Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Heldt & Nick Noskowiak  (Read 16494 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Matt Heldt & Nick Noskowiak
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
Nick isn't playing at all & Heldt is playing at Neenah.

Personally I think both of them could use a redshirt. But with no depth, that likely isn't in the cards.

Who has seen either play recently?

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt & Nick Noskowiak
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Nobody has seen NN play recently.

Heldt has good size(thicker than you would think for a 6'10" kid from Neenah), good feet, and can shoot the mid range jumper.
He isn't the fastest guy that I have ever seen, however at this point for a big, I would rather have good footwork.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Nick is the more college-ready in terms of basketball. But, if he does make it to campus, a redshirt year might not be the worst thing for him as a person.

Heldt will turn into a nice player, and going up against Henry and Fischer in practice will definitely help him.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I wonder if NN even makes it to campus.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »

Heldt has good size(thicker than you would think for a 6'10" kid from Neenah), good feet, and can shoot the mid range jumper.
He isn't the fastest guy that I have ever seen, however at this point for a big, I would rather have good footwork.

http://youtu.be/K6HeN1hHvNc

This is from a couple months ago. He looks glued to the floor, is this video a fair assumption of his athleticism? For those who have seen Heldt play

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
He will be a nice back-up the next two years, possibly start as a junior.  10-15 minute guy next few years, good pick-up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »
I'm not sure what "and Heldt plays at Nennah" means but it seems like you mean to say his competition and team must suck. Neenah lost in the WIAA D1 State Championship and had a shot in the closing seconds to tie Germantown, whose 3rd straight State Title that was and who lost I believe a total of 3 games in those 3 years. Neenah is once again ranked right near the top of the state and played Germantown in a very close game earlier this year. Him playing for Neenah is a good thing not a bad thing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Matt Heldt is exactly the type of player we've been mocking the Badgers for recruiting over the last 15 years.

That means he'll probably look like a goof for the first two years, become a solid role player his junior season with fantastic fundamentals, and then somehow average 14 and 7 his senior year, while knocking down several game-winning 3 point shots against all the teams whose fans made fun of him on their message boards.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
As of right now, with Heldt and Noskowiak and assuming no transfers, MU has a 10-man roster for next year.
Redshirting them leaves 8.
Does anyone think that's a good idea?
Maybe a redshirt would benefit one or both, but it's absolutely not an option.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
I'm not sure what "and Heldt plays at Nennah" means but it seems like you mean to say his competition and team must suck. Neenah lost in the WIAA D1 State Championship and had a shot in the closing seconds to tie Germantown, whose 3rd straight State Title that was and who lost I believe a total of 3 games in those 3 years. Neenah is once again ranked right near the top of the state and played Germantown in a very close game earlier this year. Him playing for Neenah is a good thing not a bad thing.

And Sandy Cohen played at Seymour, and is progressing just fine as a freshman.  Many of these guys play so much top level AAU ball that it is almost irrelevant where they play high school.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »
Matt Heldt is exactly the type of player we've been mocking the Badgers for recruiting over the last 15 years.

That means he'll probably look like a goof for the first two years, become a solid role player his junior season with fantastic fundamentals, and then somehow average 14 and 7 his senior year, while knocking down several game-winning 3 point shots against all the teams whose fans made fun of him on their message boards.

This is so true

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
As of right now, with Heldt and Noskowiak and assuming no transfers, MU has a 10-man roster for next year.

Agreed.  Heldt is going to have to give 10 mpg as a back up next year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »

No chance of red-shirting, maybe NN if he is not healthy enough, no one really knows his situation, just hope he will fine.  If MU finds 2 more players redshirting might be a possibility.  For Heldt
they will need a back-up.  Fisher, Heldt, then Ellenson, Taylor as PF, need a big in 2016.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
But our roster won't be at 10 when all is said and done.

We obviously need to see what Wojo does with the 3 available scholarships. I think a redshirt year would be of value to Heldt but if we don't sign a juco or grad transfer big that isn't going to happen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
But our roster won't be at 10 when all is said and done.

We obviously need to see what Wojo does with the 3 available scholarships. I think a redshirt year would be of value to Heldt but if we don't sign a juco or grad transfer big that isn't going to happen.

Maybe, maybe not. Wojo has said repeatedly that he only intends to sign kids he believes can help the team win, not just to fill scholarships.
That said, at this point in the process do you think there's much likelihood that MU signs 2-3 kids ready to contribute any quicker than a couple of top 100ish recruits? Perhaps a JUCO or two, but that's no guarantee. Even then, that's a 9 or 10-man roster. Still far from ideal.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
Every year someone here says so and so freshman should red shirt, and then they don't.  It is not going to happen, and there is really no reason for it. 

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »
Every year someone here says so and so freshman should red shirt, and then they don't.  It is not going to happen, and there is really no reason for it. 

I'm trying to decide which myth I see more, "This freshman should redshirt" or "I heard these two recruits are a package deal"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »

I agree, but think he will provide some solid back up minutes and hopefully progresses quicker.  Either way, Wojo's plan as some discussed early, is not to try to create a team on a short term basis and pull in players each year.  It will be a change from what we are used to, but it will be team building over time. It should result in fewer characters and a longer term outlook than year to year.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »

This is from a couple months ago. He looks glued to the floor, is this video a fair assumption of his athleticism? For those who have seen Heldt play

Mid-range jumper is nice.  Other than Novak, who while 6-10 didn't really play post, who was the last big that had that?  Davante could occasionally hit one but wasn't really a threat to the extent that he brought the defense out to him.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
Its time to put "Redshirting Players" idea on the curb with the garbage, right next to "Banking Scholarships".

A planned non-injury redshirt will almost never occur for the same reason banking scholarships almost never occurs--a coach today is never going to give up on the chance that a player can help a team win THIS YEAR--no matter how slight--in exchange for the mere possibility that they'll help four or five years down the road.  

Next, if you redshirt a player, he uses a scholarship, but doesn't play.  That means a coach is penalizing himself in the same way the NCAA does when it takes away a scholarship.  Oh, you save the effort recruiting a player for the following year, but next year there will be plenty of players available who are ready next year.

And don't trot out the "he'll get better with a year" excuse.  EVERY player will get better with an extra year. If that's your reasoning, then why not redshirt  Ellenson?  AFter all, he'll be even better in 2017 with a year to acclimate to college ball, won't he?  And that way we may still have him then in 2020.  Why not redshirt Cheatham?  Same reason.  He'll get better if he sits out a year...See how easy that is?  EVERY player will get better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
Assuming Nick plays at MU next year, both will play unless Wojo lands a JUCO big, wing, and PG.    Heldt is going to be a 10-12 mpg back up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »

If you are referring to my post--that is not what I said.  I said he is THICKER than most 6'10" kids.  Kids who are 6'10" usually tend to be very thin and cannot do much underneath until they put on some weight.  MH has a little bulk already.

Never said he sucks.  Never said Neenah sucks. Never said playing for Neenah is a bad thing. Unclear where you got this.

Only thing I said was that he is thicker than most kids his size.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

Yes.  Good bball IQ though, so he makes up for alot of his defiencies with his positioning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
If you are referring to my post--that is not what I said.  I said he is THICKER than most 6'10" kids.  Kids who are 6'10" usually tend to be very thin and cannot do much underneath until they put on some weight.  MH has a little bulk already.

Never said he sucks.  Never said Neenah sucks. Never said playing for Neenah is a bad thing. Unclear where you got this.

Only thing I said was that he is thicker than most kids his size.

Sorry thought I quoted it but guess not, but I was referring to the original post in this thread.  Warrior Pride makes it seem as though Heldt playing for Neenah means his competition is bad and his team is bad when he says "Noskowiak isn't playing and Heldt goes to Neenah."  Neenah plays the highest competition in Wisconsin and over the last 2 years has been 1 of the 2 best programs at the D1 level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:50 AM »

And Sandy Cohen played at Seymour, and is progressing just fine as a freshman.  Many of these guys play so much top level AAU ball that it is almost irrelevant where they play high school.

Except AAU ball doesn't matter Sultan - particularly when giving a boost to a player like JJJ's recruiting ranking.  Didn't you just offer up this gem a few weeks ago:

I spent some time last night going back and reading up on his recruitment.  I came across an article like this:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/high-school/recruiting-insider-southwind-junior-explodes-a

He was a 2013 unranked prospect until the summer before his senior year, who exploded on the scene due to his AAU performance - a type of game that likely fit his skills.  

This is the problem with players like this.  We can hope and pray that they are "late-bloomers" (like we are with Sacar Anim), but oftentimes they turnout to simply have gotten real good at the right time in a moment that fit their skills.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013