[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wally  (Read 18970 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Wally
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
He competed in Eugene twice last year, NCAAs and the USATF championship (the non-Olympic year equivalent to the Olympic trials).

If Chicos were from Eugene he would have known that to continue to add to his ruse.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorOregon

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
He competed in Eugene twice last year, NCAAs and the USATF championship (the non-Olympic year equivalent to the Olympic trials).

Unfortunately not this year.  Would have been nice to see him in Eugene.

US Trials here next month.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:40:20 PM by warriorOregon »

junglecat022

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »
Thank you

Woeful (Awful) has rarely been right on anything.  In fact, Awful saying Wally is leaving is a reason to think he is staying.

Additionally, unless Wally has real hate for the track team, he is taking up a  full schollie, they are only allowed 12.6 total (that can give unlimited partial rides totaling 12.6 full rides).  If Wally is leaving, he can rescind his schollie and that frees up his money for late signers, or allow the team, to spread his money to other more financially strapped team-mates.

So if Wally is indeed leaving, he should give back his schollie so others can benefit from it and not be selfish.

The athletic department is covering the cost of Wally's tuition should he decide to stay, because the track team is fully committed with scholarships and Wally was technically a track walk on. I also know that he wants to continue playing basketball next year and is indeed trying to play in Europe.  I get the sense he doesn't really care for high jumping all that much compared to basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
The athletic department can't just "cover his cost" unless he isnt planning to compete. That would be a scholarship.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »
The athletic department can't just "cover his cost" unless he isnt planning to compete. That would be a scholarship.

Thank you again.  Jungle is flat wrong.

Wally is on a track scohollie and taking up 1 spot.  Period.

Their are no ways around the rules like jungle suggests.  Otherwise, everyone would do this and the NCAA would effectively have no schollie limits in any sport.

If they are fully committed, they will cut everyone a little to make room for him.  It's a brutal world.

The 12th guy on a D1 team that did not make the tourney and was cut because his team thought he was a bad basketball player is not getting paid to play ball in Europe.  That is fantasy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:43:04 PM by Heisenberg »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »

Their are no ways around the rules like jungle suggests.  Otherwise, everyone would do this and the NCAA would effectively have no schollie limits in any sport.

If they are fully committed, they will cut everyone a little to make room for him.  It's a brutal world.

The 12th guy on a D1 team that did not make the tourney and was cut because his team thought he was a bad basketball player is not getting paid to play ball in Europe.  That is fantasy.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

This is correct, South America though...

junglecat022

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 12:41:35 AM »

This is straight from the horses mouth.  I don't know the specifics, but I do know that it is impossible for the track team to afford a 100% full ride, theres 40+ athletes on the men's team and not even 12 scholarships because it's not a fully funded program.  The money would not be coming from track. Could be from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund and Special Assistance Fund.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:01:07 AM by junglecat022 »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2016, 12:51:12 AM »
There is a slight way around the rules, but I highly doubt Wally would qualify for it and the money wouldn't be coming from the athletic department.

If Wally was able to graduate, he could then enroll in graduate school and chose a department that provides stipends and tuition waivers in place of TA'ing (e.g. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Math, PhD programs).

Since those stipends/waivers are provided to all accepted grad students, he would be eligible for it.

Of course that would mean he has to be majoring in one of those areas, be ready to graduate and be competitive grade/resume wise to get into those competitive programs.

Extremely unlikely, but would technically be a way around the rules.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
This is straight from the horses mouth.  I don't know the specifics, but I do know that it is impossible for the track team to afford a 100% full ride, theres 40+ athletes on the men's team and not even 12 scholarships because it's not a fully funded program.  The money would not be coming from track. Could be from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund and Special Assistance Fund.

NCAA rules allow for 12.6 men's track schollies spread among an unlimited amount of athletes (FYI, women's teams are allowed up to 18).  If the track program was not fully funded (note you said it was in your previous post), sure they can dig up money to offer them him a Track schollie.  As long as the total money offer to track athletes does not exceed 12.6 schollies it is allowable under the rules.

The NCAA does not care where the money comes from, just how many schollies you offer.

There is a slight way around the rules, but I highly doubt Wally would qualify for it and the money wouldn't be coming from the athletic department.

If Wally was able to graduate, he could then enroll in graduate school and chose a department that provides stipends and tuition waivers in place of TA'ing (e.g. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Math, PhD programs).

Since those stipends/waivers are provided to all accepted grad students, he would be eligible for it.

Of course that would mean he has to be majoring in one of those areas, be ready to graduate and be competitive grade/resume wise to get into those competitive programs.

Extremely unlikely, but would technically be a way around the rules.

If Wally graduated, he could grad transfer to play basketball and be immediately eligible.  He could also grad transfer to another track program and immediately be eligible.

My guess is if he graduated, he would leave given his displeasure with being cut. Since that has not been announced (yet?), assume he has not graduated.

Also, this is not a way around the rules, if you compete in a sport, and take money from the school, that is a scholarship and it counts toward your sports limit. 

Again the NCAA does not care what internal justification you use to give the money, just that the total amount of money given to competing athletes does not exceed its scholarship limit for that sport.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:29:53 AM by Heisenberg »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
If Wally graduated, he could grad transfer to play basketball and be immediately eligible.  He could also grad transfer to another track program and immediately be eligible.

My guess is if he graduated, he would leave given his displeasure with being cut. Since that has not been announced (yet?), assume he has not graduated.

Also, this is not a way around the rules, if you compete in a sport, and take money from the school, that is a scholarship and it counts toward your sports limit. 

Again the NCAA does not care what internal justification you use to give the money, just that the total amount of money given to competing athletes does not exceed its scholarship limit for that sport.

Wally has not graduated and cannot graduate until at least December so we can lay that to rest. Not directing this at you just easiest to quote you.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
if Jungle is correct above and Wally's money is coming from  ...

the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund and Special Assistance Fund

That means that fund has $50k less for other (more needy?) students. 

To be clear, I have no problem with giving that money to Wally.  I do have a problem if Wally has no intention of competing in indoor or is actively looking to leave thus making MU deny $50k to other (more needy?) while Wally consider his options.  In other words, he is holding this money "hostage" as part of a gambit about what he intends to do next.

Great sacrifices have been made for Wally to compete in indoor next season.  I hope he appreciates and will act accordingly (meaning he is grateful and puts out a sincere effort and not pout about not being a basketball player).

I have no idea if he is pouting or seeking other alternatives, just offering a general comment.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »

To be clear, I have no problem with giving that money to Wally.  I do have a problem if Wally has no intention of competing in indoor or is actively looking to leave thus making MU deny $50k to other (more needy?) while Wally consider his options.  In other words, he is holding this money "hostage" as part of a gambit about what he intends to do next.

Great sacrifices have been made for Wally to compete in indoor next season.  I hope he appreciates and will act accordingly (meaning he is grateful and puts out a sincere effort and not pout about not being a basketball player).

I have no idea if he is pouting or seeking other alternatives, just offering a general comment.
Earlier in this thread there was mention of a pulled hamstring. First I heard of that. I wonder if he is going to do any more track meets this summer.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »

If he doesn't continue his collegiate track career at MU it will be over....which makes me very unsympathetic to the Ellensons since clearly the track career wasn't that critical to Wally's choices.....everything was about getting him on a basketball team so he could build his career there.

If I had any doubt about the validity of cutting him, if Wally doesn't compete on the indoor track team, all doubts will be eliminated.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Maybe Wally should listen to this speech ... as most millennials!!

When god makes you extraordinarily talent at something, use it and see where it leads you!  Don't be a selfish and myopic and only do what you love to do (ie, passion) because you might suck at it.

Mike Rowe Tells Grads Not To Follow Their Passion
06/09/2016 02:59 pm ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-rowe-gives-grad-advice_us_57597c03e4b0e39a28acb092

TV personality Mike Rowe has some pretty unconventional advice for recent grads: “Don’t follow your passion.”

The “Dirty Jobs” host offered what he called the “dirty truth” in a video commencement speech that urges young people to find their success by breaking the mold.

“When people follow their passion, they miss out on all kinds of opportunities they didn’t even know existed,” he cautions in a thought-provoking video for website PragerU.

Hosting the Discovery Channel show has led Rowe to meet hundreds of skilled tradesmen “who followed opportunity, not passion, and prospered as a result,” he said.

For instance, Rowe told the story of a multimillionaire septic tank cleaner who explained his success by saying, “I looked around to see where everyone else was headed, and then I went the opposite way.”

Rowe — who was an opera singer before making his TV debut — also illustrated his point with examples from his own life.

While growing up, Rowe wanted to follow in his grandfather’s footsteps and become a handyman. He invested himself in classes and workshops, but found that his talents lay elsewhere.

“Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it,” he noted.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »
Maybe Wally should listen to this speech ... as most millennials!!

When god makes you extraordinarily talent at something, use it and see where it leads you!  Don't be a selfish and myopic and only do what you love to do (ie, passion) because you might suck at it.

Mike Rowe Tells Grads Not To Follow Their Passion
06/09/2016 02:59 pm ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-rowe-gives-grad-advice_us_57597c03e4b0e39a28acb092

TV personality Mike Rowe has some pretty unconventional advice for recent grads: “Don’t follow your passion.”

The “Dirty Jobs” host offered what he called the “dirty truth” in a video commencement speech that urges young people to find their success by breaking the mold.

“When people follow their passion, they miss out on all kinds of opportunities they didn’t even know existed,” he cautions in a thought-provoking video for website PragerU.

Hosting the Discovery Channel show has led Rowe to meet hundreds of skilled tradesmen “who followed opportunity, not passion, and prospered as a result,” he said.

For instance, Rowe told the story of a multimillionaire septic tank cleaner who explained his success by saying, “I looked around to see where everyone else was headed, and then I went the opposite way.”

Rowe — who was an opera singer before making his TV debut — also illustrated his point with examples from his own life.

While growing up, Rowe wanted to follow in his grandfather’s footsteps and become a handyman. He invested himself in classes and workshops, but found that his talents lay elsewhere.

“Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it,” he noted.

One of the best books I ever read was "The Element" by Sir Ken Robinson. His argument was not to follow your passion or your talent, but to do the thing that you have the highest combination of passion and talent for. If you follow passion without talent you'll be broke, if you follow talent without passion, you'll be miserable. Gotta find where the two intersect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »
One of the best books I ever read was "The Element" by Sir Ken Robinson. His argument was not to follow your passion or your talent, but to do the thing that you have the highest combination of passion and talent for. If you follow passion without talent you'll be broke, if you follow talent without passion, you'll be miserable. Gotta find where the two intersect.

WINNER
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust