Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 30346 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »
Derrick in at crunch time had nothing to do with this game. Not a strong perfromance from him tonight however.
I look at crunch time as the final 10 minutes of the game. Maybe a bad wording. We needed an offensive threat other than Carlino.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »
Live by the Carlino, die by the Carlino

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »
If derrick and juan are gonna play 51 Minutes combined and come up with 0 points....

The results will be similar in wins and losses going forward.
Completely agree.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
Derrick actually sat more during the last 10 minutes than usual.    But nobody other than Carlino and Cohen looked like they really wanted the ball.   I can't wait until Cohen is strong enough to finish those drives.   Or starts getting a little respect from the refs.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »
Wojo needs to let Duane and JJ off the leash….. the season is going nowhere and Derrick and Juan are horrible. Let the future play more minutes, especially in crunch time.
Completely agree.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 09:11:26 PM »
I am huge sandy Cohen fan. Guy is fearless and he showed it again tonight

Agreed.  Definitely has a bright future at MU.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
Derrick actually sat more during the last 10 minutes than usual.    But nobody other than Carlino and Cohen looked like they really wanted the ball.   I can't wait until Cohen is strong enough to finish those drives.   Or starts getting a little respect from the refs.  
Would be nice if Duane had the attitude he had earlier in the year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
13 blocked shots by SJU, crazy.

Not enough Du. Wilson in closing minutes, he sat.  

Taylor should not be allowed to take a three, good to see him make some short ones.

MU has the ugliest turnovers in Div I ball.........mind blowing really

Just a plain, ugly game by both sides.  

connie

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
I have two thoughts:

1. This team is playing very hard.

2. This team just doesn't have the horses.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

chapman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
Juan's last three games are just ugly: 88 minutes, 3-19, two free throws, 10 turnovers.  Too bad no one else can rebound with any consistency.

Not enough Du. Wilson in closing minutes, he sat.  

Yep, need to have him in at that time.  The offense was Carlino chucking, if he could get a shot off being the sole focus.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
I have two thoughts:

1. This team is playing very hard.

2. This team just doesn't have the horses.
Yep.  Missing pieces.  But, still  very competitive on the road.  Not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
1. Matt - very good
2. Steve - good
3. Sandy - ok
4-7. Derrick, Duane, Luke JJJ - bad
8. Juan - really bad

Team grade - D - St John's was awful, we were a smidge worse. Good effort, need better horses.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:36:49 PM by Lennys Tap »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »
Wojo needs to let Duane and JJ off the leash….. the season is going nowhere and Derrick and Juan are horrible. Let the future play more minutes, especially in crunch time.

Duane starts, played 22 minutes, and shot the ball nine times.  I wouldn't say he is on the leash at all.

JJJ's problem is that he does some good things, and then follows it with multiple bad things.  Sandy's 27 minutes show that Wojo isn't holding players back for the sake of it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »

JJJ's problem is that he does some good things, and then follows it with multiple bad things.  

Yep.  Had that highlight reel dunk, but was otherwise 0-4.  Not exactly the way to get more minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
Derrick had 0 points, 3 assists, and 3 turnovers. You cannot win in college basketball when your pg plays that many minutes and puts up stats like that. Just dreadful. On a positive note, Cohen and Carlino had impressive performances and Steve seemed to have more energy and bounce in his step than I've seen in awhile. Next year can't come soon enough!

He wasn't good by any means, but Derrick had 6 assists, not 3.  And 7 rebounds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
Juan had his least minutes of the year.  Derrick had his least in the BE season.  When other players step up, Wojo will play them.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »

Duane starts, played 22 minutes, and shot the ball nine times.  I wouldn't say he is on the leash at all.

JJJ's problem is that he does some good things, and then follows it with multiple bad things.  Sandy's 27 minutes show that Wojo isn't holding players back for the sake of it.
I think the biggest problem we have is that there is no traditional style point guard who can take charge and make people around him better. The more I watch this team I realize that several players have exceptional skills ,that can be exploited for our benefit,but that they need some one to set the play up to make it happen for them.  Duane JJJ and Sandy would all benefit from a real point guard. Carlino is more of a 2 who can pass on occasion. Derrick is what Derrick is. I keep hoping for a magic rotation that will click but I think it keeps coming back to a lack of quarterback.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 09:49:43 PM »
Juan had his least minutes of the year.  Derrick had his least in the BE season.  When other players step up, Wojo will play them.

Which is weird. Because I thought once these two stopped playing as much, we would do SOOO much better. And the results are in...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
I think the biggest problem we have is that there is no traditional style point guard who can take charge and make people around him better. The more I watch this team I realize that several players have exceptional skills ,that can be exploited for our benefit,but that they need some one to set the play up to make it happen for them.  Duane JJJ and Sandy would all benefit from a real point guard. Carlino is more of a 2 who can pass on occasion. Derrick is what Derrick is. I keep hoping for a magic rotation that will click but I think it keeps coming back to a lack of quarterback.

Among other things, I totally agree with you. Much the same as the problems we had last year. And, like last year, to this point there isn't a better option. Which is sad for many reasons.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
I think the biggest problem we have is that there is no traditional style point guard who can take charge and make people around him better. The more I watch this team I realize that several players have exceptional skills ,that can be exploited for our benefit,but that they need some one to set the play up to make it happen for them.  Duane JJJ and Sandy would all benefit from a real point guard. Carlino is more of a 2 who can pass on occasion. Derrick is what Derrick is. I keep hoping for a magic rotation that will click but I think it keeps coming back to a lack of quarterback.

And don't disagree.  There isn't anyone on this roster that is a traditional PG for next year either.  That is why Wojo is looking at Jucos IMO.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
The entire team was pretty bad outside of Carlino and Taylor.  That said, Fischer's pathetic conference play continues and has cost us another game.  I knew his weaknesses would get exposed when conference play began (despite the delusions from this board), but it's worse six games in than it was against DePaul.  I'll be happy if his career ceiling is that of Otule at this point.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
I keep hoping for a magic rotation that will click but I think it keeps coming back to a lack of quarterback.

Our QB may not be Aaron Rodgers, but it doesn't help when your running backs are fumblers, your receivers run the wrong routes and your O line can't block.

brandx

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »

2.  Welcome back, freshman year, Steve!   Now get consistent.

Steve may have made the two worst plays of the game:

1. Left Obepka alone on the baseline with under 2 minutes to play for an easy dunk that put SJU up by 3. (He left his position to double-team away from the ball.)

2. Let Obepka get inside position on a SJU miss with under 30 seconds to play - the single most important play of the game.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:02:57 PM by brandx »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

And don't disagree.  There isn't anyone on this roster that is a traditional PG for next year either.  That is why Wojo is looking at Jucos IMO.
We need to find the best Juco PG we can possibly find and hope that we can get him admitted. Also , I would not be surprised to see Wojo experiment with Henry as PG against the Cupcakes next year.