[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89259 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Grades?

Deonte was sticking around for his mom. Maybe there's nothing tethering him to the city anymore.

Kinda thinking the same thing, that Deonte might feel he has no reason to be in MKE anymore.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
No way Deonte is a 2G.He size says he should be a 2G but his skills are know where near good enough to be a 2.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »
Wow. Just got word.  Good luck gentlemen.

So we have 3 open schollys?  There simply have to be Juco's or Grad transfers in that mix.  Can't possibly want 7 Frosh on next year's team.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:28:14 PM by jsglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Thanks for this post.

Defaulting to 'doesn't fit what Wojo is looking for' is intentionally turning a blind eye to the reality that a young, still developing and talented player is leaving the program

Who is turning a blind eye?  I don't think Wojo is generally interested in players with his type of game.  That isn't an excuse.  I wish it could have worked.  But it didn't.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
I doubt that.  He's a 2.  Those guys are 4 and 5s.

Deonte's a 2? No way, at least not yet. That's his position in the NBA, but he's a very long shot for that at this juncture.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

I think Burton is dribble-drive, "paint touches" type of player.  I think Wojo wants more floor spacing and shooting ability.  If you look at the players he is bringing it, I think they generally fit that mold.

Agree with this. The ability to play defense better Than I could is obviously also desireable in the eyes of Wojo.

In the end he's kind of a guy without a position. Just can't guard the guys he would necessarily have to match up with, so he can't be on the floor. Its a good move for him and for MU.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
Deonte is a great athlete but I'm not sure he's a great basketball player. The guys we are recruiting seem to have received great coaching. The one real chance Deonte had at that was Brewster and he didn't last long at all. I think this is one more example of the cultural shift we are undergoing.

I can see that.  I noted to myself a while back how Wojo's recruits seem to lack the hyper-athleticism of Buzz's recruits but make up for that with more general basketball IQ.  Definitely a cultural shift.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
Keep playing a scrub like Juan Anderson instead of a better player with more upside like Burton and this is what you get.  

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
4-4 plus coaches

5-4 with Wally

Maybe a transfer in is coming like Fischer last year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Keep playing a scrub like Juan Anderson instead of a better player with more upside like Burton and this is what you get.  

It took 3 pages but I knew we would get one eventually
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
To those who say Deonte didn't fit what Wojo was looking for- what exactly is the mold Wojo is looking for, and what about Deonte didn't fit that mold?
IQ, teachability, growth.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
To those who say Deonte didn't fit what Wojo was looking for- what exactly is the mold Wojo is looking for, and what about Deonte didn't fit that mold?
Matador D

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Who is turning a blind eye?  I don't think Wojo is generally interested in players with his type of game.  That isn't an excuse.  I wish it could have worked.  But it didn't.

Sultan, it implies that had Wojo wanted him here he'd still be here.  This could be 100% Burton's decision and Wojo could have done everything in his power to keep him here for all we know.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
It took 3 pages but I knew we would get one eventually

I know.  Please.  Let's show some respect.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

So is MU worse off in the long-run (only thing that matters) because a player that clearly didn't fit what the coach wanted to do is transferring out. I guess I don't see anyway to answer yes to that. Just opened up a scholarship to use on a guy that likely will fit in better.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
To Deonte and John, thank you for all of your contributions and best of luck at your next school.  We will be rooting for ya!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
This is going to kill the Derrick Wilson minutes discussion on this board (Dear God, please help it kill the Derrick Wilson minutes discussion on this board.).

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
As Aaron Rodgers said RELAX.Burton is a great athlete right now,but not a very good basketball player yet.Has no idea on the defensive end.His skill set is not good enough to play the perimeter.He is an undersized 4 man,just like Maymon was.I wish him the best.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
Good chance one of these could be filled by a JUCO transfer.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
Sultan, it implies that had Wojo wanted him here he'd still be here.  This could be 100% Burton's decision and Wojo could have done everything in his power to keep him here for all we know.

Maybe, but Deonte's lack of playing time is the surest indication there is of how Wojo believes he fits in with what he wants to do. I doubt Wojo thought it would be ideal to play out the rest of the season with eight players - so in all likelihood he wanted Deonte to stay, at least through the end of the season - but it's also apparent that Wojo wasn't going to give Deonte minutes for the purpose of keeping him in the fold.
That's not intended as a dig on either person. Not every player is right for every coach, and vice versa.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »

It doesn't imply anything of the sort.  A player can come to the same conclusion - that how the coach wants him to play isn't a match for his skills or isn't how he wants to play the game.  

I have no doubt at all that Wojo would have kept Deonte.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
Do we have enough players to field a team?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
Obviously I dont know the details, but I sincerely hope that Wojo isn't setting the Vincent-MU bridge ablaze.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »

He was a 6'3-1/2" post player.  Mediocre jump shot, explosive at the rim, but couldn't defend, couldn't rebound and was lost in a half court set.  My guess is Wojo wants a shooter/defender that is good in transition or a post player that can control the boards.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I'm heartbroken.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback