's absolute worse self, that's who is is/was. He's made amends, but he needs to accept that that very dark place WAS him and that carries a cost and requires change. He's already accepted (almost asked for) any consequences, an admirable first step. I wish him luck with real change going forward.

Snapshots of our worst moments are never pretty. We try to live the best lives we can so as to not be defined by those moments. I wish Sterling Gibbs the best, hope he learns to be a better man from this. Work to be done, but he's started in the right direction.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »

No.  But, maybe your coach should have joined Mike Rice of Rutgers in the unemployment line.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Your right. "That's not me" isn't accurate. Somewhere, in what one hopes is Gibbs's absolute worse self, that's who is is/was. He's made amends, but he needs to accept that that very dark place WAS him and that carries a cost and requires change. He's already accepted (almost asked for) any consequences, an admirable first step. I wish him luck with real change going forward.

Snapshots of our worst moments are never pretty. We try to live the best lives we can so as to not be defined by those moments. I wish Sterling Gibbs the best, hope he learns to be a better man from this. Work to be done, but he's started in the right direction.

I agree with this, and I don't mean that Gibbs is the only one to do that.  You hear that all the time.  "That's not me."  The problem is that those people saying that did exactly what they are saying isn't them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
Shades of Nutter.

Tower, don't leave us hanging, what happened in the 2nd half?

Tie game, minute to go in the 3rd, my two point guards each pick up their 4th foul on back to back possessions, we lose by 8.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
Gibbs is one of the nicer, more self aware college kids playing the game today. Great family. Ashton never an issue at Pitt and younger brother Temple is the best of the three (who'll be playing at the highest of majors in two years). Anyone -- this includes players, coaches, media, etc. -- associated with the game was shocked to see Gibbs be the one to do that.

That said, as I've written on this board for the last two years and reiterated in January, the Hall is a dumpster fire and it starts at the top. Willard is a clown far above his pay grade and he's done everything he can to do it the wrong way. He created a combustible situation these last 15 months that has resulted in a punk Frosh (Whitehead) "taking over" his program while purposely pulling back on his best player (Gibbs) that has caused his starting PG (Sina) to abandon the team in mid-February. No one expects Whitehead to remain beyond these last five games for Hall but Gibbs is feeling on an island with Willard doing nothing to save his best buddy Sina and giving in to the Whitehead/Carrington/Delgado crew.

Gibbs already handled the aftermath better then 98% would. He'll take his two game suspension for a dick move and, as it already is, it will be a total outlier to the behavior he has exhibited in every situation up to this point. The focus should now be on Willard to see if he recognizes his dumpster fire has flared to the point where his best player and good kid Gibbs snaps and throws an elbow.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
Is Kristi Black and the Las Vegas peeps to blame for this?

Okay, I get that you're feeling butt hurt over Kristi Black getting criticized for demanding that the Las Vegas Peeps receive the title that is rightfully theirs.  I just don't get why you brought that into this thread.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »

Sterling Gibbs done f'd up.   His worst moment was despicable and he deserves punishment.    But acknowledging his massive fail, apologizing to all involved, and accepting his punishment rapidly, without having it run through the campus PR arm,  is as good a first step to moving on as he can make.   

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Imagine if that were reversed...and it was a white guy doing that to a black guy. How fast would it take the good Revs Al and Jesse to organize a march???

I would like to think that if the situation were reversed (white guy elbowing black guy), people would have realized that it was a heat-of-the-moment strike, having nothing to do with race and thus nobody would have made a big deal about it, except for maybe a few fringe bloggers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
Gibbs is one of the nicer, more self aware college kids playing the game today. Great family. Ashton never an issue at Pitt and younger brother Temple is the best of the three (who'll be playing at the highest of majors in two years). Anyone -- this includes players, coaches, media, etc. -- associated with the game was shocked to see Gibbs be the one to do that.

That said, as I've written on this board for the last two years and reiterated in January, the Hall is a dumpster fire and it starts at the top. Willard is a clown far above his pay grade and he's done everything he can to do it the wrong way. He created a combustible situation these last 15 months that has resulted in a punk Frosh (Whitehead) "taking over" his program while purposely pulling back on his best player (Gibbs) that has caused his starting PG (Sina) to abandon the team in mid-February. No one expects Whitehead to remain beyond these last five games for Hall but Gibbs is feeling on an island with Willard doing nothing to save his best buddy Sina and giving in to the Whitehead/Carrington/Delgado crew.

Gibbs already handled the aftermath better then 98% would. He'll take his two game suspension for a dick move and, as it already is, it will be a total outlier to the behavior he has exhibited in every situation up to this point. The focus should now be on Willard to see if he recognizes his dumpster fire has flared to the point where his best player and good kid Gibbs snaps and throws an elbow.

You did make the correct early call on the Hall.   Kudos. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »

Great post that puts this incident into focus.  I'm thinking that we both would bet against Willard getting a sudden epiphany.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Wow. You need to stop taking pretty boy pills. You've had too many already.
i'm as pretty as a girl...but i bet you hate that man that said that as well.  which one are you?  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »
I could understand a heat of the moment failure considering the frustration SH players might be feeling at this point in time

I've wanted to elbow Arcidiacano once or twice myself

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »

Pretty sure this wouldn't even come to their attention. Now if they didn't call it a foul and then called one against a black student for doing the same thing, maybe, MAYBE, they might say something.

Why you thought this comment was necessary is beyond me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
Okay, I get that you're feeling butt hurt over Kristi Black getting criticized for demanding that the Las Vegas Peeps receive the title that is rightfully theirs.  I just don't get why you brought that into this thread.

He's just mad that my last few posts were ripping McAdams and the MU community that supported him and calling the Mountain Ridge team cake eaters.