Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Matt Carlino upset by 'dirty play' that resulted in injury  (Read 16957 times)

MattVelazquezSays

Matt Carlino upset by 'dirty play' that resulted in injury

<br /><br />Philadelphia &amp;mdash; When Matt Carlino hit the ground midway through the second half everyone feared the worst. Drawn into the air by a Ryan Arcidiacono pump fake, Carlino made contact with the Villanova guard and flipped through the air, landing awkwardly on his head with his neck bent at an odd angle.<br />
Source: Matt Carlino upset by 'dirty play' that resulted in injury

g0lden3agle

• All American
Not entirely sure what Carlino thinks Arcidiacono should have/could have done in order to prevent that flip.  Arcidiacono did what any other player does when he gets a player up in the air, he took the hit and ensured he'd be taking 2 shots...

tower912

• All American
I am guessing that he feels that once he was in the air, the Nova player came up into him, enhancing the fall.    Splitting hairs. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Arch has to go up or else the foul will be on the floor. Unfortunate result for Carlino but absolutely nothing dirty about it.

Also, Carlino should NOT have come back into that game. He was clearly concussed. Right after it happened, his eyes were glazed and he was staring into space before resting his head back down on the floor. Obviously the coaches and trainers didn't see the TV angle of that so they presumably didn't know, but isn't there someone in the arena who had access to that view and could get word to the bench? I ask that sincerely. Maybe there's not.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Also, Carlino should NOT have come back into that game. He was clearly concussed. Right after it happened, his eyes were glazed and he was staring into space before resting his head back down on the floor. Obviously the coaches and trainers didn't see the TV angle of that so they presumably didn't know, but isn't there someone in the arena who had access to that view and could get word to the bench? I ask that sincerely. Maybe there's not.

Agreed.  I was watching the game on my laptop, so my screen wasn't very large, but I thought for sure his eyes looked glazed over.

I could not believe he was let back in the game, there was no reason for it.

We R Final Four

• All American
That was a terrible play.  I couldn't believe that matt walked away from that.  Clearly concussed.  I thought he broke his neck when I initially saw it.  The grimace on Wojo's face as he walked over was memorable.  All that being said, this was not a dirty play in the least.

MU82

• All American
Arch has to go up or else the foul will be on the floor. Unfortunate result for Carlino but absolutely nothing dirty about it.

Agree with every word of this. The fact that Carlino thought it was a dirty play probably means he still wasn't thinking straight after the game.

Zero, absolutely zero, dirty about the play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
I find it interesting that there are multiple people not anywhere near Carlino who know, as a fact, he was "clearly concussed" and shouldn't have played thereafter.

And just to preempt the typical Scoop douchebaggery, yes you can have an opinion and yes I couldn't give a crap what that opinion is but stating it as fact is misguided.

tower912

• All American
I find it interesting that there are multiple people not anywhere near Carlino who know, as a fact, he was "clearly concussed" and shouldn't have played thereafter.

And just to preempt the typical Scoop douchebaggery, yes you can have an opinion and yes I couldn't give a crap what that opinion is but stating it as fact is misguided.

If you start the douchebaggery, you are not preempting it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
If you start the douchebaggery, you are not preempting it.   

I follow your lead.

So, no worries in your head about people making up their mind without knowing any factual details of a situation? No wonder I cringe when your name pops up on my screen.

chapman

• All American
There was nothing dirty about the play.  Both players going strong and making a basketball play.  Must be the concussion talking.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Not being there, not seeing any scans, I can't say for certain Carlino was concussed. But he did take a bad fall that could have easily done head or neck damage. We were down 20 on the road. There was no reason for him to come back in. Despite him playing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he missed time in upcoming games. He should have had a collar and an ambulance ride. There's no way to accurately assess the damage that could have been done on the bench.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

g0lden3agle

• All American

There is literally one person on the thread that stated it as fact.  The other simply said there was no reason to put him back in the game, which everyone should be able to agree with.  Shut the guy down for a half of a blowout.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
I stated that he was clearly concussed.

His head was 8+ feet in the air and he came crashing down, head-first onto a hard surface and then sat dazed, with his eyes glazed over for several seconds before slowly placing his head on the ground. Admittedly it's not a fact that he was concussed but, using common sense, I'm 97% certain that he was.

We R Final Four

• All American
I also used the term.  And saw the same thing at Merritsmustache.  I did not diagnose him, but from my experience of having a concussion, that was a textbook concussion.  He didn't know if he was in Philly or Provo, Utah.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Embarrassingly, I didn't remember the game was on until 3 minutes left.   

Any video of Carlino's fall?

tower912

• All American
I follow your lead.

So, no worries in your head about people making up their mind without knowing any factual details of a situation? No wonder I cringe when your name pops up on my screen.

I said nothing about him being concussed.   And the feeling is completely mutual. 

g0lden3agle

• All American

I looked earlier this morning and couldn't find anything

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Senior day can't come soon enough.

MUDPT

• All American
He could have had a concussion, he also could not have had one.  There are no scans that can tell you whether he had one or not either.  We have no idea, just trust that the team ATC did the proper tests after.  I remember 2 years ago Junior collided with Ashton Gibbs? at Pitt.  I immediately told my friends that Gibbs wasn't coming back in.  The University of Pittsburgh's medical school is at the forefront of concussion research/ treatment.  If Carlino was at Pitt, he probably would have not played after that.

Boozemon Barro

• All American

Just imagine him doing a routine on the uneven bars and he sticks the landing on his face.

cheesey

• Walk-On

Scroll down to the small video.  You can see it at about 35 second mark.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/no-7-villanova-wildcats-romp-hand-marquette-golden-eagles-their-6th-straight-loss-020415

We R Final Four

• All American
Sorry--pretty grainy.

We R Final Four

• All American
another.

We R Final Four

• All American
1K yard stare.