Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89965 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Dawson, we all had an inkling.  Burton, blindsided.  Where were our so-called posters with sources when we needed them?  LOL.

You really seem to have a hard time understanding that if someone with a source reveals their source, the well often times dries up.

brandx

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
To those who say Deonte didn't fit what Wojo was looking for- what exactly is the mold Wojo is looking for, and what about Deonte didn't fit that mold?

Being a 6'4" power forward. Never beat the big boys that way.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
Dawson, we all had an inkling.  Burton, blindsided.  

I don't get why. This  comes as absolutely no surprise to me.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »
Right on brandx.You nailed it

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
This would have some semblance of an analogy, if, you know, Burton played PG.

Well we've been running a 3 guard offense this year. Run a standard two guard offense with Duane & Carlino instead, then a lot of minutes open elsewhere.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Being a 6'4" power forward. Never beat the big boys that way.

I don't think that's fair or accurate.

Deonte has shown the potential to be a very good college combo forward.

He's not very good this season, but that doesn't mean he's automatically a bad player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
Obviously I dont know the details, but I sincerely hope that Wojo isn't setting the Vincent-MU bridge ablaze.

Who cares?  Talk about a high school program going down hill and being poorly coached...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
He doesn't have the skill set to play any of the 3 perimeter positions.That is the problem.He is an undersized 4 man.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
He doesn't have the skill set YET to play any of the 3 perimeter positions.That is the problem.He is an undersized 4 man.

I'm not saying Deonte is magically going to be an all-conf. SF tomorrow, but the idea that his entire fate is based upon being an undersized 4 is short sighted.

He's an explosive athlete that needs more development on both ends of the floor.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
Wow. Shocked about Burton.  Sad to see him go, as I really liked watching him play.
Will be very interesting to see what Wojo does.   I loved Burton, but it probably doesn't change my expectation for this year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
It's very possible that with the passing of his mother, Deonte just wants to get away from Milwaukee for a while. IIRC, he chose MU over Illinois. Perhaps he'll join Milwaukee-native Bruce Weber at K-State.

Where ever both of these young men end up, I wish them the best.

brandx

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
I don't think that's fair or accurate.

Deonte has shown the potential to be a very good college combo forward.

He's not very good this season, but that doesn't mean he's automatically a bad player.

I didn't mean to infer he is is a bad player. I think he is good enough to score 15+ and help a mid-major win a conference title. But one of the things I like to say is "you are what you can defend". And Deonte won't ever be able to defend a '2' or a '3' adequately at a high level.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:48 PM »
Hopeful = team has been playing tremendous defense and has the possibility of winning at least some of its league games.  Burton is a freakish athlete
              that isn't your typical bench warmer.  He will develop into a significant scorer for some team and has the talent to take over a game.

Despair = 8 players without even a walk-on runs an incredible risk with regard to fouls, injuries, options.  One walking boot to a one of our bigs is
              more than a problem.

I wish Deonte well.  Has to be more to the story.  The young guy has had a tough semester with the loss of his Mom.  One thing he does need is a team that supports him.  Too bad.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm not saying Deonte is magically going to be an all-conf. SF tomorrow, but the idea that his entire fate is based upon being an undersized 4 is short sighted.

He's an explosive athlete that needs more development on both ends of the floor.

There was a lot of good riddance sentiment regarding Maymon with people saying he'd never get it. Maymon spent the last 50-60 games of his career being a valuable contributor for Tennessee. I agree with you and can't quite understand why so many people here are pooh-poohing the idea that Burton could be a valuable college player in the future.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2014, 02:11:30 PM »
There is no positive way to spin this one.  This year has just gone from hopeful to dispair.

Deonte was playing 16 mostly ineffective minutes per game off the bench.
I'm sad to see him go, too, and I don't think this helps MU at all this season, but he wasn't exactly the key to the team's success.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
You really seem to have a hard time understanding that if someone with a source reveals their source, the well often times dries up.

Not at all.  I'm just not willing to blindly accept unequivocal statements without some idea of how credible the sourcing is.  Not the poster, the sourcing.  

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
There was a lot of good riddance sentiment regarding Maymon with people saying he'd never get it. Maymon spent the last 50-60 games of his career being a valuable contributor for Tennessee. I agree with you and can't quite understand why so many people here are pooh-poohing the idea that Burton could be a valuable college player in the future.

No pooh-poohing here.  What I saw of Burton last season was a lot of potential.  He showed none of that this season.  Coaching or coachability?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
I didn't mean to infer he is is a bad player. I think he is good enough to score 15+ and help a mid-major win a conference title. But one of the things I like to say is "you are what you can defend". And Deonte won't ever be able to defend a '2' or a '3' adequately at a high level.

I guess right now, I agree. I still see upside and a lot of development in his game.

I think he can become a good combo forward.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
He doesn't have the skill set to play any of the 3 perimeter positions.That is the problem.He is an undersized 4 man.

Gotta disagree here.

In limited attempts last season he shot better from 3 than JJJ (.290), Anderson (.192), Taylor (.154) or Wilson (.071).  Of the players returning who took less than 40 3pt attempts he shot significantly better than every 1-3 position returning to the roster.

He averaged more rebounds per 40 minutes than Derrick, Mayo, Dawson, Thomas, or JJJ - in other words the only players to out rebound him were our bigs that played more minutes (Gardner, Otule, Jamil, Anderson)

His limitations this season for the most part is BECAUSE he's forced to play out of position.  He would be fine at the 3 if we had the bodies inside to allow him to use his physical advantages over others at the position.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:19:41 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
My bet it Burton to Iowa State the school for broken toys.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
After Odartey Blankson transferred a week after being named captain, no transfer surprises me anymore.

Good luck to both young men.  John, we'll always have the Georgetown game.  Deonte, your dunks were fun to watch and Wally Ellenson will have to pick up the slack.  The past two dunk contests, especially your duel with Wally, were very entertaining.

I think both will go on to be solid players at their next stop.  I also think Wojo will find some pieces to keep MU moving on an upward trajectory.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »

It doesn't imply anything of the sort.  A player can come to the same conclusion - that how the coach wants him to play isn't a match for his skills or isn't how he wants to play the game.  

I have no doubt at all that Wojo would have kept Deonte.

I don't think so. I think Buzz and Wojio want two completely different types of players.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
My bet it Burton to Iowa State the school for broken toys.

keep in mind the "school of broken toys" is 13/14 in the polls with 1 loss. We have 3 losses, and are not projected to make the tournament

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
keep in mind the "school of broken toys" is 13/14 in the polls with 1 loss. We have 3 losses, and are not projected to make the tournament

Actually, we have 4 losses. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LON

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
Gotta disagree here.

In limited attempts last season he shot better from 3 than JJJ (.290), Anderson (.192), Taylor (.154) or Wilson (.071).  Of the players returning who took less than 40 3pt attempts he shot significantly better than every 1-3 position returning to the roster.

He averaged more rebounds per 40 minutes than Derrick, Mayo, Dawson, Thomas, or JJJ - in other words the only players to out rebound him were our bigs that played more minutes (Gardner, Otule, Jamil, Anderson)

His limitations this season for the most part is BECAUSE he's forced to play out of position.  He would be fine at the 3 if we had the bodies inside to allow him to use his physical advantages over others at the position.

With the addition of Luke, and the size next year, it would appear he's the one being short-sighted.

Still doesn't address the most glaring deficiency in his game right now:  defense.