collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

McAdams Fired

Good decision by MU
Bad decision

Author Topic: Update on prof McAdams  (Read 159098 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Update on prof McAdams
« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
The letter is ridiculous.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
I don't understand the problem.

They don't like how McAdams acted, and they are saying so.

What's the big deal?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #453 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »

What's the big deal?

And never mentioned they wanted Marquette to let him go.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »

What's the big deal?

Irony

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #455 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
Irony

It's not okay for McAdams to critique a TA, so it's not okay for these profs to critique McAdams?

Fine. Write them up too. If they do it on several occasions, they can be fired as well.

We all good now?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
It's not okay for McAdams to critique a TA, so it's not okay for these profs to critique McAdams?

Fine. Write them up too. If they do it on several occasions, they can be fired as well.

We all good now?

There should be no writing up. That is the point. Marquette as an establishment has decided to over step its bounds and take improper actions (wrongfully suspending, attempting to fire) to address the situation.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »
There should be no writing up. That is the point. Marquette as an establishment has decided to over step its bounds and take improper actions (wrongfully suspending, attempting to fire) to address the situation.

Alright, well, that's the fundamental disagreement then.

I think what McAdams did was unprofessional at best. AND, if he was warned of such actions in the past, then his firing might have merit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2015, 04:00:29 PM »

Well, I guess the courts are going to have to decide if it "over stepped its bounds."  Even tenured professors can be fired for cause.  We will see if Marquette properly documented its "cause."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #459 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
It's been a couple of weeks.

Has MU been getting killed for this decision in the media?

(I'm honestly asking because I don't consume much news media that would cover a topic like this).

I haven't heard anything, but that doesn't mean people aren't out there talking about this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #460 on: February 24, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
No, but there has been no real movement on anything over the past couple of weeks.  My guess is that his attorney is getting his stuff together to file a lawsuit of some-such and/or negotiating a buy out.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #461 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
No, but there has been no real movement on anything over the past couple of weeks.  My guess is that his attorney is getting his stuff together to file a lawsuit of some-such and/or negotiating a buy out.

Well, this will come up again, I guess I'm just checking on the potential bad PR MU could be receiving.

It will come up again, and then MU might take a little heat... but so far... haven't heard much.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #462 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
Well, this will come up again, I guess I'm just checking on the potential bad PR MU could be receiving.

It will come up again, and then MU might take a little heat... but so far... haven't heard much.

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes...no.  Marquette isn't receiving much heat from this at all.  (As predicted.)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #463 on: February 24, 2015, 02:25:33 PM »

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes...no.  Marquette isn't receiving much heat from this at all.  (As predicted.)

Marquette did receive heat, as many links have already been posted when the news broke. Just because we live in a 24 hour media society that has no choice but to cover more recent stories does not mean the university did not receive flack. Since there are no new developments in the story, there is nothing to report.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
Marquette did receive heat, as many links have already been posted when the news broke. Just because we live in a 24 hour media society that has no choice but to cover more recent stories does not mean the university did not receive flack. Since there are no new developments in the story, there is nothing to report.

I never said they didn't receive flack. 

What I said at the time: 

"I mean, how much of a "PR disaster" was it when Marquette withdrew the offer to the Liberal Arts dean?  After about a month, people moved on.  It had no real impact on donations, admissions or among the faculty.  This will be about the same."

I stand by that.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
Marquette isn't receiving much heat from this at all.  (As predicted.)

You literally just said this.

Yes, we will see if Marquette donations drop off. Also, we will have to wait and see how this plays out. Marquette is attempting to keep this as quiet as possible.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »

Yes, we will see if Marquette donations drop off. Also, we will have to wait and see how this plays out. Marquette is attempting to keep this as quiet as possible.

"Not much heat" isn't "no heat."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:41 AM »

"Not much heat" isn't "no heat."

If Marquette is in the national news it is almost always for something bad. They have an atrocious record of managing matters.

I'm not sure I necessarily see a difference between hot and hotter. If John McAdams is warm then Jodi O'Brien was scalding. The O'Brien abrogation was a bloody embarrassment. The McAdams affair only reinforces the negative associations outsiders must have about MU.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/education/07marquette.html?_r=0

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #468 on: February 25, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
O' Brien was hardly scalding.  Didn't effect the university much, if at all.  (Notwithstanding a NYT article from FIVE years ago.)  I am certainly not saying they handled it well, but you don't understand how little this stuff ultimately matters in the long run.

Did it have substantial impacts on donations and/or enrollment?  Will it in the future?  If the answer is "no," then ultimately the storm was brief and passed quickly.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #469 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »

Agreed. MU is going to keep this quiet as possible. 

I guess for me, there seemed to be some people shaking their fist on this board, but not much has come of it (so far).

I keep in touch with about 20-30 MU alums on a regular basis (social media, co-workers, etc.) and this topic has come up ZERO times. Now, that's an extremely anecdotal example, so I'm not saying it's scientifically significant, but I'm not sure that McAdams is really going to be an issue.

There might be some $ exchanged, there might be a court decision, but I don't know if this is the PR disaster that some feared, at least so far it isn't.

I guess we will see what happens when court documents start piling up.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #470 on: February 25, 2015, 09:58:16 AM »
Some (many) of you don't listen to or don't believe in the alternative media.  Believe me, there is coverage.  It exists, even though you don't hear it.

There may be no immediate drop off, but this stuff always comes home to roost.  10-20 years from now, when large bequeaths are considered the connection to McAdams will matter.  Personally, I am reconsidering MU donations.  I'm thinking of redirecting contributions to Jesuit Nation.

The O'Brien issue and the McAdams issue are from polar sides of the political universe, and both were handled terribly by Marquette.  Why even pay PR flaks when they consistently screw it up.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #471 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Some (many) of you don't listen to or don't believe in the alternative media.  Believe me, there is coverage.  It exists, even though you don't hear it.

There may be no immediate drop off, but this stuff always comes home to roost.  10-20 years from now, when large bequeaths are considered the connection to McAdams will matter.  Personally, I am reconsidering MU donations.  I'm thinking of redirecting contributions to Jesuit Nation.

The O'Brien issue and the McAdams issue are from polar sides of the political universe, and both were handled terribly by Marquette.  Why even pay PR flaks when they consistently screw it up.

Ya, see, I don't consume a lot of alternative media, so that's why i'm asking. I'm totally admit there could be an underlying wave of people talking about this. Please share any links that you can.

As far as donations, I think it's totally reasonable for people to withhold their dollars. It's the best way to make your voice heard with a private school.

20 year impact? There is no way to know for sure. I'd argue that this is a pretty small issue. Hell, I couldn't tell you about issues like this from 20 years ago, so I don't know that anybody is going to be bringing this up 20 years from now, but I fully admit that maybe I'm just don't understand the amount of outrage.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #472 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
The average alum just doesn't care.  
The average alum cares more about the Won-Loss record of the basketball team than this.

As Sultan has said several times this matters very little (if at all) in the long run despite some strong opinions here one way or the other.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
O' Brien was hardly scalding.  Didn't effect the university much, if at all.  (Notwithstanding a NYT article from FIVE years ago.)  I am certainly not saying they handled it well, but you don't understand how little this stuff ultimately matters in the long run.

Did it have substantial impacts on donations and/or enrollment?  Will it in the future?  If the answer is "no," then ultimately the storm was brief and passed quickly.

This. News moves so fast nowadays many on here aren't realizing that this is just a blip in the news cycle before everyone moves on and reads something else (if they even noticed it/remembered it at all).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »
The average alum just doesn't care.  
The average alum cares more about the Won-Loss record of the basketball team than this.

I have a hard time coming up with any good reasons why I shouldn't care more about the won-loss record of the basketball team than this.

feedback