Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Matt Carlino upset by 'dirty play' that resulted in injury  (Read 16958 times)

jsglow

• All American
I too thought it to be a basketball play with no ill intent on Archi's part.  That was one helluva tumble.  Glad Matt's okay leaving out the discussion of whether he should have reentered the game.

LAMUfan

• All American
The stare is what looks like a concussion, he did have a bloody nose so if he landed on his face it's actually better in terms of avoiding concussions (jaw and back of head being worse)  That being said, the game was out of hand, I would of not let him come back in.  I was way more worried about a spinal cord injury, that was ugly stuff. 

GGGG

• All American
Seriously, I think Marquette's training staff knows better than "random fan watching the television" whether or not he was "clearly concussed."  Just because someone is dazed after hitting their head, that doesn't mean they have a concussion.  Also, someone can look just fine immediately after hitting their head and come down with concussion symptoms later.

LAMUfan

• All American
Right, for sure, that's why because the game was out of hand I probably just would of ended his night.  But who know what he was saying/ looked like.  I do like many MU fans have some training on this.  Not faulting the staff, I am just being overly cautious.  Carlino was air balling threes after that anyway ;)  Glad he's ok.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Seriously, I think Marquette's training staff knows better than "random fan watching the television" whether or not he was "clearly concussed."  Just because someone is dazed after hitting their head, that doesn't mean they have a concussion.  Also, someone can look just fine immediately after hitting their head and come down with concussion symptoms later.

I heard that MU isn't going to fly their medical staff with the team any longer. They will just watch the game on TV and evaluate players from there.

Also, playing time is going to be determined by american idol style voting, seen as Wojo is going such a poor job.

bilsu

• All American
I do not know if he had a concussion, but he aired balled two three point attempts after he came back in.

It occurred to me after it happen that you can be thrown out of a game, if you hit a player above the shoulders. I think this kind of play is much more dangerous than a random elbow. I am not sure what you do about it, but maybe it should be looked at. There was another play were Archdiancano faked somebody on a three point shot and then jumped into him and was awarded three free throws. This is a common thing he does. I would not prevent that, but maybe there should be a rule if you undercut a player that has left his feet and falls on his head. You can argue it was not intentional, but most elbows to the head are not intentional.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I do not know if he had a concussion, but he aired balled two three point attempts after he came back in.

It occurred to me after it happen that you can be thrown out of a game, if you hit a player above the shoulders. I think this kind of play is much more dangerous than a random elbow. I am not sure what you do about it, but maybe it should be looked at. There was another play were Archdiancano faked somebody on a three point shot and then jumped into him and was awarded three free throws. This is a common thing he does. I would not prevent that, but maybe there should be a rule if you undercut a player that has left his feet and falls on his head. You can argue it was not intentional, but most elbows to the head are not intentional.

I do believe that there was no intent on Archdiancano's part to injure, and I think that you provide a fair description of the play.  I like your point comparing it to the rules concerning elbows.  To my eyes, Carlino was up in the air when Archdiancano sprung up from a crouched position (probably to be in the act of shooting when fouled) which resulted in Carlino being flipped over almost 180 degrees, so that he was headed to the floor head first.  It was a very scary fall, I fully understand Carlino being touchy about it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:01:25 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PVMagic

• Starter
Pretty hard/impossible to diagnose a concussion based on a still from a video clip.  I'd trust the training staff's assessment of his mental status immediately after the event occurred.  He can be cleared of a cervical spine injury clinically on the bench (without further imaging).

MerrittsMustache

• All American

Like you said, someone can look just fine immediately after hitting their head and come down with concussion symptoms later. Someone can also be completely dazed (like Carlino was) but be well enough to pass the concussion protocol a few minutes later. I firmly believe that he was clearly concussed. Disagree if you will. We're all entitled to our opinions.

MU82

• All American
We were down by 1,000 points. Really, there was no reason for him to come back in.

I'm not jumping to concussion conclusions, just using common sense. A perfect opportunity to play the younger guys.

And I say this as a Wojo fan who rarely criticizes his rotation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
He was either concussed or he was not concussed.  We must defer to the training staff---they know more than you or me. They said he was not concussed and is OK to play. Therefore, he plays. There is no middle ground.

Therefore, if he was NOT concussed as determined by professionals in this area, not the random fan, there is no reason for Matt not to play regardless of the score of the game. He was cleared to play.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
There is literally one person on the thread that stated it as fact.  The other simply said there was no reason to put him back in the game, which everyone should be able to agree with.  Shut the guy down for a half of a blowout.

There was more than one who stated opinion as fact. Three days ago that was misguided. Now, it is totally appropriate to state it as fact.

MerrittsMustache

• All American

Apparently they should have listened to the "random fan watching the television."  ;)

In all seriousness, I wish Matt a full and speedy recovery.

We R Final Four

• All American
Seriously, Matt was concussed when he fell from 8' onto his head and didn't know where he was for 30 seconds?????

Ill defer to the MU training staff, just a random fan here.

Class71

• All American
Apparently the MU training staff needs a refresher on concussions. These are serious events where safety should come first. When in doubt the player sits. We should not be gambling with the health of our players period.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

jesmu84

• All American
Apparently the MU training staff needs a refresher on concussions. These are serious events where safety should come first. When in doubt the player sits. We should not be gambling with the health of our players period.

Well, it's tough to say. He could have passed all appropriate concussion protocol testing. You can be dazed or whatever and not have a concussion. You can also show signs (that fail testing) later on. Concussions are dicey. In this (and only this) situation, I would have sat him as preventative due to the game situation.

We R Final Four

• All American
Is there a concussion protocol?  Not saying MU doesnt have one or it wasnt implemented, but the extensive sideline testing seemed to include:

Staff-- "U OK?"

Matt: "Yeah, I'm fine".

2 min later MC was back in the game shooting an airball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Is there a concussion protocol?  Not saying MU doesnt have one or it wasnt implemented, but the extensive sideline testing seemed to include:

Staff-- "U OK?"

Matt: "Yeah, I'm fine".

2 min later MC was back in the game shooting an airball.

I coach youth football and have a concerned citizen's understand of concussion testing in sports. It's my understanding that to do the full battery of recommended sideline tests (in football) it would take longer than a minute or two. At the same time it seems that there is a judgment call being made as to whether the full battery is really necessary if the player "seems" perfectly fine.

Also, as to the wishy-washy nature of concussion detection / diagnosis. This is one of the most difficult diagnoses even for a neurologist to make, let alone an athletic trainer to make. I'm not saying that they are unqualified, just that it is very difficult and not as clear-cut as having a cold. There is a long list of signs/symptoms which someone may or may not be experiencing for any of them to be deemed a concussion. Some of them may have been missed. I don't think the concussion protocol is standardized in college basketball as it is in professional football and it probably ought to be.

forgetful

• All American

They went through a protocol on the sidelines (you could see it from the TV).  He passed.  When he went to the hospital later, they couldn't even verify that he had a concussion (at least that is what the announcers said).  They kept him out this game as a precaution.

bilsu

• All American
They went through a protocol on the sidelines (you could see it from the TV).  He passed.  When he went to the hospital later, they couldn't even verify that he had a concussion (at least that is what the announcers said).  They kept him out this game as a precaution.
He may of passed the test, but the game was basically over with whether he came back in or not. It just was a poor decision to play him.

forgetful

• All American
He may of passed the test, but the game was basically over with whether he came back in or not. It just was a poor decision to play him.

I agree.  I would rather MU be overly cautious with the players health.