[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 30987 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »
The entire team was pretty bad outside of Carlino and Taylor.  That said, Fischer's pathetic conference play continues and has cost us another game.  I knew his weaknesses would get exposed when conference play began (despite the delusions from this board), but it's worse six games in than it was against DePaul.  I'll be happy if his career ceiling is that of Otule at this point.

Thanks for the laugh before bed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
Derrick slip
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
Just got back from game.  Right before Derrick slipped in the 1st half I noticed a few St. John's players looking around on the floor for something.  My guess is water or a water bottle fell on the floor (their seats were right where Derrick slipped).

Kind of annoying the opposing team can "water" the floor which costs us a turnover.  Yes, I know it was NOT on purpose and it didn't change the outcome of the game but certainly there should be some sort of penalty for watering the opposing team's side of the court??
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:20:32 PM by MarquetteDano »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
We need to find the best Juco PG we can possibly find and hope that we can get him admitted. Also , I would not be surprised to see Wojo experiment with Henry as PG against the Cupcakes next year.

There is no chance Hank ever plays point guard in college or the pros.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
Earlier this year when I put out the poll about Derrick playing forward some people scoffed.... Derrick has been playing a lot of forward on the defensive side.

So all I am saying is I would not be surprised if Wojo experimented with Henry at PG. He has a good handle and decent court vision. People who have played against him said one of the big difficulties in defensing him is his ability to put it on the floor.

You have to be open minded in life sometimes....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
I can't wait until Cohen is strong enough to finish those drives.   Or starts getting a little respect from the refs.  

This. Loved the bravery from Sandy tonight. Showed he knows when and how to slash to the hoop. He looked awkward at the end of the drives, but that will get fixed with experience and added strength. He was getting manhandled by St. John's, should have drawn three or four more fouls than he got.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »
Derrick was passive on both ends.   Juan was overmatched on both ends.   
Derrick was smart enough not to drive to the basket and get his shot rejected.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »

Explain The Marcus Jackson Incident...

Death on call

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »
Duane looks to my uneducated eye like he could be a fantastic point guard. What am I missing that you all see?

brandx

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »

Thank you.  It always amazes me the way some people think players are plug n play.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
Duane looks to my uneducated eye like he could be a fantastic point guard. What am I missing that you all see?
Physical skills your right. Mental make up is more of a 2. Thinks shot first pass second. PG other way around.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
The entire team was pretty bad outside of Carlino and Taylor.  That said, Fischer's pathetic conference play continues and has cost us another game.  I knew his weaknesses would get exposed when conference play began (despite the delusions from this board), but it's worse six games in than it was against DePaul.  I'll be happy if his career ceiling is that of Otule at this point.

I'd say that's a little harsh. Luke in his first game had a better line than Otule ever had in a six year career. Is he this season's savior? No. Will he be a solid starter come next season? I'd say the smart money is yes. I think he could be quite a dangerous player come his senior season.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:29 PM »
This is the worst MU offense statistically in a score. Mayo, Burton and Dawson would have scored points but Wojo values experience and defense as his program builders. The team left is playing hard and representing the uniform.  However, if MU is going to lose, play the future. As I said before, this is a reset, not a rebuild year. Time for the coach to move on to that theme to see what he has.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:46:38 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
Every time I watch this team I see a lot of potential. Could easily see us lose 6-8 of our final 12 games in the big east. But I wouldn't even be surprised if we made the big east tournament final. I'm optimistic while also having low expectations.

I don't totally know what you're seeing, the only way for us to win right now is with defense, and our only guy that can carry the team seemingly is a streak shooter who's also a senior.  Thankfully we have more talent coming in next year, even though that means nothing until they prove it.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
I have two thoughts:

1. This team is playing very hard.

2. This team just doesn't have the horses.

True on both, but the first thought I had tonight was that if St. John's makes a decent percentage of its wide-open threes, we lose by 15. They had open looks all night but for some reason shot like we always shoot. My other thought was that I was not impressed by JJJ's posing after his one basket of the night. Then on the next possession he went back to being JJJ, leading a 1-on-3 and losing the ball in the crowd. Can't wait for next year when he is buried on the bench.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
True on both, but the first thought I had tonight was that if St. John's makes a decent percentage of its wide-open threes, we lose by 15. They had open looks all night but for some reason shot like we always shoot. My other thought was that I was not impressed by JJJ's posing after his one basket of the night. Then on the next possession he went back to being JJJ, leading a 1-on-3 and losing the ball in the crowd. Can't wait for next year when he is buried on the bench.

Really? Not can't wait for him to mature or be developed just buried? That's kind of a terrible attitude to have
Maigh Eo for Sam

onepost

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:26 PM »
I'll pose the question again because it came from a source as close to the coaches as it gets.....but what are people's thoughts on Haanif taking over the PG position?  I realize he will be a true frosh and Wojo may want more experience at PG, but he has fantastic attributes for a ball handler (a Michael Carter-Williams mold without the same amount of talent coming in) and would give us a huge advantage running the point.  Duane and hopefully a JUCO/Grad transfer can also take ball handling duties but that would really open things up personnel-wise if someone with Haanif's size plays the point.  Personally, I think it'd be a great move.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »
what are people's thoughts on Haanif taking over the PG position? 

I think it's a WAY more viable option than Henry :)

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:59 AM »
13 blocked shots by SJU, crazy.

Not enough Du. Wilson in closing minutes, he sat.  

Taylor should not be allowed to take a three, good to see him make some short ones.

MU has the ugliest turnovers in Div I ball.........mind blowing really

Just a plain, ugly game by both sides.  

First complet game I have been able to watch this season.  Jeez, we are not a good team, are we?  Not a lot of talent.  Not a lot of smarts.  Not a lot of attention to b-ball fundamentals.  Not a lot of toughness.  Not a lot of inspired coaching noted.  Going to be a rough second half of the season I'm afraid.

“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Would be interesting to see how many teams have won a game with two starters not scoring a point.  Sad.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2015, 01:47:01 AM »
True on both, but the first thought I had tonight was that if St. John's makes a decent percentage of its wide-open threes, we lose by 15. They had open looks all night but for some reason shot like we always shoot.

SJU shot 26.1% from three tonight. They shoot 32% on the season. They weren't that far off their average. MU turned SJU into a jumpshooting team, which is exactly what Wojo's plan was. Unfortunately, the offense could hold up their end of the bargain.

My other thought was that I was not impressed by JJJ's posing after his one basket of the night. Then on the next possession he went back to being JJJ, leading a 1-on-3 and losing the ball in the crowd. Can't wait for next year when he is buried on the bench.

Why would you wish for that? How about hoping he works his ass off and comes back better than ever? JjJ's offensive game reminds me of Vander Blue (unfortunately their defenses are nowhere near the same level). Vander took a huge leap between his sophomore and junior seasons. Maybe JjJ can do the same.
TAMU

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:42 AM »
Am I the only person who sees Carlino as a necessary evil? Obviously, we are absolutely desperate for his shooting, but when he hits a shot or two he abandons any pretense and does what he wants out there, spacing or open teammates be damned. If we are in a rebuilding mode, I'd honestly rather see JJJ and Cohen take Carlino's minutes as he's clearly not on board with the team concept and he's a carpet bagger to boot.

I thought it was very revealing that Lavin brought up Carlino's "three educations" (UCLA, BYU, Marquette) in the post game. For all the hand wringing on here about JUCOs, I don't remember ever feeling like holding my nose while hoping they contribute. Rooting for Carlino feels like rooting for drugs to defeat an addict.

Great game for Cohen and one of Taylor's best.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
This is the worst MU offense statistically in a score. Mayo, Burton and Dawson would have scored points but Wojo values experience and defense as his program builders. The team left is playing hard and representing the uniform.  However, if MU is going to lose, play the future. As I said before, this is a reset, not a rebuild year. Time for the coach to move on to that theme to see what he has.

But it's not like we're getting our butt kicked every game. Our four BEast losses have been by an average of about 4 points, so we're are in close games. Yes, we are losing them and that's frustrating. And, yes, our gaps and inexperience are seen in virtually every game. But I don't see the need to give up on the season.

In fact, if I compare my feelings about last season and this season in mid-January, I recall feeling like last year the season was totally slipping away, like there was no hope. At this point last year, I was more willing to throw in the towel and turn more towards youth. This year (which is obviously different simply because we only have 8 players), I have more of a hopeful feel, like things are coming together. It doesn't mean I feel like we're about to start winning, but I just don't have this heavy, negative feeling like last year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:28 AM »
The co-captains are Derrick and Juan
Funny thing is, he didn't know that but shot his mouth off anyhow. A red blooded American.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »
Carlino isn't a senior leader?  Or did you just mean 4th year senior?  Because I'm fairly certain Carlino is a senior, and it seems to me like Derrick and Carlino are the guys who the team looks to for leadership.  So...?
Still shooting the old mouth off. Reading is fundamental. I said senior captains. Repeat 100 times: Reading is fundamental!!!!!!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »
Derrick had 0 points, 3 assists, and 3 turnovers. You cannot win in college basketball when your pg plays that many minutes and puts up stats like that. Just dreadful. On a positive note, Cohen and Carlino had impressive performances and Steve seemed to have more energy and bounce in his step than I've seen in awhile. Next year can't come soon enough!
But wait...he had 7 rebounds, all were great position rebounds playing out of his normal position on the back end of the zone when St. John's clanged one of their many. Pound for pound, best rebounder on the team, justifying his 33 minutes per game. We do not need any more offense at the Guard position, we have Carlino doing it all by himself. I mean c'mon, we are not at all struggling for points, are we? And after all Derrick is the best option isn"t he? Never mind that Carlino and Duane can play the point, and JJJ and Sandy also play Guard. So can Juan--oops he hasn't been scoring lately. We need Derrick's solid rebounding and dribbling.

feedback