'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good for Wojo  (Read 17638 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Good for Wojo
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
@AndrewGruman: Wojo says he doesn't believe in placing restrictions on transferring players. He says Deonte Burton & John Dawson can go anywhere.

Glad he's taking that approach. Some of the restrictions that schools put on kids are ridiculous. Let them find the best fit.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Good for Wojo
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
@AndrewGruman: Wojo says he doesn't believe in placing restrictions on transferring players. He says Deonte Burton & John Dawson can go anywhere.

Glad he's taking that approach. Some of the restrictions that schools put on kids are ridiculous. Let them find the best fit.

+1.

Good for Wojo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »

Our coach is a good man. I am sure that as a former player he understands things from the student-athlete's perspective. I am proud to say Wojo is our coach.

(Compare that with Bo Ryan...No thank you)

Death on call

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »
This will help recruiting.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
I'm assuming the BEast is still off limits by conference rule.  Personally, my standing restriction would be anywhere within the conference and Wisconsin.  And I'd fully understand Bucky's reluctance to allow a player to transfer from Madison to MU.  Other than that, find your best fit and go for it.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
This will help recruiting.

Oh the irony of that idea (even if it is true!)...that Wojo will be looked upon more favorably by guys who might later be looking for a way out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
Oh the irony of that idea (even if it is true!)...that Wojo will be looked upon more favorably by guys who might later be looking for a way out.

I don't think kids commit to schools thinking they'll one day be looking for a way out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
You are torn between two schools and someone points out that school A puts restrictions on and school B does not. It could be the deciding factor.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm assuming the BEast is still off limits by conference rule.  Personally, my standing restriction would be anywhere within the conference and Wisconsin.  And I'd fully understand Bucky's reluctance to allow a player to transfer from Madison to MU.  Other than that, find your best fit and go for it.

I don't think it's off limits but the "penalty" is stricter, like two years off or additional eligibility lost.  As with most things in life I'm too lazy to look it up and will just put whatever I remember down in an official capacity.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
Wow.  That's really amazing, especially in today's changing landscape where hundreds of basketball players transfer in a given year.

Cue the haters that will spin this as, "Well, yea, those two weren't any good.  Let them be a drain on another program, preferably a rival."  SMH. 

Deonte and John have a wonderful opportunity that few D1 transfers receive: choosing their best fit, regardless of location and/or conference alignment.  I wish them well (again). 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »

I don't think kids commit to schools thinking they'll one day be looking for a way out.

Sometimes an action speaks to a bigger picture.  Can be a sign of one's character.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
Wow, major props.

Wojo is a boss
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
Anyone know if Wojo has answered any questions on the transfers yet?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
Great to hear.  Sends a positive message, even out of an unfortunate situation.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
I don't think it's off limits but the "penalty" is stricter, like two years off or additional eligibility lost.  As with most things in life I'm too lazy to look it up and will just put whatever I remember down in an official capacity.

Now that you mention it I think I remember something along these lines.  Thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »
This should be a rule in college sports.

Maybe as new, younger coaches who played major D-1 athletics start to take over programs, they will shepherd in a change.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 04:02:36 AM »
Anyone know if Wojo has answered any questions on the transfers yet?

He took the high road pretty much gave the company answer.. "Transfers happen, Its part of the culture now a days, playing time is earned in practice, when I came up it was like this and that, I wish John and Deonte nothing but the best..."

As far as John and Deonte both players have intriguing offers, won't get specific but they both have offers and will play college basketball again.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »

As far as John and Deonte both players have intriguing offers, won't get specific but they both have offers and will play college basketball again.

Mind blowing, you mean to tell me, with certainty, they will play college basketball again? :)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
This isn't that different from many other coaches.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 05:22:56 AM »

Right.  We are just used to hearing about guys like Bo so that clouds our thinking.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »
Mind blowing, you mean to tell me, with certainty, they will play college basketball again? :)

+1

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »

What about Bo? How does he handle transfers?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »
This should be a rule in college sports.

Maybe as new, younger coaches who played major D-1 athletics start to take over programs, they will shepherd in a change.

I also think, if their is a coaching change, the year sit-out rule should be suspended for a transfer in good standing.

All the rule does is protect the coach and the school....this is suppose to be about the student athletes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »

Maybe you're right, but all the coverage Bo got for Uthoff makes it seem otherwise.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
I also think, if their is a coaching change, the year sit-out rule should be suspended for a transfer in good standing.

All the rule does is protect the coach and the school....this is suppose to be about the student athletes.

The year sit-out rule should be done away with under any circumstance. As you say, that is not about the player, it's about protecting the schools only. The only restriction should be mid-year transfer, where Deonte Burton, as an expample could not transfer from MU and be playing at ABCU the next week. Similar to the contractual obligations in the rest of pro sports. If these guys are on one year renewable contracts, I think its fine to enforce that within the year, but if they want to transfer during the off season, and sign a "free agent contract" with another school, there is no good reason for the NCAA to force them to sit out a year.