[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 4 ,on 5  (Read 32471 times)

Class71

• All American
Re: 4 ,on 5
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
May wish to watch the full game next time and both ends of the court.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
If you really believe he is one of "our best players", then that explains a lot.

Yeah, explains that he's watching the game. Derrick is one of our best players. That's a big part of the problem. He's certainly better than most of the top 100 recruits on the roster.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
Yeah, explains that he's watching the game. Derrick is one of our best players. That's a big part of the problem. He's certainly better than most of the top 100 recruits on the roster.
LMAO
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »
Derrick goes for 6 pts, 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover, apparently holds Jones to 1-12 from the floor (giving up 6 inches in height)  and people are still complaining?     Good lord.   Find a new pinata.   

^This.  Some people on this board don't seem to understand that there are two ends on the basketball court.  Derrick completely outplayed Butler's best player, bested him in every category while holding him to 1 for 12 shooting...and that is the guy they pinpoint?  Not the fact that out interior players, mostly Luke, gave up 30 to a much shorter player? 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
^This.  Some people on this board don't seem to understand that there are two ends on the basketball court.  Derrick completely outplayed Butler's best player, bested him in every category while holding him to 1 for 12 shooting...and that is the guy they pinpoint?  Not the fact that out interior players, mostly Luke, gave up 30 to a much shorter player?  

Agreed.  If we were playing 4 on 5, it was because our 6'11" center let a 6'7" guy have a career game today.  Luke had 12 pts and 6 rebs, while the guy he "guarded" went off for 30 and 8.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:10:59 PM by GooooMarquette »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
LMAO

Okay, I'll entertain you. Who's better than Derrick?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
Between willie's opinion of Buzz and his opinion of Derrick, you can tell why everyone views him like Scoop's homeless guy raving in the alley. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
I deal with homeless guys raving in the alley on a regular basis.   Don't insult them like that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
I deal with homeless guys raving in the alley on a regular basis.   Don't insult them like that. 

QIA

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »

Boom.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Derrick has no offensive game whatsoever. His stats are hollow and anybody who played as many minutes as he does, would be able to accumulate the points and assists he does. He has made improvements on offense this year, but he is still dreadful. He is fine on defense, but imo he is still a liability overall. To say he's one of the best players on the team, great...that's really nothing to hang your hat on.

connie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
Derrick goes for 6 pts, 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover, apparently holds Jones to 1-12 from the floor (giving up 6 inches in height)  and people are still complaining?     Good lord.   Find a new pinata.   
Seriously, wtf more do people want?  Tell me, because I am sick of this.  What numbers does Derrick have to post to shut people up?  
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
To say he's one of the best players on the team, great...that's really nothing to hang your hat on.

That is kind of the point of why the team is 10-11 right now.   You can count on Carlino shooting (though they may not go in).  You can count on Derrick's effort on defense and taking care of the ball, knowing his assignment, busting his hind end.    There is absolutely nothing else about this team other than the above listed things that you can count on on a game-to-game basis.     Derrick ISN'T that talented.    Once again, stop blaming Derrick.    Blame the other players who haven't stepped up and taken his minutes the last two years.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
Wojo had it right for a minute in the second half when he ran Duane, Carlino, JJJ, Juan and Luke.

27-26 record last season and this. Coming off Sweet 16, 16, Elite 8. More Top 100 talent in the program than any time in last 35 years and the same group refuses to either assign blame to the coaches or Derrick.

Is he better this year?  Yes. A little. But he was historically awful last year.  Find me a team where you PG played 33 minutes per game, shoots 45 percent from the FT line, had made a total of 8, 3 point shots through 21 games and has not made ONE 2 point FG other than layups at the basket.  And some want to say this is one of our best players??  Give someone else 33 minutes a game and I guarantee you you can get 6 points a game and 4 rebounds and a few assists.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
Seriously, wtf more do people want?  Tell me, because I am sick of this.  What numbers does Derrick have to post to shut people up?  

For the anti-Derrick crowd, it doesn't matter. People like Wojo'sMojo, willie, Ners, there is nothing Derrick could do. He could average 20 ppg the rest of the way and they'd still say there was something wrong with him.

He is a smart and efficient scorer that plays within himself, finds his teammates for assists, doesn't turn the ball over, and plays good defense. Further, he's clearly not the most talented guy in D1, but he's a very smart player that knows how to play the game.

I expect that in the next 5-10 years he'll either be playing a successful career in Europe where his attributes will be more appreciated or he will get an early start on a coaching career. I'd be very happy to see him return in a grad assistant role or something similar to what Diener is doing. To do as well as he had considering how much more natural talent most of the guys he is going up against have is a testament to just how valuable he is on the court.

FWIW...the only guy I'd say that has been better than him this year, and this is debatable, is Carlino. Juan, Fischer, Steve, Jajuan, Cohen, all certainly not, and all top-100 players. Duane has been too erratic to be better than Derrick. He's one of the two best players on our team. You can disagree, but you'd be wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »
A select really clueless posters are showing their true colors in this thread.  They know 1 thing, putting the ball in the hoop, no matter how many shots it takes, how many turnovers they have, how much they lack in every other phase of the game.  If they aren't scoring, then they are worthless to them.  AKA, they have absolutely no knowledge of the game whatsoever.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
A select really clueless posters are showing their true colors in this thread.  They know 1 thing, putting the ball in the hoop, no matter how many shots it takes, how many turnovers they have, how much they lack in every other phase of the game.  If they aren't scoring, then they are worthless to them.  AKA, they have absolutely no knowledge of the game whatsoever.

Lol, go count your participation ribbons.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »

Talk about something you know about like volleyball. You want to know what's clueless??  When those of you who champion defense and basketball had two sides of the court don't realize that your defensive talented lineup isn't getting it done. Didn't win last year. Isn't wining this year. But lets keep banging our heads against this defense first approach that continues to lose.  The individual defensive talent isn't nearly as powerful to a team as is how the total and complete lack of any offensive ability at the most critical position on the floor (PG) compounds problems for your whole team. Watch the last 5 minutes of Butler again and observe Derrbrick "orchestrating" our offense into an abyss of nothing.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
It must make people feel real big insulting and criticizing some 21 year old kid who is playing his guts out and has conducted himself with class and integrity throughout his time at Marquette.    

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »

Wades - What are your qualifications with regard to "knowledge" of the game. Share with the board your experience that makes you so incredibly qualified to assert expertise.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »
Wades - What are your qualifications with regard to "knowledge" of the game. Share with the board your experience that makes you so incredibly qualified to assert expertise.

I played a lot of NBA Jam as a kid. Still think Wojo should have called for the Helicopter Slam at the end of the game.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »
[/quote

If were all clueless why is it in the last 5 minutes of a game a point guard brings you nothing, did you watch Duke tonight?   The point is key in college, particularly the last 5 minutes, what has Derrick shown during those minutes?  Free throws, a three, a jump shoot, nothing, great kid but it is all about winning

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
The only time we are truly playing 4 on 5 is when JjJ is on the court.  Derrick may not be the best, but it's not like we have better options.

Including JjJ's great games, his season stats are:

MIN   PPG   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TPG   FG%   FT%   3P%
19.9   7.4   2.7   1.7   1.1   0.4   1.7   .403   .743   .159

He went 1-3 today with 2pts....that's it.  Sandy wasn't great either but he's at least shown something all season to deserve more minutes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
If were all clueless why is it in the last 5 minutes of a game a point guard brings you nothing, did you watch Duke tonight?   The point is key in college, particularly the last 5 minutes, what has Derrick shown during those minutes?  Free throws, a three, a jump shoot, nothing, great kid but it is all about winning

Same could be said about the rest of the team in the last 4 minutes....why on god's green earth are we complaining about Derrick again?  This game was definitely about coaching, go after Wojo on this one, Derrick didn't do anything to get ridiculed for.  Just goes to show how reflexive the "Derrick is the worst player to exist" crowd has gotten.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."