Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brandon Brown  (Read 43199 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Brandon Brown
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
How easy are JUCOs? I feel like a 3.7 GPA is pretty impressive. Personal issues aside, if those credits are able to rollover to MU that would be huge and I think the administration would allow it. 

This is the essence of the Juco issue at Marquette.  Many Jucos major in Phy Ed.  Marquette doesn't have a Phy Ed major.  So those credits transfer, but they don't count toward anything other than electives.  So you had a kid that did 60 credits of work, but maybe when all is said and done, 30 credits transfer which makes it nearly impossible to finish their degree in two years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 06:35:40 PM »
Isn't their a better option then a kid who served 2.5 years in prison for armed robbery?

So you would eliminate him from consideration based on this fact alone?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
Donald Driver dealt drugs and stole cars. If fans in this state can cheer for him, why not Brown?

Because he'd be going to Marquette, not UW-Madison.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
I doubt he comes to MU simply because not many Cali-Zona players (Juan excepted) come to MU.    However, as a philosophical exercise and an insight into Wojo (and the current MU administration), it will be interesting to see if he receives an actual offer, regardless of whether he accepts it.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »
So many of these opinions are so stereotypical or marquette being full of sheltered judgemental people and its pathetic.  Some of my best friends in boxing have done time for various things and all are trying to better themselves and stay out of trouble (except one idiot) but the original point of jail is rehabilitation and it seems by all accounts he was a stupid kid who deserves his shot to prove he's changed.  

If we'd all known that Jimmy butler had been homeless for awhile before he came to MU would we have been this judgemental over him?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:01:10 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »

This is the essence of the Juco issue at Marquette.  Many Jucos major in Phy Ed.  Marquette doesn't have a Phy Ed major.  So those credits transfer, but they don't count toward anything other than electives.  So you had a kid that did 60 credits of work, but maybe when all is said and done, 30 credits transfer which makes it nearly impossible to finish their degree in two years.

Exactly, that's why I'm saying if his credits transfer then I'm all for it. A Junior point guard is exactly what next years team needs.

I'm not worried about his past. Once upon a time MU allowed me a second chance, and I'm forever thankful that they did.
Bring back FFP!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »
Because he'd be going to Marquette, not UW-Madison.

I think DD would be a fine ambassador for any university or an outstanding spokesman for any charity.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
maybe we can get a couple manslaughter parolees for the 5 spot next year.   

I know we've fallen but are we this desperate?

Cura Personalis is hereby suspended in this case.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
So many of these opinions are so stereotypical or marquette being full of sheltered judgemental people and its pathetic.  Some of my best friends in boxing have done time for various things and all are trying to better themselves and stay out of trouble (except one idiot) but the original point of jail is rehabilitation and it seems by all accounts he was a stupid kid who deserves his shot to prove he's changed.  

If we'd all known that Jimmy butler had been homeless for awhile before he came to MU would we have been this judgemental over him?

"Being" homeless and "committing" armed robbery are not remotely the same thing.

I agree with your first paragraph though.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
He made a very big mistake.  He paid for it.  It sounds like he learned from it.

Many from similar backgrounds have had similar issues.  He can use his experience to hopefully help a lot of kids avoid the mistakes he made.

If Wojo has met him and feels he has put his past behind him, I am all for giving him a chance at MU and a chance to use that opportunity to continue to improve himself, but also work as a liaison to kids in difficult situations to help them avoid similar mistakes.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
Armed robbery to full ride?

I hope he is good then.

If this was buzz people would go nuts...over just the fact he's a juco.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »

That is why I am half rooting for Wojo to offer this guy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
Armed robbery to full ride?

I hope he is good then.

Armed robbery when he was 15. Lock him up for life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
Would the good Jesuit fathers give him a 2nd chance?

Have him sit down with Father Kelly.  Let him have some input.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
I doubt he comes to MU simply because not many Cali-Zona players (Juan excepted) come to MU.    However, as a philosophical exercise and an insight into Wojo (and the current MU administration), it will be interesting to see if he receives an actual offer, regardless of whether he accepts it.  

What the F are you talking bout?
Terry Reason baby, Terry Frickin Reason!

Oakland, CA.  360* dunks!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »

And Mike Davis, baby!   But that is 30 years ago. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »
Christ all-mighty.  The staff is evaluating numerous players right now for guard spots.  They are looking at high school, prep school and JUCO kids right now and are in full evaluation mode to find the best possible players for MU and it's the same old crap storm on this board.  We've seen 3 new names on Twitter in the last 24 hours in Brown, Trent and Ervin and I can guarantee another name will pop up in the next week. 

THEY ARE RECRUITING PEOPLE AND IN RECRUITING YOU LOOK INTO EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IF YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB!
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
Christ all-mighty.  The staff is evaluating numerous players right now for guard spots.  They are looking at high school, prep school and JUCO kids right now and are in full evaluation mode to find the best possible players for MU and it's the same old crap storm on this board.  We've seen 3 new names on Twitter in the last 24 hours in Brown, Trent and Ervin and I can guarantee another name will pop up in the next week. 

THEY ARE RECRUITING PEOPLE AND IN RECRUITING YOU LOOK INTO EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IF YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB!
I don't think I've ever heard you yell before Ted.

brandx

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »
Isn't their a better option then a kid who served 2.5 years in prison for armed robbery?

I think he should be punished the rest of his life for committing an act as a teenager.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

And the 'do

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
That is why I am half rooting for Wojo to offer this guy.   

I have no problem with JUCO's.  Bring in as many Crowders, Butlers, Buycks, DJOs, Fulces as you want, but no thanks to Brandon Brown. 

I'm glad he appears to be on the right track, but armed robbery does not equal full ride at my school.  This one is on par with Monterale Clark.  PASS.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »

So you would eliminate him from consideration based on this fact alone?

I don't think that would be all that unreasonable.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »
This one is on par with Monterale Clark.  PASS.

A 15 year old committing a crime followed by eight years of serving his time, being remorseful, taking school seriously, and working to show he's changed his life  ≠  A verbally committed recruit being convicted of rape and being hauled off to prison at the time he would have set foot on campus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
I have no problem with JUCO's.  Bring in as many Crowders, Butlers, Buycks, DJOs, Fulces as you want, but no thanks to Brandon Brown. 

I'm glad he appears to be on the right track, but armed robbery does not equal full ride at my school.  This one is on par with Monterale Clark.  PASS.

There's a difference between raping a woman when you're 20 and doing something insanely stupid when you're 15.  No excuses for the action, but when you're 15 you deserve a second chance.  My guess is he didn't act alone and probably was following the lead of someone, anyways.  Not that it makes any difference.  But you can't just lock a kid up for an armed robbery that occurred when he was 15.  He paid his price and has turned his life around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter