[June 19, 2024, 11:34:33 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 19, 2024, 10:13:47 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[June 19, 2024, 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirate thoughts  (Read 29768 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Pirate thoughts
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »

5.  Derrick with more turnovers than usual, including a near unforgivable one.

According to Velasquez, 4 is his most of the year.    I didn't know the number, but I knew it wasn't pretty.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
I'll be glad we've finally turned the page and start winning games on a regular basis again.

Not sure how you can look at next year's roster and think we're going to be all the much better compared to this year.

connie

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Not sure how you can look at next year's roster and think we're going to be all the much better compared to this year.
Please.  If you haven't figured out his reasoning you haven't been paying attention.  For the last 15 months.  Nonstop.  Incessantly.  Whether or not one point contradicts another.  Logic and reason be damned.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »
Please.  If you haven't figured out his reasoning you haven't been paying attention.  For the last 15 months.  Nonstop.  Incessantly.  Whether or not one point contradicts another.  Logic and reason be damned.

Who's the scapegoat next year then? I have my popcorn ready

brandx

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

You just don't get it, man. By next year Wojo will have read Ners' comments enough to learn how to coach.

connie

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
Who's the scapegoat next year then? I have my popcorn ready
We're all waiting with baited breath.  Obviously we have to start with Wojo ruining someone.  I think we should start a poll, but he tends to do that all by himself.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
No one is dillusional, the record speaks for itself, but some are obsessive. We all have our eyes open but the horse has been dead for a very long time. You my friend can simply not accept the reality and let go. Unfortunately I, nor anyone else, will reach you because you simply can not understand. Just try to see life from another perspective, we are not challenging the reality of MU basketball. There is simply a better way than getting so excited about what you can not change. You can not change MU basketball, just how we deal with where they are this year. Seriously give it some thought. We are all disappointed and since we can not change it we look for the positives and encourage the whole team. Like it or not, they are our team and that is the reality we need to accept. They all play hard, they all try, yes they mostly fail but when they win it is so sweet for them and that in itself is special.

Nice post 71.  I understand your position on the matter and agree they are our team and they all play hard.  You could say that those who share the opposite opinion of me are just as obsessive.  And, quite frankly - it is truly questionable if their eyes really are open, given some of the hyperbole and exaggeration they engage in to try to support their notion.

The volume of my comments on Derrick would be greatly reduced if I wasn't subjected to read things such as:  He's a better PG than Junior Cadougan and Dwight Buycks.  He is the LEAST of the team's problems.  He isn't/wasn't the main problem on team last year.  

As soon as the pig on the lipstick comments stop, I certainly can hold up my end of the bargain - yet even today, in this very thread we are subject to:  Derrick played elite defense on Gibbs.  Elite?  That word has almost become a joke around here of sorts for how many times that has been associated with Derrick.  

Then again I probably should just realize they seriously cannot be that ignorant and believe what they write and are simply trolling me.  

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
It's Wojo, and it's something he picked up from his mentor. The one consistent criticism you will hear about Coach K is that he takes the air out of the ball too soon when they get leads.
Well, then Wojo needs to try something else--and he sure as hell ain't K.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2015, 07:07:44 PM »
We're all waiting with baited breath.  Obviously we have to start with Wojo ruining someone.  I think we should start a poll, but he tends to do that all by himself.

You'll be waiting a long time Connie.  As no matter who Wojo rolls out there next season, NONE of them will be so incredibly overmatched at their position that it is beyond comprehension as to what he is thinking.

Is it not INCREDIBLY ODD that in a game where even his most die hard supporters generally have conceded he was AWFUL, and without our leading scorer, that we go on the road, and somehow pretty much control a game from start to finish against a team that just blew us out on the road just 10-days earlier??

Gee, wonder if it had anything to do with JJJ going from 7 minutes of PT to 35?  Seton Hall goes from scoring 80 points to 54?  Bama has advanced stats that show our defense in Big East play was Number 1 in the conference and that coincided with JJJ playing a much bigger role.  Yet, once he was relegated to 10-15 minutes per game our defensive rating in Big East tumbled?  Yet, I read here ALL the time how bad of defender JJJ is - because he gambles and goes for steals on occasion.  Yet the team D numbers show radically better when he plays.  Perhaps he's our Elite defender? LOL.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »
Nice post 71.  I understand your position on the matter and agree they are our team and they all play hard.  You could say that those who share the opposite opinion of me are just as obsessive.  And, quite frankly - it is truly questionable if their eyes really are open, given some of the hyperbole and exaggeration they engage in to try to support their notion.

The volume of my comments on Derrick would be greatly reduced if I wasn't subjected to read things such as:  He's a better PG than Junior Cadougan and Dwight Buycks.  He is the LEAST of the team's problems.  He isn't/wasn't the main problem on team last year.  

As soon as the pig on the lipstick comments stop, I certainly can hold up my end of the bargain - yet even today, in this very thread we are subject to:  Derrick played elite defense on Gibbs.  Elite?  That word has almost become a joke around here of sorts for how many times that has been associated with Derrick.  

Then again I probably should just realize they seriously cannot be that ignorant and believe what they write and are simply trolling me.  

I disagree with you on Derrick, but I would never say he was better than Junior or Buycks, I honestly don't think anyone on here has ever said that.  

But last year he wasn't the biggest problem.  Put Junior or Buycks on last years team and we still don't make the tournament. We needed a star, a Jimmy, or Wes or a Crowder.  We didn't have that dominant senior leader that could just take over games and lead by example.  That was our biggest problem.  We also had a coach, who forgot how to adapt our style to the team.  Those were our biggest problems.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
jsglow and I are on a plane right now, so this is the first game this season we have not watched.

Obviously, we are bad luck.  Anyone want to take over our season tickets?

I'd say yes, but I also missed the game due to vacation, so maybe I should too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
I disagree with you on Derrick, but I would never say he was better than Junior or Buycks, I honestly don't think anyone on here has ever said that.  

But last year he wasn't the biggest problem.  Put Junior or Buycks on last years team and we still don't make the tournament. We needed a star, a Jimmy, or Wes or a Crowder.  We didn't have that dominant senior leader that could just take over games and lead by example.  That was our biggest problem.  We also had a coach, who forgot how to adapt our style to the team.  Those were our biggest problems.

Ironically enough the guy who posted just after you did made that comment this week. Take it up with Brewcity77.

I disagree as I feel last year's team had enough star power out of Davante, Jamil and Todd.  Those are 3, NBA D-League players.  Jamil was absolutely handcuffed by being rolled out in a starting lineup with Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule.

I do agree that Buzz was awful as a coach last season.  And I only floated the stick it to the administration theory, as I cannot believe given what he showed as a coach his first 5 years on the job, he sincerely believe he was putting the team in the best position to win maxing Derrick and Jake's minutes together in the backcourt.  No talented front court like Davante/Jamil could do much of anything with a backcourt pairing THAT deficient.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
It's Wojo, and it's something he picked up from his mentor. The one consistent criticism you will hear about Coach K is that he takes the air out of the ball too soon when they get leads.
1002 times.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
You'll be waiting a long time Connie.  As no matter who Wojo rolls out there next season, NONE of them will be so incredibly overmatched at their position that it is beyond comprehension as to what he is thinking.

Is it not INCREDIBLY ODD that in a game where even his most die hard supporters generally have conceded he was AWFUL, and without our leading scorer, that we go on the road, and somehow pretty much control a game from start to finish against a team that just blew us out on the road just 10-days earlier??

Gee, wonder if it had anything to do with JJJ going from 7 minutes of PT to 35?  Seton Hall goes from scoring 80 points to 54?  Bama has advanced stats that show our defense in Big East play was Number 1 in the conference and that coincided with JJJ playing a much bigger role.  Yet, once he was relegated to 10-15 minutes per game our defensive rating in Big East tumbled?  Yet, I read here ALL the time how bad of defender JJJ is - because he gambles and goes for steals on occasion.  Yet the team D numbers show radically better when he plays.  Perhaps he's our Elite defender? LOL.

There is many problems with your narrative. The first being that you felt JJJ needed the time in replacement of Derrick. However, JJJ got his minutes with Derrick, who played badly, and the team still won. So why is it that three guys who you claim are three d-leaguers (they aren't) couldn't overcome him?  So if JJJ gets his 25+ minutes and Derrick got his 30+ then why couldn't Mayo win? jamil? Gardner? 

Either MU hit an opponent at the right time and JJJ benefited from that or Derrick wasn't the only problem. He was the constant.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
Ironically enough the guy who posted just after you did made that comment this week. Take it up with Brewcity77.

I disagree as I feel last year's team had enough star power out of Davante, Jamil and Todd.  Those are 3, NBA D-League players.  Jamil was absolutely handcuffed by being rolled out in a starting lineup with Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule.

I do agree that Buzz was awful as a coach last season.  And I only floated the stick it to the administration theory, as I cannot believe given what he showed as a coach his first 5 years on the job, he sincerely believe he was putting the team in the best position to win maxing Derrick and Jake's minutes together in the backcourt.  No talented front court like Davante/Jamil could do much of anything with a backcourt pairing THAT deficient.

Jamil last season was the single biggest disappointment of the Buzz era. You keep trying to blame Jamil's woes on Wilson or Buzz or Thomas or anybody but Jamil.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
Jamil last season was the single biggest disappointment of the Buzz era. You keep trying to blame Jamil's woes on Wilson or Buzz or Thomas or anybody but Jamil.

I'd think as a coach you would realize that basketball is still a team game - and when a coach rolls you out with Derrick Wilson, Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson and Chris Otule - that's a little different than a Jae Crowder rolling out with DJO, Buycks, and Jimmy.  And the same as Jimmy rolling out with Jae, DJO, Buycks, Cadougan and even Vander.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
There is many problems with your narrative. The first being that you felt JJJ needed the time in replacement of Derrick. However, JJJ got his minutes with Derrick, who played badly, and the team still won. So why is it that three guys who you claim are three d-leaguers (they aren't) couldn't overcome him?  So if JJJ gets his 25+ minutes and Derrick got his 30+ then why couldn't Mayo win? jamil? Gardner? 

Either MU hit an opponent at the right time and JJJ benefited from that or Derrick wasn't the only problem. He was the constant.

Not your best effort on this one bud.  There are many problems with what you posted.

Yes, I've said JJJ should be getting a lot of Derrick's minutes.  We don't need essentially 3 Point Guard type players all starting.  And Carlino and Duane are better than Derrick.  As is JJJ.  I just want our best players on the floor max minutes.

JJJ's defense gets ripped by those of you who want to champion Derrick's, yet when JJJ plays 20+ minutes our defense is better.  Take it up with Stat Expert Bama to give you the numbers on where we ranked in the Big East defensively before Wojo started to nail JJJ to the bench.

As for last season - Do you feel Derrick has improved this year??  In reality, he isn't that much better than he was last year - but he is better - so he's less of a burden, yet still a burden.  Furthermore, when paired with Jake Thomas as his running mate last year, it just further exacerbated the problem.  I ripped Buzz on that pairing all of last year - yet Jake at least could serve the purpose of floor spacer.  Derrick??  He wasn't even guarded on the perimeter come conference play, and he wouldn't shoot, averaged about 4ppg in 35+ minutes per game, while the opposition used his defender to collapse the paint and make life hell on Davante and Jamil.

I'm still blown away how some want to point the finger and Davante and Jamil for what went wrong last year - guys who actually produced in spite of being paired with quite possibly the most overmatched backcourt in the history of the Big East/high major basketball.  I mean one guard made 9, 2 pt FGs for the entire season and the other guard made 1, 3 point shot for the whole year while shooting 46% from the FT line, and not being guarded.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2015, 09:51:02 PM »
I'd think as a coach you would realize that basketball is still a team game - and when a coach rolls you out with Derrick Wilson, Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson and Chris Otule - that's a little different than a Jae Crowder rolling out with DJO, Buycks, and Jimmy.  And the same as Jimmy rolling out with Jae, DJO, Buycks, Cadougan and even Vander.

I'm partially in agreement with Ners. Is Jamil's lack of productivity a result of his passiveness and sometimes lack of effort? Yes. But he did often play with 4 other players who could not create anything and therefore in very suboptimal situations.

However, he got plenty of minutes with Gardner and Mayo, both good offensive players, and he still drifted around the 3 point line. So I'd say it's 70% on Jamil, but Buzz's starting lineups did not help at all.

connie

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

I don't really need to comment on your putting down another for "not realizing basketball is still a team game" while you obsessively focus all team deficits on one player because it wouldn't matter to you, but what the hell, I'm in a good mood tonight and feel like sharing the laughter.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2015, 09:58:41 PM »
I'm partially in agreement with Ners. Is Jamil's lack of productivity a result of his passiveness and sometimes lack of effort? Yes. But he did often play with 4 other players who could not create anything and therefore in very suboptimal situations.

However, he got plenty of minutes with Gardner and Mayo, both good offensive players, and he still drifted around the 3 point line. So I'd say it's 70% on Jamil, but Buzz's starting lineups did not help at all.

Yes, he did get some minutes with both Gardner and Mayo, yet I still feel people have a hard time understanding how bogged down our whole team got last year as a result of Derrick's limitations.  I'm not trying to pile on the guy by saying that either.  Many like to use O-Rating as a metric - Jamil regressed from a 110.4 on 21.1% usage (which is a good usage number) as a junior to 102.5 on 23.4% usage.  That's a big drop in efficiency.  Davante, after improving his O-Rating every year from Freshman year through Junior year, showed no improvement as a Senior.  Some criticized his conditioning, yet his O-Rating was better in games he played more than 30+ minutes.

Davante and Jamil were both BEYOND frustrated last season with how Buzz coached.  

Shark

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
Ners has his moments. He is right on the problem with last year. You had a starting lineup of 4 completely 1-dimensional guys. Jamil had a pretty raw deal on that one. Also, he was right that JJJ does need more minutes. Now, no one of scoop knows how practices go, but he has shown he has insane potential.

Personally, I like Derrick. I do think that he should play a bit less when Carlino is healthy because there is really no need to play 3 pg's. It hurts everyone involved and makes the offense very stagnant at times. The problem Ners has is that he's unrelenting. This is a rough season and we know what you think...but it's hard to really blame Derrick or Wojo based on what's on the roster right now. The experience on the roster is pretty much lacking talent and the talented guys are pretty inexperienced. Wojo is not only learning his way but he's doing so with a lot of roadblocks. I'm very impressed with this team this year. They could easily be a bubble team right now...not something I'd expected at the start of the year.

Let's hope for some more magic vs Xavier and see what happens after.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:06:55 PM by Shark »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
I don't really need to comment on your putting down another for "not realizing basketball is still a team game" while you obsessively focus all team deficits on one player because it wouldn't matter to you, but what the hell, I'm in a good mood tonight and feel like sharing the laughter.

It's hard to bail out a teammate that doesn't even need to be guarded on the perimeter, when he is your PG and engine of your offense.  Offense usually starts with guards.  They initiate the offense. Bigs are reliant on guard play.  So Davante could pass out of a double/triple team to a wide open Derrick at the 3 point line - the right basketball play - and what would Derrick do?  Nothing. 

I don't look at a team and say - hey Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson and Todd Mayo are the deficits on the team and point blame their way.  Not when they are on the court with Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »
Ners has his moments. He is right on the problem with last year. You had a starting lineup of 4 completely 1-dimensional guys. Jamil had a pretty raw deal on that one. Also, he was right that JJJ does need more minutes. Now, no one of scoop knows how practices go, but he has shown he has insane potential.

Personally, I like Derrick. I do think that he should play a bit less when Carlino is healthy because there is really no need to play 3 pg's. It hurts everyone involved and makes the offense very stagnant at times. The problem Ners has is that he's unrelenting. This is a rough season and we know what you think...but it's hard to really blame Derrick or Wojo based on what's on the roster right now. The experience on the roster is pretty much lacking talent, and the talented guys are pretty inexperienced. Wojo is not only learning his way but he's doing so with a lot of roadblocks. I'm very impressed with this team this year. They could easily be a bubble team right now...not something I'd expected at the start of the year.

Let's hope for some more magic vs Xavier and see what happens after.

Nice post Shark.  And as you mention this roster has an experience problem.  And much like last year, I'd prefer not to see us grind to the finish line without getting our talented underclassmen on the floor as much as possible - JJJ and Cohen.  Sadly we lost Burton already.  You mention we could easily be a bubble team right now - that's part of what makes it so frustrating.  Imagine if Wojo had rolled hell or highwater at the start of the season with Burton and JJJ getting 25-27 and Juan and Derrick 13-15 minutes per game.  Where might we be this season?  But at minimum if not where this season, how much better off for next for them to have gotten a full season of lots of experience?

The class of Duane, JJJ and Burton was every bit as good as Jerel, Wes and Dom.  And those guys as freshman took us to an NCAA along with Steve Novak.  I simply feel Derrick and Juan playing 30+ per game, though they play their hearts out, simply wasn't the best chance for us to win this season.

eg021

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

I think we'll be significantly improved. I fully expect a tourney birth next year.

Duane will improve from downtown and his ability to finish at the rim will improve.

Luke will be stronger and more experienced in the post. Would like to see him hit a jump shot. He made those in high school, doesn't even try it yet.

Sandy and jjj will be strong contributors.

We lose Juan and derrick contributing great leadership, the occasional rebound and head scratching offense for 30 min per game.

Henry is the real deal. Great handle for a big. Dynamic scorer and can play inside out. I expect him to average 17 a game next year.

Not sure what Wally and Steve will be for us.

Heldt should redshirt. Will be a great program guy down the road.

We might get some jucos ready to play day 1 too.

To think we'll be second last in conference next year is just crazy to me. If we can't win more games with 7 or 8 top 100 guys who are gaining experience then the problem isn't a lack of talent.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
Nice post Shark.  And as you mention this roster has an experience problem.  And much like last year, I'd prefer not to see us grind to the finish line without getting our talented underclassmen on the floor as much as possible - JJJ and Cohen.  Sadly we lost Burton already.  You mention we could easily be a bubble team right now - that's part of what makes it so frustrating.  Imagine if Wojo had rolled hell or highwater at the start of the season with Burton and JJJ getting 25-27 and Juan and Derrick 13-15 minutes per game.  Where might we be this season?  But at minimum if not where this season, how much better off for next for them to have gotten a full season of lots of experience?

The class of Duane, JJJ and Burton was every bit as good as Jerel, Wes and Dom.  And those guys as freshman took us to an NCAA along with Steve Novak.  I simply feel Derrick and Juan playing 30+ per game, though they play their hearts out, simply wasn't the best chance for us to win this season.

I'm sad Burton is gone too but I didn't think he looked the same. He definitely seemed to be feeling sad due to his mom....add in the new system and that is what happens. We will all miss him but it's sort of one of those casualties to life situations. Can't really blame PT with the obstacle of him losing his support system. I still feel like JJJ and Cohen have gotten some great opportunities this year and I feel like they have played well when given the time. Moving forward this team just needs to keep battling and building.

There's always going to be a "what-if" scenario in sports....you just have to let them go. I'm happy they won today and I'll be happy as long as the team keeps battling. These guys will only continue to grow from the opportunities that are presented with each and every close game. I will miss Juan and Derrick mostly due to their class and leadership. It's obvious that they are not next-level talents but you have to respect their effort and their constant commitment to helping the young guys. I hope we are able to close out some more games and get them some wins before they leave. Not the best players ever but gotta give them their due.

feedback