Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brandon Brown  (Read 43200 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Re: Brandon Brown
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
So many of these opinions are so stereotypical or marquette being full of sheltered judgemental people and its pathetic.  Some of my best friends in boxing have done time for various things and all are trying to better themselves and stay out of trouble (except one idiot) but the original point of jail is rehabilitation and it seems by all accounts he was a stupid kid who deserves his shot to prove he's changed.  

If we'd all known that Jimmy butler had been homeless for awhile before he came to MU would we have been this judgemental over him?

LOL.  You are equating homelessness with armed robbery?  That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Scoop!  And that is saying something.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
LOL.  You are equating homelessness with armed robbery?  That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Scoop!  And that is saying something.

Says the guy who just compared a 20 year old raping a woman to a 15 year old armed robbery.  Both are pretty horrible comparisons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
There's a difference between raping a woman when you're 20 and doing something insanely stupid when you're 15.  No excuses for the action, but when you're 15 you deserve a second chance.  My guess is he didn't act alone and probably was following the lead of someone, anyways.  Not that it makes any difference.  But you can't just lock a kid up for an armed robbery that occurred when he was 15.  He paid his price and has turned his life around.

Who said lock him up for life?  I hope he puts himself through school, gets a good paying job, and doesn't commit any more felonies.

But, that's a long way from earning a full ride to Marquette.  Getting a full ride to a great school is a privilege, not a second chance.  

He got his second chance the day he was let out of prison, nobody owes him anything.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »
Says the guy who just compared a 20 year old raping a woman to a 15 year old armed robbery.  Both are pretty horrible comparisons.

I didn't compare the offenses, I compared the decision MU has to make.  In both cases you wish the kid well, and offer the scholarship to a kid who makes better decisions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:05 PM »
Who said lock him up for life?  I hope he puts himself through school, gets a good paying job, and doesn't commit any more felonies.

But, that's a long way from earning a full ride to Marquette.  Getting a full ride to a great school is a privilege, not a second chance.  

He got his second chance the day he was let out of prison, nobody owes him anything.

Right, he got his second chance when he was let "out of prison." And right, a full scholarship is a privilege that is earned. He has earned it by learning his lesson, serving his punishment, turning his life around, and becoming a division 1 basketball prospect. A job is also a privilege that is earned. If we're going to say that someone who made a horrible decision when he was 15 will never again be deserving of a privilege like a full scholarship then why should he ever be deserving of a job?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:52:18 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »
A 15 year old committing a crime followed by eight years of serving his time, being remorseful, taking school seriously, and working to show he's changed his life  ≠  A verbally committed recruit being convicted of rape and being hauled off to prison at the time he would have set foot on campus.

Armed robbery is no joke.  Some here feel it is nothing more than a brief lapse in judgement by a teenager.

Clearly I should not have brought up Monterale Clark, I did not mean to equate armed robbery with rape.  
All I meant to say is Brown hasn't earned a scholarship.  

Again, I am glad he has things going in the right direction.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Right, he got his second chance when he was let "out of prison" (I would guarantee he's never been to prison given that he was 15 years old). And right, a full scholarship is a privilege that is earned. He has earned it by learning his lesson, serving his punishment, turning his life around, and becoming a division 1 basketball prospect. A job is also a privilege that is earned. If we're going to say that someone who made a horrible decision when he was 15 will never again be deserving of a privilege like a full scholarship then why should he ever be deserving of a job?

HUH?  
I was confused by your first sentence.  Your second sentence is true.  The third makes sense, although I disagree.  Your fourth is also true.  The last sentence is downright baffling.

I know you are looking for a fight, but I'm done here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:01:13 PM by 94Warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »
HUH?  
I was confused by your first sentence.  Your second sentence is true.  The third makes sense, although I disagree.  I also agree with your fourth sentence.  The last sentence is downright baffling?

I know you are looking for a fight, but I'm done here.

First sentence was edited, didn't see he was tried as an adult. Not looking for a fight at all, a job is a privilege. You have to earn a job. If the kid can't work his way back into good graces enough to receive a scholarship for his hard work then why should he be privileged with a job?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »
I'm all for second chances and it sounds like he has gone about it the right way, learning from his foolish mistake. Wish the young man nothing but the best as he works hard to take advantage of his second chance after an absolutely foolish mistake at a very young age. I for one, would love to see him follow through on his hard work in Blue & Gold the next few years!

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/14/phoenix-college-guard-takes-advantage-nd-chance/21788499/

You can stop with the branding of what he did as a "foolish mistake" more than once.  Let's call it what it was - armed robbery at gunpoint and serious criminal behavior.   Our society is way to quick to excuse and attach these idiotic euphemisms to such behavior, thus watering down the act and making it almost accepted behavior, i.e, "well gee, it was just a foolish mistake he/she made".    

NO THANK YOU.  Let someone else give this guy a second chance, if he's truly changed his ways, which is highly debatable.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 06:29:38 AM »
You can stop with the branding of what he did as a "foolish mistake" more than once.  Let's call it what it was - armed robbery at gunpoint and serious criminal behavior.   Our society is way to quick to excuse and attach these idiotic euphemisms to such behavior, thus watering down the act and making it almost accepted behavior, i.e, "well gee, it was just a foolish mistake he/she made".    

NO THANK YOU.  Let someone else give this guy a second chance, if he's truly changed his ways, which is highly debatable.

Except that it's not debatable.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »

Okay, so if he's truly learned from his crime, served his penance, not re-offended, and is a model student, teammate, and worthy player, shouldn't he be able to earn a scholarship to Marquette? The decision lies with the coaching staff, but I don't think someone should be forever punished for their actions as a teenager.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
Except that it's not debatable.

It's probably debatable, but not by us.  It's the coaching staff and administrations job to debate it and if they feel he's on the right path, and wish to help him further along that path, it should be good enough for us.

What gets at me is the "i'm glad he's turned his life around, let someone else continue to help him" attitude.  Seems very contradictory to the values (non religious) I was taught at Marquette.  I'd rather be the institution that, assuming that after having the aforementioned debate it's concluded he's on the right path, helps him.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2015, 07:35:13 AM »
You can stop with the branding of what he did as a "foolish mistake" more than once.  Let's call it what it was - armed robbery at gunpoint and serious criminal behavior.   Our society is way to quick to excuse and attach these idiotic euphemisms to such behavior, thus watering down the act and making it almost accepted behavior, i.e, "well gee, it was just a foolish mistake he/she made".   

NO THANK YOU.  Let someone else give this guy a second chance, if he's truly changed his ways, which is highly debatable.

As a Christian university, Marquette is actually the perfect place for someone to redeem themselves after serving their time, showing remorse, and building a new life for themselves.  What do you think the current Pope would say about him?

And I feel this way about all similar students.  Not just basketball players.  We can debate all we want about if it is appropriate to have 15 year olds treated as adults and put into prison.  However life is about forgiveness and starting over.  If the kid is truly remorseful, our job isn't to continue to push him back down, but to help him up.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

As a Christian university, Marquette is actually the perfect place for someone to redeem themselves after serving their time, showing remorse, and building a new life for themselves.  What do you think the current Pope would say about him?

And I feel this way about all similar students.  Not just basketball players.  We can debate all we want about if it is appropriate to have 15 year olds treated as adults and put into prison.  However life is about forgiveness and starting over.  If the kid is truly remorseful, our job isn't to continue to push him back down, but to help him up.

Let someone else do it.  We don't have to be the Oakland Raiders under Al Davis of college basketball.  Plenty of proven high character kids out there who can play at a very high level.  Buzz did enough bringing in kids with highly questionable characters.   Enough of that already. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »
This just in by Papal Decree:  Pope Francis has ex-communicated St. Paul!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
Let someone else do it.  We don't have to be the Oakland Raiders under Al Davis of college basketball.  Plenty of proven high character kids out there who can play at a very high level.  Buzz did enough bringing in kids with highly questionable characters.   Enough of that already. 

Real Christian attitude you have there.  Assuming you have a Marquette degree, you didn't listen very well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
This just in by Papal Decree:  Pope Francis has ex-communicated St. Paul!

I laughed
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2015, 08:17:40 AM »

Real Christian attitude you have there.  Assuming you have a Marquette degree, you didn't listen very well.

Mr. Holier than Thou - You know, I expressed my opinion.  You don't know me, and what I do except for being a rabid MU fan.  So don't judge me and put yourself on this pedastal.   I'll stop there -because I may not stop otherwise. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
LOL.  You are equating homelessness with armed robbery?  That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Scoop!  And that is saying something.

Wasn't comparing it was attempting to point out that you all sound like a bunch of wealthy sheltered suburbanites who excel at judging people who didn't come up the regular path in life and probably would have been all upset at us offering a homeless kid to despite his character.

The thing that I can't believe here is how quick you guys are judging a 24 year old for his 15yr old mistake.  I have to assume you guys were all model kids at 15 (and beyond) and never caused any trouble whatsoever that you could be judged for. Sure his teenage stupiditywas a more serious offense, well he also probably didn't grow up where it's uncommon or viewed very serious. I just can't believe that you guys think who you are when you're 15 should define you for life.
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »

94Warrior, you summed up my position perfectly.  Well stated.

But you better watch what you say, because Mr. 16,000 some odd posts and several others here who are the absolute models of Christian behavior, will tell you what a rotten human being you are.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:41:58 AM by HutchwasClutch »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2015, 08:24:12 AM »
Next man up. Actions have consequences, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »

Let someone else believe in forgiveness. Let someone else believe in redemption. Enough of that already. We're better than that! "Just judge, baby".

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »

Sunshine boy----------->gets it.

Jesuit mantra---------->who am I to judge.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
Isn't their a better option then a kid who served 2.5 years in prison for armed robbery?

Yes he served his time.  Key word is he served.

Does he fill a need?  YES
Can he play ball?  YES
Is he in good academic standing to get in?  YES

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
94, Hutch, etc.

Did you learn any Jesuit thinking at MU?

Wojo, his staff, The AD, Pres. Lovell, a Jesuit or two....will know more about this situation than you will.  If they agree the kid should have a 2nd chance he should get it.  That is a broad enough cast to ensure it will be a proper choice.

Stop yipping from the peanut gallery.

feedback