[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 90127 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
I think Wally is a lot better then people give him credit for.

He better have improved A LOT from his time with the gophers then
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
Burton's decision doesn't make sense at this moment. He just screwed himself out of so much eligibility. At least stick it out this year so you get 2 years lol.

And Dawson really only has 1.5 left too even though he played in 1 game this year? Wow, that blows.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Burton's decision doesn't make sense at this moment. He just screwed himself out of so much eligibility. At least stick it out this year so you get 2 years lol.

And Dawson really only has 1.5 left too even though he played in 1 game this year? Wow, that blows.

Since he only played in one game can he petition for a full year?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
We lost a couple of good players today.  Obviously most of us expected Dawson to transfer - but Burton?  Comes as a pretty big bombshell - and loss for the MU program.  Clearly it didn't click between Deonte and Wojo.  You never want to see a Top 50 local kid transfer, that showed a lot of promise as a freshman.

Can't blame either one of them for their decision - Dawson's was a no-brainer, yet Deonte had to be quite frustrated as well given his limited playing time considering he blossomed at end of last season and earned All Big East Freshman honors (in 12 minutes per game.)

Both will have nice careers elsewhere, and let's hope Wojo's replacements/plan work.  Losing Burton, in my opinion, is a red flag.  As for Dawson, clearly Wojo wanted John to transfer (no other reason you nail a guy like that, who showed some promise as a freshman to the bench.)  Let's hope Wojo's talent evaluation skills are precise.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »

Not true....

Respect the process.....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
 As for Dawson, clearly Wojo wanted John to transfer (no other reason you nail a guy like that, who showed some promise as a freshman to the bench.)  Let's hope Wojo's talent evaluation skills are precise.

I heard it was mutual and the nailing was done to benefit JD.  He should be able to get a full year now.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shark

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
We lost a couple of good players today.  Obviously most of us expected Dawson to transfer - but Burton?  Comes as a pretty big bombshell - and loss for the MU program.  Clearly it didn't click between Deonte and Wojo.  You never want to see a Top 50 local kid transfer, that showed a lot of promise as a freshman.

Can't blame either one of them for their decision - Dawson's was a no-brainer, yet Deonte had to be quite frustrated as well given his limited playing time considering he blossomed at end of last season and earned All Big East Freshman honors (in 12 minutes per game.)

Both will have nice careers elsewhere, and let's hope Wojo's replacements/plan work.  Losing Burton, in my opinion, is a red flag.  As for Dawson, clearly Wojo wanted John to transfer (no other reason you nail a guy like that, who showed some promise as a freshman to the bench.)  Let's hope Wojo's talent evaluation skills are precise.

Look, I was as big a fan of Burton's as you but let's not sit here and act like this means Wojo is a failure. Deonte looked generally horrible in the time he played this year. He forced nearly every possession he touched and played some bad defense. I think it's just a different system and Deonte also has been going through some issues as have been highlighted. If you look at the guys coming in and the way Wojo's offense has been run you start to understand why Deonte may have felt it was a good idea to leave.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

Why is losing Burton a red flag? He did not fit the system. Wojo knows what he wants and will build his program. In a few years we will see how it all works out. Burton looked like he has regressed from last season.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Not true....

Respect the process.....
True, unless he can qualify for a medical redshirt.  Also muddying the water is that he played in the exhibition game and the closed scrimmage at VA.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
Not true....

Respect the process.....

What does this even mean.....?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Since he only played in one game can he petition for a full year?

What I am gathering is that he can't. That would really suck for him. Basically lost 2.5 years of college basketball in 1 season for sporadic playing time. Dang.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
Look, I was as big a fan of Burton's as you but let's not sit here and act like this means Wojo is a failure. Deonte looked generally horrible in the time he played this year. He forced nearly every possession he touched and played some bad defense. I think it's just a different system and Deonte also has been going through some issues as have been highlighted. If you look at the guys coming in and the way Wojo's offense has been run you start to understand why Deonte may have felt it was a good idea to leave.

Not saying it means Wojo is a failure by any means - but it raises a red flag..or perhaps more appropriate a Yellow flag.  You never want to see a Top 50, local recruit, that has a ton of potential transfer out of your program halfway through his sophomore year/your first semester as a head coach.

I agree Deonte struggled this season, yet he showed A LOT as a freshman, and for whatever reason regressed under Wojo this season - perhaps as simple as his Mom's passing - yet also probably due to it not clicking between him and Wojo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
I'm heartbroken.

Which one broke up with you, ruining your weekend/holiday plans?

Shark

• All American
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
Not saying it means Wojo is a failure by any means - but it raises a red flag..or perhaps more appropriate a Yellow flag.  You never want to see a Top 50, local recruit, that has a ton of potential transfer out of your program halfway through his sophomore year/your first semester as a head coach.

I agree Deonte struggled this season, yet he showed A LOT as a freshman, and for whatever reason regressed under Wojo this season - perhaps as simple as his Mom's passing - yet also probably due to it not clicking between him and Wojo.

Most top 50 local guys don't have their mom die in the same year as a complete coaching staff overhaul. That's also excluding the fact that 4 guys who will be coming onto the roster next year can take some of his minutes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
Deonte was a great kid. Would always talk to people around campus, pretty smart kid too. John was also a good guy. As I mentioned the other day he randomly dropped by my friends apartment. Both of them will be missed. Im especially going to miss Deonte who was an ESPN top 10 play waiting to happen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »

Is it more of a red flag than losing Mbakwe or Christopherson?
as you know, it's common for a kid to bolt when a new coach comes in and he doesn't fit in with what the coach is trying to do. For all we know, the only thing that kept Deonte from transferring before the semester began was his need to stay in town for his mother.

Is it wishful thinking to hope this is the last we hear of John Dawson's promise?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
What I am gathering is that he can't. That would really suck for him. Basically lost 2.5 years of college basketball in 1 season for sporadic playing time. Dang.

Not correct - he loses 1.5 years.  He'll be eligible for 2.5 college seasons elsewhere...think Luke Fischer...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
I heard it was mutual and the nailing was done to benefit JD.  He should be able to get a full year now.

Neither are true...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
Not correct - he loses 1.5 years.  He'll be eligible for 2.5 college seasons elsewhere...think Luke Fischer...

No, Luke was a freshman when he transferred. Deonte and John are sophomores.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Fischer was a frosh.  Dawson is a soph.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »
Is it more of a red flag than losing Mbakwe or Christopherson?
as you know, it's common for a kid to bolt when a new coach comes in and he doesn't fit in with what the coach is trying to do. For all we know, the only thing that kept Deonte from transferring before the semester began was his need to stay in town for his mother.

Is it wishful thinking to hope this is the last we hear of John Dawson's promise?

I think it's more of a red flag, because in Burton and Dawson's case - they both bought into what Wojo sold upon his hire and decided to stay.  Then after 2 months of practice/games, they felt it best to go elsewhere.

And obviously won't have a lot to say about Dawson's potential/promise moving forward, but of course will follow his career elsewhere...much as many of us do with transfers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »

I'm confused.  Let's see if I have this correct.  The logic applies for both John and Deonte.  BOTH accrued minutes here in 2014-15 so that counts as the Sophomore year eligibility.  Both will presumably suit up after winter exams next Christmas and play one half a season counting as their Junior year.  So each only has 1.5 years left.  Just like Luke has 2.5 years left.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:01:32 PM by jsglow »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »

No.

If they both transfer right now, they will be eligible for half of their junior year, and all of their senior year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Not saying it means Wojo is a failure by any means - but it raises a red flag..or perhaps more appropriate a Yellow flag.  You never want to see a Top 50, local recruit, that has a ton of potential transfer out of your program halfway through his sophomore year/your first semester as a head coach.

Not sure why you want to make these things personal. In all likelihood, they're not.
We've now seen two Marquette head coaches who:
a) Didn't think John Dawson deserved minutes over other guys on the roster, including Derrick Wilson
b) Limited Deonte Burton's minutes despite his obvious athleticism and offensive skills.

Who knows .... maybe Wojo just didn't like Deonte and Dawson. But it's far, far, far more likely that he - like the coach before him - found some facets of their games lacking and believed there were better options.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
Apparently, Burton meant more to program than Wojo.  Wish Burton and Dawson the best but, sorry, I'll put my money with Wojo.

feedback