collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin ranked as worst state for black Americans.  (Read 11363 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wisconsin ranked as worst state for black Americans.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Ahh...the real reason Deonte and Dawson are transferring.

All kidding aside, thank you for the link.  This doesn't really surprise me unfortunately.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
yet a brother like 4ever still sticks around, aina?

exercisevanity

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
What a crock. Our football team wears Jamaican colors.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:52 PM »
By far, the best article I've seen on the subject.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/11984741/whitlock-why-black-folks-breathe

I support Law and Order.
Who supports Chaos?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:04 AM »
I was at MU during the Harold Brier regime. I would have hated to be a black man in Milwaukee back then.

http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/06/22/chief-flynn-invokes-chief-brier-to-curb-crime-in-the-inner-city/

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Not sure I believe it, this guy looks very happy

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »

Post of the year.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
a problem is money.  it never makes it to where it does any good.  it goes into the "do gooder" organizations and they distribute it to their cronies who are supposed to get it to those who need it and use it for it's purpose-education, job training, life's essentials, etc. by the time it gets to it's end purpose, or where it's supposed to go, it's all watered down to pennies on the dollar.  yes, that is a simplistic view, but, it's kind of a quick overview that i'm sure can and will be expanded on.  as eric holder said, when it comes to discussions on race, we are cowards.  it's a fine line we walk to discuss it-many are quick to pull the "r" card if they disagree.  when other prominent african americans try to discuss it, many times they are called "uncle toms" if they stray to far from the accepted lines. charles barkley, just a couple of weeks ago, was very candid about his ethnic group and it wasn't very promising

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/charles-barkley-russell-wilson-not-black-enough/

sheriff david clarke has been getting a lot of national attention recently and one of his views were quite refreshingly a good start to opening up an uncowardly discussion without getting political

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/clarke-forgive-white-slavery/2014/12/11/id/612600/

don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »
I was at MU during the Harold Brier regime. I would have hated to be a black man in Milwaukee back then.

http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/06/22/chief-flynn-invokes-chief-brier-to-curb-crime-in-the-inner-city/

Interesting fact is that three Marquette students were important witnesses to the Lacy confrontation.  Their testimony was central to the conviction of the police officers involved.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Interesting fact is that three Marquette students were important witnesses to the Lacy confrontation.  Their testimony was central to the conviction of the police officers involved.

Milwaukee under Brier was like 1936 Berlin. I knew a couple MU students who got tickets for jaywalking. And God help you if you were black.

Death on call

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
Milwaukee under Brier was like 1936 Berlin. I knew a couple MU students who got tickets for jaywalking. And God help you if you were black.

1st thing Frank Fanella and Steve McDonald (RAs)*  told us in our first floor meeting was do not J walk.  MPD was all over it.

*Really good RAs.  Shout out in case they are Scoopers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »

Don't know who the chief of police was, but on a Saturday night just past midnight in April of 1970 my girlfriend and I crossed Wells St in mid block on our way to the Lanche. We were stopped by a beat cop for jaywalking. As he wrote out our tickets, he inquired as to our status at MU. We told him we were seniors, graduating in a month. With that, he called a paddy wagon to take us to the station at 8th and State. We were stunned, but he explained that since we would be gone (graduated) before our court date we would have to put up bail money in lieu of our fine if found guilty. She got to ride up front, I was in the back next to a couple of father rapers/mother stabbers. We were processed at the station, put up our bail and got to walk back to campus at about 2:30 AM. Left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth towards Milwaukee's finest.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 03:53:10 PM »
Don't know who the chief of police was, but on a Saturday night just past midnight in April of 1970 my girlfriend and I crossed Wells St in mid block on our way to the Lanche. We were stopped by a beat cop for jaywalking. As he wrote out our tickets, he inquired as to our status at MU. We told him we were seniors, graduating in a month. With that, he called a paddy wagon to take us to the station at 8th and State. We were stunned, but he explained that since we would be gone (graduated) before our court date we would have to put up bail money in lieu of our fine if found guilty. She got to ride up front, I was in the back next to a couple of father rapers/mother stabbers. We were processed at the station, put up our bail and got to walk back to campus at about 2:30 AM. Left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth towards Milwaukee's finest.

Lenny

It is mind boggling you two were treated that way for something as benign as crossing the street. That someone can deprive an American person of their freedom for any period of time is an outrage. This is not why subjects grabbed musket and threw off the shackles of arbitrary tyranny in order to become citizens. 

While living overseas I bought a nice house in an upscale suburb of Dallas which was home to PepsiCo Foods International. During one of my trips back to Texas I realized after a long rung I needed some things from Tom Thumb so I grabbed some cash off the counter as well as my car keys and headed off on a minor errand. A local cop saw a sweaty driver with unkempt hair in a brand new German automobile and began to follow me. After a few blocks he finally pulled me over. I had not broken any traffic laws. He pulled me over because I didn't "belong." Unfortunately I didn't have my wallet; the only thing that got me off the hook was the DoD sticker from Carswell AFB on my front window and my ability to answer questions that only one who had been in the military would know.

People in the majority cannot appreciate how being singled out is an assault on human dignity. And unless you have experienced you cannot comprehend how demeaning it is to one's sense of self.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
Lenny

It is mind boggling you two were treated that way for something as benign as crossing the street. That someone can deprive an American person of their freedom for any period of time is an outrage. This is not why subjects grabbed musket and threw off the shackles of arbitrary tyranny in order to become citizens. 

While living overseas I bought a nice house in an upscale suburb of Dallas which was home to PepsiCo Foods International. During one of my trips back to Texas I realized after a long rung I needed some things from Tom Thumb so I grabbed some cash off the counter as well as my car keys and headed off on a minor errand. A local cop saw a sweaty driver with unkempt hair in a brand new German automobile and began to follow me. After a few blocks he finally pulled me over. I had not broken any traffic laws. He pulled me over because I didn't "belong." Unfortunately I didn't have my wallet; the only thing that got me off the hook was the DoD sticker from Carswell AFB on my front window and my ability to answer questions that only one who had been in the military would know.

People in the majority cannot appreciate how being singled out is an assault on human dignity. And unless you have experienced you cannot comprehend how demeaning it is to one's sense of self.

I've had a very similar experience, only thing that saved me was having my log book in my gym bag....California is the worst.

One thing that I have often thought about though is the role the human brain plays in all this.  I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses but there is science to indicate the brain actually "profiles" subconsciously.  The brain has to process so much information that it has to look for short cuts.  It's why clouds look like rabbits and people think they see ghosts, etc.  The brain is looking for familiarity it what it sees/processes and says this things seems awfully like that thing, they must be the same thing.

I don't think it's an excuse or a justification, but I do think it is something that needs to be talked about so that it can be incorporated into the process to avoid "which one of these is not like the other" processing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »
I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses but there is science to indicate the brain actually "profiles" subconsciously. 

A colleague and good friend of mine is an Academy grad who, after flying strike Eagles, went to Wharton for his MBA. He is a respectable, responsible husband, father, and employee. He said nothing drives home the feeling of being different than trying to get a cab in NYC at night. Despite being in a tailored suit cabbies will slow down only to speed away once they see he is black. People who think that America is color blind tend to be white. 

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
A colleague and good friend of mine is an Academy grad who, after flying strike Eagles, went to Wharton for his MBA. He is a respectable, responsible husband, father, and employee. He said nothing drives home the feeling of being different than trying to get a cab in NYC at night. Despite being in a tailored suit cabbies will slow down only to speed away once they see he is black. People who think that America is color blind tend to be white. 

That's a different scenario than what I'm talking about.  That is overt and intentional.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
Yeah, damn all those WASP cabbies. Or were it perhaps other minorities and immigrants displaying real racism?

PS - I don't trust cops farther than I can throw them.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
ZFB got a jaywalking ticket while at MU.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »
Yeah, damn all those WASP cabbies. Or were it perhaps other minorities and immigrants displaying real racism?

PS - I don't trust cops farther than I can throw them.

Does it really matter who's doing it?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »
I remember having MPD cars pace me when they came upon me on one of the islands in the middle of Wisconsin Avenue, anticipating my jaywalking.   I saw them and went to the nearest crosswalk, but that was indeed a thing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
I remember having MPD cars pace me when they came upon me on one of the islands in the middle of Wisconsin Avenue, anticipating my jaywalking.   I saw them and went to the nearest crosswalk, but that was indeed a thing.   

Wow, by '99 they didn't seem to care a fig about jaywalking