[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60385 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:29 PM »
Ners is certainly becoming annoying faster with each reincarnation. Perhaps we are close to another death, with a long rest before his next rebirth. 

Those of us who have worked in the public sector understand the passion, dedication and good works of public employees. We don’t care what the other half thinks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:02:21 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/MUCoachJohnson/status/987411182431678464

"Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire, and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame, and complain."
He is reading scoop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
Nice post.  It's great that you enjoy your work.  What line of public service are you in?  What type of private sector companies/businesses are calling you for cash  - and the cash you have to dole out, where did that cash come from?

Does the public sector innovate anything?  Manufacture anything?  Subject to competition?

Now, the point made about those doing research in academia (in fields that actually help improve the human condition and nature), that is noble work no doubt.  And, it is paid for/subsidized by taxpayers - unless of course taking place at private universities.

Regarding your doctor friend, nothing is stopping him or other researchers from forming their own private company and slogging ahead on their own to get a patent and subsequently profit off of the patent.  But, what is stopping him, is the whole notion of having to fund his research and solicit funding for his research, and to build a business that is actually viable/sustainable.  Much easier to just do it under the umbrella of tax payer funded universities.
The thing is...I'm not bashing the private sector.  I think there is a lot of good in both sectors.  You're the one ripping teachers, professors, cops, firefighters, the armed forces, the dnr, and everyone else that works to ensure our nation has a strong foundation. Not a country in the world that has sustained itself without a strong government.

I could get on here and b!tch about the bailouts given to private companies.  We've all seen the how, why, and blame game that played out in the great recession. It's one of the negative aspects of the free market in this country...just the same as big govt has its faults.

I've found it's rarely the big players that rip on publlic employees...and usually the wannabe CEO's. 

Was just talking with my neighbor the other day during the snow storm...his family's foundation has given millions to our local university because they value what the local public university provides to them.  Oh, and when the public plow driver went buy on Sunday morning...he gave a wave.  You should try it...feels so much better then giving the finger.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »
The thing is...I'm not bashing the private sector.  I think there is a lot of good in both sectors.  You're the one ripping teachers, professors, cops, firefighters, the armed forces, the dnr, and everyone else that works to ensure our nation has a strong foundation. Not a country in the world that has sustained itself without a strong government.

I could get on here and b!tch about the bailouts given to private companies.  We've all seen the how, why, and blame game that played out in the great recession. It's one of the negative aspects of the free market in this country...just the same as big govt has its faults.

I've found it's rarely the big players that rip on publlic employees...and usually the wannabe CEO's. 

Was just talking with my neighbor the other day during the snow storm...his family's foundation has given millions to our local university because they value what the local public university provides to them.  Oh, and when the public plow driver went buy on Sunday morning...he gave a wave.  You should try it...feels so much better then giving the finger.

Classier response than Ners deserved. Well done. Again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
Ners is certainly becoming annoying faster with each reincarnation. Perhaps we are close to another death, with a long rest before his next rebirth. 

Those of us who have worked in the public sector understand the passion, dedication and good works of public employees. We don’t care what the other half thinks.

Not at all surprised...just realized you are subsidized by the private sector.  Without the private sector, there are no tax revenues flowing in to fund government.  Government is reliant on the private sector, not the other way around.

I'll leave it at this:  You are one of the smart ones - choosing to work in the public sector.  It is an incredible gig.  Great benefits.  No accountability to a P&L.  Virtually impossible to get fired.  Bankers hours.  Regulators don't come into your business and change the game and put you out of business.  Great gig.

P.S. - I wave to plow drivers, and shake the hands of law enforcement when I see them socially, and thank them for their service.  Same with military.  You need law and order.  The guys who genuinely do put their lives on the line for the rest of us are deserving of our support.  Those are tax dollars well spent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
Ners knowledge of macroeconomics is about as bad as his knowledge of basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
Not at all surprised...just realized you are subsidized by the private sector.  Without the private sector, there are no tax revenues flowing in to fund government.  Government is reliant on the private sector, not the other way around.

Yeah....I'm sure the private sector never relies on the public sector for training future employees, managing public works, defending their country, enforcing the laws, fighting the fires, doing necessary research...etc, etc, etc.

I'll leave it at this:  You are one of the smart ones - choosing to work in the public sector.  It is an incredible gig.  Great benefits.  No accountability to a P&L.  Virtually impossible to get fired.  Bankers hours.  Regulators don't come into your business and change the game and put you out of business.  Great gig.

It is a great gig. However not for the reason you've stated. Most public sector jobs are accountable to P&L. I have fired several people from public sector jobs simply because they were bad at them. The whole virtually unfirable thing is a myth outside of unions and tenure. I don't work banker's hours, not even close. I'm consistently in work engagements until 10 pm. Many have banker's hours.....just like many in the private sector do. As for regulators not coming into our business? Government jobs have some of the strictest set of standards that need to be kept in compliance. And those standards change at the drop of a hat, often based on who controls the government.

The two worlds rely on each other. There is no need to bash the other one. Both provide necessary services to make the country work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:08:08 AM by TAMU Chardonnay »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »

P.S. - I wave to plow drivers, and shake the hands of law enforcement when I see them socially, and thank them for their service.  Same with military.  You need law and order.  The guys who genuinely do put their lives on the line for the rest of us are deserving of our support.  Those are tax dollars well spent.

No. Government prints the money. It then enters the system through government spending or private banks (via lending). Taxation is a means to control inflation by taking money back out of the system. Deficits do not matter (well they hardly matter - not nearly to the extent that they are demagogued). The public sector does not rely on taxation from the private sector to exist.

Get over yourself.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »
Ners knowledge of macroeconomics is about as bad as his knowledge of basketball.

But Ners did take Economics in high school!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
Ners: The ultimate Dunning-Kruger Effect example.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »

LOL

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Classier response than Ners deserved. Well done. Again.

I disagree Mike - I think it is Heisy. I agree with the "classier" comment, however.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Amusing to me to see how many of my "favorites" here are public sector guys.  Makes a ton of sense. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
Amusing to me to see how many of my "favorites" here are public sector guys.  Makes a ton of sense.
I feel for ya.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »

Scoop has been won for the day. Shut it down until tomorrow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »

I literally allocate capital for a living. My job title could be simply: Capitalist. You just have no clue what you're talking about.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
I literally allocate capital for a living. My job title could be simply: Capitalist. You just have no clue what you're talking about.

Banker?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
No. Government prints the money. It then enters the system through government spending or private banks (via lending). Taxation is a means to control inflation by taking money back out of the system. Deficits do not matter (well they hardly matter - not nearly to the extent that they are demagogued). The public sector does not rely on taxation from the private sector to exist.

Get over yourself.

Feel free to duke it out with this scholar...seems he argues the exact opposite of your point.  I'll appreciate your rebuttal.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication/government-spending-101/where-does-government-get-money-it-spends

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »
Feel free to duke it out with this scholar...seems he argues the exact opposite of your point.  I'll appreciate your rebuttal.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication/government-spending-101/where-does-government-get-money-it-spends

Mercatus is funded by Koch dollars. Of course it says the opposite, it's just regurgitating what the Kochs want you to believe.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
Mercatus is funded by Koch dollars. Of course it says the opposite, it's just regurgitating what the Kochs want you to believe.
Ners is a Koch/Breitbar and wouldn't be surprised if Infowars
fan
Goal is National Championship

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »
Let's just say that working in academia is like working in the public sector - generally the best and brightest don't choose a career path where excellence is not rewarded.

Universities offer tenure and safe spaces.  It is next to impossible to get fired from a government job.  Just an entirely different world, and one radically different than the private sector (which is what actually innovates, creates, and funds the public sector - of which many universities are subsidized by.)

Broad overstatement.  I have worked in both the public and private sectors.  Smart people in both, hard working people in both.  There is also gross overstatements by each side trying to rip the other side.  Whether it is CEO pay the left attacks, or the right attacking generous pensions.  Tone it down.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
Ners is a Koch/Breitbar and wouldn't be surprised if Infowars
fan

Wrong.  Fiscally conservative.  Mostly socially liberal (gay marriage, pro choice, gun control all okay in my world.)

Don't follow political media much at all, had never heard of Mercatus.  Know little of Koch brothers.

Couldn't find alternative sources/explanations as to where government derives its funding from, beyond what I'd pointed out:  Private sector business/taxpayers.  Printing more money isn't the answer.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Don't follow political media much at all, had never heard of Mercatus.  Know little of Koch brothers.

Couldn't find alternative sources/explanations as to where government derives its funding from, beyond what I'd pointed out:  Private sector business/taxpayers.  Printing more money isn't the answer.

When I post links or read articles from sources I'm not familiar with, I always vet them for accuracy. If it's from a Koch funded think tank, it exists to defraud the American public by redistributing wealth. It's what they do and their reason for existing.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
When I post links or read articles from sources I'm not familiar with, I always vet them for accuracy. If it's from a Koch funded think tank, it exists to defraud the American public by redistributing wealth. It's what they do and their reason for existing.

Certainly welcome your contribution to the topic at hand, and if you can link a more reputable source to outline how the government/public sector get funded - more than happy to read.

Sad day and age we live in where so much of the information available to us is influenced and biased by the wealthy elites - whether that be Soros or Kochs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how Ners has been allowed to turn this into a political thread.

As if he wasn't already annoying enough ruining basketball threads with his ignorance on that subject.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback