[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Deflated Football Question  (Read 8539 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Deflated Football Question
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »
Didn't Indy use the same balls?  Why was it an advantage for Brady and not for Luck?

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Deflated Football Question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Didn't Indy use the same balls?  Why was it an advantage for Brady and not for Luck?

No.  Each team provides the balls it will use on offense.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
I have not read that small but critically important point in any of the articles.

Thanks

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »
Assuming the Patriots did deflate their balls, what is the appropriate punishment?

Here is my take (given this is second offense after spy-gate):

1) Belichick does not coach the Superbowl and next year (Payton precedent)
2) Entire team forfeits any playoff bonus (not base pay)
3) loss of 1 - 4 round draft picks in April.

Thoughts?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
Tempest in a teapot.    But the NFL is going to pursue it to show everyone that it takes these things seriously.   IMO, fine the organization $100k and walk away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
Assuming the Patriots did deflate their balls, what is the appropriate punishment?

Here is my take (given this is second offense after spy-gate):

1) Belichick does not coach the Superbowl and next year (Payton precedent)
2) Entire team forfeits any playoff bonus (not base pay)
3) loss of 1 - 4 round draft picks in April.

Thoughts?

Deflating balls is not equal to paying players to injure other players.  The NFL will do something draconian, because that is what the NFL does, but this all seems massively overblown.  I agree with tower - issue a fine, have a league official measure the ball psi next year if they're really worried about it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:11:46 AM »
Tempest in a teapot.    But the NFL is going to pursue it to show everyone that it takes these things seriously.   IMO, fine the organization $100k and walk away.

I understand what you're saying.  But if the balls were deflated for the Ravens game, does that change your view on things?

(recall the Pats were down 14 and came from behind to win 35-31 http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400749515)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
With the amount of revenue NFL teams receive a fine is a pittance compared to stripping any draft picks.  Taking away any draft picks would show if they take this issue seriously as opposed to a fine.  My 2 cents.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
Deflating balls is not equal to paying players to injure other players.  The NFL will do something draconian, because that is what the NFL does, but this all seems massively overblown.  I agree with tower - issue a fine, have a league official measure the ball psi next year if they're really worried about it.

The balls were all inspected by the officials prior to the game and none of them were deflated. It was clearly a conscious effort to cheat made by New England at some point after that. It would be relatively easy for a ball boy to hold a ball under a towel (not unusual on a rainy day) and use a needle to deflate it.

Considering they're "repeat offenders" when it comes to cheating, they should be punished more harshly than if another team were found guilty of this tactic.

Fine the team $1M, take away a 1st Round pick and suspend Bill Belichick for the first 4 games of the 2015 season. Or take a new route and take away some cap space (not even sure if that's allowed, but it would be interesting).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
The Pats need to be severely punished.  This is cheating, plain and simple .. no $100k fine is going to cut it if the NFL wants to be viewed as anything but a joke.

And, duh .. change the rules.  The home team should provide all 24 balls which are examined and controlled by the refs for the remainder of the game, and both teams use whichever ball the ref trots out.  Hard to believe this goes any other way.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
Should other teams be punished as well? Rodgers admitted the Pack overinflate the footballs for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
The NFL also has to be careful about looking like they are taking it too soft on New England considering Goodells relationship with Kraft.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
Take a touchdown away from them.  A slim 38-7 margin of victory should make up for any advantage gained from taking some air out of the tires.  And they can still say they made an unprecedented punishment.  

Should other teams be punished as well? Rodgers admitted the Pack overinflate the footballs for him.

But also said that the refs deflated them during their inspection.  On the other hand, Brad Johnson said he paid $7,500 to have balls deflated in the Super Bowl.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
Belichick must have some type of personality defect.   He knew they were going to run all over Indianapolis, there was no need to doctor the ball.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
Belichick must have some type of personality defect.   He knew they were going to run all over Indianapolis, there was no need to doctor the ball.

Unless they simply do it every game...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
Take a touchdown away from them.  A slim 38-7 margin of victory should make up for any advantage gained from taking some air out of the tires.  And they can still say they made an unprecedented punishment.  

... and if they used under-inflated balls against the Ravens the week before, do you also take a touchdown away from that game too?  If so, this makes the Ravens the winner.  So who represents the AFC in the Superbowl?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
... and if they used under-inflated balls against the Ravens the week before, do you also take a touchdown away from that game too?  If so, this makes the Ravens the winner.  So who represents the AFC in the Superbowl?

Ravens-Colts this Sunday! Winner to the Super Bowl next Sunday!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »

Not a Packer's fan, so this isn't a defense of Rodgers or the Packers.

Rodgers likes them over inflated.  He said that they inflate them high and provide them that way for the inspection.  If the refs discover it, they bleed them off so that they're inflated at the max allowed.  That way, he insures the balls he uses will always be as highly inflated as possible.  If they pass inspection and are not changed, all the better.

That's very different than changing the balls after the inspection occurs which is what it is believed that the Patriots might have done.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
The Pats need to be severely punished.  This is cheating, plain and simple .. no $100k fine is going to cut it if the NFL wants to be viewed as anything but a joke.

And, duh .. change the rules.  The home team should provide all 24 balls which are examined and controlled by the refs for the remainder of the game, and both teams use whichever ball the ref trots out.  Hard to believe this goes any other way.

I agree on the punishment front.  The Patriots should get nailed as repeat offenders.  The penalty needs to be severe enough that owners won't walk away thinking it was money well spent.

I'm not sure anyone wants to have the balls provided by the home team because it sounds like all the clubs go to great lengths to prepare the balls to their QBs' preferences and specifications (but within the rules).  But you're correct that this would seemingly resolve the issue.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »
I agree on the punishment front.  The Patriots should get nailed as repeat offenders.  The penalty needs to be severe enough that owners won't walk away thinking it was money well spent.

I'm not sure anyone wants to have the balls provided by the home team because it sounds like all the clubs go to great lengths to prepare the balls to their QBs' preferences and specifications (but within the rules).  But you're correct that this would seemingly resolve the issue.

The league is going to provide the balls ... and the QB stats league wide are going to go down.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »
Typical scumbag Patriots move. Cheat, steal, and lie. It's what I would expect from a group like that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Typical scumbag Patriots move. Cheat, steal, and lie. It's what I would expect from a group like that.

And have murderers on your roster too.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »

And it is not the first time NE has done this with the balls.

And, yes, Goodell was aware of that fact before Sunday's game.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
On the other hand, Brad Johnson said he paid $7,500 to have balls deflated in the Super Bowl.

small point, Johnson said he paid $7500 to have all 100 balls scuffed up not deflated.

I'm for taking away draft picks and if possible suspend Belicheck at the end of next season vs. the beginnng

feedback