Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sacar Anim  (Read 161039 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: Sacar Anim
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2015, 02:07:06 AM »
Wasn't sure where a good place to put it would be, but I think I know who Wojo's biggest target is aside from Sacar: Traci Carter.  I was told that Wojo has made multiple trips to Philly (where Carter lives) "trying to find us a PG".  And because I am in college I feel comfortable looking into the Twitter tea leaves.  Wojo just recently followed Traci on Twitter, just posted a little while ago how he's been on the road for 3 straight days recruiting, and has "favorited" a few of Traci's recent tweets (knowing that isn't that weird when it's one of the main things that pops up on someone's Twit profile).  To put that in perspective, Wojo frequently favorites tweets from Henry, Haanif, and current players on the team.  Maybe that's a way for him to express interest in someone, connect, I don't know.

What I do know is that Traci looks like a total stud.  Has offers from plenty of great high majors and looks to be the best HS PG prospect left.  We haven't offered yet I don't think but I would expect that to change in the near future.  Won't be easy to lure Traci away as it looks like he's a UCONN lean at the moment, but he looks like the kinda guy who can come in and contribute from the get-go - I'd imagine Wojo is selling him on the fact that he gets the keys right away.  I'm sure his highlights and info have been posted before but I thought I'd bump it considering we are all clamoring for a PG.  Here are some of his highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBT3CqS5C20

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:56 AM »
I would love to see us get Carter. Though with UConn, Pitt, NC State, Memphis, SMU, FSU, and Tennessee all involved, it will be a battle. The real worry for me is Louisville. They haven't offered, but Carter has visited there and his coach is UL legend Pervis Ellison. Love to see Wojo get a visit and commit, but it won't be easy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2015, 04:58:30 AM »
Wasn't sure where a good place to put it would be, but I think I know who Wojo's biggest target is aside from Sacar: Traci Carter.  I was told that Wojo has made multiple trips to Philly (where Carter lives) "trying to find us a PG".  And because I am in college I feel comfortable looking into the Twitter tea leaves.  Wojo just recently followed Traci on Twitter, just posted a little while ago how he's been on the road for 3 straight days recruiting, and has "favorited" a few of Traci's recent tweets (knowing that isn't that weird when it's one of the main things that pops up on someone's Twit profile).  To put that in perspective, Wojo frequently favorites tweets from Henry, Haanif, and current players on the team.  Maybe that's a way for him to express interest in someone, connect, I don't know.

What I do know is that Traci looks like a total stud.  Has offers from plenty of great high majors and looks to be the best HS PG prospect left.  We haven't offered yet I don't think but I would expect that to change in the near future.  Won't be easy to lure Traci away as it looks like he's a UCONN lean at the moment, but he looks like the kinda guy who can come in and contribute from the get-go - I'd imagine Wojo is selling him on the fact that he gets the keys right away.  I'm sure his highlights and info have been posted before but I thought I'd bump it considering we are all clamoring for a PG.  Here are some of his highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBT3CqS5C20

Thanks onepostellenson. Very interesting. Traci has a great game and would be perfect to run this team. Kid hates to lose.  I believe we already have offered, which is a good thing.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=46442.msg697257;topicseen
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2015, 05:07:08 AM »
Thanks onepostellenson. Very interesting. Traci has a great game and would be perfect to run this team. Kid hates to lose.  I believe we already have offered, which is a good thing.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=46442.msg697257;topicseen

Some debate on that. Adam Zagoria said we did in an article but it never came out from any other sources before or since. If Wojo had made an offer, either someone in Carter's camp or our local media likely would have put that out on Twitter.

Regardless, I'd take Carter over any freshman point left in this class. I know Marcus LoVett has a little more name recognition, but that seems like a huge buyer beware situation. Carter looks like the type that could come in and play from day one.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:48 AM »
Scout.com had a top 5 PG available article a week or two ago.  Carter was #2 behind Lovett.  It was before the NN release so he's probably right up there.  FWIW, Scout ranks Lovett #14, NN #15, and Carter #18 among PG.  Carter is a 4-star player just outside the top 100.

Would love Carter and Anim.  Then get a grad transfer or two while keeping an eye on the traditional transfer market.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:15:02 AM by Lazars Headband »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
I would love to see us get Carter. Though with UConn, Pitt, NC State, Memphis, SMU, FSU, and Tennessee all involved, it will be a battle. The real worry for me is Louisville. They haven't offered, but Carter has visited there and his coach is UL legend Pervis Ellison. Love to see Wojo get a visit and commit, but it won't be easy.

With Ryan McMahon commiting last week, Louisville is currently overcommitted by 1. I suppose both Harrell and Rozier are talented enough to pro if they wanted to. If they did, Louisville will be in dire need of a PG for the future.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
Some debate on that. Adam Zagoria said we did in an article but it never came out from any other sources before or since. If Wojo had made an offer, either someone in Carter's camp or our local media likely would have put that out on Twitter.

Regardless, I'd take Carter over any freshman point left in this class. I know Marcus LoVett has a little more name recognition, but that seems like a huge buyer beware situation. Carter looks like the type that could come in and play from day one.

It would be very simple to tell Carter that he can start from day 1, add Amin and Carter and you could be finished with recruiting, and maybe a transfer shows up in April.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
It would be very simple to tell Carter that he can start from day 1, add Amin and Carter and you could be finished with recruiting, and maybe a transfer shows up in April.

Simple to say, but you don't want to give a guy the impression that starting or a major role is guaranteed. Seems Burton thought he'd be a major contributor and when his play didn't warrant it left instead of trying to earn time back. Hate to see that happen again.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Simple to say, but you don't want to give a guy the impression that starting or a major role is guaranteed. Seems Burton thought he'd be a major contributor and when his play didn't warrant it left instead of trying to earn time back. Hate to see that happen again.

You don't want to promise him anything, but certainly make him aware of the fact that a) the roster as it exists today has no clear starter at point guard heading into 2015-16 and b)  if he commits to MU, Wojo won't be recruiting another point guard for next season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
You don't want to promise him anything, but certainly make him aware of the fact that a) the roster as it exists today has no clear starter at point guard heading into 2015-16 and b)  if he commits to MU, Wojo won't be recruiting another point guard for next season.

I think that's a very reasonable approach.  The 'promise' is that I won't recruit over you this spring, not that you'll get anything handed to you next year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Yeah, but if Nic Moore is suddenly available you can't recruit him without going back on your word. Recruiting is a fluid landscape. Never wise to make promises that could change with the blowing off the wind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »
Yeah, but if Nic Moore is suddenly available you can't recruit him without going back on your word. Recruiting is a fluid landscape. Never wise to make promises that could change with the blowing off the wind.

I'm willing to take the risk of missing out on Moore - a one-year player who's not even available at this point, much less likely transfer to Marquette - for a borderline top 100 high school kid like Carter.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2015, 06:54:05 PM »

When you see veterans in front of you for an entire season, and then another half season - on court play not warranting 30+ minutes every f'in game - you decide to say f it - I'll take my talents elsewhere.

I applaud Deonte and Dawson for leaving versus sticking around and getting a butt pounding from Wojo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Baloney. When Novak was benched his junior year, he was not very happy. He vowed to work even harder to get back his starting position--and he did. I think departing is a kitten's way out of adversity. The fact that Burton left tells me his people weren't very tough (can't throw Deonte under the bus because he lost his mom). Same situation with Jeronne Maymon and Odartey Blankson. I am glad they left because I don't want those type of people around our program. Same can be said of Buzz.

When you see veterans in front of you for an entire season, and then another half season - on court play not warranting 30+ minutes every f'in game - you decide to say f it - I'll take my talents elsewhere.

I applaud Deonte and Dawson for leaving versus sticking around and getting a butt pounding from Wojo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
So....I hear Sacar Anim has a campus visit tomorrow
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
So....I hear Sacar Anim has a campus visit tomorrow

Wojo said he did 3 days straight of on-the-road recruiting. Outside of O'Field I am curious who else he was working on. Anyone have other names?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:28 PM »
Baloney. When Novak was benched his junior year, he was not very happy. He vowed to work even harder to get back his starting position--and he did. I think departing is a kitten's way out of adversity. The fact that Burton left tells me his people weren't very tough (can't throw Deonte under the bus because he lost his mom). Same situation with Jeronne Maymon and Odartey Blankson. I am glad they left because I don't want those type of people around our program. Same can be said of Buzz.

This would be a nice analogy on Novak, if it were apples to apples to what Burton experienced.  Burton: 1) Never was a starter. 2) Even if Burton were benched from being a starter, he still did not go on to play 73.5% of all minutes available...as did Novak as a junior.  3)Burton was benched behind a guy, Juan Anderson, who as a junior was totally and completely inferior to Burton as a player in EVERY area other than perhaps on-ball defense and rebounding.

Last year's team struggled mightily on the offensive end.  Playing Burton 30.5% of the minutes available was egregious on Buzz, and Wojo didn't do much better this year playing him 16 minutes per game while the team struggled to a 4-4 record.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brandx

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
I think that's a very reasonable approach.  The 'promise' is that I won't recruit over you this spring, not that you'll get anything handed to you next year.

Yup, That's the way to do it - and usually the way it is done. There's no way you can guarantee a high school player a starting spot next year but you let him know, it is his to lose - as you said, you won't recruit over him.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Let's take a look at Burtons stats:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66167/deonte-burton

Minutes up, points down, rebounds down, assists down, blocks same, steals up, fouls slightly up, turnovers up, FG% roughly same, 3 FG% about same in very small sample size, FT% up nicely but small sample size as a soph.

So despite more averaging more minutes, Deonte's stats are mostly the same or worse.  I give him a pass for him losing his mother but I don't have a problem with how much PT Wojo gave him.  Deonte was worse this year than last year.  No other way to spin it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Losing Burton hurt and still hurts. He's got an excellent future ahead of him. Wish he would have started and gotten more run immediately from Wojo and wish he was still here.

I'm fine with how Wojo operated with regard to Burton, but it was against my wishes.

Huge loss.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
How 'bout that Sacar Anim?!?!?!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
This would be a nice analogy on Novak, if it were apples to apples to what Burton experienced.  Burton: 1) Never was a starter. 2) Even if Burton were benched from being a starter, he still did not go on to play 73.5% of all minutes available...as did Novak as a junior.  3)Burton was benched behind a guy, Juan Anderson, who as a junior was totally and completely inferior to Burton as a player in EVERY area other than perhaps on-ball defense and rebounding.

Aren't those two pretty big areas?   

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »

Minutes up, points down, rebounds down, assists down, blocks same, steals up, fouls slightly up, turnovers up, FG% roughly same, 3 FG% about same in very small sample size, FT% up nicely but small sample size as a soph.

So despite more averaging more minutes, Deonte's stats are mostly the same or worse.  I give him a pass for him losing his mother but I don't have a problem with how much PT Wojo gave him.  Deonte was worse this year than last year.  No other way to spin it.

How about this spin?  Even in these slightly regressed stats from freshman year, how does Deonte Burton stack up next to either of Derrick Wilson or Juan Anderson?  The point that some can't seem to grasp is Burton could have been playing 30+ per game taking minutes from primarily Derrick and a few from Juan, and Burton is a FAR more talented resource on the roster than was Derrick or Juan.

You don't need to play a lineup with essentially 3, PGs simultaneously.  Derrick was the least talented of Matt and Duane.  Reduce his minutes.  Think this team might have fared a little better?:

Carlino
Duane
Burton
Juan/Steve
Luke

And PS - I wouldn't draw the conclusion that 8 games of stats as a sophomore suggests Deonte was going to be a worse player as a sophomore than a freshman.  But, if you want to say Deonte was worse this year - okay - but then at what point does some of that fall on Wojo?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »

Not only that, he was a turnover waiting to happen everytime he got the ball, put his head down way to often to tried to get to the hoop, and failed.  A real black whole, game was out of control, it will be interesting to see how Hoiberg uses him at ISU.  McKay did not want to play center at MU, at ISU playing center, at least Buzz new his talent and where he belonged, the handlers see probably small forward which he is not.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
Aren't those two pretty big areas?   

Sure they are - but when you look at rebounding rate between the two - 18.1% to 10.9% in favor of Juan, that isn't enough of a benefit to offset ALL of the limitations Juan had offensively comparative to Deonte.  Plus Juan turned the ball over at a 24.2% rate compared to Burton at 14.4%

On a team that struggled mightily with Derrick and Jake playing 30+ minutes, you needed a guy like Burton who had far more offensive talent than Juan.  And for as bad of on-ball defender as Deonte was - he stole the ball at an incredibly high rate due to having great defensive instincts in passing lanes (along with his 7' wingspan), and also blocked shots at a high rate 4.1% (2nd best on the team next to Otules 6.4%)

feedback