[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Lacrosse  (Read 145166 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marquette Lacrosse
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2016, 10:25:53 PM »
Where is he going?
Nowhere but I am sure he will be gone when the next ACC  or Big Ten job opens up.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
Lacrosse is unwatchable and will never be a revenue generating sport.  Pretty much in the same league as water polo.  Great sports, but will always be niche.  The college sport of the future will be rugby 7s.  Translates wonderfully to big stadiums and TV, is an international sport, and as of this summer is an Olympic event. Plus elite Lacrosse players are notorious butt heads.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
Lacrosse is unwatchable and will never be a revenue generating sport.  Pretty much in the same league as water polo.  Great sports, but will always be niche.  The college sport of the future will be rugby 7s.  Translates wonderfully to big stadiums and TV, is an international sport, and as of this summer is an Olympic event. Plus elite Lacrosse players are notorious butt heads.

Having played Lax for roughly 10yrs, I agree with you 100%. I disagree about Rugby, too much drinking culture around it and too much of a lawsuit nightmare to ever be taken seriously by the NCAA and without them it's not going to get played in the massive stadiums. Hockey on the other hand is growing in popularity all across the country. I'd say that is the college sport of the future. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »
Rugby is a (and has always been) a big youth sport in the bay area.  There is an incredible sportsmanship culture at that level.  7s eliminates many of the injury issues that are tied to big contested scrums in 15s and to be honest is more fun to watch.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  College hockey has been fantastic for a while. I never watch the NHL, but will always watch the frozen 4.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
Rugby is a (and has always been) a big youth sport in the bay area.  There is an incredible sportsmanship culture at that level.  7s eliminates many of the injury issues that are tied to big contested scrums in 15s and to be honest is more fun to watch.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  College hockey has been fantastic for a while. I never watch the NHL, but will always watch the frozen 4.

You still have the drinking culture tied behind it. It's not going to get traction from the ncaa. Plus lets be honest here Rugby players aren't much better than the elite lax bros you were hating on. At least three had the stupidity to challenge me to a boxing match at my parties back at MU and one more outside of Murphys. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
We'll see. MU rugby was never a real sport, only an excuse to drink.  Not that I can "hate" on that since I spent many formative hours in the 'Lanche.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »

Yes it is a niche sport but it is played at the D1 level at 70 mens schools and 111 womans schools, 65 D 2 for men and 129 D2 for women and 227  D3 schools for men and 273 D3 schools for women.  So there is a pretty big embedded base. Then figure in that team sizes are in the mid 40s and only 12 scholarships, the gross revenue to the school is pretty good.

Here is a good article from about a year ago that mentions Marquette Lacrosse and the growth of the sport.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/sports/as-lacrosse-rises-its-final-four-falls-fast.html?_r=0

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
You still have the drinking culture tied behind it. It's not going to get traction from the ncaa. Plus lets be honest here Rugby players aren't much better than the elite lax bros you were hating on. At least three had the stupidity to challenge me to a boxing match at my parties back at MU and one more outside of Murphys.

Maybe that's the case at MU. But if you watch competitive collegiate or professional rugby the respect they have for the other team and referees is tremendous. If a Rugby player even talks back in the slightest to a referee they are pretty much ejected immediately.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:10 PM »
Maybe that's the case at MU. But if you watch competitive collegiate or professional rugby the respect they have for the other team and referees is tremendous. If a Rugby player even talks back in the slightest to a referee they are pretty much ejected immediately.

Collegiate rugby... three of my ex girl friends played at MU, Loyola and Depaul and my best female friend played at MU and plays post college (none of them were big butch girls, I'll prove it dammit) but in my considerable experience of going to their post game "socials" I've learned that it's a drinking culture. Nothing wrong with it but it's something that the NCAA won't condone. 

Now back to the men's side, how does that compare to other sports being discussed? I've never seen a lax player start complaining about a call, same in hockey.  I was only referring to his comment that Lax bros were Dbags with my own personal experience that Rugby guys are not much better and frankly more violent (but should learn their place when it comes to violence)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:37 PM »
Bags - when we're u at MU?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Bags - when we're u at MU?

2009-2014
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:40 AM »
Collegiate rugby... three of my ex girl friends played at MU, Loyola and Depaul and my best female friend played at MU and plays post college (none of them were big butch girls, I'll prove it dammit)

Please do!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
MU vs #1 ND tonight!

Go Warriors

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »
MU vs #1 ND tonight!

Go Warriors

Isn't Yale ranked #1 in LAX right now? 
Plenty of local stories on them and they've been destroying teams.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2016, 10:03:19 AM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Nope

ND #1
Yale #2

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-men/d1

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_men/DI/nike_lacrosse_magazine_top_20/index

Yale was.  They're still undefeated.  Must be the case of ND being more impressive to the voters lately or something.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »

Maybe it is just me but I think lax is fun to watch, even on TV. I think the culture changes as it becomes more mainstream. Hopefully a good game this afternoon, tough stretch of schedule coming up at ND, PU at home then at Duke and at Denver. I would love MU to make the NCAA lax tourney. 7's is fun to watch too.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
This evening's game vs. Notre Dame is on ESPN3.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »
Maybe it is just me but I think lax is fun to watch, even on TV. I think the culture changes as it becomes more mainstream. Hopefully a good game this afternoon, tough stretch of schedule coming up at ND, PU at home then at Duke and at Denver. I would love MU to make the NCAA lax tourney. 7's is fun to watch too.

I agree.  Had a blast at the MU GTown lax game during the Sweet Sixteen in DC a few years back, and have watched a couple times since.  Still, it'll be a long time (if ever) before it gets mainstream IMHO.  Shame.

source?

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:13 AM »
Please do!

Google Oxford women's rugby. You're welcome.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
Now back to the men's side, how does that compare to other sports being discussed? I've never seen a lax player start complaining about a call, same in hockey.  I was only referring to his comment that Lax bros were Dbags with my own personal experience that Rugby guys are not much better and frankly more violent (but should learn their place when it comes to violence)

I can't speak for LaCrosse, but hockey has always been a zero-tolerance sport when it comes to disagreement with call. 

Most of this has to do with the reason you see those little C's (Captain) and A's (Alternate captain) on some players' jerseys... these are the only guys on the ice who are designated to speak with the referee about a call, and for the most part, the captains take this role very seriously, i.e. they don't lose their temper or make a big scene.  Moreover, it's just generally understood that this communication is typically one-way, i.e. the referee tells the captain what happened and the captain tells the coach... rarely is there ever any argument by the captain mostly because the vast majority of the time, the captain didn't even see the infraction.

So hockey is set up to control the d-baggery on the ice; nevertheless, the second someone steps out of line or attempts to say anything to the officials, the referee slaps his hands to his hips (signaling a misconduct penalty, a motion identical to an offside signal in football) and that player sits for 10 minutes.

Also - and again, not sure about LAX or Rugby here - but in my experience, the guys on the hockey team who hit the hardest on the ice and sit in the penalty box the most are typically the most meek players on the team off the ice.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
Giddy Up!

Thank you Steve Cottingham for another great hiring.

C-ham was a winner, no doubt.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »
Chris Grimm would have been a helluva Lacrosse player.   Setting moving picks and passing it up high to him.   

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2016, 03:16:49 PM »
ND up 2-1. About halfway through the 1st quarter. Goalie is keeping us in the game.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
ND 4-1. Two goals in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Could get out of hand very quickly. I hate to admit it but ND is on a different level than us.

feedback