'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirate thoughts  (Read 29700 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Pirate thoughts
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
They can't play in real life this way with Carlino , he upsets the team chemistry . We are better off without him. We just won on the road against a quality team because we had multiple contributors .

It's one game. If the team is capable of playing this way without Carlino, they are capable of playing this way with him. Some of that is on Carlino, some of that is on the the other players. Carlino tries to do it all down the stretch. During our losing streak, I saw no one else stepping up to do anything. We are a much better team with Carlino than without him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »
This is the first game that Wojo looked upset we were taking the air out of the ball. With about 3 mins left, we had two poor possessions in a row after wasting clock. Wojo called timeout, ran a quick play to get Taylor a shot. Next possession we got a steal, had a 3 on 2 and pushed the ball for a Taylor dunk. Don't think the stalling today was on Wojo, just an inexperienced team not sure how to close games.

Agree, the only thing I'll put on him today was the lack of a TO after they started pressing, but after the timeout we started pushing it again.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
This is the first game that Wojo looked upset we were taking the air out of the ball. With about 3 mins left, we had two poor possessions in a row after wasting clock. Wojo called timeout, ran a quick play to get Taylor a shot. Next possession we got a steal, had a 3 on 2 and pushed the ball for a Taylor dunk. Don't think the stalling today was on Wojo, just an inexperienced team not sure how to close games.

Problem is the guy who was guilty of what you speak of was our senior veteran PG.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Look, did some of you watch the same game I did?

I saw a team that for the first time was in control of themselves. I saw a team that played well together and played within themselves. They probably took some shots they should not have but overall, they played as they should today.

Time will tell whether this was a turning point on this season (perhaps not), but I liked what I saw in a team that played under control and stuck it in the throats of the Pirates. We drove the basket more in this game that we did most of last year. Plus, I think we were really good at avoiding our own faults, like chucking up a long bomb we know we are not going to make.

I can hardly wait for some front line strength in Henry next year. With Henry, Luke and STjr, we're going to be formidable. And, with some depth, we could make some people pay for this year.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
jsglow and I are on a plane right now, so this is the first game this season we have not watched.

Obviously, we are bad luck.  Anyone want to take over our season tickets?
Have some patience, FFS.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
It's one game. If the team is capable of playing this way without Carlino, they are capable of playing this way with him. Some of that is on Carlino, some of that is on the the other players. Carlino tries to do it all down the stretch. During our losing streak, I saw no one else stepping up to do anything. We are a much better team with Carlino than without him.

The "problem" if you will with Carlino trying to do it all down the stretch is this:

Who is he usually on the floor with?  Derrick, Duane, Juan and Luke.

Luke can't create a shot.
Teams don't defend Derrick honestly - they hedge off of him toward either Duane or Carlino.

Duane still does not finish well going to the basket at all.

By default, much like Mayo last season - somebody has to take charge at the end of the games and when you are handcuffed with 3 guys with MAJOR offensive limitations there's only so much you can do.

Get Carlino out there with JJJ and Duane, and you have a much more threatening and diversified lineup - and Carlino probably doesn't feel like he needs to do it all.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »

2.  JJJ got lots of minutes, played well.   Still too many out of control turnovers.
3.  Derrick played elite defense on Gibbs.

So you qualify JJJ's good game with the fact that he had too many turnovers (3), but then immediately follow it up by saying Derrick played "elite" defense (more than a slight exaggeration) with no mention of his 4 turnovers (one of which was a crucial mental mistake in the backcourt in crunch time) or 0/6 from the field, 1/4 from the FT line to qualify it. Odd.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
If you watched the game, you would have seen that Seton Hall lost the game more than Marquette won it.

MU outplayed them for almost the entire game?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
So you qualify JJJ's good game with the fact that he had too many turnovers (3), but then immediately follow it up by saying Derrick played "elite" defense (more than a slight exaggeration) with no mention of his 4 turnovers (one of which was a crucial mental mistake in the backcourt in crunch time) or 0/6 from the field, 1/4 from the FT line to qualify it. Odd.

Continue through the thread to where I said that Derrick was awful on offense.    Note #5 where I say that Derrick with more turnovers than usual today, including a near unforgivable one late.    Nothing odd but lack of reading comprehension.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:38:30 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
jsglow and I are on a plane right now, so this is the first game this season we have not watched.

Hope it is warm wherever you're coming from Chick and Glow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
All the Big East hates that we won today
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »
All the Big East hates that we won today

Good

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
Hope it is warm wherever you're coming from Chick and Glow

Going.  A week in Vegas.  It's 70 degrees there right now.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
If anything, Carlino would have at least shot the ball instead of running the clock down as much as MU did in the the last several minutes. I felt like we needed that gunner mentality then, because noone wanted to take charge and score.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »

He was sitting on two time outs. Seniors making the turnovers.  Really an area of development for the staff (not just Wojo) is the end of game situationals.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:24:15 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »
MU outplayed them for almost the entire game?

Not to mention we make even 60% of our free throws and the game would never have been close.

eg021

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
We're not better overall without carlino. We need our guys like Steve and jjj to play with confidence and not default to carlino late in the clock. Our guys seemed looser today and played well on both ends because of it. I do think we need to give our 3 bench guys some time because they can contribute positively. Can't say well we have 8 guys and they had a bad possession so wojo yanked them. If we can get all 8 playing with confidence, we might win a few more this year and be formidable in the big east tourney.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »
MU won points in the paint 42-22.  Luke, Steve and JJJ thank you for the 38 points of the 57.

Juan and Derrick 2-8 on free throws and seven turnovers. MU with two points in the last three minutes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:23:42 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
Isn't this great we even kick some of the players on this team even when we win. Just keep in mind as bad as you might thing some of our players are they are in all likelihood better than you will ever become. Shame we always need a fall guy and kick the weaker ones down. Fortunately this team plays like a team and not the way some on this blog think.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
Today the stall was 100% on the players.  I have no idea about the other games, but Wojo clearly was pissed after we pulled back in 3 on 1 and 2 on 4 situations.  That ended after Wojo got them in the huddle.  The aggressive play thereafter saved us.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »
Just like the one at the 1:54 mark where he fouled Gibbs and gave him an And 1 opportunity that brought them to 55-54?

This is where you lose me - stop trying to polish the turd.  Derrick was very shaky today.  His defense was solid today, but stop trying to make it as though we just witnessed Jimmy Butler on Tu Holloway.

Yes Ners, I am sure that you would be dunking all over Derrick back at the Rec Center or in your CYO league, or in your small HS league, Aina?

Talk about a turd.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

I missed most of the game and caught the last 5 minutes when I got home. It was down hill the entire time I watched so I guess i am in that "bad luck club" as well. Couldn't watch the last minute. Came here and saw we won.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
http://marquette.scout.com/story/1511296-signature-win-in-wojo-era-mu-57-shall-54?s=415

Wojo's postgame quotes.  Challenged Steve to be more physical, JJJ had a good week of practice.   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:51:33 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »
Problem is the guy who was guilty of what you speak of was our senior veteran PG.

What are you going to do when the season is over and you can no longer complain about our senior point guard? It's only a game and there are far more important things in life.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
MU won points in the paint 42-22.  Luke, Steve and JJJ thank you for the 38 points of the 57.

Juan and Derrick 2-8 on free throws and seven turnovers. MU with two points in the last three minutes

Yes.....Great work inside from the team today.

Derrick played 40 minutes, was 0 for 6 from field, 1 for 4 from Free throws (two fronted misses), 6 rebounds, 5 assists and  4 turnovers.  Played great defense on Whitehead when in man to man, but completely imploded in last three minutes.

Team need a shooter big time for next year, with Fischer and Ellenson kicking out to open man.  This year, have Carlino in spots, but everyone else, ugh.  

First road win in a year, wow.  Good for the youngsters to close out a game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:59:26 PM by nyg »