[Today at 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor as a senior  (Read 8115 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Steve Taylor as a senior
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Taylor may have a very productive senior season now that he's not relegated to playing out of position?

He has a decent midrange jumper that can extend to the 3 point line.  He's our best returning rebounder.  At 6'7" he's a tough matchup as a stretch 3/4 who I think plays much better facing the basket (although he has some good post moves).

I could really see him as a consistent 12/6 type of guy next year.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Steve Taylor as a senior
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
I hope he can operate at 100% health. Todd Smith, do your stuff.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

doc K

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
At times, Steve has shown flashes of being the player we saw two years ago. It seems that he wasn't able to jump or move like he had in the past. Perhaps an offseason of rest/treatment will allow him to really bring it next year. Instead of ripping the guy, why don't we put the energy into encouraging him so he can achieve his full potential and carry a bigger load next season.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »

I'd love that, but I think he will be closer to 8/4 than 12/6

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:18 AM »
He is going to have to get quicker and better at defending in space to defend the 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
I do not see it, he has no hops and at times I wonder if he has any basketball IQ.  He would be a nice 7th or 8th man on some teams.  I can be wrong but by this time in his career who would hope to get more out of him that what you are getting.   Seems to nice a kid, does not have that killer instinct like a Jameel McKay has.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
I think he's shown a ton of improvement these past few games. If he continues on this route I'd be extremely pleased. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
Luke and Henry should get about 55 minutes per game between them next year.  Between Steve and Heldt we need the other 25 minutes.

Now we just have to figure out the 1-3 positions.  Duane should get right around 30 minutes per game.  Beyond that, who knows.  Haniif, JJJ, Sandy, and Wally should all be able to contribute, and between those 4 average out about 20 mpg (JJJ probably gets the most minutes out of those 4).

That would leave 10 mpg elsewhere.

Obviously some games there will be foul trouble, etc. that throw these minutes off.

Sign a PG who can contribute immediately and that probably takes 10-15 mpg away from that group of 4, to go along with those 10 mpg left over.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »
Luke and Henry should get about 55 minutes per game between them next year.  Between Steve and Heldt we need the other 25 minutes.

Now we just have to figure out the 1-3 positions.  Duane should get right around 30 minutes per game.  Beyond that, who knows.  Haniif, JJJ, Sandy, and Wally should all be able to contribute, and between those 4 average out about 20 mpg (JJJ probably gets the most minutes out of those 4).

That would leave 10 mpg elsewhere.

Obviously some games there will be foul trouble, etc. that throw these minutes off.

Sign a PG who can contribute immediately and that probably takes 10-15 mpg away from that group of 4, to go along with those 10 mpg left over.

If all but 10 mpg are already accounted for with known returnees and recruits I'd be disappointed. We desperately need a PG and a rebounder.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
If all but 10 mpg are already accounted for with known returnees and recruits I'd be disappointed. We desperately need a PG and a rebounder.

I agree. I should've said as it stands. I guess those are just the players who we know will be here who I expect to contribute at least solid (15+) minutes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
The fact that he didn't go into a shell after a horrible mid-season stretch says a lot. Will never have elite athleticism, but could fill the role that Juan Anderson does on this year's team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »
My guess is that Steve spends his summer working on his #4 skills rather than being the only guy who could go up against Luke in practice and preparing to play the #5.  We all have to remember what he was initially asked to do this year. 

I think he'll have a nice season next year and I expect that he'll start even if we do get a contributing PF.  In less than one month, this will be HIS team to captain.  We'd all do well to remember that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
My guess is that Steve spends his summer working on his #4 skills rather than being the only guy who could go up against Luke in practice and preparing to play the #5.  We all have to remember what he was initially asked to do this year. 

I think he'll have a nice season next year and I expect that he'll start even if we do get a contributing PF.  In less than one month, this will be HIS team to captain.  We'd all do well to remember that.

I'm hoping Henry will contribute next season?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
I'm hoping Henry will contribute next season?

I sure Henry starts too. I'm of the belief that we return to a 2 guard starting lineup but will play 3 guard with some frequency.  A lot depends on the additions from here.  Perhaps I should have said that I expect Steve to be in the Lockett/Juan position.  And let me add that starting doesn't necessarily mean max minutes.  Wojo needs Steve's quiet leadership.  As the only 4 year player, he will have his name announced during intros.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:52:36 AM by jsglow »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Taylor may have a very productive senior season now that he's not relegated to playing out of position?

He has a decent midrange jumper that can extend to the 3 point line.  He's our best returning rebounder.  At 6'7" he's a tough matchup as a stretch 3/4 who I think plays much better facing the basket (although he has some good post moves).

Ok, so Fischer is averaging 10.1 ppg, 4.8 reb, shooting 59%, 17 assists and has 36 blocks

Taylor is averaging 5.7 ppg, 4.1 reb, shooting 48%, 13 assists and has 3 blocks.

Yet according to you, Taylor is our best rebounder and should have a 12/6 type year next year; while Fischer is arguably the worst center in the big east and will be nothing more than a middle of the pack player. Interesting how your standards are so different for a Junior in his 3rd year vs  a freshmen transfer.

I hope Taylor improves to a 12/6- 3 or 4 type player as well, it means we will be a better team next year, but I see him as a backup 4 to Ellenson and, depending on Heldt, a backup 5 to Fischer.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
Ok, so Fischer is averaging 10.1 ppg, 4.8 reb, shooting 59%, 17 assists and has 36 blocks

Taylor is averaging 5.7 ppg, 4.1 reb, shooting 48%, 13 assists and has 3 blocks.

Yet according to you, Taylor is our best rebounder and should have a 12/6 type year next year; while Fischer is arguably the worst center in the big east and will be nothing more than a middle of the pack player. Interesting how your standards are so different for a Junior in his 3rd year vs  a freshmen transfer.

I hope Taylor improves to a 12/6- 3 or 4 type player as well, it means we will be a better team next year, but I see him as a backup 4 to Ellenson and, depending on Heldt, a backup 5 to Fischer.

I hope Steve is able to avoid any minutes as a backup 5.  12-15 minutes at the 'Lockett', 8-10 backing up Henry.  Heldt needs to be able to go 5-10.  We might also see Henry slide to the 5 for a change of pace.  Seemingly agree with you that  both Luke and Henry ought to see about 28-30.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
I hope Steve is able to avoid any minutes as a backup 5.  12-15 minutes at the 'Lockett', 8-10 backing up Henry.  Heldt needs to be able to go 5-10.  We might also see Henry slide to the 5 for a change of pace.  Seemingly agree with you that  both Luke and Henry ought to see about 28-30.

I am maybe not so optimistic about Heldt as you are. Freshman bigs take a while sometimes, he may be riding the bench. 5-10 would be my high end for Heldt.  I wouldn't be surprised to see less than that. I agree with Henry getting time at the 5 sometimes. Should be fun to see how the team develops.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
I think Steve is pretty much what you see is what you get at this point.  He'll be the first big off the bench.  I think he'll avg 20 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg.  Pretty much what his numbers are this year.  There will be a handful of games in the 8-14 point range and some 0-2 point games.  Just too inconsistent.

Can't see HE playing much 3.  Don't think he can defend a SF or WG.  HE-Taylor-Fischer frontline would have to run zone D.  But that lineup really clogs the inside since Taylor and Fischer are best 15 ft and in.  And HE isn't a Novak type spot up sniper.  More of a solid shooter with versatility.  Inside-out skill like Hayward and Crowder but a better post game.  High-low sets with Luke, pick and roll as both the screener or ball handler, pick and pop, post game, transition...HE needs to use all facets of his game to maximize production.  The HE-Taylor-Fischer lineup would bump him out of the post, take away spacing for driving and hurt his transition game.  Need Henry to be the 4th shooter and ball handler for our best lineup, not third.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
If we get Taylor swift senior year, MU will be in a better place.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »

Steve leads the team in rebounds per 40 minutes, rebounds per 100 possessions, defensive rebound percentage, offensive rebound pecentage and total rebound pecentage.  The numbers get even more favorable if you compare only conference play.

In conference play JuJuan Johnson is rebounding at a higher rate than Luke Fischer.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
I don't really care if Steve increases his scoring. I just want to see him be a terror on the boards. A floor general and a high motor rebounder are the the two biggest missing pieces for next season IMHO
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
I sure Henry starts too. I'm of the belief that we return to a 2 guard starting lineup but will play 3 guard with some frequency.  A lot depends on the additions from here.  Perhaps I should have said that I expect Steve to be in the Lockett/Juan position.  And let me add that starting doesn't necessarily mean max minutes.  Wojo needs Steve's quiet leadership.  As the only 4 year player, he will have his name announced during intros.

Steve should not start just because he's a senior. He shouldn't be given minutes for that reason either. I hope he does contribute but he needs to earn it. If Luke, Henry, Wally, and a JUCO addition or grad transfer are better options they should both start and play ahead of Steve.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »

Any problems in the past, as long as Steve can shake it off.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »

Is that the modern day equivalent of when rumors were all over the place my freshman year that Britney Spears was gonna go to MU?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
We'll see how it all breaks down when we have all the players on campus but I expect the following right now for the start of next season (conference season will likely be different)

20 minutes at the 4 for Teve and he starts
20 minutes at the 4 for Henry
30 minutes at the 5 for Luke and he starts
5 minutes at the 5 for Henry
5 minutes at the 5 for Heldt
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."