Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter  (Read 148671 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
I have heard that the coaches very much prefer Duane at the 2.  He is developing into an excellent scorer (although he needs to figure out how to finish those bunnies at the rim - his amount of those misses is so maddening) and if you move him to the point, you take away your best scoring guard and move Duane to a position he's not nearly as effective playing.  All of that being said, the staff is making it a great point to find a couple of PGs.  I foolishly posted it way back in the Sacar Anim thread, but Wojo has gone to see Traci play in Philly a couple of times (most recently, last week when we didn't have a game and Wojo had that "Out recruiting. We Are Marquette" tweet that opened up the Twitter can of worms discussions here).

From what I was told, Traci Carter has been made just as great a priority as Sacar Anim was.  It just hasn't gotten nearly as much publicity.  And the staff is confident in their chances, especially after today's announcement that we're currently one of the first schools he said he would visit.  His stock is certainly rising this spring, and he would likely be a Top 100 rated player had he not gotten injured last year.  I'm not sure who else will get visits but we will be tough to beat because of our staff and his ability to heavily contribute from day 1.

IMO, a perfect spring would include (in addition to Anim):
-Carter
-O'Field or Ty Outlaw
-JUCO or Grad Transfer PG - who knows who this could end up being

Wojo is making moves - excited to see how it unfolds.

Great info.  I agree that Duane is best at the 2.  He can do some PG things in transition and handle the ball enough to be the 2nd or 3rd PG.  But when the PG brings the ball across half court to start the offense I prefer Duane being the one catching the pass on the wing instead of making it.  He's poised to be our primary or secondary scorer next year and moving him off the wing leaves a question of who replaces that wing scoring.

Carter and a grad transfer would be great, then get another PG in 2016.  If MU goes JUCO, Dequon Miller is the PG I'd want.  O'Field or Outlaw for the combo forward role that Juan Anderson plays would be nice.  Then BPA to replace Steve Taylor, hopefully a 3/4 or 4/5 type.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
For some of you guys more in the know....

No doubt Wojo has a Plan B if he can't land Carter.  Anyone want to toss out any names, opinions?  I'm suspecting that he'd look to the Juco ranks because counting on an immediately eligible transfer is risky at best as previously discussed.

Dequon Miller is definitely one they will be looking at if Carter doesn't work
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
Dequon Miller is definitely one they will be looking at if Carter doesn't work

From Motlow St. College.  Has a long list of suitors.

Also have seen Outlaw's teammate Shawn Smith at Lee College, who transferred there from A&M.  I am not sure he is a high major player though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
Thanks guys.  I just read up on Dequon. UT would be his most obvious choice but my instinct tells me he'd love to be given an opportunity to suit up for the Warriors and will likely wait this out awhile.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
I read a thread on the Tennessee board about Dequon Miller, and got the impression that if he was really going there, he would have already committed.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
I read a thread on the Tennessee board about Dequon Miller, and got the impression that if he was really going there, he would have already committed.

I think you're right.  The tea leaves seem to suggest UT is his safety school choice and that he'd jump at an opportunity to play for Wojo.  Funny how this all works. While this is 100% pure speculation, we wait on Carter, and UT waits on Dequon quite possibly because he's Plan B at MU and knows it.  Then hypothetically you throw in a UT deadline where the offer is good only for 2 more weeks, etc.  Gotta be hard on these kids.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
I think you're right.  The tea leaves seem to suggest UT is his safety school choice and that he'd jump at an opportunity to play for Wojo.  Funny how this all works. While this is 100% pure speculation, we wait on Carter, and UT waits on Dequon quite possibly because he's Plan B at MU and knows it.  Then hypothetically you throw in a UT deadline where the offer is good only for 2 more weeks, etc.  Gotta be hard on these kids.

That sure is some speculation.  They could take both since they would be in different classes BTW.  Not sure really how much interest Miller has in MU.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
I guess I read it the other way, that Tennessee ultimately didn't offer him.  But that was coming from the Vols point of view, so who knows.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »

That sure is some speculation.  They could take both since they would be in different classes BTW.  Not sure really how much interest Miller has in MU.

Not to be one of 'those' guys but every time he gets mentioned with #mubb he retweets, as recently as the last day or two.  I looked at his list Sultan.  If that's the extent of it, I feel pretty strongly that he'd hop on a bus tonight if Wojo asked him to.  Lighthouse might be right.  Perhaps UT cooled.  Anyway, I hope it all works out for these kids.  Damn tough business.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »
Not to be one of 'those' guys but every time he gets mentioned with #mubb he retweets, as recently as the last day or two.  I looked at his list Sultan.  If that's the extent of it, I feel pretty strongly that he'd hop on a bus tonight if Wojo asked him to.  Lighthouse might be right.  Perhaps UT cooled.  Anyway, I hope it all works out for these kids.  Damn tough business.

Seems like a really hungry kid that seems very interested in Marquette. Like you said about his RT's... he even retweeted something I was discussing with Brew about prospective Marquette players that didn't even have an "at" mention to him...merely his name.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

From Motlow St. College.  Has a long list of suitors.

Also have seen Outlaw's teammate Shawn Smith at Lee College, who transferred there from A&M.  I am not sure he is a high major player though.

Shawn is a good kid...but his grades were a mess. TAMU is a little more rigorous than MU but I think he would struggle here. On the court he showed good potential. He average around 6 ppg as a freshman if I remember correctly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
Shawn is a good kid...but his grades were a mess. TAMU is a little more rigorous than MU but I think he would struggle here. On the court he showed good potential. He average around 6 ppg as a freshman if I remember correctly.

Had heard that about his academics, though my main worry is on court. I realize he's on a good team, but Smith is probably the third guy I'd want off that Lee College team. I think when you're looking at any JUCO for this level, you need to be looking at guys that are the best players on their team. That just doesn't seem to describe Smith. Hoping the staff looks elsewhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
Can he shoot it?  The only legitimate perimeter shooting threat at PG since Diener has been Acker, and he really wasn't a true PG IMO.  Diener and prior we had lots of good shooting PG's - Henry, my man Hutch.  Can't win big at this level without one.

Hutch, a point guard?  Only by the standard of he's only 5'10", so he must be the point guard.  The truth is Hutch was a very good two guard in a point guard's body.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
I hear ya esoteric, but if you surrond him with enough solid scorers and shooters, it doesn't have to be a negative.  Tony Miller was only a fair shooter, but he was at least a threat that opposing teams had to respect. 

Plus, if he can at least knock down FT's at a 70% clip or better, that's even more critical.

That said, I was hoping to hear other adjectives to describe his shooting.  Oh well.   Still sounds like a very solid player overall, brings more to the table than Derrick offensively (not saying much I know).

I don't recall Tony Miller getting much respect for his shot from opposing defenses.  They were all hoping he'd shoot instead of getting the ball inside which he was very good at.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
I don't recall Tony Miller getting much respect for his shot from opposing defenses.  They were all hoping he'd shoot instead of getting the ball inside which he was very good at.
There is absolutely no comparison between Tony Miller and Derrick. None. De Nada. Would take Tony over Derrick anytime.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
Maybe PhillyCoach can chime in, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
That is funny according to my contacts in Austin.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:43:52 PM by Ellenson for an mu-rara »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »
That is funny according to my contacts in Austin.

Austin is way easier than TAMU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
http://delgrecowilson.com/2015/02/18/a-tough-philly-guard-the-recruitment-of-traci-carter/

Sounds like a great kid and a very good player. Some here will see red flags (kicked out of a high school, 2 knee surgeries). I say go get him, Wojo.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Wojo visiting Carter today.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »
Would like Dequon Miller or Traci Carter. Carter is a Philadelphia player in one story and New Jersey on the other. But plays
against good competition. Don't know much about Miller's competition. Sounds like either one is a solid PG. O'Field in a heart beat.

feedback