Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 30345 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
Completely agree.
But not going to happen. Carlino will be allowed to swish 3 straight and then play out of control, throwing up two straight airballs. Very good shooter, but has no clue when not to gun.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:21 AM »
Duane looks to my uneducated eye like he could be a fantastic point guard. What am I missing that you all see?
Nothing. You are seeing and observing. Others are blinded by their Derrick glasses. Since this season is already a rebuild, why not try him for long stretches at PG to see how it goes? He is going to be here next year, the elite one will be gone. Besides Wojo can always play Derrick at the 3 or 4 with his rebounding and defensive prowess. But none of that will likely happen.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
This is the worst MU offense statistically in a score. Mayo, Burton and Dawson would have scored points but Wojo values experience and defense as his program builders. The team left is playing hard and representing the uniform.  However, if MU is going to lose, play the future. As I said before, this is a reset, not a rebuild year. Time for the coach to move on to that theme to see what he has.
Exactly. Give Duane more minutes at PG to see how he plays. Give Sandy more minutes also.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
Steve may have made the two worst plays of the game:

1. Left Obepka alone on the baseline with under 2 minutes to play for an easy dunk that put SJU up by 3. (He left his position to double-team away from the ball.)

2. Let Obepka get inside position on a SJU miss with under 30 seconds to play - the single most important play of the game.

Only saw the last 6 minutes. Both of these plays stood out for me also.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
But wait...he had 7 rebounds, all were great position rebounds playing out of his normal position on the back end of the zone when St. John's clanged one of their many. Pound for pound, best rebounder on the team, justifying his 33 minutes per game. We do not need any more offense at the Guard position, we have Carlino doing it all by himself. I mean c'mon, we are not at all struggling for points, are we? And after all Derrick is the best option isn"t he? Never mind that Carlino and Duane can play the point, and JJJ and Sandy also play Guard. So can Juan--oops he hasn't been scoring lately. We need Derrick's solid rebounding and dribbling.

6 assists, 3 turnovers.  Would have been 7 assists if Luke had dunked when Derrick got the ball to him right under the hoop with nobody near him...but Luke decided to wait for Obekpa to show up.

So yeah, 6 assists and 7 rebounds with only 3 turnovers.  Like him or not, he IS the best option at PG this season.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2015, 08:01:29 AM »
Only saw the last 6 minutes. Both of these plays stood out for me also.

Also, his two three point attempts were dumb and ugly looking jump shots, should rarely take those, so to take two in the space of three minutes was surprisingly dumb in my opinion.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Funny thing is, he didn't know that but shot his mouth off anyhow. A red blooded American.

Where does Marquette list its captains?  Haven't seen it, but I'm sure they do.  And when I see it's Juan and Derrick then I'll say, hey, you were right, my bad.  Unlike you, who just goes MIA from the rest of the thread.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:47:37 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2015, 08:52:12 AM »
The entire team was pretty bad outside of Carlino and Taylor.  That said, Fischer's pathetic conference play continues and has cost us another game.  I knew his weaknesses would get exposed when conference play began (despite the delusions from this board), but it's worse six games in than it was against DePaul.  I'll be happy if his career ceiling is that of Otule at this point.

I'm not going to go as far as you, but he really need to learn how to bang more down there.  The couple dribbles and weak little hook shot isn't going to get it done in the BE.  Good news is that he is young and can learn. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

I'm not going to go as far as you, but he really need to learn how to bang more down there.  The couple dribbles and weak little hook shot isn't going to get it done in the BE.  Good news is that he is young and can learn. 

+1

Sure hope that Luke spends the summer in the weight room.  You could see that Wojo was upset last night.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »
I'll pose the question again because it came from a source as close to the coaches as it gets.....but what are people's thoughts on Haanif taking over the PG position?  I realize he will be a true frosh and Wojo may want more experience at PG, but he has fantastic attributes for a ball handler (a Michael Carter-Williams mold without the same amount of talent coming in) and would give us a huge advantage running the point.  Duane and hopefully a JUCO/Grad transfer can also take ball handling duties but that would really open things up personnel-wise if someone with Haanif's size plays the point.  Personally, I think it'd be a great move.
I have never seen him play, so I do not know. I also know that while Duane and Cohen could play point, but they should not be playing point. I have not seen Nick play, but many have said he is really more of a two instead of a point. Wojo in desperation might start Haanif at point. Generally, a freshmen point guard has a lot of learning to do. The worst part is that Haanif does not play point in high school, so he will have a really have a lot to earn. Assuming Wojo does not recruit a true point guard, next year will be worse than this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Where does Marquette list its captains?  Haven't seen it, but I'm sure they do.  And when I see it's Juan and Derrick then I'll say, hey, you were right, my bad.  Unlike you, who just goes MIA from the rest of the thread.

Can anybody find where it was said that Derrick and Juan were named the team's co-captains?  I looked a little bit but couldn't find anything.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Can anybody find where it was said that Derrick and Juan were named the team's co-captains?  I looked a little bit but couldn't find anything.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014/10/7/6939965/marquette-golden-eagles-derrick-wilson-juan-anderson-captains-2014-ncaa-season

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:17 AM »
Fischer's pathetic conference play continues and has cost us another game.  I knew his weaknesses would get exposed when conference play began (despite the delusions from this board), but it's worse six games in than it was against DePaul.  I'll be happy if his career ceiling is that of Otule at this point.

Who knew Fischer personally had the power to, all by himself, cost us 4 conference games?

Pathetic! The kid is pathetic! We were SOOOO much better before he came along!

He should be flogged in the public square, then tarred and feathered and then cast into the sea with weights around his ankles.

Pathetic Luke has ruined this potential NCAA championship season for the last time, dammit!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »
Man--way to go out of your way to try to call me out. Here you go, Mr. MIA:
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112214aab.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »

To try to call you out?  Huh?  Not at all.  Like I said in the post above yours (funny that you're the run bringing up "reading is essential"), I was wrong.  Unlike you, I am not MIA.  But hey, valiant effort man.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
Who knew Fischer personally had the power to, all by himself, cost us 4 conference games?

+1

Luke may not be perfect, he may be having struggles, but anyone that thinks we'd be better off without him is out of their mind. We have 8 guys, there are no alternatives.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
One thing is clear:

Wojo will ride the hot hand.

Steve taylor looked good, so he got more minutes. JJJ had some mistakes, so he was limited. Sandy got lots of opportunities. etc. etc.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
Best thing about Sandy Cohen is that he does not play scared.  How many of our 4 and 4.5 star players on the roster came into a freshman year and played like they are on some sort of leash, or are afraid that they were going to be labeled a bust?   JJJ im looking at you. 
Cohen was is only a 3 star player and he acts like he came in with a 5 star ranking.  Everyone needs that attitude.  Cohen misses a shot; It is just that he misses a shot but than gets right back on defense.  Misses two shots?  Next time he gets the ball he slashes to the hoop against great defenders like Dom Pointer and scores a bucket.   Miss an assignment on defense? Sandy doesnt point, just spots up and nails a three.   
In some ways I am jealous of the Badgers because it always seems like their 3 star players from Crivitz come in miss a shot and dont care.   When JJJ misses a shot?  Well he might as well just leave the floor because he pretty much just stops what he is doing. 

In two years Sandy Cohen is either going to be getting huge minutes, or he will be on the bench.  Either way the guy is not going to give a "F" when he gets out their and he will play with some guts.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
To try to call you out?  Huh?  Not at all.  Like I said in the post above yours (funny that you're the run bringing up "reading is essential"), I was wrong.  Unlike you, I am not MIA.  But hey, valiant effort man.
Sure you were. You wanted evidence to prove that I was wrong. You could not find it. Your sarcastic remarks confirm that. Just admit it--you will feel better.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
Sure you were. You wanted evidence to prove that I was wrong. You could not find it. Your sarcastic remarks confirm that. Just admit it--you will feel better.

I posted this...

Thanks.  Had not seen that.  I was wrong.

Before you even posted this...

And you are the one who ran away when you were proven wrong.

You are a freaking nut.

feedback