'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good for Wojo  (Read 17641 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Good for Wojo
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
This isn't that different from many other coaches.

+1

They can't feasibly go to another BE school per rule and Wisconsin likely wouldn't take them so i don't see the reason for such fawning praise of this move.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
Similar with George Marshall, Ian Markloff and Mickey Perry.  Uthoff there was likely some tampering going on.

So...someone tampered with Bo and made him restrict every school under the sun?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
1. The NCAA is fighting in court that the player university relationship is NOT an employee-employer relationship.  ;D - I know you didn't say they are the same.  The O'Bannon Case will be either be a groundbreaking ruling for athletes or once and for all reaffirm the status quo.  Look for the SCOTUS to take it up at some point.

2. Let's also put in a one-year transfer rule for coaches. Since they are both "employee-employer" type relationships, let treat them the same as opposed to rewarding one side (coaches getting raises when they quit one school for another) and punishing the other side (players having to sit out for a year thus possibly delaying their max earning potential). You definitely could make such a rule but the NCAA chooses not to.  Instead universities usually structure some sort of contract buyout in place of a non-compete clause.  Athletes typically get a release without a buyout but still have to sit out as transfers. Do you think it would be better to force athletes to pay a buyout and become immediately eligible?  If so, how much?  Perhaps paying back all tuition and benefits received from the university is fair.  That would put someone like Deonte Burton or John Dawson on the hook for more than $50,000.  Maybe sitting out a year isn't so bad after all.

brandx

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
Well, your buyout reasoning makes no sense. Coaches & schools negotiate a buyout during the hiring process.

Players are not allowed to bargain, period (at least legally).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:29:44 PM by brandx »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
Our coach is a good man. I am sure that as a former player he understands things from the student-athlete's perspective. I am proud to say Wojo is our coach.

(Compare that with Bo Ryan...No thank you)

Agree fully!
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Well, your buyout reasoning makes no sense. It was meant to be an outlandish hypothetical alternative. A response to the sentiment that transfers should be immediately eligible.  Not meant to be an actual proposal.  I was trying to make a point that there's no such thing as a free lunch.   Coaches & schools negotiate a buyout during the hiring process.  Yes, exactly.  Schools could choose to put in a non-compete clause in a contract but good luck getting a coach to sign that contract. 

Players are not allowed to bargain, period (at least legally).  Yes, I know that too.

We're getting a little bit away from my original point.  In my first post I was drawing an analogy to student-athletes being employees even though I know they technically aren't.  It is not akin to price fixing as some other posters contest it is.  But a rule requiring transfers to sit out is legal the same way a non-compete clause is legal.  Legal does not necessarily make it fair for all parties. 

But just as a perspective employee is free to chose whether or not to work for a particular company, a perspective student-athlete can choose whether or not to attend school.  If a person chooses to work for a company that has a non-compete clause in the contract, they must abide by it.  In the same way student-athletes must follow the NCAA rules.  They are still free to choose not to attend an NCAA school, drop out of school, or stop playing sports.  But those that choose to be NCAA student-athletes must abide by the NCAA rules.

brandx

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
We're getting a little bit away from my original point.  In my first post I was drawing an analogy to student-athletes being employees even though I know they technically aren't.  It is not akin to price fixing as some other posters contest it is.  But a rule requiring transfers to sit out is legal the same way a non-compete clause is legal.  Legal does not necessarily make it fair for all parties. 

But just as a perspective employee is free to chose whether or not to work for a particular company, a perspective student-athlete can choose whether or not to attend school.  If a person chooses to work for a company that has a non-compete clause in the contract, they must abide by it.  In the same way student-athletes must follow the NCAA rules.  They are still free to choose not to attend an NCAA school, drop out of school, or stop playing sports.  But those that choose to be NCAA student-athletes must abide by the NCAA rules.

Yeah, I put a smiley face on my 1st response for a reason. I wasn't really disagreeing with your point.

And again I agree with your last point, but must point out that a student-athlete doesn't really have a choice. If you are an athlete that hopes to play professionally, quitting is not an option.

My main point, I guess, would be that the NCAA doesn't treat student-athletes fairly. Which we probably agree on and which we don't have all the answers to fix.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Yeah, I put a smiley face on my 1st response for a reason. I wasn't really disagreeing with your point.

And again I agree with your last point, but must point out that a student-athlete doesn't really have a choice. If you are an athlete that hopes to play professionally, quitting is not an option.

My main point, I guess, would be that the NCAA doesn't treat student-athletes fairly. Which we probably agree on and which we don't have all the answers to fix.

Can you elaborate on this?  The student-athlete could choose the D-league or choose to play international ball, no?  The student-athlete could also choose not to be an athlete at all if he feels that he is being treated unfairly.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Our coach is a good man. I am sure that as a former player he understands things from the student-athlete's perspective. I am proud to say Wojo is our coach.

(Compare that with Bo Ryan...No thank you)

Let's not make Bo out to be something he is not. DeAaron Williams, Mickey Perry, George Marshall and Ian Markolf all were free to go wherever they wanted. I expect the responses to be that it's because they weren't any good and Uthoff actually had some talent. Realistically, Bo was pissed because Uthoff made his girlfriend break the news of his transfer, and he believed Iowa was tampering (who really knows?) Bo is fine. Why throw rocks when your last two coaches were pretty low character guys? So far, Wojo seems like a genuine dude and a good coach.

As for Jarrod, he'd still be coming off the bench at Wisconsin anyways. He's not ahead of Kaminsky, Dekker, or Hayes. Against the 4 majors Iowa has played this year, he's averaging 11.2 on 36% from the floor.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:55:52 PM by OnWisconsin »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »
Let's not make Bo out to be something he is not. DeAaron Williams, Mickey Perry, George Marshall and Ian Markolf all were free to go wherever they wanted. I expect the responses to be that it's because they weren't any good and Uthoff actually had some talent. Realistically, Bo was pissed because Uthoff made his girlfriend break the news of his transfer, and he believed Iowa was tampering (who really knows?) Bo is fine. Why throw rocks when your last two coaches were pretty low character guys? So far, Wojo seems like a genuine dude and a good coach.

As for Jarrod, he'd still be coming off the bench at Wisconsin anyways. He's not ahead of Kaminsky, Dekker, or Hayes. Against the 4 majors Iowa has played this year, he's averaging 11.2 on 36% from the floor.

Honestly, this is all probably true. And if he hadn't banned the entire ACC I doubt it would have even made the news. But he did, and it seemed/seems petty.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
Honestly, this is all probably true. And if he hadn't banned the entire ACC I doubt it would have even made the news. But he did, and it seemed/seems petty.

Yeah, I guess that seemed pretty bizarre. At the end of the day, Iowa was the reason he left, he got to go where he wanted. I'm sure the media outcry helped, but regardless.

feedback