[Today at 08:16:54 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 30402 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
That's a bit hyperbolic.

But yes, Juan had an awful game tonight. His offense has suddenly disappeared.

I havn't looked at stats yet but pretty sure he didn't make a basket and missed about 8.

And that TO he had in first half was something out of the circus.

Just a really, really, really bad game by him and couldn't believe he was actually in late.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
Juan is not reliable against HM competition. Hard to win games when teams don't have to worry about 2 of your senior starters. Good experience for the young guys though. Also, nice to see Steve play a good game. Thought St. John's scouted him poorly. He never goes right up with it and St. John's kept going for that pump fake.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »
Weird, I could've sworn I saw Carlino hit 4 3 pointers in about 2 minutes.  Box score has him for 21.  Guess "butkus" = 21?

The co-captains are Derrick and Juan

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
Except you know who I was talking about. So your sarcasm is for naught.

Carlino isn't a senior leader?  Or did you just mean 4th year senior?  Because I'm fairly certain Carlino is a senior, and it seems to me like Derrick and Carlino are the guys who the team looks to for leadership.  So...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
Shouldn't you be at LibertyScoop by now?

Or you sticking around just to pop up to badmouth our current roster when we're losing?

When you pay my internet bill you can tell me what site to be on...

Secondly its not badmouthing its the truth... You always wanna direct your messages to me like I know you, I don't say anything to you ever so just don't say anything to me deal?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
Four losses by an average of four points.  Georgetown was the only one where we were close the whole time, but never over the hump.  I just want to win.  

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Say what you want but it is first time there are signs this team is playing like men. There was fight in there eyes and they are becoming aggressive. Still more to go but real progress tonight. I expect the game against Georgetown will be an old fashion brawl. Frustration and anger can not put the ball in the bucket it will result in guys like, Fischer, JJJ, Cohen, Taylor, etc. having more success going to the basket. This season is beginning to look up. We will win more than we will lose over the remainder of the season.

I'm normally pretty optimistic, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we lose our next 5 games.  Of course, we could have second half leads In all those games but still lose.....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
Not much talk about Luke, but he was awful tonight.  Dancing around the hoop when he just needs to go up strong.  Derrick got it to him when there was nobody else in the area code, and Luke waited for Obekpa to get there.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
I hope you're not a betting man.

Basketball is more emotion than you think. They will surprise you and if you look at my previous comments I have been very negative until now. Time will tell my friend.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
Basketball is more emotion than you think. They will surprise you and if you look at my previous comments I have been very negative until now. Time will tell my friend.

Emotion can help, but you need some talent and experience.  We have a total of 1 player with the combination of talent and experience necessary to win at a high major level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
When you pay my internet bill you can tell me what site to be on...

Secondly its not badmouthing its the truth... You always wanna direct your messages to me like I know you, I don't say anything to you ever so just don't say anything to me deal?

Well, it is certainly troll-ish behavior seeing as how you haven't been around except to insult players when we're losing. Where is your "truth" about the positives of this team since John left? Where are all the rest of your posts outside of talking about Derrick?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't mind Derrick as long as he's actually being aggressive? He didn't play well tonight but I feel like that was more due to him being so passive. He shouldn't hesitate to drive it and draw contact. I don't even care if he misses the free throws, make SJU realize you want to score too.

Agree, he needs to be more aggressive on offense.

And for all the guys ripping our 6'1" PG, he led the team with 7 boards tonight and was helping to guard Obekpa.  Sure challenged him more than Luke or Juan did.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
Well, it is certainly troll-ish behavior seeing as how you haven't been around except to insult players when we're losing. Where is your "truth" about the positives of this team since John left? Where are all the rest of your posts outside of talking about Derrick?

Not so much, I just said on the game thread "I happened to be on the couch and a game came on, I still root for the guys" then "Good to see JJJ back in the lineup" "Steve playing like a freshmen again" "Chief has a good feel for the game" "Duane with the layup..." all on the thread... Troll that..

Anyway you always got something to say.. Lets just respectfully agree to disagree and you not mention me, because I never ever mentioned you...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
Not much talk about Luke, but he was awful tonight.  Dancing around the hoop when he just needs to go up strong.  Derrick got it to him when there was nobody else in the area code, and Luke waited for Obekpa to get there.

Luke was abused.
played soft. Never seen a big get so many shots blocked.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »
Derrick was passive on both ends.   Juan was overmatched on both ends.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:43 PM »
Derrick was passive on both ends.   Juan was overmatched on both ends.   

Pretty much the case in most Big East games, no?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
Derrick had 0 points, 3 assists, and 3 turnovers. You cannot win in college basketball when your pg plays that many minutes and puts up stats like that. Just dreadful. On a positive note, Cohen and Carlino had impressive performances and Steve seemed to have more energy and bounce in his step than I've seen in awhile. Next year can't come soon enough!

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
Wojo needs to let Duane and JJ off the leash….. the season is going nowhere and Derrick and Juan are horrible. Let the future play more minutes, especially in crunch time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »
Next year can't come soon enough!

Because it will be the second year of the rebuild!  Assuming everyone comes to MU and nobody leaves..
1:  Duane, Nick (Haanif?)
2:  JJJ, Haanif, Sandy, Wally
3:  Sandy, Wally
4:  Henry, STjr
5:  Fischer, Heldt

Unless Wojo finds a couple of one year rentals/JUCO's, that team is going to be woefully inexperienced and not set at PG.   With little proven scoring.     Lots of talent and potential, but unless you are Kentucky, expecting to win right away with that little returning scoring?    Right now, MU is playing for 16-17.   Unless Wojo brings in a couple more players.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
Not so much, I just said on the game thread "I happened to be on the couch and a game came on, I still root for the guys" then "Good to see JJJ back in the lineup" "Steve playing like a freshmen again" "Chief has a good feel for the game" "Duane with the layup..." all on the thread... Troll that..

Anyway you always got something to say.. Lets just respectfully agree to disagree and you not mention me, because I never ever mentioned you...
Nevada, while I wasn't a fan of some of your comments in the past, your points made here are spot on.  0 points from Juan and De won't get it done.  Period.

I think it's great to see you here rooting the Warriors on after John has left. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
Because it will be the second year of the rebuild!  Assuming everyone comes to MU and nobody leaves..

Unless Wojo finds a couple of one year rentals/JUCO's, that team is going to be woefully inexperienced and not set at PG.   With little proven scoring.     Lots of talent and potential, but unless you are Kentucky, expecting to win right away with that little returning scoring?    Right now, MU is playing for 16-17.   Unless Wojo brings in a couple more players.  

And that's assuming Nick is still part of the class.  I hope he makes it, but we may very well have Duane as the only guy with any PG skills.  All the talent underneath will have a hard time scoring if we're turning the ball over.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »

Just not seeing next year being much of a rebuild. 16-17 will be the dynamite year but next year we should be really strong. Look at this team now and the way they play. Its a culture thing and how tough they are keeps them in every game.

Sorry, but inexperience or not Henry, Haanif, Nick and Matt are astronomical additions compared to what we are losing. That factors in the other 4 being 1 year older.

Plus we are probably adding a JUCO or grad transfer.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
Just not seeing next year being much of a rebuild. 16-17 will be the dynamite year but next year we should be really strong. Look at this team now and the way they play. Its a culture thing and how tough they are keeps them in every game.

Sorry, but inexperience or not Henry, Haanif, Nick and Matt are astronomical additions compared to what we are losing. That factors in the other 4 being 1 year older.

Plus we are probably adding a JUCO or grad transfer.

I hope you are right.   I just no longer bank on freshmen coming in and making huge impacts.  I have heard that song too many times.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
I am huge sandy Cohen fan. Guy is fearless and he showed it again tonight