* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do  (Read 23816 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Let's not do what I know half of you want to do
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
Let's not make 14000 posts about how Carlino drags the team down and they would have played better without him all year. It's not true. Let's stop this nonsense here and now.  Thanks.

macman320

• Starter
Re: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
But there were much less turnovers on drives today

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
Matt is not the problem. Starting three PGs is the problem.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »

+1000

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »
Let's not make 14000 posts about how Carlino drags the team down and they would have played better without him all year. It's not true. Let's stop this nonsense here and now.  Thanks.

Not one person that I can see said the team would have played better without him ALL YEAR....not one.

Not sure what nonsense you are talking about.   Legitimate question is whether we had become too reliant, too stagnant with him in the lineup?  Today was the first time to test that theory.  Interesting results.  I'd like Carlino to be playing, he is a talented player, but that doesn't mean at times we stand and watch....because the guys do.  The spacing isn't very great.  There are tradeoffs with lineups.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Kind of a pointless debate anyway. Add or take away any regular player and the game plan and team have to adjust. MU adjusted very well to having no effective outside shooter today. Good for them.

Also, despite not being able to score in the last few minutes again they hung on and won. All I can say is it is about time a little luck came their way.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Not one person that I can see said the team would have played better without him ALL YEAR....not one.

Not sure what nonsense you are talking about.   Legitimate question is whether we had become too reliant, too stagnant with him in the lineup?  Today was the first time to test that theory.  Interesting results.  I'd like Carlino to be playing, he is a talented player, but that doesn't mean at times we stand and watch....because the guys do.  The spacing isn't very great.  There are tradeoffs with lineups.

What were the interesting results?

The fact that we scored our 4th lowest point total of the season and beat a very average team only because they couldn't make a shot?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
What were the interesting results?

The fact that we scored our 4th lowest point total of the season and beat a very average team only because they couldn't make a shot?
I'd say that beating a former top 25 team on the road qualifies as an interesting  result.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
I'd say that beating a former top 25 team on the road qualifies as an interesting  result.

Did you think that Seton Hall played well? They shot 30% from the field and Steve Taylor had the game of his life. I don't see how Matt sitting out has anything to do with how bad Seton Hall was on both ends of the floor.

It's an interesting debate but regardless of how you feel about it, we were amazingly one-dimensional without Matt. Seton Hall allowed that to work for us today but I couldn't imagine us continuing to be as competitive in games with that formula.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »

In what way were the results "interesting?"  It was our 4th lowest scoring game of the season.  So, interesting in showing that our offense is less productive with Carlino in?  Didn't seem like that was the point of the thread you made, but maybe I just misread...

We have now played Seton Hall twice.  Once with Carlino in which our offense scored 70 points, once without him in which our offense scored 57 points.  Interesting, I agree.

The difference was Seton Hall's offense looked like what Marquette's usual offense looked like...a lot of missed 5 footers and in.  Thankfully time ran out before we gave up another big lead.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »

I respectfully disagree. The team has a much better chemistry without him. Yes he is doing well from a very narrow perspective of himself. The objective of the game is for the team to win.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »
I respectfully disagree. The team has a much better chemistry without him. Yes he is doing well from a very narrow perspective of himself. The objective of the game is for the team to win.

They scored 57 points. A quarter of them were because Jim Burr was reffing. how in the world did they have more chemistry?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
MU had its third-worst offensive outing of the year. Only the games against Becky and Nova were worse.

Fischer and Taylor were the only ones with statistically strong offensive games.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
I'm a carlino fan, have defended him all year. However, I don't think its coincidence that MU played man-to-man without him today. He's as much a liability on defense as Wilson is on offense.

I'm excited for next year though, Wilson-Fischer-Cohen-Taylor-JJJ is a solid foundation. Add a top 5 class, Wally and a Juco and they'll compete for a tourney spot.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
They scored 57 points. A quarter of them were because Jim Burr was reffing. how in the world did they have more chemistry?

They had more team chemistry because Wojo and Carlino are the two people that TW doesn't like and so if something can possibly fit into his narrow and incorrect viewpoints, he is going to post it.  Carlino was not why they lost to Seton Hall at home and him not playing is not why they won today.  Pretty much everyone can see that.  TW can't, even if presented with logic and fact about us scoring far less points this time and Seton Hall missing a lot of 5 footers. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »
In what way were the results "interesting?"  It was our 4th lowest scoring game of the season.  So, interesting in showing that our offense is less productive with Carlino in?  Didn't seem like that was the point of the thread you made, but maybe I just misread...

We have now played Seton Hall twice.  Once with Carlino in which our offense scored 70 points, once without him in which our offense scored 57 points.  Interesting, I agree.

The difference was Seton Hall's offense looked like what Marquette's usual offense looked like...a lot of missed 5 footers and in.  Thankfully time ran out before we gave up another big lead.

First conference road win of the season

First true road win in 345+ days

First win without Carlino this season

First win in a long time where Steve Taylor played a solid game

First game where we have held a solid team to that level of shooting defensively  (I don't consider Carlino a great defender)

I found these and other data points.....interesting.....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »

I'd say more that our three best players are all point guards is the problem.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »
I'd say more that our three best players are all point guards is the problem.

Awesome troll post Brew!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »

First game where we have held a solid team to that level of shooting defensively  (I don't consider Carlino a great defender)

Chicos - You are trying to rationally explain your position to an irrational individual in Wadesworld.  Though he has an incredible past history of success playing volleyball - he is never wrong in any of his basketball related takes.  Good luck.

There is no doubt the team is better defensively with Carlino not playing.  However, due to us being so challenged offensively with our PG - I feel you need Carlino out there.  Quite frankly, Wojo just needs to finally bench Derrick and run with Carlino or Duane at PG.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

First game where we have held a solid team to that level of shooting defensively  (I don't consider Carlino a great defender)

So you bring up the first road win in almost an entire calendar year after insinuating that Carlino being on the bench as a reason we won this game, despite Carlino not having been on our team for half of those road losses?  I find that an...interesting...argument, to say the least.  And you bring up Steve Taylor's first solid performance, wouldn't that counter your argument that Carlino being on the bench is what allowed us to win?  Interesting.

The only valid point you bring up to the argument that you started is the defensive side of the ball, where Carlino is definitely a weakness.  But I'm guessing if you ask Herb Sendek, whose team just took down Arizona today, if Marquette is a better team without Matt Carlino on the court, he'd get as big of a laugh out of it as I did when you insinuated that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe on the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
So you bring up the first road win in almost an entire calendar year after insinuating that Carlino being on the bench as a reason we won this game, despite Carlino not having been on our team for half of those road losses?  I find that an...interesting...argument, to say the least.  And you bring up Steve Taylor's first solid performance, wouldn't that counter your argument that Carlino being on the bench is what allowed us to win?  Interesting.

The only valid point you bring up to the argument that you started is the defensive side of the ball, where Carlino is definitely a weakness.  But I'm guessing if you ask Herb Sendek, whose team just took down Arizona today, if Marquette is a better team without Matt Carlino on the court, he'd get as big of a laugh out of it as I did when you insinuated that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe on the court.

It seems clear to me that you ignored that I like Carlino as a player, but found today's results interesting.  Nowhere did I say he should be benched, nowhere did I insinuate anything of the kind....but then again, you are the type to bring in another coach at another school that has nothing to do with this so maybe you are seeing things.  I'd get that checked out.

Personally, I'd like to see Carlino play LESS...he's a good player, but he's a rental, and for this particular year I'm not sure what it adds to have him play a ton of minutes.  If we were a good team, fine.  We aren't, so I'd like him to play, but I don't think he needs to dominate the action like he does.  I found today's results interesting.  Can they be sustained?  That's a bigger question...maybe you should randomly bring up what Mark Few thinks.

As for Kobe....the numbers don't lie for THIS YEAR....

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-better-off-without-him-122214?vid=376057411873

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/101783/lakers-might-be-better-without-kobe

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:37:02 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »
http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-better-off-without-him-122214?vid=376057411873

So you're arguing that the Lakers would have a worse record than 13-37 right now if Kobe were still playing?  Wow.  You realize that since 3 peating the Lakers have finished under .500 a total of 2 seasons, and both of those seasons came when Kobe has missed a month or more of the season, right?  And this season will make it 3 seasons under .500, all with Kobe missing a significant portion of the season.  Not to mention, this season they were 10-22 before Kobe started missing time with injuries.  They have gone 3-15 since then.  Call me crazy, but it seems like the Lakers, over the course of his career as well as this season, are better with one of the greatest players ever on the court than they are without him on the court.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »
So you're arguing that the Lakers would have a worse record than 13-37 right now if Kobe were still playing?  Wow.  You realize that since 3 peating the Lakers have finished under .500 a total of 2 seasons, and both of those seasons came when Kobe has missed a month or more of the season, right?  And this season will make it 3 seasons under .500, all with Kobe missing a significant portion of the season.  Not to mention, this season they were 10-22 before Kobe started missing time with injuries.  They have gone 3-15 since then.  Call me crazy, but it seems like the Lakers, over the course of his career as well as this season, are better with one of the greatest players ever on the court than they are without him on the court.

Maybe you didn't read the part about THIS YEAR.  You also need to factor in the competition. I've provided other examples as well.  The numbers for THIS YEAR, do not lie.  It's been a hot story out here in L.A. for months, and the Kobe sycophants are having to eat a lot of crow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »
It seems clear to me that you ignored that I like Carlino as a player, but found today's results interesting.  Nowhere did I say he should be benched, nowhere did I insinuate anything of the kind....but then again, you are the type to bring in another coach at another school that has nothing to do with this so maybe you are seeing things.  I'd get that checked out.

Personally, I'd like to see Carlino play LESS...he's a good player, but he's a rental, and for this particular year I'm not sure what it adds to have him play a ton of minutes.  If we were a good team, fine.  We aren't, so I'd like him to play, but I don't think he needs to dominate the action like he does.  I found today's results interesting.  Can they be sustained?  That's a bigger question...maybe you should randomly bring up what Mark Few thinks.

As for Kobe....the numbers don't lie for THIS YEAR....

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/101783/lakers-might-be-better-without-kobe

What does Mark Few have to do with anything?  Carlino originally committed to play for your man crush Tom Crean.  Since day one of Carlino being rumored to come to Marquette you started warning everyone who would listen that he had his issues and there are big red flags when you commit to 1 school, decommit, commit somewhere else, transfer, and now transfer again.

Again, the "numbers" that matter are wins and losses.  Lakers before Kobe started missing time with injuries this year?  10-22.  Lakers since Kobe began missing time with injury?  3-15.  I think, although I could be wrong, that 10-22 is a much higher winning percentage than 3-15.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
Maybe you didn't read the part about THIS YEAR.  You also need to factor in the competition. I've provided other examples as well.  The numbers for THIS YEAR, do not lie.  It's been a hot story out here in L.A. for months, and the Kobe sycophants are having to eat a lot of crow.

Do the Lakers play better without Kobe?  Is Kobe a great player?   Interesting questions.

Here's the thing, when you originally brought up Kobe, you never said anything about this year, so I originally responded to what you actually said.  I don't have the ability to read your mind, so once you did change your argument to this year I also addressed that.  And you ignored it.  It's right there in my response that you quoted.  And it's in the last response I put up.  And I'll put it up here again.

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe:
10-22

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe:
3-15

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe winning percentage:

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe winning percentage:

Call me crazy, but THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe >>>>>> THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe.