[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Post Game (Comments on JJJ DNP)  (Read 82326 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Wojo Post Game (Comments on JJJ DNP)
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
Life is not fair.

You get what you deserve.

Karma is a bitch.

Wojo is being a servant leader to JJJ.

Nothing to see here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
Life is not fair.

You get what you deserve.

Karma is a bitch.

Wojo is being a servant leader to JJJ.

Nothing to see here.

Well, there is something to see here. A former highly rated recruit -- not to mention a guy who has made nice contributions in several games this season -- was benched despite the team only having 8 scholarship athletes.

It definitely is a story. Pretending it isn't a story doesn't make it any less a story.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
The story is a coach is doing his job.

Nothing else to see here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
The story is a coach is doing his job.

Nothing else to see here.

Fair enough.

But if we don't go bat-$hit every time something happens, why even bother living? Ha!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »
Well, there is something to see here. A former highly rated recruit -- not to mention a guy who has made nice contributions in several games this season -- was benched despite the team only having 8 scholarship athletes.

It definitely is a story. Pretending it isn't a story doesn't make it any less a story.

It sucks that it happens on a team with 8 scholarship athletes, but I feel the coach has to be consistent. The players have to believe that their actions matter and they will be held accountable for them. Sure, it'd be easier to do on a team with 13 available players, but it shows a hell of a lot more conviction on a team with only 8. Don't like losing, but the mantra is "win every day", not just game day.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Fair enough.

But if we don't go bat-$hit every time something happens, why even bother living? Ha!

LOL

The life of us scoopers.

connie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »
Is there any statistical evidence whatsoever that's supports these "lessons" working effectively? JJJ doesn't have an ounce of Fire in his body at all. He's just a goofy guy out there enjoying himself. Much like Jamail jones. I don't think he's the type to all of the sudden start to bring it now that the coach benched him a full game. I think more often than not guys just look elsewhere when their practice habits don't correlate with the coaches expectations.
The military comes to mind.  I don't know what you mean by "work," but there goals in many organizations that stress devotion to the team, a "one for all" theory that equates group punishment as a way to ensure all are working towards group goals.  In this way, this is only partially about JJJ, and I am good with that.  The program should be more important.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
The military comes to mind.  I don't know what you mean by "work," but there goals in many organizations that stress devotion to the team, a "one for all" theory that equates group punishment as a way to ensure all are working towards group goals.  In this way, this is only partially about JJJ, and I am good with that.  The program should be more important.
very well said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
It sucks that it happens on a team with 8 scholarship athletes, but I feel the coach has to be consistent. The players have to believe that their actions matter and they will be held accountable for them. Sure, it'd be easier to do on a team with 13 available players, but it shows a hell of a lot more conviction on a team with only 8. Don't like losing, but the mantra is "win every day", not just game day.

You're preaching to the choir, brew. Based on what I know today, I'd have benched him, too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 11:11:36 PM »
You're preaching to the choir, brew. Based on what I know today, I'd have benched him, too.

So would I but out of curiosity a) did you learn something new today and b) can you share it?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »

If JJJ is not fulfilling his coaches expectations in practice and is NOT benched:

* it's a slap in the face to Derrick, why take 25,000 shots this summer?
* it's a slap in the face to Steve, why gut it out everyday on bad knees.
* it's a slap in the face to Luke, why play on a shoulder that might need surgery?
* it's a slap in the face to Juan, why reverse you decision to transfer and why did you spent the time to improve your senior year?
* it's a slap in the face to Sandy, why are working so hard in practice trying to impress the coach?  Just take it easy.
* it's a slap in the face to Duane, why did you battle back from the stress fracture in your foot?
* it's a slap in the face to Matt, why did you pick MU?
* it's a slap in the face to the assistant coaches, why did you relocate to Milwaukee, uprooting your families to do it?
* it's a slap in the face to the fans, why did you spend money to buy tickets
* it's a slap in the face to the incoming recruits, why did you pick MU?

The good news for JJJ is this is easily correctable.  Hopefully starting with Sunday's practice he turned it around.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2015, 06:54:44 AM »

If JJJ is not fulfilling his coaches expectations in practice and is NOT benched:

* it's a slap in the face to Luke, why play on a shoulder that might need surgery?
* it's a slap in the face to Juan, why reverse you decision to transfer and why did you spent the time to improve your senior year?
* it's a slap in the face to Sandy, why are working so hard in practice trying to impress the coach?  Just take it easy.
* it's a slap in the face to Duane, why did you battle back from the stress fracture in your foot?
* it's a slap in the face to the assistant coaches, why did you relocate to Milwaukee, uprooting your families to do it?

The good news for JJJ is this is easily correctable.  Hopefully starting with Sunday's practice he turned it around.

Pretty dramatic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
But not wrong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »
So would I but out of curiosity a) did you learn something new today and b) can you share it?

a. Nope. Unlike it seems 75% of the posters on Scoop, I have no "inside MU sources."

b. See a.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »

You know what else is a slap in the face??  Watching your fellow guard teammates continually make bone headed plays, turn the ball over, shoot awfully yet all get a much longer leash.  Not to mention, arguably all of those guards being less talented.

Have no doubt JJJ was "hot" after the Creighton game and the 12 minutes he got, in addition to the general reality that all the other guards are getting 7 to 13 more minutes per game than him.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
You know what else is a slap in the face??  Watching your fellow guard teammates continually make bone headed plays, turn the ball over, shoot awfully yet all get a much longer leash.  Not to mention, arguably all of those guards being less talented.

Have no doubt JJJ was "hot" after the Creighton game and the 12 minutes he got, in addition to the general reality that all the other guards are getting 7 to 13 more minutes per game than him.
Well, he can either do what is being asked of him to earn more minutes, or he can continue to do whatever it is he's doing and then transfer.  Pretty simple.  It's on him.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »

Excellent point. When a North Carolina player received a technical foul, Dean Smith responded in practice by pulling up a chair, getting the offending player a Coca Cola and making the rest of the team run sprints. The offending player would sit and watch while the rest of the team paid the price.

Guess what you did not see much of while Dean Smith was head coach at UNC?

Is it any different here? Sitting JJJ and working the rest of the team harshly means that you build a sense of camradre. The best corrective action is peer pressure.

As a final note, why do you think the Packer who fumbled the on-side kick was in tears after the Seattle game yesterday. He knows he let his team down.,

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »

Because they are better.  And he can do one of two things.  He can pout and sulk some more, and perhaps transfer.  Or he can step it up, get back into the coach's good graces, and earn more minutes.  The path he chooses will say a lot about him.  But IMO if he chooses the former, he will never be much of a basketball player.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »

The knife cuts both ways. If you see a teammate who coasts through practice awarded with playing time, that's probably pretty deflating.

Players play a big part in deciding playing time. If you kick ass in practice, and you kick ass in games, you're going to play a lot.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
You know what else is a slap in the face??  Watching your fellow guard teammates continually make bone headed plays, turn the ball over, shoot awfully yet all get a much longer leash. 

Once again, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

FG%/3P%/TO per 40

Carlino  .406/.421/2.47
Derrick  .446/.304/1.51
JJJ        .426/.175/3.48

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »

It shouldn't be considering that JjJ makes more boneheaded plays than anyone else on the team. This argument doesn't hold water, even when its a good player being benched. But JjJ has been arguably our sixth or seventh best player this season. The people playing above him are simply better. Despite this, he's still getting almost 20 mpg. That's pretty good, all things considered. If he doesn't recognize that, he's not very self aware.

Also, the "longer leash" argument isn't even there. JjJ has the same leash as anybody. In fact, he has a longer one than Sandy does. He gets benched more because he messes up more. Obviously we could have used him against X, but he didn't do what he needed to do to get on the court. Good for Wojo for having the balls to stick to his guns.

Now Buzz did a poor job with the follow up conversations after a kid was benched. He tended to ice them out until they started working harder. I have no doubt that Wojo will take a different approach with JjJ. Whether or not JjJ will respond, remains to be seen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »

Because they are better.  And he can do one of two things.  He can pout and sulk some more, and perhaps transfer.  Or he can step it up, get back into the coach's good graces, and earn more minutes.  The path he chooses will say a lot about him.  But IMO if he chooses the former, he will never be much of a basketball player.

I understand your point regarding pouting never being a good option.  I mentioned in another post, however, that it is very difficult for players at the high school/college level to confront their coach about their role, playing time, how they are being used.  Wainwright had to IMPLORE Todd Mayo to go to Buzz last year and ask for more playing time.  The coach holds a ton of "power" over a player, and what every player wants more than anything is playing time.  Kids don't want to be perceived as a whiner, which usually leads to kids not confronting their coach in a mature way - such as - what do I need to do to get more playing time/be able to play through my mistakes as I see other guys being afforded the opportunity to do so?  Instead, frequently kids communicate their unhappiness by half assing it at practice.

I do disagree with you, however, in that I don't believe Derrick or Duane necessarily are better players.  Duane has struggled mightily for the better part of the last 6 weeks, and quite frankly been awful, yet he's been given much more rope to play through his struggles.  Having said that, I still like Duane as a player and feel he will be a good/very good player over the course of his time at MU.  Nonetheless, players want to feel things are fair with regard to how playing time is distributed/being allowed to play through mistakes.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
I am fairly certain that Wojo and others have expressed their concerns to JJJ before.  This is very likely the culmination of something that has been brewing for awhile.

And again, I don't see JJJ having a shorter rope than Duane or Sandy. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
I understand your point regarding pouting never being a good option.  I mentioned in another post, however, that it is very difficult for players at the high school/college level to confront their coach about their role, playing time, how they are being used.  Wainwright had to IMPLORE Todd Mayo to go to Buzz last year and ask for more playing time.  The coach holds a ton of "power" over a player, and what every player wants more than anything is playing time.  Kids don't want to be perceived as a whiner, which usually leads to kids not confronting their coach in a mature way - such as - what do I need to do to get more playing time/be able to play through my mistakes as I see other guys being afforded the opportunity to do so?  Instead, frequently kids communicate their unhappiness by half assing it at practice.

I do disagree with you, however, in that I don't believe Derrick or Duane necessarily are better players.  Duane has struggled mightily for the better part of the last 6 weeks, and quite frankly been awful, yet he's been given much more rope to play through his struggles.  Having said that, I still like Duane as a player and feel he will be a good/very good player over the course of his time at MU.  Nonetheless, players want to feel things are fair with regard to how playing time is distributed/being allowed to play through mistakes.

If we believe that Duane has a longer leash*, maybe he has earned it because he busts his ass everyday?

*not saying that I believe this, but for the sake of this conversation

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
If we believe that Duane has a longer leash*, maybe he has earned it because he busts his ass everyday?

*not saying that I believe this, but for the sake of this conversation

Sure - that's plausible. However, usually a player will bust their ass and grind - yet when they begin to feel that another guy is getting more rope/slack, it affects a player's buy-in and belief in their head coach.

Buzz said last year that during boot camp JJJ was the best as far as showing up, grinding, etc.  The competitive spirit is alive and well, and all is good at the beginning of a "marriage" between player and coach - then, at some point if the player feels they are busting their ass, performing relatively similarly to another player, yet see that player get more rope - it affects attitude.

feedback