Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89944 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
But wait, if Wojo wins too much, he will leave us..................

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
Not happy about this--better get out the silver linings playbook, and start stroking the juju.

You talkin' 'bout BeeJay again?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
Wojo spent his entire assistant coaching career under Coach K.  Being at Duke that long and not being at any other institution, Wojo has learned a system that has been extremely successful and probably will not change his strategy in the near future.

If you look at the Duke program and insert the MU 2015 players, they always have a couple of bigmen (Fischer, Heldt), one or two power forward types (Taylor/Henry Ellenson) and a whole bunch of others ranging in height.  The one common thread of these players is that they can shoot and play defense.  Again, shoot and play defense.  The college game has changed over the years and the three point shot has become one of the main aspects.  Duke takes a lot of three pointers and always has. In 2015, MU will have, and Wojo will probably continue to fill, players of that category:

Du Wilson
Nick N
Cheatham (yes this guy can shoot)
JJJ
Wally Ellenson
Cohen

Maybe Burton didn't fit into the outside shooting aspect and he was not real effective on defense, but something did not fit placing him in that category.  Otherwise his minutes would not have been those of basically a bench role player.  He is athletic though and will be a welcome addition to many programs.  

Dawson, well, I don't think anyone has a clue as to what happened there.  

The team will surely look for a point guard, then in 2016 a potential replacement for Henry.

Eight kids on the roster, going to be a long year, but I believe Wojo is "mirroring" the Duke system and those who could not fit in are moving on.  

One problem with "mirroring" the Duke system. We're not Duke. Duke can always get the cream at any position, we can't. So do you recruit to a system or fit the system to the best players you can recruit? Unless you're Duke, maybe you have to "build a new house" every year to be really successful. I guess we'll see.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
Those two are not Wojo's recruits...best of luck to them

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »

Nothing so far.  My guess is that it will only be BE schools.

No Wisconsin as well

He will be a great addition to Iowa State

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
Deonte, John, I hope you find a school that is the right fit for you.    Good luck in your future endeavors.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Unfortunately, how much talent is still available, or has Wojo already been pursuing. Maybe Burton will transfer to El Buzzo.

What about the North Carolina kid that Wojo recently went to see.  Seems like some high major are just getting involved!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
I think Henry's going to be more of a stretch four, in the Kyle Singler mold (tempted to throw out the names Durant, Love and Nowitzki, but keeping expectations in check).

I've been comparing Henry to Rasheed Wallace lately. Rasheed had a money inside/out game
Bring back FFP!!!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2014, 02:58:21 PM »
Thanks for this post.

Defaulting to 'doesn't fit what Wojo is looking for' is intentionally turning a blind eye to the reality that a young, still developing and talented player is leaving the program.

I'm one who believes that despite Wojo's petigree, MU will never recruit with the likes of Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/etc. and is inclined to believe that recruiting the best players from your geographical area and keeping them here is important.

I agree.  I am totally bummed out

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
I guess will really see how good of a recruiter Wojo is if we are going to succeed. Will be nice to see a Marquette team that can shoot and defend. Looks like he will be going after the same kind of player Bo Ryan likes to recruit. Have to give Wojo credit to take his lumps now for future success.
My hope is that it is a win/win for the coach and departing players.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
One problem with "mirroring" the Duke system. We're not Duke. Duke can always get the cream at any position, we can't. So do you recruit to a system or fit the system to the best players you can recruit? Unless you're Duke, maybe you have to "build a new house" every year to be really successful. I guess we'll see.

Of course MU is not Duke, no one is.  But, the system and type of players are, so you recruit to the system.  The only system that Wojo has been around and has experience with. As far as recruits, MU is not exactly at the bottom of the pile, they have a boatload of Top 100 players.  Like you said, we'll see, but the signs are becoming obvious and wish Wojo well in getting it done.

brandx

« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
Awww, x-ie you will. 

I didn't mean it sarcastically - just that you are free to believe what you choose and it's nobody's business.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Of course MU is not Duke, no one is.  But, the system and type of players are, so you recruit to the system.  The only system that Wojo has been around and has experience with. As far as recruits, MU is not exactly at the bottom of the pile, they have a boatload of Top 100 players.  Like you said, we'll see, but the signs are becoming obvious and wish Wojo well in getting it done.

Agreed

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
The sooner WoJo makes this program his, the better. Bumstead clearly had a different business model than Steve. I'm down with this and 100% behind WoJo and his vision for Marquette basketball.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
The sooner WoJo makes this program his, the better. Bumstead clearly had a different business model than Steve. I'm down with this and 100% behind WoJo and his vision for Marquette basketball.

Preach it, doc.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
Respect the process

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
Deonte's a 2? No way, at least not yet. That's his position in the NBA, but he's a very long shot for that at this juncture.

sure he is.  He has just had to play out of position so far.  I was responding to the fact that Burton wasn't going to lose minutes to Heldt, Ellenson, and Fisher.  With those guys in the mix he had a great shot of being our 2/3 on the floor.

brandx

« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »
I've been comparing Henry to Rasheed Wallace lately. Rasheed had a money inside/out game

Never thought of it before, but that may be a pretty good comparison. Certainly better than Durrant or Love.

brandx

« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
sure he is.  He has just had to play out of position so far.  I was responding to the fact that Burton wasn't going to lose minutes to Heldt, Ellenson, and Fisher.  With those guys in the mix he had a great shot of being our 2/3 on the floor.

Not to attack Burton cuz I was a fan - but did you ever see him dribble to his right?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
Not to attack Burton cuz I was a fan - but did you ever see him dribble to his right?

Nope, and I loved watching him play as well.  Have to wonder how coachable the guy is.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »

To be a 2 or a 2/3 at the D1 level Deonte would have to improve his ball handling skills exponentially.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
sure he is.  He has just had to play out of position so far.  I was responding to the fact that Burton wasn't going to lose minutes to Heldt, Ellenson, and Fisher.  With those guys in the mix he had a great shot of being our 2/3 on the floor.

Well, if he wasn't earning minutes at the 2/3 this year -  those minutes instead going to Derrick Wilson, Sandy Cohen, Duane Wilson and JJJ - what makes you think he had a "great" shot at getting those minutes next year, when MU loses only Derrick and adds Cheatham, Noskowiak and Wally Ellenson to that mix?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:26:36 PM by Pakuni »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »
During a game last year, someone who was broadcasting the game (I think it was Kevin O'Neil) commented on Burton's talent and said something to the effect of, "Look how good he is right now, and he has absolutely no idea what he is doing out there".

That resonated with me as I don't recall the last time I saw a frosh who looked so lost defensively and had no idea how to move without the ball.  I don't know anything about the high school he came out of, but it seemed he was a guy who had little understanding how to play at the college level.

That said, the talent is there and I thought he carried himself very well on the court.  With a year off developing his game, he could be very good in a few years.  I am very disappointed that he won't be with Marquette when/if that happens.  I wish him and John all the best.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
I think Wally is a lot better then people give him credit for.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »

Totally agree...and we don't need the (though who would not like to have them) the 4 and 5 star Duke type players to win. Just look at Butler and Creighton and dare say UW; and they are doing pretty well. I think Wojo knows the kind of players he wants and will find them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:29:25 PM by muwarrior69 »