'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Lacrosse  (Read 145081 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Marquette Lacrosse
« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
Will get final numbers on Tuesday. I know Georgetown at Marquette had 50k on FS1 earlier this season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #426 on: May 14, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
Will get final numbers on Tuesday. I know Georgetown at Marquette had 50k on FS1 earlier this season.
Please post when you get them. It would be interesting to know.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #427 on: May 14, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »
Actually I agree with him. Lacrosse is a ridiculously elitist sport.

I think the East Coast snots are starting to realize that the lacrosse dynamic is starting to change. In a few years(hopefully) teams like UNC(cheaters) and Dook will dread coming to Milwaukee to play the Warriors.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #428 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
Actually I agree with him. Lacrosse is a ridiculously elitist sport.

They must've loved it out East when Denver won last year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Please post when you get them. It would be interesting to know.
Will do!
Marquette at Denver on FS2, last Saturday got 20k.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #430 on: May 14, 2016, 10:29:28 PM »
Did anybody actually make it to the game in person. I'd love to know what the atmosphere was like.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #431 on: May 14, 2016, 10:37:29 PM »
The atmosphere was great, and it was a close exciting game to the very end with everyone on their feet for the final possession.  The student section behind the goal was really rowdy.  I was surprised at the number of UNC fans.  Also lots of area HS/youth players that weren't necessarily cheering for MU, just wanted to watch a high level game.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #432 on: May 15, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
Studio team talked about us as if we were a scrappy 13 seed in the basketball tournament, rather than the seeded home team. They talked about us playing well, but definitely in a condescending way.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #433 on: May 15, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
I watched the game yesterday. Highly entertaining sport. I think I could get into it. I thought MU put in a great effort and losing 10-9 in an NCAA tournament game is nothing to hang your head about. Spectacular season. I think I will follow closely next year.

I interpreted the commentary differently than most. I think the announcers were just stating facts...our program is basically 5 years old, with 3 seasons of actual Big East play (the first two seasons we red shirted our entire team one year and then were an independent the 2nd year). This was a highly improbably run by a team that has literally zero history or tradition. I didn't interpret it as disrespect, just an accurate account of where our program is. We were a bubble team before the Denver game that ended up getting the national 6 seed. You have to earn respect, and this year probably went a long way for doing that for MU LAX. But I wasn't insulted by any of this.

FWIW, I am watching the Denver-Towson game and the announcers keep talking about how MU was able to shut down Denver. Plenty of respect there. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #434 on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
I watched the game yesterday. Highly entertaining sport. I think I could get into it. I thought MU put in a great effort and losing 10-9 in an NCAA tournament game is nothing to hang your head about. Spectacular season. I think I will follow closely next year.

I interpreted the commentary differently than most. I think the announcers were just stating facts...our program is basically 5 years old, with 3 seasons of actual Big East play (the first two seasons we red shirted our entire team one year and then were an independent the 2nd year). This was a highly improbably run by a team that has literally zero history or tradition. I didn't interpret it as disrespect, just an accurate account of where our program is. We were a bubble team before the Denver game that ended up getting the national 6 seed. You have to earn respect, and this year probably went a long way for doing that for MU LAX. But I wasn't insulted by any of this.

FWIW, I am watching the Denver-Towson game and the announcers keep talking about how MU was able to shut down Denver. Plenty of respect there.

+10

End of the day, we got a higher seed than anyone in Lacrosse thought we would get.  For a team that was very much a bubble team to leap that high to a 6 seed was pretty crazy.  I thought the broadcasters were fair, especially in the in-game guys.  The one was a UNC grad, and he basically said throughout the match what MU needed to do to win because of UNC's defensive problems.   

The one studio host that thought we were over seeded, I didn't think he was off base.  He wasn't bashing the program. 

The fact that Denver lost today, that might actually show a thing or two as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #435 on: May 15, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »

Don't you understand that unless announcers are fawning all over Marquette, they are showing disrespect?  And that it's because ESPN hates the Big East?  But if they are too superficial in their fawning, it means they're condescending? 

Get with the program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #436 on: May 15, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »

Don't you understand that unless announcers are fawning all over Marquette, they are showing disrespect?  And that it's because ESPN hates the Big East?  But if they are too superficial in their fawning, it means they're condescending? 

Get with the program.
We only get the easy ground balls.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #437 on: May 15, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »
The fact that Denver lost today, that might actually show a thing or two as well.

Nope. #crapshoot.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #438 on: May 15, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
Nope. #crapshoot.

Agree...anything that is one game and anything that can happen in that one game.   We agree completely.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #440 on: May 15, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
Agree...anything that is one game and anything that can happen in that one game.   We agree completely.

But crapshoots don't "show a thing or two". There just..."crapshoots". So you're contradicting yourself. Again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »
I enjoyed this line from a few years ago

"Now, just like any other college sport, expect maybe football which has been dominated by the SEC, lacrosse's NCAA Tournament has become a crapshoot. If a team can make the tournament it has a chance to win the whole shebang, the perfect example was Loyola (MD) last year."

Five years ago, 7 seed wins it all vs a non seed. 

Three years ago, 7 seed wins it all

Two years ago, 2, 3, 4 went out in the first round.

Last year, 4 beat 6 for the title

This year, 2, 4, 6 all out in the first round.

Fun stuff.  Anything can happen in a one game scenario.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #442 on: May 16, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
the thing that struck me about the sport is that you can have a grudge match where it is a one goal game almost the whole game but then out of nowhere a team can string in 3 or 4 goals in a row to break it wide open in a matter of minutes. The pace can change very fast and it seems like it is somewhat unpredictable as to how many goals there will be.

Would make gambling on this sport really tough.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #443 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
the thing that struck me about the sport is that you can have a grudge match where it is a one goal game almost the whole game but then out of nowhere a team can string in 3 or 4 goals in a row to break it wide open in a matter of minutes. The pace can change very fast and it seems like it is somewhat unpredictable as to how many goals there will be.

Would make gambling on this sport really tough.

Mostly about winning the faceoffs.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #444 on: May 16, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
Mostly about winning the faceoffs.

Yeah, that's what I thought on Saturday.  For a long while we were losing too many.  Given the reasonably high probability of scoring when one achieves the offensive box, this seems to be the key.  It's important in hockey but not THAT important.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #445 on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought on Saturday.  For a long while we were losing too many.  Given the reasonably high probability of scoring when one achieves the offensive box, this seems to be the key.  It's important in hockey but not THAT important.

What's amazing is the Denver won 20 of 22 faceoffs yesterday, but lost the game.  The reason, they had 14 turnovers which wiped out most of their faceoff wins.   You are exactly right though, normally if you win the faceoffs you control the clock and the opportunities to score which should lead to a win more often than not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #446 on: May 16, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
I enjoyed this line from a few years ago

"Now, just like any other college sport, expect maybe football which has been dominated by the SEC, lacrosse's NCAA Tournament has become a crapshoot. If a team can make the tournament it has a chance to win the whole shebang, the perfect example was Loyola (MD) last year."

Five years ago, 7 seed wins it all vs a non seed. 

Three years ago, 7 seed wins it all

Two years ago, 2, 3, 4 went out in the first round.

Last year, 4 beat 6 for the title

This year, 2, 4, 6 all out in the first round.

Fun stuff.  Anything can happen in a one game scenario.

Wow. Clearly a MUCH bigger crapshoot than the NCAA basketball tournament. Maybe even a bigger one than the best of 7 Stanley Cup playoffs where 2016 was typical - 2 #1s (Florida and the not so mighty Ducks) ousted in round 1 and the other 2 #1s (Washington and Dallas) knocked off in round 2.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #447 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
How do we look for next year?

They said we had 19 seniors or something ridiculous like that (which makes sense, considering our first season as a program was 4 years ago)....are we losing EVERYONE? Will it be a completely different team next year, or do we return some key guys? Would be cool if they actually had some sustained success. I'm sure this year will help Amplo with recruiting but it will probably be a couple years until those recruits come to fruition. Hoping they don't have a down year.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #448 on: May 16, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
Plenty of guys left (more than 30), and a new freshman class coming in.  They had so many seniors because everybody who came in for 2011-2012 school year redshirted - all of the freshmen from that class would be fifth year seniors this season.  Hope their stunning success this year helps bring in some stellar new recruits, and Joe can keep building tradition for Lacrosse at Marquette.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #449 on: May 16, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
Although it is accurate that there are plenty of guys left the graduating players are going to be very difficult to replace.

Liam Byrnes and BJ Grill are our two best defensemen. Liam, in particular will be a huge gap to fill. 

One of our best midfielders, Kyle Whitlow, will also be leaving. Although he was hurt for the majority of this year his presence will be greatly missed. Same is true with Conor Gately who was one of our best attackmen.

Good news is our top scorer (Ryan McNamara) and goalie (Cole Blazer) along with Andy Demichiei will be back.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for another run like this year but we should certainly be decent and hopefully continue to build upon what Coach Amplo has been able to do.

feedback