[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke's shoulder  (Read 14497 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Luke's shoulder
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »
You receive a lot of these?

I am only an expert on most things, not all, but I think with labrum tears you will sometimes find the real extent of what's up once you actually go into the shoulder... so, how bad it is / the exact procedures / healing & rehab process / etc. may not  be known with great precision until a surgery is performed.

I say drug him up before each game.

Probably will have to call it a season days before selection sunday.. causing us to miss the tourney.
At some point he will need the surgical correction, it is just a matter if how long he can put it off. They can do some good analysis with MRI but they really need to get in there surgically to see the exact damage. The look on Luke's face after the stinger was not good.

I wonder what the impact on eligibility would be if he had to have the surgery now? Would the NCAA give him back this whole year? Or would he get back a half year?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:02:32 PM by Texas Western »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
I wonder what the impact on eligibility would be if he had to have the surgery now? Would the NCAA give him back this hole year? Or would he get back a half year?

Yuck.

That's an interesting question; I'm unaware of any additional rules regarding a medical hardship waiver if you're sitting out the semester in residence.

That said, my belief is this:
MU has 31 scheduled games (according to the NCAA bylaws for purposes of the hardship calc);
Can't play in the second half of the year - so no games allowed after the Georgetown game... still 4 more to go;
Can't play in more than 30% of the team's games (10 by Bylaw definition/calc specifics)... 4 more puts him at 7 so non-issue;

Anyway.. what I'm saying is.. need to check out the year in residence implications.. don't think there are any though....
I believe Luke could play in 4 more games. If they decided to shut him down and he had season-ending surgery (e.g., docs would be be of the opinion he's not able to play the rest of the year)... he'd be eligible for a medical hardship waiver.

Thus, as of next fall, he'd have 3 years to play 3 seasons.

(Hope he's fine; but the option is probably there)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
This whole "shutting him down" idea seems pretty crazy ( ie. the fact we are even discussing it) to me seeing he just sat out close to 1.5 years.  If it comes to be the case or if he does have major injury problems this year, I'd really like to know what the discussions were since Luke was announced.  Obviously they knew about the injury and the potential for aggravation, but nothing was done about it.  I could understand if it is any type of new injury, but the shoulder causing him to miss more time would seem be a big mistake in management of the known issue.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:46:57 PM by geagles10 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »
^^^
1) he didn't sit out close to 1.5 years;
2) believe it or not, sometimes injuries are mismanaged.

A worthwhile topic, IMHO. This year, though, even a Fischer at 40% might be good for the team to have available.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
This thread is bizarre. With a whole year to sit out any way, MU and Luke had all the incentive in the world to go ahead and have the surgery if it was necessary and they didn't.

Now after all that time he is finally playing and Scoop posters are just assuming he will be shut down and have the surgery anyway.  SMDH

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
Now after all that time he is finally playing and Scoop posters are just assuming he will be shut down and have the surgery anyway.  SMDH

Where did you see this?

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
^^^
1) he didn't sit out close to 1.5 years;
2) believe it or not, sometimes injuries are mismanaged.

A worthwhile topic, IMHO. This year, though, even a Fischer at 40% might be good for the team to have available.

Was somewhat unclear, didn't mean we shouldn't  the discussing it, but just the fact that it is a topic is unfortunate due to the time they had to sort things out.  Hopefully it was not mismanaged.  I am a er doc and see patients that were previously mismanaged every day so a I totatly understand the possibility.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
nothing a few Quaaludes couldn't solve.

and why haven't 'ludes made a comeback in the drug world?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
nothing a few Quaaludes couldn't solve.

and why haven't 'ludes made a comeback in the drug world?

Because they stopped manufacturing Quaaludes after the government realized that they were fun. They were removed from the US market and deemed to be a "Schedule I drug" meaning that it's of no medicinal value... even though it was a medicine being prescribed by doctors.

You can make it at home if you're determined though :)