[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

McAdams Fired

Good decision by MU
Bad decision

Author Topic: Update on prof McAdams  (Read 159077 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:30:34 AM by mu_hilltopper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Update on prof mccrabby pants (mcadams)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »
Free McAdams!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
I'm sure there won't be any litigation from his side at all if he's terminated.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
Pleasantly surprised with this outcome.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »
F uck Marquette. This is shameful and embarassing

Death on call

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
No way this is over. McAdams, with a lawyer and nothing to lose, creates a crapload of negative attention for MU over the next 18-24 months. The guy has to be relatively set from a financial perspective, so settlement money won't be appealing to him. Buckle down, MU brass...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
Oh-oh, this ain't gonna end well for anyone.  The final agree's to disagree's will more than likely have some gags in it.  Regardless of how this plays out, this doesn't look good from the outside looking in
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »
Marquette does more to shoot itself in the face than any other college I know. 

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Before you all get lathered up:

ear Marquette community,
In light of media coverage triggered by information Associate Professor John McAdams shared publicly, it is important that I share additional perspective with you. While we will not discuss details of personnel matters, I can inform you that the university’s review process is now complete. Professor McAdams has been advised of the action that the university intends to take as a result. Until all procedures required under university rules and policies are complete, we will not publicly disclose further details. I do, however, want to reinforce important principles that I have discussed previously that will be at the forefront of our efforts going forward.
The decisions here have everything to do with our Guiding Values and expectations of conduct toward each other and nothing to do with academic freedom, freedom of speech, or same-sex marriage. As I noted in my recent Presidential Address, our Guiding Values were drafted with extensive input from our campus community to keep us all accountable and to provide the foundation for a collegial environment based on mutual respect.
As your president, I assure you of my full support for academic freedom. My academic experiences are rooted in my time as a tenured faculty member, where I saw first-hand the great privileges and responsibilities bestowed upon me and my academic colleagues.
Debate and intense discussion are at the heart of who we are as a university, but they must be balanced with respect – our Catholic faith and Jesuit tradition demand nothing less. There are dozens of ways disagreements can be handled with respect and civility on campus, many of which are outlined in our handbooks. And, there are dozens of ways a professor can productively help a student learn and grow.
We must always remember that academic freedom must be grounded in integrity, be accurate at all times and show respect for others’ opinions. When these standards are not met, the power of tenure can abuse and silence our students – the very minds we are seeking to cultivate, grow and ultimately transform.
In closing, you have my promise that the safety and well-being of our students will come first in every decision I make as president of this great university.
Sincerely,
Michael R. Lovell
President

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
I'm sure there won't be any litigation from his side at all if he's terminated.

He'd be wasting his money, he has no legal merit in this instance.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
I wonder how Marquette likes its eggs?
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
He'd be wasting his money, he has no legal merit in this instance.

You're may be right, but it will be framed as a free speech issue by his side. And there are plenty of groups (Fire is the 1st that comes to mind, maybe even ACLU) that will take it as a free speech case.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
You're may be right, but it will be framed as a free speech issue by his side. And there are plenty of groups (Fire is the 1st that comes to mind, maybe even ACLU) that will take it as a free speech case.

Free speech would be grasping at best.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »

Are you talking about the freedom of speech that guarantees that the government can't abridge your right to speak?    And how does that apply to Marquette, being, you know, not the government?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »
Are you talking about the freedom of speech that guarantees that the government can't abridge your right to speak?    And how does that apply to Marquette, being, you know, not the government?

Yep.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »
Marquette does more to shoot itself in the face than any other college I know. 

Uh huh. I disagree with McAdams' ideology, but termination of a tenured professor due to ideological differences is really wrong. It's not like Johnny was cranking out hate mail to the TA up in his office in the Wehr building.

The right answer was for MU to suck it up and wait out this guy's tenure. How old is he, 70? How much longer would he have been on campus anyway?  If you don't agree with his approach, don't tenure him in the unnatural carnal knowledgeing first place.

My guess is that this is a decision made with significant input from enrollment and development. MU calculates that McAdams' presence impacts applications and donations and cuts bait. Which would be cool if he were an assistant professor or, ahem, a TA, but he's in neither of those roles. His tenure protects his right to both differ ideologically on gay marriage, as well as his ability to promote discourse on an issue that has nowhere near unanimous support in this country, outside the MU garden.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
Oh-oh, this ain't gonna end well for anyone.  The final agree's to disagree's will more than likely have some gags in it.  Regardless of how this plays out, this doesn't look good from the outside looking in

They wanted their chance to do this, and this incident was it. He's already prepared to sue the University. This is gonna drag out, and Marquette might end up regretting this decision.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
Uh huh. I disagree with McAdams' ideology, but termination of a tenured professor due to ideological differences is really wrong. It's not like Johnny was cranking out hate mail to the TA up in his office in the Wehr building.

The right answer was for MU to suck it up and wait out this guy's tenure. How old is he, 70? How much longer would he have been on campus anyway?  If you don't agree with his approach, don't tenure him in the unnatural carnal knowledgeing first place.

Did you not read Lovell's statement I posted? Nothing to do with ideology. It's about respect and accountability in the workplace, something McAdams has lacked for apparently decades.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »

My guess is that this is a decision made with significant input from enrollment and development. MU calculates that McAdams' presence impacts applications and donations and cuts bait. Which would be cool if he were an assistant professor or, ahem, a TA, but he's in neither of those roles. His tenure protects his right to both differ ideologically on gay marriage, as well as his ability to promote discourse on an issue that has nowhere near unanimous support in this country, outside the MU garden.

Two things, with tenure, he can stay on campus as long as he wants to.  Second, tenure is held extremely sacred by faculty, yet, overwhelmingly across the country faculty think he was in the wrong and are supportive of revoking his tenure.  

Tenure is sacred, but supporting the development of students is paramount to academia.  He violated the latter.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
Tenure is sacred, but supporting the development of students is paramount to academia.  He violated the latter.

+1.

Good to see others can see beyond the Fox News headlines on this.

Keeping McAdams after this would be the bigger detriment to MU's future. Lovell stepped up to the plate big time.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
Did you not read Lovell's statement I posted? Nothing to do with ideology. It's about respect and accountability in the workplace, something McAdams has lacked for apparently decades.

"I'll go with Taking PR Statements at Face Value for $2,000, Alex!"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Isn't Marquette the same University that withdrew a legitimate job offer to a compelling candidate for the Deanship because they learned she was a lesbian????

Death on call

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
This decision is absolutely indefensible for Marquette with respect to academic integrity.  Whatever one believes about the merits of gay marriage, it is unquestionably a legitimate topic for a philosophy of ethics class and a professor should have every right to comment on another instructor's handling of the issue.  
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »

"I'll go with Taking PR Statements at Face Value for $2,000, Alex!"

So you completely agree with a tenured professor attacking, berating and then completely outing a teaching assistant? Okay, buddy.

That's not the conduct Marquette should support from a tenured professor.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
So you completely agree with a tenured professor attacking, berating and then completely outing a teaching assistant? Okay, buddy.

That's not the conduct Marquette should support from a tenured professor.

Did you read his Nov 9 post?  If a TA can't handle that level of criticism they shouldn't be involved in academia...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

feedback